Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Is this forum ready for a M:I ranking thread or elimination game??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think it needs its own thread but I'd certainly enjoy a ranking/elimination-type game here.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,522
    That plane stunt looks fantastic, but I hope they don't overexpose it like the did the bike stunt in this one.

I'm hoping to catch the film once more in cinemas before it's pulled. Even though it wasn't as great as I'd hoped, I still really enjoyed it.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Is this forum ready for a M:I ranking thread or elimination game??

I'm definitely ready.
    Hopefully there’s enough appetite for this here. Let’s see how they rank.
    Same rules: one vote per day (+1 and -2 OR +1 and -1 and -1).

Let the sport… commence!

Mission: Impossible - 20
    Mission: Impossible Two - 20
    Mission: Impossible Three - 20
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 20
    M:I Rouge Nation - 20
    M:I Fallout - 20
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 20
    This'll be a fun way to pass the time until Dead Reckoning Part One hits 4K in about two months time.

Thursday Vote:

Mission: Impossible Three - 18 (-2)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21 (+1)
    Mission: Impossible Three - 16 (-2)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 22 (+1)
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,007
    Shame the new thread on this 'elimination game; was closed, as it'll screw up this existing thread good and proper.

Still, mods know best, eh?
    In a way, the elimination game thread was, well, eliminated. It was Mission: Impossible to keep it open.

I'll stop now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 18 -2
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 16
    M:I Fallout - 21 +1
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 22
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,006
    After my M:I elimination game thread’s Fallout with the mods, we had to go Rouge and adjust our Protocol to proceed in the Dead Reckoning thread. 😅
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In a way, the elimination game thread was, well, eliminated. It was Mission: Impossible to keep it open.

You'd think the 'mods' might appreciate people wanting to start new threads that might be popular. But no, it's slapped wrist time again.
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 16 -2
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 16
    M:I Rouge Nation - 21 +1
    M:I Fallout - 21
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Damn, 2 is just gonna be eliminated. That doesn’t make me want to participate. You guys do you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 16
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 14 -2
    M:I Rogue Nation - 22 +1
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 16
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 15 +1
    M:I Rogue Nation - 22
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 20 -2
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 17 +1
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 13 -2
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Mission: Impossible 2 - 17
    Mission: Impossible 3 - 11 -2
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 21 +1

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Thursday (8/31)

Mission: Impossible Two - 15 (-2)
    Mission: Impossible Three - 11
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 21
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21 (+1)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Shame the new thread on this 'elimination game; was closed, as it'll screw up this existing thread good and proper.

Still, mods know best, eh?
    mattjoes wrote: »

You'd think the 'mods' might appreciate people wanting to start new threads that might be popular. But no, it's slapped wrist time again.

Thank you for your cocky remarks, @ColonelAdamski, both of them. Now, your membership may be too fresh to remember this, but there were times when everyone and their dog got their own elimination game started. And then we saw 5 or 6 Star Trek threads pop up within seconds. And then people complained they couldn't find their favorite thread anymore. And where the hell was all the Bond stuff? And so on.

So mods know best, eh? No, mods do the unpopular thing, knowing that at least someone will give a caustic comment -- congrats, pal, you gave us two on the same page -- just so that this James Bond forum can remain somewhat comfortable to navigate.

Now, we know that closing a thread is like killing someone's firstborn. At least, that's the interesting observation we have made these past two decades. But we are also told that our attempts at keeping the thread list sober enough are appreciated. So there you go.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 252
    Mission: Impossible Two - 15
    Mission: Impossible Three - 10 (-1)
    M:I Ghost Protocol - 20 (-1)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 22 (+1)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    So mods know best, eh? No, mods do the unpopular thing, knowing that at least someone will give a caustic comment -- congrats, pal, you gave us two on the same page -- just so that this James Bond forum can remain somewhat comfortable to navigate.

Then perhaps you could merge the threads yourself, instead of closing new threads and telling people off like they're naughty schoolkids?

I mean . . .
    No, this is a Bond forum

Come on mate, if you're going to 'police' a forum so heavily, at least do it with some manners.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Then perhaps you could merge the threads yourself, instead of closing new threads and telling people off like they're naughty schoolkids?

I mean . . .
    No, this is a Bond forum

Come on mate, if you're going to 'police' a forum so heavily, at least do it with some manners.

Please take note of the following very kind post,
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't think it needs its own thread but I'd certainly enjoy a ranking/elimination-type game here.

which obviouly didn't get the message through.

And you are right, I could have merged them. I will do that next time.

But "heavily policing a forum"? Come on, mate, we are doing anything but.

And "manners"? Really? We keep asking people not to clog up the thread list. An M:I elimination game... Fine. 7 films. Over in, what, a few pages? Nevermind, we've been trying to run a tidy forum for years, but we have also learned to accept that a small percentage of our members thinks us a bunch of forum fascists -- the term was used in the past -- for doing so. Anyway, I think that after 18 years of being on this forum, I'm fine with my manners.

Anyway, please continue with the game. Not much more to be said.
    Friday Vote:

Mission: Impossible Two - 15
    Mission: Impossible Three - 8 (-2)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 23 (+1)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mission: Impossible Two - 13 -2
    Mission: Impossible Three - 8
    M:I Fallout - 22 +1
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 23
    Mission: Impossible Two - 11 -2
    Mission: Impossible Three - 8
    M:I Rogue Nation - 23 +1
    M:I Fallout - 22
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 23
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Mission: Impossible Two - 11
    Mission: Impossible Three - 9 +1
    M:I Rogue Nation - 23
    M:I Fallout - 22
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21 -2
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 646
    Finally got around to seeing the film before it left theaters. I’ve read some mixed opinions about this one but I had an absolute blast with it, same as I did with each previous entry starting with Ghost Protocol. For now it’s either tied with Fallout or just behind it in my rankings. It was a white knuckle ride all the way through and a truly visceral experience, something the Bond films haven’t been able to deliver in years. The opening with the submarine felt more Bondian to me than pretty much anything in the Craig era. Spy stuff at its best! An immediate callback to my personal favorite Bond film - The Spy Who Loved Me!

And even though I loved the Rome chase and the much advertised bike cliff jump the absolute action highlight for me was the Orient Express train cars dangling over the edge as our heroes make their way from one car to the other. It may not top the absolute best action set piece in the series (Fallout’s mind-blowing helicopter finale) but it comes pretty darn close. And the film ended on just the right note of making us want to see more… will Hunt dive to the bottom of the Arctic Circle to the sunken sub? Can’t wait to see that!

Having said that… I was pretty baffled by all the players aboard the Orient Express and what their roles were. Don’t know if that’s a script issue or if I missed a lot.

1. Why is the real White Widow there? She’s terrified of Gabriel and the Entity and thus is supposed to be on the train to deliver the key to Gabriel. She made that decision at her party the night before. Problem is she doesn’t have the key and she never was able to get it from Grace. Grace is on the train masked as the White Widow which makes sense. But why is the real White Widow there when she has nothing to give to anyone? She has no key. Is she just going to her death?

2. Why is Grace (masked as White Widow) trying to sell the key to Kittridge when she already made the deal to sell it to Gabriel? Doesn’t she know that Gabriel will be on the train expecting the key from her?

3. Why is Cary Elwes on the train? He’s hiding in some train compartment and then all of a sudden reveals to Gabriel that he knows all about this key (he’s behind it and the Entity’s creation apparently) and wants it back to make America super strong (I guess). Is he with Kittridge or on his own? It’s confusing.

4. So Cary Elwes had this Entity machine installed on a Russian sub? And they didn’t know about it? I didn’t get this part. Was it to spy on the Russkies? And then it developed a mind of its own and went rogue ?

5. Confused about the 2 keys. I’m assuming both were on the sub when it was sunk? Otherwise what would be the point of just the 1 key if you need 2 of them to open whatever was on the sub. But it’s stated later that one key was recovered from the body of the dead sub sailor but another key was already in someone else’s possession? That doesn’t make sense. Who had the other key? Wouldn’t it have been where the first key was? With the dead Russian sub sailor?

6. The guy at the beginning who Ethan welcomes as a new IMF member. Who is he and why don’t we see him again?

7. The remote control Citroen - is that an IMF “gadget” car? Or is that some random parked car in Rome? How did Ethan just happen to have access to it on his phone? Or did he park it there ahead of time for an escape, meaning it’s an IMF car?

These are some basic questions that arose. I’m sure there are more. Too much going on, too fast. If anyone can answer them I’d greatly appreciate it. Still, I had a blast watching the film. They do seem to be getting more complicated and twisty with each new entry. Maybe needlessly so. But I guess you gotta raise the bar with each new one.
    @ringfire211, been a while since I last saw it so might overlook some huge details here and wind up incorrect, but:

1. The White Widow possesses one half of the key. Why she's going through with a sale when Grace still has the other half key is indeed a mystery. However, her plan wasn't outright to agree to sell to Gabriel; she was going to sell it to Kittridge, netting her $100 million, whereas Gabriel knew through the Entity that he would wind up with the key no matter what, so he was positioning himself to merely kill and rob whoever obtained it in the end. But you're right, unless I'm overthinking something, Grace ends up fleeing the party with her half of the key still, so Alanna setting up a meet was pretty pointless. Last I recall, there's a bunch of sleight of hand at the party and Grace ends up leaving with it.

2. Again, I don't think Grace had that expectation. She definitely doesn't want it going to Gabriel and is partly using this meet to acquire protection for herself (while disguised as the White Widow). She has that change of heart and ends up canceling the deal, pickpocketing the full key back, and trying to flee. After this point, her sole desire is to keep the key from falling into the wrong hands, despite having her own motivations before.

3. I'm not sure if Kittridge and Denlinger are together but I'm assuming not, considering the latter is hidden away in a cabin. Kittridge just wants America to possess the key and have the power it inevitably unlocks, whereas Denlinger wants it probably for the same reasons but selfishly because he knows the key will eventually prove he had a hand, accidental or not, in the sinking of the sub and wants to clear his name.

4. Yes, I think he considers the Entity having "overperformed" when it infiltrated the Sevastopol and that was when it went rogue.

5. I don't remember that "one key" quote. I was under the impression they were both on the sub and both were retrieved when the bodies later turned up in the melting ice elsewhere.

6. That guy wasn't important, merely a new courier that's a fresh member of the IMF, much like the previous one that delivered the mission to Ethan in Fallout.

7. It's an IMF car. His phone app lists cars and safehouses and something else, if memory serves, so it's hinting at the IMF having assets like this stationed all around the world as a last resort for agents in the field.

I do think the film and its plot points will become a bit more clear with a few more viewings but there's no denying it's very confusing on a first (and even second) viewing and I'm sure a lot of it won't hold up to scrutiny. Even the details I remember are fuzzy and left me confused when typing this up.
    You're nuts if you think I'm going to let MI2 be the first to fall off this list.

Mission: Impossible Two - 12 (+1)
    Mission: Impossible Three - 8 (-1)
    M:I Rogue Nation - 23
    M:I Fallout - 21 (-1)
    M:I Dead Reckoning One - 21