Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Tom Ford and Brioni, one that made Bond suits looked very tight that I can seeing myself having an asthma while wearing those suits, because they're so tight and skinny, and even the close necks are very tight too.

And the other one which made Bond looked like a corporate executive (a CEO or something?😅) (see: Brosnan).

And yes, I'm not on board with safari suits.

Those are the things that Bond shouldn't wear and would looked un-Bondian (out of character).
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 6,677
    This is what Bond should be wearing, even today. Anthony Sinclair should do.

4e95a61134252a6f86f4268547b7a601.jpg
    Univex wrote: »

Exactly!
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Exactly!

Right? Just imagine that’s Bond looking at his smartphone nowadays ;)

That is the ultimate image of what Bond should look like.

Producers take note...

That is the ultimate image of what Bond should look like.

Producers take note...

Agreed.
    BTW, has there been any real news recently as to what is actually happening with Bond26?
    delfloria wrote: »
    BTW, has there been any real news recently as to what is actually happening with Bond26?

@delfloria, @peter just wrote a sum up about that in the next actor thread. Worth a read ;)

It’s amazing isn’t it that a suit from a movie that’s nearly sixty years old wouldn’t look out of place today.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    AstonLotus wrote: »

It’s amazing isn’t it that a suit from a movie that’s nearly sixty years old wouldn’t look out of place today.

If you’re so interested, David Zaritsky of The Bond Experience had one made, and spoke to Anthony Sinclair about it.

Anthony Sinclair is still alive?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited August 2023 Posts: 565
    AstonLotus wrote: »

A Sinclair suit from 1964 would look out of place today, but with a few adjustments could be brought up to date.

No he isn't, another company revived the name.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

As in the brand, cant imagine he is.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Yes, everything about Connery in that photo just radiates Bond. Couldn't be improved. What's also great to me is that while Connery's suit would've looked out of place to a lot of people at various times over the intervening decades, say when wide lapels and double-breasted jackets were almost ubiquitous, it looks fantastic across the board now and would've done so at any point after the 00s. Gives me some hope that taste and style will prevail over fashion. Said it before, but I prefer Bond to look timeless rather than on-trend. Although if he starts the trend (eg. the SF suit and the Barbour), that's fine, obvs! ;)
    edited August 2023 Posts: 565
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, everything about Connery in that photo just radiates Bond. Couldn't be improved. What's also great to me is that while Connery's suit would've looked out of place to a lot of people at various times over the intervening decades, say when wide lapels and double-breasted jackets were almost ubiquitous, it looks fantastic across the board now and would've done so at any point after the 00s. Gives me some hope that taste and style will prevail over fashion. Said it before, but I prefer Bond to look timeless rather than on-trend. Although if he starts the trend (eg. the SF suit and the Barbour), that's fine, obvs! ;)

Connery's suits have a much fuller fit than most modern suits (not just Craig's trendy shrunken ones) and are made of heavier cloths. The trousers also sit higher on the waist and have pleats. As cool as Connery looked in the 60s, if Craig had worn a suit in exactly the same style (at any time during his tenure) he would've looked old-fashioned and out of place. Lazenby's suits in OHMSS actually have more in common with contemporary fashion, while still being classic and timeless.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, indeed - the idea would be to have something that's redolent of it, rather than a straight reproduction.
    Yes, indeed - the idea would be to have something that's redolent of it, rather than a straight reproduction.

Exactly, that’s what I meant :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The following is about Batman casting and rumours, but what’s being said, should answer questions about Bond, the casting and audition and gun-barrel b.s., and the here and now:

“ With no script in place, it's also harder to get through the casting process, as the screenplay can play a vital part in the auditions.”

“DC Studios cannot make any casting decisions for Batman: The Brave and The Bold until the strikes end and a script is finalized, making it difficult to move forward with auditions.”

“ Over the weekend, John Krasinski became the latest Hollywood actor to be rumored for the role of Batman in Gunn's DC Universe. @GetSnart asked Gunn on Threads if there is "no truth" to the DC Universe rumblings regarding the DC icon. Gunn responded, stating "I don't know what you're talking about," but stressing that "we don't even have a script, and there's a strike happening, so no, no casting," referring to the Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA strikes that are still in effect, and how this prevents a DCU Batman casting at the current time.”

Quite apart from the rumor mill, John Krasinski could play Batman.
  • That would definitely be left field, but I don’t hate it. My choice for Batman has been and will always be Jake Gyllenhaal.
    Or JG as The Joker.

Connery's suits have a much fuller fit than most modern suits (not just Craig's trendy shrunken ones) and are made of heavier cloths. The trousers also sit higher on the waist and have pleats. As cool as Connery looked in the 60s, if Craig had worn a suit in exactly the same style (at any time during his tenure) he would've looked old-fashioned and out of place. Lazenby's suits in OHMSS actually have more in common with contemporary fashion, while still being classic and timeless.

Yes, actually Lazenby is one of the most stylish Bond's. Many of his outfits in OHMSS really are timeless. Probably the best one is the grey suit during the Gumbold office scene.

OHMSS_PrinceOfWales-4.jpg

Yes, actually Lazenby is one of the most stylish Bond's. Many of his outfits in OHMSS really are timeless. Probably the best one is the grey suit during the Gumbold office scene.

Yes, I really liked that one! The Dimi Suits are really one of the best Bond suits.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,901

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt that a few of Lazenby's costumes were particularly horrific. So extravagant and colourful in a strange late 60s sort of way.

ie. the frilly ruffled shirt which I can't ever get past for some reason and just generally find un-Bondian.

George-Lazenby-Ruffled-Shirt-2.jpg

The cream white suit and pink shirt combo which I suppose is a precursor to Connery's in DAF.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

The orange jumper and light brown jacket/trouser combo.

On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-Brown-Golfing-Outfit.jpg

And the double breasted suit, which is less indicative of my issues, and is actually ok in itself, but I just don't think Bond should ever wear double breasted suits.

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Some of his darker suits are nice though, I agree. But otherwise I've always felt Lazenby's wardrobe was a bit too 'dandy'-ish for Bond.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,391
    007HallY wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt that a few of Lazenby's costumes were particularly horrific. So extravagant and colourful in a strange late 60s sort of way.

ie. the frilly ruffled shirt which I can't ever get past for some reason and just generally find un-Bondian.

The cream white suit and pink shirt combo which I suppose is a precursor to Connery's in DAF.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

And the double breasted suit, which is less indicative of my issues, and is actually ok in itself, but I just don't think Bond should ever wear double breasted suits.

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Some of his darker suits are nice though, I agree. But otherwise I've always felt Lazenby's wardrobe was a bit too 'dandy'-ish for Bond.

I don't think of that way, if any, Moore's clothing for me are the worst of the Bond wardrobes.

Safari Suits? Bell Bottom Trousers? Colored printed neckties?

Striped Dress shirts/formal shirts? (These are more obvious in FYEO, OP, and AVTAK):
    For-Your-Eyes-Only-Charcoal-Suit-5.jpg
    A-View-to-a-Kill-White-Collar.jpg

And don't get me started on Powder Blue Leisure suit in LALD:
    Leisure-Suit-1024x594.jpg

Half of his suits where he did looked more like a Game Show Host than Bond, but maybe it's just me.

When it comes to the double breasted suits, it depends upon the design, Connery and Lazenby did it well.

Moore? Not so much.

I just think that Moore had the most un-Bondian wardrobe collection of any Bond actor.

And it's one of the things that makes him less credible in the role, his wardrobe, and Moore in his suits did looked a lot more dandy, because of that debonair aspect in him and his clothing.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,901

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

I don't think of that way, if any, Moore's clothing for me are the worst of the Bond wardrobes.
    Safari Suits? Bell Bottom Trousers? Colored printed neckties?

Half of his suits where he did looked more like a Game Show Host than Bond, but maybe it's just me.

When it comes to the double breasted suits, it depends upon the design, Connery and Lazenby did it well.

Moore? Not so much.

I just think that Moore had the most un-Bondian wardrobe collection of any Bond actor.

And it's one of the things that makes him less credible in the role, his wardrobe, and Moore in his suits did looked a lot more dandy, because of that debonair aspect in him and his clothing.

I do find it funny that since they kept the same gun-barrel for Moore's later films you have this strange situation where the first image you see of Bond in an 80s film is him walking across the screen in flares.

His costumes are a bit much at times, and much like Lazenby/Connery in DAF I think it was an attempt to make Bond a bit too stylish and 'trendy'. Moore's wardrobe is a bit tamer in his later films I find (even with the striped shirts with the single coloured collars which defy logic).

Moonraker-Black-Flared-Trousers.jpg

Also looked this up and apparently these are pocketless Angelo Roma trousers, the pocketless aspect being something that crops up throughout his costumes. Absolutely horrid.

But yes, I do think Moore looks a bit too 'dandy'-ish as well at times. I suppose you can argue that's slightly more in line with his Bond. But the late 60s and 70s aren't my favourite era for Bond's wardrobe. I'll happily take duster coats and white shirts/braces any day over much during that period. Personally, I hope ruffled tuxedo shirts, safari suits, flared trousers, orange jumpers, and cream suits/pink tie combos aren't going to be making a reappearance.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Agreed, some of the stuff he wore has dated very badly. I'm referring more to the cut of the suits, which is trim but not too tight.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Agreed, some of the stuff he wore has dated very badly. I'm referring more to the cut of the suits, which is trim but not too tight.

Agreed, the cuts are actually fine, and I think it's what gives it one of the edges on Moore's flared trousers and safari suits.

It's tricky designing for Bond. It has to be classic and at the same time stylish for the era it's in. I actually think the efforts during Craig's era were good in this sense. We never got anything like this, for instance:

Pierce-Brosnan-looked-suave-with-his-brown-tinted-sunglasses-4346536.jpg?r=1666039120317
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 989
    Wasn't that the same suit From Russia With Love?
    From-Russia-with-Love-Navy-Suit.jpg
    BTW i agree with you both @Univex & @AstonLotus those suits look good even today, i wouldn't mind seeing Bond wearing these again.