Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I liked that thing in the first one where it was Cruise playing other characters; in fact he seemed to be the equivalent character to Rollin Hand from the TV show- he was the impersonator on the team. But then by the end of the same film, a mask allowed him to look exactly like Phelps.

Which they kinda limit by keeping him in the shadows and never saying a word, because the voice sticker wasn’t introduced until the second film.
    I had forgotten about Cruise playing that character (to make the mask trick more believable), it is rather clever and a nice touch. The more frequent use of the mask and in so may circumstances as the franchise has developed is not flattering IMHO in terms of the scripts. The more it is used, the less impact it has.
    patb wrote: »
    I had forgotten about Cruise playing that character (to make the mask trick more believable), it is rather clever and a nice touch. The more frequent use of the mask and in so may circumstances as the franchise has developed is not flattering IMHO in terms of the scripts. The more it is used, the less impact it has.

I love the masks because a) they're a staple of the show and b) they're so much fun. But the one that bugs me to no end is in Ghost Protocol, when it's revealed that Hendricks is wearing a mask of Wistrom. First of all, why would he bother to do that? It's utterly pointless. And second, HOW DOES HE HAVE A MASK MAKING MACHINE? That whole moment is so silly. It's a twist that means absolutely nothing. Sort of like Oberhauser saying "My name is Ernst Stavro Blofeld" and 2/3 of the audience who didn't grow up on Bond saying, "Who? Who cares?"
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,519
    One moment I loved in the film. I think it's in one of the trailers
    When Ethan was riding the bike up the mountain and nearly drove over the cliff. He was right on the edge, it was so tense. Everybody in my row leaned forward like we were peering over 😅
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 252
    Uncharted 2 Director Calls Out Mission Impossible 7 for Copying Game

https://thedirect.com/article/uncharted-2-mission-impossible-7-copying-game
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had thought they copied The Lost World...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah it's not like Uncharted 2 somehow created the idea of a dangling train and exciting danger like that.

To be fair though, that article has the worst type of clickbait, attention-grabbing headline, as he did zero "calling out" but rather felt honored by the comparison.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The mask thing is quite silly but it is an important and unique part of the series, so I always enjoy it when it pops up.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's extremely silly but it's no sillier than an Aston Martin with mini-guns at the front. And that's why I love it.
    How do people think the train climax compares to the train action in Runaway Train? for me, it's a no brainer...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Once Dead Reckoning Part One crosses $100 million domestic tonight, Tom Cruise will tie Tom Hanks' record of starring in 22 films to reach that milestone.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 303
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'll be honest I'm glad Jeremy Renner hasn't been in the last two films. Nothing against him personally, but his character wasn’t necessary. He's literally there to tell the audience how impossible the mission is in both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.

I do think Dead Reckoning 1 had too many characters, espicially when compared with Fallout that felt very streamlined.
    Why did nobody (including her brother Zola) pick up on the fact Alana had brown eyes during the meeting. I thought that would be a dead giveaway that it was Grace. I mean Vanessa Kirby has piercing blue eyes

Jeremy Renner's participation in MI7 would have been rather problematic (to put it mildly!) given the fact he almost died around the time MI7 was in the final months of filming.

Renner suffered serious injuries in a snow plough accident on January 1st 2023. Filming on MI7 part 1 ended April 2023.
    The film's director Christopher McQuarrie confirmed the end of production on Instagram on Saturday (April 29)

If Renner was in MI7 and was required to film scenes up to April the film would be delayed many months to allow Renner to recover - he is now able to walk, I think he uses a walking stick - or Renner's role would be removed from the final cut.

Renner was very lucky to survive his accident. From all accounts it was an horrific incident.
    thedove wrote: »
    What logic would dictate that a member of the team take over? Why not just have a new Ethan Hunt and reboot? Or have a different lead character, many from the TV show have not been used and could be in a future film series.

To those that think the cast was large, the TV show had large casts too. I laugh at those saying the close up work is boring. To me it's a cool old school technique. But then again I loved the movie and am eagerly looking forward to the next one.

The first MI film had arguably the most iconic scene from the franchise... and it was mostly close ups:

"Kittridge, you've never seen me very upset."

Best line in the franchise.

;)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I'll be honest I'm glad Jeremy Renner hasn't been in the last two films. Nothing against him personally, but his character wasn’t necessary. He's literally there to tell the audience how impossible the mission is in both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.

I do think Dead Reckoning 1 had too many characters, espicially when compared with Fallout that felt very streamlined.
    Why did nobody (including her brother Zola) pick up on the fact Alana had brown eyes during the meeting. I thought that would be a dead giveaway that it was Grace. I mean Vanessa Kirby has piercing blue eyes

Jeremy Renner's participation in MI7 would have been rather problematic (to put it mildly!) given the fact he almost died around the time MI7 was in the final months of filming.

Well, he would have been filming in the UK, so wouldn't have injured himself at home.

• Just seen the film. Enjoyable. 2nd best film I've seen this year behind Dial of Destiny.
    MI7 could be facing major box office problem. As of today Sound of Freedom has grossed more at the US/Canada domestic box office. MI7 may not make 500 million worldwide?
    MI7 could be facing major box office problem. As of today Sound of Freedom has grossed more at the US/Canada domestic box office. MI7 may not make 500 million worldwide? It's currently making less box office than MI6 so it's extremely unlikely it will do as well.

Mtm wrote:
    Well, he would have been filming in the UK, so wouldn't have injured himself at home.

He suffered his injury during the Christmas holiday period. New Year's Day. He wouldn't be filming MI7 on New Year's Day - it's a holiday - so had he been in the film it would have been delayed due to his Jan 1st accident. That's assuming he had more scenes to film.

MI7 could be facing major box office problem. As of today Sound of Freedom has grossed more at the US/Canada domestic box office. MI7 may not make 500 million worldwide?

That’ll show Eon!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 13,894

I'm hearing of this film a lot lately. Between the likes of MI7, Barbie and Oppenheimer, it's come along like a damn ninja out of nowhere.

tumblr_nyti2vFKdK1sqf5tdo3_400.gif
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,343
    The obvious outcome turned out to be true.
    Barbenheimer destroyed the boxoffice and SoF took almost all the white audiences left.
    To top Rogue Nation would be the real mission impossible but I don’t see it cross $600M neither.

Paramount really messed up this time around but all the people involved were maybe too confident after Maverick being such a massive hit.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    How Jim Caviezel’s Faith-Based ‘Sound of Freedom’ Became This Summer’s Unlikely Box Office Hit
    https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/sound-of-freedom-box-office-success-1235664837/
    July 9, 2023

Opening weekend audiences were enthusiastic, bestowing the film an “A+” CinemaScore. ... Ticket buyers have been predominately female, while more than 50% of cinemagoers were over the age of 45 years old.

“There’s support for the movie from white conservative political groups, but a third of the audience is Hispanic,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “The inspiration, action and Latin America-based story are drawing a diverse audience, not just ethnically,” he adds, “but in age and gender.”

Box office analysts say it’s noteworthy that “Sound of Freedom” managed to crack the top five on domestic charts in the heat of summer, a time of year that’s traditionally reserved for big-budget action tentpoles, superhero sequels or escapist romps.

“The strong response to faith-based films reflects a demand by an underserved audience who are hungry for entertainment that reflects their values and beliefs,” says Paul Dergarabedian, a senior Comscore analyst. “Such content can indeed find an enthusiastic audience, generate solid box office and impressive profits for their investors.”

• Bond is still the man to beat.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Paramount really messed up this time around but all the people involved were maybe too confident after Maverick being such a massive hit.

Yeah. It probably didn’t help that production of this film had so many setbacks. Maybe this would have fared better at a different date.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Saw an interview with Haley Atwell where she revealed
    the "Do you trust me?" head shake to head nod in the train was not in the script and was something she did in the heat of the moment. It adds so much to the piano sequence and makes Grace more relatable.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I can't wait to see this film again. It's frustrating that it isn't doing better at the box office because the practical stunts alone deserve box office success. The story is a bit convoluted at times, but I'm sure it'll make more sense when we see the complete story.
    It's frustrating that it isn't doing better at the box office because the practical stunts alone deserve box office success.

I know that's really frustrating, but the younger people prefer heavy CGI like Marvel or Fast an Furious... That's so depressing

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It should have been released memorial day weekend
    I wished, more Bond fans would finally realise just how unique the constant box office success of the Bond franchise is, and how right Eon was with the direction they took with Craig's Bonds.

How many fans were sure that the ever increasing action and stunt portion of the MI franchise would lead to MI7 kicking Bond's a... at the box office? Well, it didnt. No Marketing budget in the world, no Cruise literally kissing each and every mic in the world, asking everyone to repeat telling the story that he is saving Cinema for all of us helped. Neither MI6 ("best action movie ever made") nor 7.1 have brought the franchise to anything.

Eon, take your time, chose wisely, do you thing
    I can't wait to see this film again. It's frustrating that it isn't doing better at the box office because the practical stunts alone deserve box office success. The story is a bit convoluted at times, but I'm sure it'll make more sense when we see the complete story.

I'm going to try and see it again this upcoming weekend. I've "tried" to rewatch it several times now and my plans constantly fall through.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm going to try and see it again this upcoming weekend. I've "tried" to rewatch it several times now and my plans constantly fall through.

So far, it looks like rewatching the movie has been a "Mission: Impossible" for you.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So far, it looks like rewatching the movie has been a "Mission: Impossible" for you.

So you're saying I'm a member of the IMF now?? I'll pack a bag.