Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    I hope Bond is more than just a "blunt instrument" in the new films.

Ultimately he is that in all of the films. M throws him at the rich industrialist he/she suspects of being the baddie, Bond basically accuses the guy to his face, waits to see if anyone tries to kill him (they do), and wages a one-man war against the baddie! :D
    He's not exactly an elegant, surgical tool. Funnily enough, that is more what Ethan Hunt is, with all of his careful, elaborate mousetrap plans etc.
    Whether he becomes something more than a blunt instrument, well that's an interesting thought, yes. I wouldn't be averse to seeing a more thoughtful Bond come up with some clever plans, do more investigation and detective work etc.

I always find what separates Bond from, say, an Ethan Hunt or Jack Reacher (or indeed most American 'Bond-esque' types) is that Bond isn't always the smartest or even strongest person in the room. He often doesn't know how a situation will play out. He's usually at a disadvantage - a typical Bond vs henchman fight involves a skilled and strong opponent such as Oddjob or Jaws, and Bond's success in these fights comes down to a mixture of luck and wit. Hell, Bond in the films often gets caught out, tricked by villains, or even captured (there are times in the books/films where he even does the latter purposely when he doesn't have a plan. If Jack Reacher or Ethan Hunt did this we'd expect them to have pre-planned this and get the upper hand relatively soon).

It's what makes Bond a far more interesting character than his counterparts I'd say - that he is a blunt instrument, a man who truly gets into dangerous situations that might be beyond his capabilities. He's also a man who survives despite all the odds being against him.

I think I'd disagree that it makes him more interesting: I think both are interesting angles, it just depends what you fancy on that day. I don't think there's anything inherently less interesting about a person who makes clever plans: I love heist movies and I also love Bond, so I don't think one way of doing things is better than the other.
    There's a way of looking at it which says that 'Bond escapes by luck or a convenient gadget' is a bit too easy and it's trickier and potentially more satisfying to have someone who has planned everything out.

You could throw Indy into the mix too here. What I loved about Indiana Jones was that he escapes by luck even more than Bond does. There is a clumsy side to Indy, where he doesn't do things perfect, and is often in situations way beyond his capabilities.

Yep, I love Indy too; as you say, he's much less perfect than Bond. Indeed in a few of his film you could say that he actually fails in the climax, but only wins by default because the villains mess up.

Ultimately he is that in all of the films. M throws him at the rich industrialist he/she suspects of being the baddie, Bond basically accuses the guy to his face, waits to see if anyone tries to kill him (they do), and wages a one-man war against the baddie! :D
    He's not exactly an elegant, surgical tool. Funnily enough, that is more what Ethan Hunt is, with all of his careful, elaborate mousetrap plans etc.
    Whether he becomes something more than a blunt instrument, well that's an interesting thought, yes. I wouldn't be averse to seeing a more thoughtful Bond come up with some clever plans, do more investigation and detective work etc.

I always find what separates Bond from, say, an Ethan Hunt or Jack Reacher (or indeed most American 'Bond-esque' types) is that Bond isn't always the smartest or even strongest person in the room. He often doesn't know how a situation will play out. He's usually at a disadvantage - a typical Bond vs henchman fight involves a skilled and strong opponent such as Oddjob or Jaws, and Bond's success in these fights comes down to a mixture of luck and wit. Hell, Bond in the films often gets caught out, tricked by villains, or even captured (there are times in the books/films where he even does the latter purposely when he doesn't have a plan. If Jack Reacher or Ethan Hunt did this we'd expect them to have pre-planned this and get the upper hand relatively soon).

It's what makes Bond a far more interesting character than his counterparts I'd say - that he is a blunt instrument, a man who truly gets into dangerous situations that might be beyond his capabilities. He's also a man who survives despite all the odds being against him.

I think I'd disagree that it makes him more interesting: I think both are interesting angles, it just depends what you fancy on that day. I don't think there's anything inherently less interesting about a person who makes clever plans: I love heist movies and I also love Bond, so I don't think one way of doing things is better than the other.
    There's a way of looking at it which says that 'Bond escapes by luck or a convenient gadget' is a bit too easy and it's trickier and potentially more satisfying to have someone who has planned everything out.

Oh it's only my own opinions of course. There are people who would certainly prefer those American characters over Bond.

Personally, I find that when the hero of the story is able to tell those around him exactly what he will do to get out of the situation, which moments later proceeds to happen, it takes away any sort of suspense.

I agree that's an issue with the original TV version of M:I, because the heist usually went perfectly and there wasn't much interest to be had. But in the film version it goes down the route of the plan quite often going bad, which means that Hunt and team have to go the Bond route and think on their feet. And sometimes that means that the climax features another clever plan which the audience haven't been told about and works as a big reveal, which never takes away any suspense.
    I don't know if Bond should do that particularly as that's another series' purview, but I don't know if I hate the idea of Bond thinking up plans beforehand. He's done it occasionally in the series.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 5,980
    CrabKey wrote: »
    For once I'd like to see the conversation in which the operation is discussed and Q branch spitballs the kind of equipment Bond might need. Too often Bond has been given gadgets that magically meet situations that could not have been anticipated. It would be amusing at least once to see Bond on a mission in which he throws a gadget away because it's perfectly useless.

Previously it has been mentioned that North by Northwest was an influence on the first Bond film(s). It's a premise I've always liked. I'd like to see more down to earth adventures rather than the megalomaniacs who plan to destroy the world.

LALD has the single best non-working gadget gag.

I hope with Bond 26 that they bring in some new writing blood, like they did with George Macdonald Fraser for OP. Whatever other flaws there are in that film, the story is strong.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,391
    For once I'd like to see the conversation in which the operation is discussed and Q branch spitballs the kind of equipment Bond might need. Too often Bond has been given gadgets that magically meet situations that could not have been anticipated. It would be amusing at least once to see Bond on a mission in which he throws a gadget away because it's perfectly useless.

Previously it has been mentioned that North by Northwest was an influence on the first Bond film(s). It's a premise I've always liked. I'd like to see more down to earth adventures rather than the megalomaniacs who plan to destroy the world.

For all I know, it did actually happened in SPECTRE with Q's gadgets turned out to be useless while he's on a car chase with Mr. Hinx.

SPECTRE for me had the potential to be like that with the manipulation of World Intelligence through a mole inside a British Government in Max Denbigh, a la From Russia With Love/ Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Le Carre kind of thing, but it's just got botched with some another personal elements and haunting from the past kind of thing again, just got messed up.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,944

Oh it's only my own opinions of course. There are people who would certainly prefer those American characters over Bond.

Personally, I find that when the hero of the story is able to tell those around him exactly what he will do to get out of the situation, which moments later proceeds to happen, it takes away any sort of suspense.

I agree that's an issue with the original TV version of M:I, because the heist usually went perfectly and there wasn't much interest to be had. But in the film version it goes down the route of the plan quite often going bad, which means that Hunt and team have to go the Bond route and think on their feet. And sometimes that means that the climax features another clever plan which the audience haven't been told about and works as a big reveal, which never takes away any suspense.
    I don't know if Bond should do that particularly as that's another series' purview, but I don't know if I hate the idea of Bond thinking up plans beforehand. He's done it occasionally in the series.

It's more a complaint with Jack Reacher. On the other end you also have Jason Bourne and Jack Bauer who always seem able to get out of situations by how fast/skilled they are as agents to the point where they are almost indestructible (if I'm honest Craig's Bond in SP drifted towards that a bit, whereas in his first three films he often struggled a bit more physically, which I think was interesting to see). The main point though is that compared to his American counterparts who are usually one step ahead in these stories and always able to get out of a situation (often pre-planning things whether the audience knows or not), Bond's a much more imperfect character in that way.

I don't think it's something they should fundamentally change. Again, it's one of the things that separates Bond from these characters, and at best it makes Bond much more human. It may even be something they'll lean into like they did with Craig's first films (certainly if they take any inspiration from The Batman, the two franchises often taking leads from each other, we could get a version of the character more flawed and outright prone to mistakes).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Absolutely, Roger Moore riding around Venice in his gondola, essential "blunt instrument" Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Absolutely, Roger Moore riding around Venice in his gondola, essential "blunt instrument" Bond.

I guess you’re being sarcastic, but yes, that was blunt instrument stuff. He’s getting shot at, throwing knives into peoples’ chests and getting involved and reacting to action. He’s not being surgical and elegantly intelligent here, he’s using blunt force. That’s not a complaint, just an observation.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,391
    And him saying his name "Bond, James Bond" many times in front of the strangers.
    He even gets knocked out a hundred times by those henchmen.
    The villains even knew his weakness for women.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    An update on SAG-AFTRA

https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-strike-sag-aftra-picket-signs-1235432253/

The last time the actors went on strike was 1980, and it lasted three months.

The last time they went on strike while the writers were also on strike, was 1960.

Some people are whispering that it’s their time again to hit the streets.

If this does happen, the industry will be a mess, and; they’ll be quite a period, post strikes, that will have long lasting repercussions (delays of films, both big and small, other projects, hundreds of them, will no longer see the light of day, there’ll be a scramble for productions to swallow up crews and rental spaces…)

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm sorry to hear about this mate, I hope it doesn't affect your project
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @Jordo007 … As of this writing, we still aim to be shooting in the UK in October (preproduction in September), but I was told some of the loop holes we have to jump through are becoming clearer. We are under the Independent Production Agreement and most of the talent we have already cast, or will be casting will be from the UK. We aren’t completely out of the woods yet, but we are close, so 🤞….
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    🤞 it all comes together for you and your project @peter
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,525
    Awww thanks @Red_Snow !!! That’s very nice!

I was actually posting this more to make (EDIT) a note on how this could further bung-up Bond developments (as well as other favourite films/series/franchises), 😂. But thanks so much for well wishes and positive thoughts!!
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2023 Posts: 566
    I was just thinking about the future of the MI6 crew and thought I’d share my thoughts with you all.

I think it’s inevitable they’ll get rid of at least one of the current team. My guess is Kinnear and Whishaw (who’s already indicated he’s done with the role). Q will be recast (I think it’ll be a woman next time), but Tanner will not.

As for Fiennes and Harris, I think at least one of them will return, if not both. Fiennes would seem the most likely since there’s obviously precedent for the 'M' actor returning after a reboot. Though he’ll just be referred to as 'M' from now on.

As for Harris, I think the Moneypenny role will either be retired, or she’ll be rewritten to become the new Chief of Staff. If the character isn’t called Moneypenny, she’ll be given a new one letter codename. The flirtatiousness of her relationship with Bond will be dialled back, but she’ll continue to be Bond’s closest ally in the service (Moneypenny and Tanner merged into one basically).

I could see the two representing something of an angel and devil on Bond’s shoulders. 'M', the intimidating authority figure who occasionally orders Bond to do things that go against his own moral judgement, and Moneypenny (or whatever her name is) the more sympathetic confidant. Or maybe that's a bit cheesy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The death of James Bond was so unique, any character involved in this era will be recast with new actors. It cuts down on any confusion, and the last thing the producers will want is an audience member(s) thinking about the last era as they introduce the new one.

I’d make an easy bet that it’s a recast from top to bottom.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    peter wrote: »
    The death of James Bond was so unique, any character involved in this era will be recast with new actors. It cuts down on any confusion, and the last thing the producers will want is an audience member(s) thinking about the last era as they introduce the new one.

More so than for any other iteration of Bond, keeping the cast from the Craig films would just stir more questions and fuel the “Bond is a code name” theory. I understand the desire of fans wanting to maintain the old tradition of the mi6 cast carrying over to the new era. This is the one instance where traditional must be put aside.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 5,980

More so than for any other iteration of Bond, keeping the cast from the Craig films would just stir more questions and fuel the “Bond is a code name” theory. I understand the desire of fans wanting to maintain the old tradition of the mi6 cast carrying over to the new era. This is the one instance where traditional must be put aside.

I don't see it as tradition. I see it as Barbara not being able to turn down Dame Judi Dench when she asked about CR. It was a one-time exception.

Connery to Lazenby to Moore to Dalton to Brosnan are all playing the same person. Tracy and Q are the proof. There's no tradition of carrying over the actors playing M or Q or anyone--because Bond is the same person--until Craig, which is a reboot.

We got a new Boothroyd from DN to FRWL but nobody thinks Connery rebooted in his second Bond. It's a recast, not a reboot. Same with Maxwell to Bliss in TLD. A recast.
    I was just thinking about the future of the MI6 crew and thought I’d share my thoughts with you all.

I think it’s inevitable they’ll get rid of at least one of the current team. My guess is Kinnear and Whishaw (who’s already indicated he’s done with the role). Q will be recast (I think it’ll be a woman next time), but Tanner will not.

As for Fiennes and Harris, I think at least one of them will return, if not both. Fiennes would seem the most likely since there’s obviously precedent for the 'M' actor returning after a reboot. Though he’ll just be referred to as 'M' from now on.

As for Harris, I think the Moneypenny role will either be retired, or she’ll be rewritten to become the new Chief of Staff. If the character isn’t called Moneypenny, she’ll be given a new one letter codename. The flirtatiousness of her relationship with Bond will be dialled back, but she’ll continue to be Bond’s closest ally in the service (Moneypenny and Tanner merged into one basically).

I could see the two representing something of an angel and devil on Bond’s shoulders. 'M', the intimidating authority figure who occasionally orders Bond to do things that go against his own moral judgement, and Moneypenny (or whatever her name is) the more sympathetic confidant. Or maybe that's a bit cheesy.

It'll be interesting seeing what they do with the next MI6 team for sure. I think it'll be a complete re-cast but I suspect they'll also want to shake things up in other ways too. I'm sure the new M and a new Bond will have a different relationship compared to what we saw with Bond/the two M's in the previous era. If a Tanner character is kept I'm certain they'll want to do something different (ideally closer to the novels where the two are friends).

It'd be cool if they adapted Loelia Posnoby to give Bond a female ally in the Service rather than simply rewriting Moneypenny. I always felt their relationship in the novels was ripe for adaptation - slightly teasing on Bond's part, but with a warmth and mutual admiration there.
    I'm trying to think of ways they could innovate M as to not repeat the characterization of Dench's or Fiennes' M. They could go for a younger M, either male or female, but if they did that I feel like you would want to make Bond older than M to have them butt heads over their perspectives.
    I'll be glad to have a Bond film by 2026, regardless of what they do.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

It would be a fun merging of the types of varying Q scenes of the past. A Q scene where he's prompted with Bond on the mission, and then later, a field scene where he delivers the equipment.

I like the idea of a gadget being completely useless. The Z3 came close in GoldenEye, but it was bartered for a plane.... I just worry it'd be too similar to the faulty glove in MI:GP.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm trying to think of ways they could innovate M as to not repeat the characterization of Dench's or Fiennes' M. They could go for a younger M, either male or female, but if they did that I feel like you would want to make Bond older than M to have them butt heads over their perspectives.

I think they could make the next M black, imagine a fantastic actor in the role like Chiwetel Ejiofor or David Oyelowo. It would add an interesting but still faithful change to the character, especially with both actors only being in their 40's.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The latest:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

So the long and short: actors may be on strike sometime today, but, whether they do or not is inconsequential; the studios are leaking that they want to “break” the WGA. Their intent is to not restart any dialogue with the writers union until they have “starved them out”. They see no reason to restart discussions until late October!!

This has got ugly.

As for Bond? Hang your jacket and take a seat. If the writers are going to be dragged out to deep water, and the studio sticks to their guns, there won’t be any kind of agreement until November!!!

(Unless the writers do “break” and submit to the demands of the studios).
    Writers getting a fair living pay is more important than getting a Bond film ASAP.

I do think this is the studios bluffing. They want the WGA to blink, so they’re desperately throwing out word that they’ll be merciless, as if nobody knew that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Writers getting a fair living pay is more important than getting a Bond film ASAP.

I do think this is the studios bluffing. They want the WGA to blink, so they’re desperately throwing out word that they’ll be merciless, as if nobody knew that.

But because of streaming, @MakeshiftPython , they are loaded with content— which they didn’t have in previous strikes.

They are confident they can starve out the writers. And they haven’t even attempted any kind of dialogue.

They’re not bluffing this time. It’s an existential fight; they have to win this so the striking at the end of any collective bargaining agreement doesn’t become the norm in the future. They want to give other unions pause on this.

Once again, they’re loaded with content because of the streaming…
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,434

But because of streaming, @MakeshiftPython , they are loaded with content— which they didn’t have in previous strikes.

They are confident they can starve out the writers. And they haven’t even attempted any kind of dialogue.

They’re not bluffing this time. It’s an existential fight; they have to win this so the striking at the end of any collective bargaining agreement doesn’t become the norm in the future. They want to give other unions pause on this.

Once again, they’re loaded with content because of the streaming…

They're loaded with content, but any NEW content going forward will have to be unscripted, right? And most studios are apparently losing money in streaming services, so it could also be a losing battle for them to hold out. It all sucks. I'm sorry you're somewhat involved in it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You’re right, @LucknFate … this all seriously sucks… Thankfully I’m at a distance (we are under an IPA for indie films and if actors go on strike, we will receive a waiver— and most of our talent is coming from the UK (also members of SAG-AFTRA, but it’s not their main union).

But my American friends on the picket line are now, 72 days into this, feeling the pinch… it’s squeezing them…
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,025
    Again, concerns about AI.

It’s hilarious how these studio execs think that these demands are “unfair”. Like, oh boo hoo, you’ll make less money to the point that you can’t afford a ninth yacht. Greed really is a disease.

Hard to imagine where this will lead. First time since 1960 where both actors and writers strike at the same time.
    I remember the writers strike in 2007, which resulted in much shorter seasons for a lot of TV shows.
    It doesn't look like this will be resolved soon.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yep @MakeshiftPython … the greed that pops through the cracks like weeds….

@Kojak007 … We all hope for a quick resolution, but the studios really are looking to break strikers, and the easiest targets are the writers (so my guess is the actors and studios will reach compromises somewhat swiftly, and they won’t engage the writers for quite a while)…