Would you rather be a sidekick OR the main villain of the next Bond adventure?

Comments

• edited July 2023 Posts: 727
    Australia. Canada is too close to the dreaded south.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,548
    @Benjamin_Weekly69

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
    -someone in Star Wars….

In all honesty, hope you’re joking. Three hundred and fifty million (plus) people is an awful lot of humans to find dreadful.

(stepping off the soap-box, but still…)
    I'm actually 50/50 on this one. It really depends on what the film does with the location too. I suppose I'll go for Australia, although I'm sure there's a reason it's never been featured in a Bond film (perhaps too far to travel to/expensive to film in? I don't know).
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,392
    Canada, whether it would be filmed in winter, fall or sunny day, and it did featured in a Fleming novel which was The Spy Who Loved Me, so I'd liked to see Canada again, especially if they're going to do that story.

Australia for me wasn't that interesting as a location, it's not exotic enough, sure, there are deserts, but then so in Middle East and in Sub Saharan regions and even some in America and far more exotic looking than the ones in Australia.

Their cities very much looked like those urban cities in America, think of Sydney or Queensland, even California is more good looking (look at AVTAK).

Australia for me just look like ordinary, I actually prefer New Zealand when it comes to future Bond locations.

And I'm longing for a winter/snowy location, it's been long overdue, so Canada gets my vote.

The tropical countries was way too overused in the Craig Era, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it never snows in Australia, so another tropical country again.
    Never been to Australia but as @007HallY said, it would depend where. I'd say Québec City and Montreal can look properly glamorous and Bondian at places and if they go there they could use Vivienne Michel as a Bond Girl. Vancouver and Vancouver Island would also suitable settings.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mont Tremblant, Quebec or Banff Alberta
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Australia, Perth, Melbourne...the bush!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm gonna say Australia. I could see several ancient rock formations as backdrops, and with a bit of clever editing pretend they're not as far out in woop woop as in reality unless the story calls for that. We have some beautiful rainforests up north too which, from memory, only appeared in MR. Maybe a diving scene out on the reef?
    It's funny that six Bond actors, two of them (Brosnan and Lazenby) came from countries that the Bond films haven't been yet before, unless we count Dalton from Wales? (Are there any Bond films set in Wales?).

Brosnan came from Ireland, yet it's still yet to appear in a Bond film.

Lazenby came from Australia, yet it's still yet to appear in a Bond film.

Now, if they're setting it up on Australia, I'd liked to see Lazenby maybe have a cameo or guest, maybe as a contact or something along the lines of Kincaide, but I doubt they're going to do that, they've rejected the idea of Connery being cast as Kincaide, but still hoping.

I'm also on board with Ireland being a future location for a Bond film too, and Brosnan should appear in that one too, although I doubt it too, especially given he's now a full American Citizen.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 14,840
    peter wrote: »
    Mont Tremblant, Quebec or Banff Alberta

Funny, my brother worked in a cegep in Mont Tremblant. He taught philosophy.
    I was actually planning to write a crime fiction story partially set in Tremblant. Haven't come round to it, got other projects and I'll need to do a lot more research, but it's on my to write list.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Ludovico , I didn’t know you were a novelist!

Tremblant is a magical setting and could drive a great snow set piece with a gorgeous backdrop….
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I got so excited by the recent podcast of James Bond and Friends when they dived into some Bond 17 scripts and both featured Vancouver! As a proud Canadian I would love to see my country featured on the big screen in a Bond movie.

Okay lets move on to another would you rather:

Would you rather a "stand alone adventure in the PTS OR a PTS that ties directly to the plot of the movie

I would say that GF, FYEO, OP were stand alone. You could argue that TB, and MR were loosely tied but could also be seen as a stand alone. What do you prefer? I'm referring to the sections of the PTS that apply to Bond!
    I'm all for a stand-alone mini movie. It would work well when introducing a new Bond.
    Connected to the plot PTS would worked well in introducing a new Bond, think of OHMSS and Goldeneye, I think those two debut films did a good job of introducing the new Bond to the role, while at the same time, connecting it with the film's main plot.

When it comes to Standalone PTS, with the exception of FYEO, I don't have any problem with standalone PTS, especially when introducing a new Bond actor to the role, TLD is the one that comes to mind easily when doing this, it did a great job of introducing a new Bond actor.

I'm fine with standalone PTS as long as there's no bad retconning of past (again, like FYEO) to connect it to a prior film.

But the thing with stand-alone PTS was it depends upon the execution though, it needs to work as a separate scene of its own, like someone said here, a mini-film, so, it needs a lot more effort, if they've failed on it, then it would've likely to paint the whole film itself in bad light, again, think of FYEO (its PTS became one of the absolute flaws of the film).

It's also the main issue with the likes of Moonraker, and maybe Thunderball, one may not understand what's happening because it's a separate scene from the overall film.

Good for Goldfinger, it did a great job in doing a stand-alone PTS with showing Bond doing some minor missions in night duty and it succeed for that, and again, TLD, so it depends.

Something that's already not necessary when doing it as connecting it with the film's main plot, because again, there's already a backbone that needs to be built up, it doesn't need much effort, because there's already a story and one needs to start on it, again think of Goldeneye, it only needs good cinematography, editing and action and it's all well, something that one couldn't do with stand-alone because it needs an effort in creating a separate storyline.

So, technically speaking, a PTS that's directly connected to the plot is much easier to do.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I like the stand alone pts, as they’re much rarer in the Bond series.
    CR could also be considered stand alone, as it has nothing to do with the plot afterwards.
    Could be a good way to introduce a new actor.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Benny wrote: »
    CR could also be considered stand alone, as it has nothing to do with the plot afterwards.

Agreed. And if I consider GF, FYEO, OP, CR as standalones, I'd say those are stronger PTSes on average than the connected PTSes.
    echo wrote: »

Agreed. And if I consider GF, FYEO, OP, CR as standalones, I'd say those are stronger PTSes on average than the connected PTSes.

You consider FYEO PTS strong? 😅

I'd say the CR PTS did connect to the plot of the main film, it's a part of Bond being a new, beginner 00 (hence, it showed how he earned his first two kills), it actually continued after the title sequence in Madagascar, one of the concepts of the whole film was Bond being young and beginner as a 00 agent, so I also consider it a part of the film's plot at some point.

It's similar to OHMSS with Bond following Tracy in the beach, although It's not connected to one of the film's main plot regarding Blofeld, it did connect to the other film's plot, it's concept which was Bond falling in love, some consider it a standalone, but it's not, so it's the same with CR.
    Can we agree that FYEO and OP are the two true stand-alone PTSs that do not reference any future events seen after the titles whatsoever?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Can we agree that FYEO and OP are the two true stand-alone PTSs that do not reference any future events seen after the titles whatsoever?

Thunderball, maybe?
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Thunderball, maybe?
    Colonel Bouvar, whose death was mentioned at the SPECTRE meeting.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

What's referenced later in GF?
    echo wrote: »
    What's referenced later in GF?
    The guy at the bar says there's a plane to Miami. Bond is seen in Miami after the titles.
    I think they should be more closely connected to the story personally. But then again it depends. If we got a PTS along the lines of GF or CR I'd be happy. If we had a FYEO type one I'd be less happy.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes the PTS has sometimes been a highlight of the film or a tease of what's to come. I do like FYEO for it foreshadows the revenge that will be featured in the movie. Too bad Bond goes from lecturing Melina on not taking revenge to kicking a car off the cliff in revenge for the death of Luigi a character so small and non assuming that the audience has no feelings about him. But I digress!

Lets move on to another would you rather: a brief pre-amble. Please don't bring the movie into this would you rather, and try to have fun without thinking of the reality of the situation. Now that we got that out of the way:

Would you rather a car that can be submersible OR a car that can become invisible?

Invisible, of course. Ever tried to find a parking spot in the city?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    If your car is as pretty as an Esprit, a Vanquish or pretty much any car Bond has driven over the years, you'd be crazy to turn it invisible.

Even though I don't hate DAD's invisible car as much as others, I'd take the sub. The sealife alone would surely make it worthwhile.

It's interesting that the Vanquish got a sub version in Nightfire, while the Esprit remains to be turned invisible.
    peter wrote: »
    @Ludovico , I didn’t know you were a novelist!

Tremblant is a magical setting and could drive a great snow set piece with a gorgeous backdrop….

Well, aspiring writer. A struggling one too: struggling to find time and energy to write. Or discipline. Never been to Tremblant actually, but I need a place close to Montreal and remote enough.
    Invisible car for sure.

I'm not sure if Submersible car will give me an assurance of safety, especially if under the sea, and I'm a bit of environment safety advocate and I've watched TSWLM and the way it blew (black) smokes from the water just turned me off thinking that it could kill fishes and other marine lives!

It's another way of promoting water pollution!

So a big no for me.

Therefore, I'm going with the invisible car, no one can see my car, so another plus for safety, plus it's not harmful to the environment!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Safety-wise I'm imagining folks pulling into my "empty" parking space and me dodging cars on the highway from all sides because they can't see me.

I'll take the submersible and stay at reasonable depths.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    Submersible.