Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited June 2023 Posts: 467
    The insane thing about the main theme for Fortunella (starring Giuletta Masina, based on a Fellini script but with a sub Fellini execution) is that it's not just the inspiration for The Godfather. Another part was developed a couple of years later into the main theme to La Dolce Vita… while a different snippet (the opening notes played by the fanfare) is actually a rehash from the score of Il Bidone, a proper Fellini film.

Anyway, back to the subject, the brief bit of music by Rota helps putting the film in a particular vibe (a Southern Italy city in the sixties with it steep streets) that's close to Pixar's Luca (where the score was written by NTTD reject Dan Romer!).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Right on... Speak Softly Love at a sped-up pace.

But again, I think that Rota was one of the greatest, and he's certainly no more guilty of recycling material than, say, Hans Zimmer, who's got it all on his computer's hard drive for the next popcorn movie he is hired to score.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Oh, you definitely won't hear me say anything negative about Rota. Fellini is one of my favourite directors (he also happened to be a huge Bond fan), and Rota's work on Il Casanova di Fellini, I Vitelloni or Amarcord is mesmerizing.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,700
    Oh, you definitely won't hear me say anything negative about Rota. Fellini is one of my favourite directors (he also happened to be a huge Bond fan), and Rota's work on Il Casanova di Fellini, I Vitelloni or Amarcord is mesmerizing.

I'm afraid though I think I got far deeper into his work than the average citizen (and I certainly DON'T mean you by that), I cannot really comment.

I have Rota's soundtracks (on CD, in alphabetical order) of

Death on the Nile
    Fellini Satyricon - Roma
    I clowns
    Il gattopardo
    La dolce vita
    La strada
    Le notti di Cabiria
    Otto e mezzo
    Romeo and Juliet
    The Godfather

I find his music totally fascinating, but yes, there are certain repetitions, especially where he employs traditional Sicilian tunes. It's really no different from Ennio Morricone's later handling of the scores for the Giuseppe Tornatore movies. A lot of genius. But also a lot of use of popular tunes...which is actually the main cause for considering the proceedings in the movie authentic.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Saw it in Denver with family.

A fun thrilling movie, great adventure for Indy and all involved.

I loved it!

• edited June 2023 Posts: 3,279
    I watched the original trilogy back to back this week, ready for the cinema tonight.

A few things struck me -

1. Raiders is a perfect 10/10 blockbuster film. There are not many that can claim that title - Jaws, Back to the Future. It is faultless. Not a single frame of that I would take out or change.

2. Temple of Doom - not very good overall. Too dark, yet also too silly. Some good action scenes throughout though.

3. Last Crusade - very good film, not as good as Raiders, but still highly entertaining. Connery steals the show.
  • Just rewatched Skull. Underrated. Just wish Ray Winstones character had been omitted and John Hurt hadn't been underused. Shia lebeefhead is better than I remember apart from when he cries in the sanatorium and the swinging monkeys scene which is terrible ( Lucas idea no doubt). Also Temple of Doom is still fantastic.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Wasn’t the RPG Indy threatened to blow the Ark up with from the fifties? Didn’t Marion once a drink a Frenchman — of all people — under the table? Did she not own her own business?

How can anyone take this clearly ahistorical, unrealistic modern portrayal of women seriously. Woke gone made. It can only ever have been made in this modern, politicised Hollywood. I bet the writers and directors all started making anti-military industrial complex politicised polemic movies with ‘strong female leads’ shooting guns and saving the menfolk, who are always shown to have their bravado punctured by doing silly things like running away from soldiers. Honestly. This modern age eh?
    *checks dates*
    Oh.
    Carry on. Carry on.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 12,271
    Here we go:

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - 10/10

Pound for pound, my favorite adventure movie ever made. ROTLA is not far behind at all, but TLC is just a little extra near and dear to me. Primarily, it's because of Sean Connery's fantastic performance as Henry Jones Sr., and the unrivaled chemistry that he and Ford have together. There is humor, tension, and rockiness between Indy and his father, but an absolutely beautiful, heartwarming resolution with them in the end. TLC is both the funniest and most emotional Indy movie to me, giving it major points.

The humor's been criticized before as being too much, but I've only ever seen it as a strength. Tons of moments in this film make me laugh like crazy after countless watches! As for the common complaint of turning Marcus Brody into a buffoon, I argue he didn't really have enough screen time previously to make it feel like the 180 change to his character that has been suggested. One of the best movie cuts of all time is going from Indy's bluff about him to him asking if anyone spoke English! Marcus, Henry Sr., and Sallah are an unbeatable collection of ally characters as far as I'm concerned.

Elsa is a great femme fatale, and Colonel Vogel is one of my favorite villains of the series. I'll concede that Walter Donovan isn't one of the strongest baddies, though his fate is one of the most memorable and awesome parts of the whole series! The action is consistently terrific, from my favorite opening of the franchise (come on, how cool is that origin sequence + boat brawl?) to the epic tank fight in the desert. John Williams's score is top-notch, as is the case for all the original trilogy films. I understand and respect that ROTLA is generally seen as the best Indiana Jones film, but TLC is the most special for me personally; it has charm and heart that none of the other films quite did, and it's easily one of my all-time favorite movies.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 10/10

The original classic, and still one of the very best adventure films of all time. It’s a little more serious in tone than all the sequels, and the Ark and Grail are my two favorite artifacts that Indy searches for. In a collective sense, ROTLA probably has the best villains. Toht is an all-timer, Belloq is a solid arch-rival, and Dietrich is a classic Nazi baddie. Marion is of course the best love interest of the series - a terrific, fiery character that can always hold her own!

Soundtrack is iconic and perfect, Ford is perfect, other side characters are all awesome like Brody and Sallah. There are a high number of highlights - the opening in the jungle, the bar shootout, the fight around the plane, the vehicle chase, and an unforgettable, brutal climax. Not a lot else I have to say about this one other than that it’s as close to movie perfection as one can hope for, along with TLC!

3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - 9/10

I won’t diss anyone for other tastes, but I can’t understand why so many rank TOD below KOTCS - I just can’t see it. TOD is still pretty close to the bookends of the original trilogy to me, with just one big minus 1 to the score courtesy of the insufferable Willie Scott. I do love Short Round, though!

The Shanghai opening is fantastic - super thrilling and Bond-esque. Much has been said about the film’s dark aspects, which give the film its distinct flavor and fun for me. Seeing Indy be voodooed and whipped is still one of the toughest scenes for me to watch in any movie! The child slavery, human sacrifices, and other scary elements are effectively executed and make the movie so memorable.

Mola Ram is actually my singular favorite villain of the series; his psychotic personality and costume are legendary. The Thuggee cult is a great choice for a different kind of enemy after the Nazis, too. And even though all the first 3 have 10/10 soundtracks, TOD’s might be my personal favorite - you just can’t beat Slave Children’s Crusade! This movie’s just as fun and rewatchable as ROTLA and TLC - just one obnoxious female lead keeps it from the same level for me.

4. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) - 7/10
    I more or less got what I expected from DOD: a decent, more dignified sendoff for Indiana Jones than KOTCS. The best part of the movie is the action; I was consistently entertained by the setpieces they came up with, especially that bonkers finale that maybe will be a bit extreme for some people, but for me felt in line with the series. The opening is especially thrilling and classic with all the Nazi-punching fun you could hope for!

Ford himself gives a wonderful final performance. Despite his old age, he somehow still feels so believable in the role. There are references to the age of course, but he is very impressive in all the action. Other characters for me I’m afraid were a mixed bag. Basil and Renaldo were cool new OCs, but I honestly did not care for Helena or Teddy, with Phoebe’s performance being a little annoying to me. Voller was a solid villain, though, with a neat, original plot for a Nazi.

DOD was good, but it did lack several of the little things I enjoy so much about the older movies, like the date and location texts, mountain logo transition, and wildly shocking and gruesome moments. As has been said, it played things safe, though I did feel like it accomplished a good balance of old and new stuff. My personal biggest disappointment was how little Sallah was involved, as he was a far superior ally to the new ones we got this time.

5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - 4/10

I went into this one again really, really hoping it would be better than I remembered. It was worse, sadly. The three big issues that stood out to me: terrible CGI, bad pacing, and Mutt Williams. Mutt is so awful and unlikeable to me in every way, and a real wasted opportunity with a new father-son dynamic with Indy as the father.

Speaking of wasted opportunities, I LOVE the concept of the Soviets being the main threat against Indy, but Spalko and Dovchenko are just totally average villains. I’m also not opposed to the concept of aliens in Indiana Jones, but the execution was totally lackluster. They really couldn’t come up with a more creative design for the alien at the end?

Ford still does a great job, and seeing Marion back is cool. I also like Ox. Did not care for Mac’s character whatsoever. Ultimately, I want to like this film more, but it’s just not interesting enough to me. The first twenty minutes are the best parts. There’s some good stuff here and there, but ultimately it falls way short of all the others. There’s a big gap between it and DOD, and then a big gap from DOD to TOD for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just saw DOD and it's about what I expected. Won't give my full thoughts or review, lest I shatter the mood here, but it was better than KOTCS technically so it's a win in my book.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 14,983
    FoxRox wrote: »
    There’s a big gap between it and DOD, and then a big gap from DOD to TOD for me.

Yes, DoD comes in 4th place for me too, which is as much as I ever hoped for it, so overall it's a win.

How lovely is this unused concept?

ME16K8BZ_o.jpg
    Exactly. Significantly better than KOTCS is all I could have asked for, and I got what I wanted. It’s a good film for what it is!
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I've just had a thought. It'd be sort of fun if the aliens in KOTCS were just humanoids/human-looking. Then for the rest of the franchise, you have the back-pocket joke of Indy thinking everyone could be an alien.
    My wife and I saw DOD today in its original version (foreign-language movies in Germany are usually shown dubbed in German in the overwhelming majority of cinemas). We both enjoyed it, and it didn't disappoint at all. Some set-pieces could have used some more editing, there were certain lengths IMO. But the film nicely plays with the audience's nostalgia by recycling some familiar-looking scenes (and conversations) of the past, and it's a roller-coaster ride of fun. The (already well-publicized, and therefore this is not a spoiler) CGI rejuvenation of Indy in the initial scenes (taking place in 1945) works surprisingly well. Mads Mikkelsen is a great villain, although I (as a German) hear his Danish accent both when he's speaking German or English. The plot is outrageous, but no more outrageous than in the first four. Good fun, we should have bought popcorn.

My personal ratings on IMDb for the IJ movies so far are 10/10 for ROTL, 9/10 for TLC, and 8/10 for the other two (in the case of KOTCS, somewhat reluctantly). I'd probably put DOD at 8/10 as well, but slightly ahead of both TOD and KOTCS.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Hey @j_w_pepper , enjoy it tomorrow, my wife and I have tickets for Saturday. When you are a child of the 80ies, there is just no way around a new Indiana Jones movie. And I am completely in the camp of tolerated disbelief, as long as in the end it is hugely entertaining.

Hi, Zeb (@zebrafish)...thanks for the good wishes, and the same to you and your wife. I sort of resent being called a child of the eighties, since I was already 24 or so when seeing ROTLA for the first time (in the U.S.). But yes, it still has a formative influence, and I wouldn't want to miss this movie even if I only intended to complain about it (I certainly won't).

But in your neck of the woods, do you have a chance to see the original version, or only the dubbed one?

My wife insists on watching the original language version, and even though our neck of the woods may appear a bit backward for those from a city that boasts the „Gate to the World“, we have a sizable community of foreign students! Our only cinema (a Cineplex) does have several screenings in English. Anyway, by now you should have seen it and I hope you enjoyed it to the max!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Anyway, by now you should have seen it and I hope you enjoyed it to the max!
    Yes, I did, thank you...see my posting immediately before yours. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well! Give us a report, please.

• Glad to read you've enjoyed it @j_w_pepper ! Maybe for the second viewing you will have popcorn? ;)
    Glad to read you've enjoyed it @j_w_pepper ! Maybe for the second viewing you will have popcorn? ;)
    The second viewing, I'm pretty sure, will be when the Blu-ray becomes available. Both my wife and I (and we're both rather fluent in English) thought that having subtitles (even in English, not German) might have helped today to really understand everything in places. In my case, I had (as usual) more problems to understand the Brits (PWB and Toby Jones) than the Americans, but still.

But we do have a popcorn maker, although unused for about 15 years :-).
    After second viewing:
    Is it just me, or did anyone else notice things from the trailers that weren't in the final film?
    This:
    7CCA6Y9.jpg
    And of course this:
    The sentence "I have been looking for this all my life." He never actually say this, IIRC.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes indeed, I did spot the first was missing, although I think something quite similar to the second was said, wasn't it?
    I guess the first one was trimmed out due to being repetitive? Although it is a shame. Hopefully we'll see it on the BluRay.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 40,490
    I would've enjoyed seeing that first shot, totally forgot it wasn't there until you mentioned it. I was kind of hoping that:
    the caverns they explore when reaching the second dial would've been more laden with traps and hazards, which that deleted bit seemed to include in the same scene.
    I hadn't noticed any of that before, but it reminds me of the CR trailer(s) showing both Bond and Vesper bathing in the sea together, none of which appeared in the final movie.
    I hadn't noticed any of that before, but it reminds me of the CR trailer(s) showing both Bond and Vesper bathing in the sea together, none of which appeared in the final movie.

The shot of Bond ripping the card in half too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not saying my remark was in any way comprehensive. I just thought the trailer shot with the two of them was sort of erotic...any tearing of cards, not really.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not saying my remark was in any way comprehensive. I just thought the trailer shot with the two of them was sort of erotic...any tearing of cards, not really.

You're totally right, I just had to mention it cause it came to my mind as a shot that always stood out as pretty great that I would've loved to have seen. Carry on.
    My verdict - much better than I thought it was going to be. Still a bit too silly in parts, still a bit too much CGI, but way better than the last one. Dare I say it it, probably on par with TOD.

I thought the opening 20 minutes would be the best part of the movie, but funny enough, it wasn't. There are far better action sequences that follow.

Nice ending, not the travesty that has been painted by certain YouTubers, and overall I actually preferred this film to NTTD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,983
    Funnily enough I could have done with a touch more silly! But generally I agree with your review, yeah.
    I think I’d take it over NTTD too; it feels like an Indy movie where I’m not sure that feels enough like a Bond.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    A few minutes I realized that I greatly missed Spielberg’s sensibilities.

7/10
  • Saw it last night. Loved it. Miles better than Crystal Skull even though Skull is underrated. I'd even put DOD ahead of Temple of Doom. No one else can play Indy so any reboot would be a disgrace.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,398
    Great that most of you like it or even love it. I will go tonight.