Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    talos7 wrote: »
    Never say never, he did not say no. 🤔

Yeah. I think he wants to. But the thing is, how does he direct Bond to be different from the Mission films? Because as brilliant as the Mission films are, the Bond feel isn't entirely there and McQuarrie only knows how to direct the Mission way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think he would adapt and make a film that embraces the Bond sensibilities.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wouldn't mind Christopher McQaurrie directing a Bond film in the future.
    The question would be, do EON want him to direct a Bond film?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think he would do that, it wouldn't be beyond him. But I don't see him doing it: I think it be breaking a loyalty thing a bit too much. Plus it's good to have Bond and MI separate, as much as I'd love him to do a Bond.
    mtm wrote: »

I think he would do that, it wouldn't be beyond him. But I don't see him doing it: I think it be breaking a loyalty thing a bit too much. Plus it's good to have Bond and MI separate, as much as I'd love him to do a Bond.

My sentiments exactly.
    mtm wrote: »

He needs to come in to save bond him or Nolan bond is in a tough place now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 14,961
    I reckon after Part 2 is released he’ll probably be taking a year or two off, or will do a very small personal project or something. By that point he’ll have been making these two MI movies for around four and a half years straight. I suspect the last thing he’d want is a massive Bond, or indeed another MI.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 252

I'm sure we hear some tracks of Lorne Balfes Score here
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's a new arrangement of the theme at the beginning (it's a very long video!). He's not exactly changed his style very much :D

It's the premiere in London tonight.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The various styles of the main theme really stood out to me when rewatching all the films in a span of a few days this last week. I ended up with this ranking:

Mission: Impossible 2023 Ranking:

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
    2. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
    3. Mission: Impossible I
    4. Mission: Impossible II
    5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    6. Mission: Impossible III

Not many surprises there, but I did elevate Rogue Nation to #2 and loved it more than I ever have in the past, it seems. M:I III will likely always be at the bottom, whereas Fallout is probably the best action movie of the last five or so years in my opinion. It'll be near impossible for Dead Reckoning - Part One to top it but I hope it manages to.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 3,169
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    To each his own. III is my personal favorite. Cruise in his prime, best villain of the series, many great action set-pieces and a lot at stake for Hunt. But I like them all, maybe except II and its endless slowmotion shots.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    To each his own. III is my personal favorite. Cruise in his prime, best villain of the series, many great action set-pieces and a lot at stake for Hunt. But I like them all, maybe except II and its endless slowmotion shots.

For all of the reasons that you gave, I’m a huge fan of MI:3; I also think that it gives Hunt a quality, having a personal life and a try love, that separates him frown other globe hopping spies.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The drums in the beginning were recorded with the "Top Secret Drum Corps". They also performed at the premiere.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 40,474
    MI:3 is the outlier in the series for me, the only one I outright don't enjoy. Abrams' style is so jarring to me for a spy series like this.

PSH is absolutely incredible as the villain though and I really wish this IMF team got another shot in a sequel. The scene between Hunt and Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Declan outside the Vatican is gold and always good for a laugh.

I do like the emotional heart at the core of the story but it veers into melodrama at times too. It has its strengths but I don't like it overall and only ever revisit it during these M:I marathons.
    McQ is a very humble director as he focusses on what the audience want and does not stamp his own style onto an existing and loved franchise - Abrams is the opposite IMHO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MI:3 is the outlier in the series for me, the only one I outright don't enjoy. Abrams' style is so jarring to me for a spy series like this.

PSH is absolutely incredible as the villain though and I really wish this IMF team got another shot in a sequel. The scene between Hunt and Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Declan outside the Vatican is gold and always good for a laugh.

I do like the emotional heart at the core of the story but it veers into melodrama at times too. It has its strengths but I don't like it overall and only ever revisit it during these M:I marathons.

Yes I'm the same: it's my least favourite. It kind of has the least personality of any of them, I tend to think. I love MI because it's a melding of spies and heist movies, and MI3 has almost no heist in it- there's the Vatican bit but there's nothing particularly witty or inventive about that sequence. I'm not even a massive fan of the action scenes in it either. It has some good bits here and there; I like the big swing, Seymour-Hoffman is obviously great, Tom's all time best running sequence... but generally I don't return to it much.
    patb wrote: »
    McQ is a very humble director as he focusses on what the audience want and does not stamp his own style onto an existing and loved franchise - Abrams is the opposite IMHO.

Do you think? I'm not sure I see him as a director with a huge style, as such. If anything he seems to ape the 80s blockbuster style of Spielberg etc., which served Star Wars well I thought. And his first Star Trek was one of the best blockbusters in years at the time, I thought. Maybe it took MI3 for him to warm up to those.
    I'm beginning to think Rogue Nation is the best yet.
    I'm beginning to think Rogue Nation is the best yet.

I've always enjoyed it but it really, really floored me during this recent marathon I had. It's my second favorite.
    If forced to pick a favorite, it would be Rogue Nation
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The first film and GHOST PROTOCOL are still tops for me.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Just my observations— it seems like Bond fans are quite partial to RN whereas M:I diehards usually place it around mid-tier.
    Just my observations— it seems like Bond fans are quite partial to RN whereas M:I diehards usually place it below GP and Fallout.

Interesting; I've often thought, with a few tweaks, that Rogue Nation would have made an excellent Bond film.
    I wouldn’t call myself a M:I die hard. I still have to finish the original TV show at some point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just my observations— it seems like Bond fans are quite partial to RN whereas M:I diehards usually place it below GP and Fallout.

Interesting; I've often thought, with a few tweaks, that Rogue Nation would have made an excellent Bond film.

I agree that some of the action stuff could carry over, but what I do like which is different about Bond vs Hunt is that Hunt is a planner and sets in motion clever plans and solutions in order to bring down baddies, whereas Bond is more of a reactor, who reacts to the plans of others and counters with brute force, generally. That doesn’t mean the roles of both of them don’t cross over from time to time, but I like that there is that difference to how they go about things. And in RN we see quite a bit of Ethan coming up with clever plans and out-thinking the baddies, although when things go wrong a bit of brute force at times as well. But I love that the whole climax of the film turns out to be a plan, that’s lovely. And it’s how a Mission film should be: that’s the essence of MI.

That's my issue with MI3 I think: Abrams does a little section of Mi stuff in Vatican to get it out of the way, and then in the rest of film Ethan is just being Bond, really; reacting to stuff, or shooting people as a special forces guy. Whereas McQ always keeps the essence of MI there and at the forefront: his version of Ethan is always making plans and trying to out-think his opponents, one step ahead.

I thought that RN is seen as the better film generally. GP is great fun but arguably doesn’t quite maintain it through the final act, where RN does I’d say.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes I'd agree with that. GP seems to peak during its mid-point whereas RN builds to its finale in a very clever way. They're both great fun, though.
    I was also left a little underwhelmed by GP this go around. It has some really strong beats but there are pacing issues at times and the ending doesn't really stick the landing for me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Is it Mission Impossible to get Alan Brazil into shape? 😬 Tom Cruise gives talkSPORT his verdict 👀🤣
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Blimey, at first I thought they were watching all three today- that's a lot of movies.

Has he not just given away his location? So Tom Cruise is at the Cineworld Leicester Square at 7pm tonight?
    EDIT: Ah no, he's not that daft. They've both got the same ticket! :)
    He’s really leaning into that “savior of cinema” role. I guess that’s better than him trying to promote Scientology.