Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nice new mini trailer with a couple of new bits:

And:

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I would have gone to see it this weekend if it was out. The final push of advertising feels a tad early.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I do wonder if folks will feel it's a bit old (fedora) hat by the time it's finally out.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah I do wonder if folks will feel it's a bit old (fedora) hat by the time it's finally out.

Very true. In a way it feels like it's coming out on May 30, not June 30. With all this marketing, it's hard to believe the film is still over a month away.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Absolutely agree with all your thoughts on this early advertising. It almost feels a little too desperate; like the marketing ppl are freaking over some bad or tepid reviews and they’re trying to drown it out with their razzle and dazzle.

I’d have taken the tact to let the bad reviews cool and remain quiet… then closer to release date, fill the airwaves and socials with the Indy magic (by that point most people will have forgotten about what happened at Cannes)…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm sure it was all planned well in advance that there would be a push come the day tickets went on sale: too many new trailers and bespoke posters for each sound system to have been knocked together in a couple of days. Whether they should have toned it down? Well I don't know really, if you've got a marketing strategy in place I think it would be a waste of money not to use it.
    apparently the film is bad according to critics
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, and that video isn’t aimed at triggering disgruntled MRA dorks.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think after the general reception for KOTCS, it's only to be expected that some sites would choose to post videos of this nature.
    As for me I choose to wait to see the film for myself, before I form an opinion.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With the lowest rating in the series, these videos are going to be everywhere before, during, and after release. I'll watch it for myself and see how I feel.
    Yeah, there are multiple Youtube videos thrashing DIAL OF DESTINY with negative reviews, in spite of probably not having seen the film yet.
    I have this hunch I'm going to love it regardlsess. Harrison Ford is my hero. That's that.
    Case closed.
  • Who cares about critics. I prefer to judge a film fit myself. They were right about Batman and Robin though!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,875
    Who cares about critics. I prefer to judge a film fit myself. They were right about Batman and Robin though!

What about DAD?
    :\">
    DAD got bad reviews as well. A lot of fans, notably Brosnan fans, try to paint a false narrative that DAD was positively received at the time of release. But in reality it got a lot of bad reviews. I think the narrative of people liking DAD on release stems from the fact that it was at the time the highest grossing Bond film. So yeah, it made money. So did TRANSFORMERS 2, but that’s not a movie folks look back on fondly.
    DAD got bad reviews as well. A lot of fans, notably Brosnan fans, try to paint a false narrative that DAD was positively received at the time of release. But in reality it got a lot of bad reviews. I think the narrative of people liking DAD on release stems from the fact that it was at the time the highest grossing Bond film. So yeah, it made money. So did TRANSFORMERS 2, but that’s not a movie folks look back on fondly.

We will see rotten tomatoes isn't starting off hot trust me I want the film to be good but this isn't good
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Transformers 2 actually received properly negative reviews by the majority, though. DAD was more mixed than negative at the time, just as TWINE was.

Just in the event that you weren't being facetitious.
    Fair enough. I decided to look back and compare how DAD looked on Rotten Tomatoes in 2002 to today.

Here’s authentic reviews landed the film at a rotten 57% back in November 2002.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021204212414/http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/DieAnotherDay-1118332/

And here’s todays which now includes a ton of retrospective reviews, bring it only down by two percent.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/die_another_day

And just as a bonus, here’s Brosnan’s page archived in Feb 2003, including where his other Bond films stood at the time. GE was at 94% (which has surprisingly dropped to 80% today), TND was at 60% (now at 57%) and lastly TWINE was at 53% (now at 51%).

https://web.archive.org/web/20030201183429/http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/PierceBrosnan-1001979/

DIAL OF DESTINY currently stands at 51%, considering TWINE is my least favorite, that’s alarming! But what’s more alarming is that 77%! I don’t hate KOTCS, but it’s interesting that critics were more forgiving of that film.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I've never been a big fan of the critics. I used to like the reviewer on Good Morning America as I thought he had an every man quality to him. Siskel and Ebert were also good for their takes, although sometimes they took popcorn movies way too seriously.

I was thinking that critics would love this one, but it sounds like it's not as much fun as previous entries. One reviewer I read said it felt more like a National Treasure type movie than Indiana Jones. I hope they were wrong.

I will see this movie for myself and decide. I hope it's a proper send off for a beloved character from my childhood. Given what happened to Luke Skywalker I am not optimistic, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised by this film.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    This review is rather interesting, I hope it's not quite the truth.

Let's face it, this film is going to be bad. It sums up all what is wrong in Hollywood these days. Too much reliance on CGI, PC correct box ticking, too much OTT action, turning the male hero into a sad lonely figure, and by the sounds of it another stupid, ludicrous ending.

Disney should be taking a leaf out of Tom Cruise's book. He seems to be the only person left in Hollywood that knows exactly what audiences really need from an action flick. Top Gun 2 should be the film that every producer should now aspire to.

If Indy is a box office flop, this could be curtains for Kathleen Kennedy, who has ruined and destroyed yet another franchise.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,025
    TOP GUN 2 was overrated. I enjoyed it for what it was, but my god was that hyped beyond belief. At this point I don’t even rate it higher than the 1986 original. At least Tom Cruise’s character is actually flawed in that film.

You know what’s a better movie to aspire for than TOP GUN 2? RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Give me that every time.
    TOP GUN 2 was overrated. I enjoyed it for what it was, but my god was that hyped beyond belief. At this point I don’t even rate it higher than the 1986 original. At least Tom Cruise’s character is actually flawed in that film.

You know what’s a better movie to aspire for than TOP GUN 2? RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Give me that every time.

Yes I agree. Raiders is unbeatable, but that is from a different era. Of course that should be a benchmark, the same way Jaws or Back to the Future should be. That goes without saying.

I'm talking about Hollywood movies in 2023, which are all following a similar crappy trend that Top Gun 2 managed to steer clear of, feeling more like a throwback to a feelgood 80's movie. And in your opinion its overrated, but I'm guessing you are in the minority with that opinion.

Yes I agree. Raiders is unbeatable, but that is from a different era. Of course that should be a benchmark, the same way Jaws or Back to the Future should be. That goes without saying.

I'm talking about Hollywood movies in 2023, which are all following a similar crappy trend that Top Gun 2 managed to steer clear of, feeling more like a throwback to a feelgood 80's movie. And in your opinion its overrated, but I'm guessing you are in the minority with that opinion.

I'm with @MakeshiftPython on his ranking. Don't get me wrong, it's a great film and did a much better job of delivering the goods than I thought it would.
    But it's definitely overrated, and was certainly not a best picture contender.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 3,279
    Benny wrote: »

I'm with @MakeshiftPython on his ranking. Don't get me wrong, it's a great film and did a much better job of delivering the goods than I thought it would.
    But it's definitely overrated, and was certainly not a best picture contender.

Spielberg apparently said to Cruise that his film has saved Hollywood's ass, in getting people back to the cinema again, and coming out upbeat, thrilled and entertained.

This is something that has been lost in recent times with modern movies, that often go for a cheap shock value, or layering it with too many heavy deep messages.

As for best picture contender, I can't remember the last Oscar film I agree with that won the award, but if TGM had won it, I would have had no complaints.
    It's okay Jetters, we're alright if we have a difference of opinion. ;)
    If 'Dial of Destiny' ends up with a lower score on RT than 'Fast X', which it looks like, I feel sorry for everyone involved!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DIAL sounds like a depressing, joyless, excuse of a film, and at least 10 years too late. CRYSTAL SKULLS (which I don't accept is the worst Indy film), doesn't sound so bad now, eh? ;)

Seriously, though, I don't understand why CRYSTAL SKULLS gets so much hate, when there are outlandish stuff in all the films. RAIDERS is the best one, but then I don't hold that film up on a high pedestal, unlike many do.
    Im am so glad critics are actually doing their jobs and pressing against a culture conjunction which is leading us nowhere. There has to be a constant reliable-by-numbers stamp of bad quality for all of this to change into something else eventually.

So I’m glad people are disliking this sort of approach to film. In time, things will have to change. Art is never just a slave to money. Does it need it? Yes, of course. But when one is indistinguishable of the other, revolution happens, usually by the hands of a group of true artistis who rebel with their manifests.

It will happen. Just wait for it.

This thing where everything is valid, everything goes, anyone can do it, art must be an instrument to social/political/economical agendas,… it has always happened in the history of mankind, but it never lasts. In the meantime, Ford earned a bit more money and recognition for returning to the popular product, but wouldn’t he be better off doing a film with Coppola, or Polanski, or Ridley or Martin, or…? He would, IMO. But a new gen of filmmakers will arrive eventually. And they’ll bring their new quality stamps along.

One hopes…
    Benny wrote: »
    It's okay Jetters, we're alright if we have a difference of opinion. ;)
    giphy.gif
    Count me in as another who thought Top Gun 2 was way overrated! As for the new Indy, I'm going in with low expectations after 'Crystal Skull', so am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised!