"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

1516517518519520522»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I've seen a few Norway matches, but I've not made much effort to follow the Nations League games. Didn't even know Germany-England was on until just now!

It was a decent game on the end England finished strong, it was 1 - 1 on the end. We have Italy at home next if we don't win that it's pretty much over already for the nations league, with the WC so close I just want Southgate to get his team right.
    I've seen a few Norway matches, but I've not made much effort to follow the Nations League games. Didn't even know Germany-England was on until just now!

It was a decent game on the end England finished strong, it was 1 - 1 on the end. We have Italy at home next if we don't win that it's pretty much over already for the nations league, with the WC so close I just want Southgate to get his team right.

Southgate doesn't lack options, so I imagine it will take a few games to settle on a starting eleven.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Southgate doesn't lack options, so I imagine it will take a few games to settle on a starting eleven.

We have a ridiculous amount of midfield options, in the Squad I woukd say the only irreplaceable player we have is Kane.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,325
    England 0 - 4 Hungary :-O not scored in open play for 4 games, Southgate has taken this team as far as he can. Time for a change.

Biggest home defeat in 96 years :-O :-O :-O :-O
    England 0 - 4 Hungary :-O not scored in open play for 4 games, Southgate has taken this team as far as he can. Time for a change.

Biggest home defeat in 96 years :-O :-O :-O :-O

Shocking! And against a very ordinary team.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,325
    England 4 - 0 Sweden in the Semi Final of the Ladies European Championships. the third goal really was audacious. Congratulations for reaching the Final. =D>

edited July 2022 Posts: 23,325
    Germany 2 - 1 France the final is well balanced though England's firepower is impressive and Germany defense looked ropey v France.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Liverpool 7 (seven) - 0 Manchester United
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    DCisared wrote: »
    Liverpool 7 (seven) - 0 Manchester United

We need to score 7 against Real Madrid now :)>-
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Probably of no interest to anyone outside of Belgium (or Spain perhaps), but I’m rather proud of my Anderlecht for eliminating Villareal against all odds, reaching a European quarterfinal for only the third time since I started remembering stuff :))
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 17,279
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Probably of no interest to anyone outside of Belgium (or Spain perhaps), but I’m rather proud of my Anderlecht for eliminating Villareal against all odds, reaching a European quarterfinal for only the third time since I started remembering stuff :))

Didn't expect that! How good is the Anderlecht squad these days?

It’s been a poor season, really. It has been poor for quite some time. Though at the moment, since that first leg against Villareal, they’re in a good place, and I do think there are a few very good players in there. Especially our goalkeeper is extraordinary, he has recently been called up for the Dutch national team too. I’m having high hopes for him.

How is Rosenborg doing these days?

It’s been a poor season, really. It has been poor for quite some time. Though at the moment, since that first leg against Villareal, they’re in a good place, and I do think there are a few very good players in there. Especially our goalkeeper is extraordinary, he has recently been called up for the Dutch national team too. I’m having high hopes for him.

How is Rosenborg doing these days?

There's something about finding form at crucial points of the seasons. what might not be a perfect season in the league, might be a good experience in a European tournament!

Rosenborg and the Norwegian league are in preseason now, but the training matches and the recent cup loss to Viking shows that the team is way off. They've also sold their two best players before the season; Casper Tengstedt to Benfica (admittedly for a significant transfer fee), and Stefano Vecchia (who would have been a key player if injury free) to Malmö. Never been a fan of current head coach Kjetil Rekdal either, who I simply think is the wrong man for the job.

So in short, not at all optimistic, but let's see how it goes.
    If I'm correct, Rekdal used to have a few stints in Belgium too, but I must say this moment made quite an impression on me as a wee lad:

Remember I was rooting for underdogs Norway in that game.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 17,279
    Yes, that's without a doubt one of the big moments in Norwegian football history, and Rekdal was right at the centre of it. And he's not all bad, I just think he's a bad fit for Rosenborg. They could and should aim higher than what they are currently at.

And you don't have to look outside the league to see what the right fit can do for a club. You would never have expected the success Bodø/Glimt have experienced in recent years, with head coach Kjetil Knutsen. Rosenborg have obviously tried to approach him previously, but he 's been reluctant to leave Glimt.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 6,781
    Hoping all the best for Rosenberg @Torgeirtrap! As you know I have always symphatised with them :)

Meanwhile in Serie A, Lazio is flying! Obviously too late to catch Napoli, but they've been killing it lately, combining attractive football with a winning mentality. Yesterday Juventus was beaten at the Olimpico.

Unfortunately, Sampdoria seems to be on its way to relegation. Such a beautiful club, they deserve to be managed so much better.
    Hoping all the best for Rosenberg @Torgeirtrap! As you know I have always symphatised with them :)

Meanwhile in Serie A, Lazio is flying! Obviously too late to catch Napoli, but they've been killing it lately, combining attractive football with a winning mentality. Yesterday Juventus was beaten at the Olimpico.

One can only hope! General consensus between the experts is that Rosenborg will miss out on the top three. Looking at the teams that compete for these spots, they all look more dangerous than Rosenborg do right now. I can see a very active summer transfer window if they find themselves far behind the others by that time.

It's bizarre seeing Juventus down at 7th. Haven't followed Italian football closely in recent years, so it might make complete sense for those who do follow Serie A. Read an article about Napoli, the city and the team a few days ago. Can't wait to see the celebrations!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 6,781

One can only hope! General consensus between the experts is that Rosenborg will miss out on the top three. Looking at the teams that compete for these spots, they all look more dangerous than Rosenborg do right now. I can see a very active summer transfer window if they find themselves far behind the others by that time.

It's bizarre seeing Juventus down at 7th. Haven't followed Italian football closely in recent years, so it might make complete sense for those who do follow Serie A. Read an article about Napoli, the city and the team a few days ago. Can't wait to see the celebrations!

They're partly so low because they had points taken away from them for dodgy bookkeeping, not sure where Juve would be without that deduction. Still though, pretty poor season for them on the pitch as well.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Confident as an Asrenal fan against Liverpool in a long time. But the Anfield factor still worries me slightly.
    Napoli has been crowned champions of Italy for the first time since 1990, and even though I'm not a Napoli fan I was quite moved by the images of ecstatic joy that came in from what might as well be the most Latin American city of Europe.

Possibly even more impressive than Leicester's stunt a few years ago (although let's also not forget Lille's triumph in France against all odds, I think it was two years ago), it's a well-deserved Scudetto for Napoli, who have been the best team in Italy for the entire season.
    Joaquin and Zlatan retire from football. I've never followed Spanish football closely, so I can't say much about Joaquin other than playing 521 for the same club is really impressive. Will certainly miss Zlatan though – the player and the character.
    Congratulations to Man City on attaining the Treble!!! =D>
    Joaquin and Zlatan retire from football. I've never followed Spanish football closely, so I can't say much about Joaquin other than playing 521 for the same club is really impressive. Will certainly miss Zlatan though – the player and the character.

Zlatan is a great player, he did well for us in his first season its a shame he got injured and his stay got cut short.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 6,781
    Never expected Inter to be that well-organised as well as getting quite a few excellent opportunities. They did pretty well I think.

As a huge calcio fan, I'm sorry to see them all lose their respective finals, though as for Mourinho and his lot, I can't feel too bad, not only because I'm biancoceleste but also because they play wildly unattractive football as well as being disgustingly unsportsmanlike from beginning to end.

Fiorentina on the other hand deserved much more against West Ham imo.
  • I view it as soccer, football to me is a complete different sport.

In any event the US Women's team were eliminated just recent in their World Cup tournament (it's played out in Australia and New Zealand right now)

Nature of defeat was hard to take. We punished them for just about the entire duration of game time but couldn't find a way past their Swedish goal keeper. Went to an eventual penalty contest where a number of our women missed their chance. Naeher seemed to have saved the contest at one stage but a referee assistant overruled it and allowed Sweden a victory.

Yeah we've won it a number of times and defending Champs, but the manner of defeat was hard to take.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 6,781
    On penalties is always a tough way to go out.

I only rewatched the penalty shootout to be honest, although looking at the stats, seems to me the Swedish goalie was indeed the player of the game.

That last penalty though did clearly cross the line, confirmed by VAR, so I wouldn't say the assistant referee 'allowed' Sweden victory, it was just a clear goal :p The US goalie could have done better with it as well, imo, but that's besides the point.

But that's football, you never know who will end up on top, even though there's a clear favourite.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,690
    RIP Sir Bobby Charlton. :-(

methode-times-prod-web-bin-2abede62-abbd-11ed-bfe8-f09d3c021ab0.jpg
    RIP Bobby Charlton
    Lazio defeat Bayern, the inevitable Ciro scores from the spot. Probably the biggest win for the oldest Roman club since the Eriksson years.