Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's what I think allured the public to the thought of the third movie, because he wanted to go ahead and do more footage.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's what I think allured the public to the thought of the third movie, because he wanted to go ahead and do more footage.

I think Jackson said both. He may make it three films and he'd like to shoot more footage - as well as his own cameos!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I think Jackson said both. He may make it three films and he'd like to shoot more footage - as well as his own cameos!

Very cool! That should be interesting to see. From the start, I thought it was odd how they didn't manage to plan three films, as it seems everything is a trilogy these days.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The Hobbit is a very short book but if Jackson believes there's three films in there, I'll trust him.

Even Cameron is now doing three more Avatar films! Trilogy is the word. Thanks Nolan.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The Hobbit is a very short book but if Jackson believes there's three films in there, I'll trust him.

He made some incredible films in the LOTR trilogy, and I don't see any reason why he would return just for money. If that is the case, he knows how to hide it up with some beautiful movies, but I agree: if he can give us three films without it seeming far-fetched or unnecessary, count me in. November-December is going to be pretty good for movies.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,817
    0013 wrote:
    Rocky Balboa. My favorite of the Saga.

What about the 1st one?

It's my 2nd favorite.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

He made some incredible films in the LOTR trilogy, and I don't see any reason why he would return just for money. If that is the case, he knows how to hide it up with some beautiful movies, but I agree: if he can give us three films without it seeming far-fetched or unnecessary, count me in. November-December is going to be pretty good for movies.

That's true. They were quality films and we can expect the same with The Hobbit, even if its on two or three parts.
    I recently watched part of The Shining.

VERY good so far, and VERY interesting. I haven't finished it yet, so I plan to go back over and finish it from beginning to end this weekend. Been working alot lately and I'm very tired, but it's payed off with a promotion this week!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

VERY good so far, and VERY interesting. I haven't finished it yet, so I plan to go back over and finish it from beginning to end this weekend. Been working alot lately and I'm very tired, but it's payed off with a promotion this week!

Congratulations, @JWESTBROOK, on your promotion! However, please notice that this thread concerns the last movie you watched, not the last movie you almost watched. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Congratulations, @JWESTBROOK, on your promotion! However, please notice that this thread concerns the last movie you watched, not the last movie you almost watched. ;-)

I did watch it in part. I just didn't finish it. So I watched it. Just not completely ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    After telling myself I must, over the last four days I watched all three The Lord of the Rings films. Really, for the first time since they came out. Boy they are great and I can't wait for The Hobbit, whether that be in two or three parts.

Don't worry; I hadn't seen a single one until my friend forced me to watch them all straight through last year, and they were very entertaining. I, too, am really anticipating 'The Hobbit' now. The last I heard, I believe they are looking at three films now, instead of the original two.

If they go for three, they'll need to announce it soon. Jackson said he would like to film up to an extra six weeks of footage so maybe three films are are on the cards? Also they'll need another title for the new one.

Oh wow? Had no idea they may have to break the film into three parts now? Absolutely loved "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy. Absolutely brilliant films that are very watchable! Seriously looking forward to seeing these new films too!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    At the cinema - The Dark Knight Rises. A truly epic film. Long but well worth the time spent watching. A brilliant end to the trilogy. Now Chris, get yourself over to EON and do Bond 24!
    Watched TDKR yesterday. It's now my favourite Batman film.

Anyway, I just watched First Blood part 2. I don't like this as much as I used to, I now prefer Rambo 3. It's still good enough to make my top 20 favourite films though, and I always have a good time watching it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th

A love letter the ultimate slasher film series (sorry Halloween, but I believe that it was the Friday The 13th films which lit the fuse on the slasher explosion in the 1980's). Presented by Tom Savini and featuring the directors, screen writers, actors whom all worked on the various films as well as Sean S Cunningham & Harry Mandredini and the odd famous fan such as Adam Green (whose own Hatchet series is inspired by the F13 films). In it's 86 minute run time, it packs in a fair ammount of time for all films from the 1980 original to the 2009 reboot. A numer of the actresses that have been the final girls in each film, suggest bringing back the final girls for a sort of dream team to take on Jason. Now that I would love to see. Though we could rule out Dr Rowan, what with being stuck in the future. I loved the end credits, where the cast quote lines that they said in each of their films. This was just the main feature on the 2 Disc set, i've got all those special feature to look at as well. *fangasm*

It's something like this I want for Bonds 50th anniversary, with a longer run time to accomodate the almost double the ammount of films that Bond has (should be easily 2 hrs). If it followed the same template of His Name Was Jason, then a 2 hr run time should be the minimum.

11/10 =D>

Dracula AD 1972

That Dracula cat is really groovy, man. Hammer brings Dracula into the 1970's, literaly, with this first of their contemporary films. Has a neat moody opening with Dracula & Van Helsing (the return of Peter Cushing to the films) grappling on the roof of an out of control carriage. It could have done with a little more of Caroline Munro, though.

Hammer Horror Dracula Films:
    1. Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    2. Dracula: Prince Of Darkness (1966)
    3. Scars Of Dracula (1970)
    4. Dracula AD 1972 (1972)
    5. Brides Of Dracula (1960)
    6. Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)
    7. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th

A love letter the ultimate slasher film series (sorry Halloween, but I believe that it was the Friday The 13th films which lit the fuse on the slasher explosion in the 1980's). Presented by Tom Savini and featuring the directors, screen writers, actors whom all worked on the various films as well as Sean S Cunningham & Harry Mandredini and the odd famous fan such as Adam Green (whose own Hatchet series is inspired by the F13 films). In it's 86 minute run time, it packs in a fair ammount of time for all films from the 1980 original to the 2009 reboot. A numer of the actresses that have been the final girls in each film, suggest bringing back the final girls for a sort of dream team to take on Jason. Now that I would love to see. Though we could rule out Dr Rowan, what with being stuck in the future. I loved the end credits, where the cast quote lines that they said in each of their films. This was just the main feature on the 2 Disc set, i've got all those special feature to look at as well. *fangasm*

It's something like this I want for Bonds 50th anniversary, with a longer run time to accomodate the almost double the ammount of films that Bond has (should be easily 2 hrs). If it followed the same template of His Name Was Jason, then a 2 hr run time should be the minimum.

11/10 =D>

Well now I NEED to buy this. I saw it in HMV but I didn't bother picking it up. Thanks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If your a fan of the films, then I highly recommend it. I bought my copy from HMV, it was only £8. Which is unusual for HMV, as they tend to practice the work of Dick Turpin - daylight robbery.
    I'm a big fan of the films so I'll definetly pick it up, thanks.
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Really engrossing film which both me and my girlfriend enjoyed thoroughly. Yes there are some dark moments and possibly disturbing ones too. However? It was done so well that it didn't put us off.

It was great to see Daniel and Roony's charactor's grow closer together and develop. Neither of us have read the books, so we are chuffed to see the sequel get the green light. Hoping both DC and RM sign up for this and the third installment?

Overall an excellent film from our point of view. Would be interesting to see the original movie too?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Really engrossing film which both me and my girlfriend enjoyed thoroughly. Yes there are some dark moments and possibly disturbing ones too. However? It was done so well that it didn't put us off.

It was great to see Daniel and Roony's charactor's grow closer together and develop. Neither of us have read the books, so we are chuffed to see the sequel get the green light. Hoping both DC and RM sign up for this and the third installment?

Overall an excellent film from our point of view. Would be interesting to see the original movie too?
    You two should start to read it together. That would be an interesting bonding experience. Though some events in the books make for awkward moments the story has a greatly thrilling mystery. Too bad you didn't wait to watch the film until you read it because you both could debate who you thought was behind it all.

Watched the multi award winning film :) Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
    Better than the name of the film sounds. 7/10
    The Satanic Rites Of Dracula

Hammer's 2nd 1970's contemporary set Dracula looks much less obviously set in the 1970's. Not that it's a bad thing, far from it. Taking the contemporary template of Dracula AD 1972, Satanic Rites adds in a germ warfare/spy thriller style to the film. Satanic Rites has to be my favourite Hammer:Dracula since thier 1958 original. It's also got William Franklyn as an SIS agent, which makes this so much more awesome (Franklyn, I think, would have made a good Bond for the late 1950's to mid 1960's).

Hammer Horror Dracula Films:
    1. Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    2. The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973)
    3. Dracula: Prince Of Darkness (1966)
    4. Scars Of Dracula (1970)
    5. Dracula AD 1972 (1972)
    6. Brides Of Dracula (1960)
    7. Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)
    8. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)

I don't usually do this, but I also watched the two other items on Disc 1 of His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday 13th.

The Men Behind The Mask
    Is a look all the Jasons over the years, from Ari Lehman (child Jason from the original film) through to Derek Mears (Jason in the reboot). Unsurprisingly for me, the best segment was that covering Kane Hodders time behind the mask. Despite being Jason in 4 film, Hodder doesn't get the biggest segment, but he does tell some annecdotes that displays his mischievous side.

Final Cuts
    Now this one is a look at the directors of the F13 films (except for Steve Miner F13#2 & F13#3 and Ronnie Yu FvJ). Again, fo me, the most interesting part was the interview with Adam Marcus (JGTH). Marcus sets the record straight about the flms ending, it was his idea, and he even testified in court to prove it. He also reveals that in case he was asked back to helm the next film, he would have made Freddy vs Jason next and gives a few details on what we might have seen.

Both are interesting to watch being a fan, as they look at the series from two different perspectives.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 163
    PROMETHEUS

story > 7.9/10
    director > 10/10
    cast > 10/10
    "Space Jockey" ENGINEER design > 10/10
    fear factor > 5/10
    action level > 6/10
    FX > 10/10
    score > 7.5/10

overall = 8.3
    worth admission price
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    <b>Chimes At Midnight</b>
    I'd long thought Braveheart a movie which raised the bar and set a new standard for massed battle sequences, I was wrong, Awesome Wells had already been there and done that in 1965
    Wells technique is masterful, putting the battle sequences of the mega budget Hollywood epics like Spartacus and co to shame, his battle of Shrewsbury manages to be both epic and intimate, with close ups and clever editing which pull the viewer right in the midst of the brutal slaughter
    From Braveheart and Gladiator, to Private Ryan and Lord of ther Rings, massed action 101 starts here
    Moneyball (2011)
    Very good film even more so if you like baseball. 8/10
    edited August 2012 Posts: 23,612
    <center>DD's Michael Mann retrospective</center>

<center><font size = 4>part 4</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>The Last of the Mohicans (1992)</font></center>

<center>daniel-day-lewis-eric-schweig-and-russell-means-in-the-last-of-the-mohicans.jpg</center>

I never actively search for films that deal with the painful tragedies Native Americans faced a few centuries ago. Why not? Not because I lack empathy but because I lack historical awareness. What I know I know from a minor few history lessons in school. I have a stronger knowledge of WWII and its political consequences, mainly because here in Belgium the terrors of that war are much more closely felt. That said, I'm always touched by films like Dances With Wolves and... this masterpiece called The Last Of The Mohicans.

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit too enthusiastic. I say masterpiece but in reality it's far from my favourite Mann film. I'm willing to believe that Mann can handle many stories very well but crime thrillers simply seem more his cup of tea. The Keep, for example, isn't a highly entertaining film either in my book (see review). Anyway, this film still satisfies me. The acting is good (Madeleine Stowe looks great and Daniel Day-Lewis clearly inspired Tom Cruise when he yelled hero stuff in M:I II), the music is very enjoyable and the ending of the film couldn't have been more rewarding IMO.

The big item, however, remains Spinotti. Dante Spinotti's excellent photography is what boosts this film's quality. It's no Dances With Wolves, by no means it is, but even a smaller scale film can be made to look awesome by Spinotti.

So, do I recommend this film? I think I do, even if you're not too well-educated in the matter, as in my case. I think you will still find the romance, the misery of war, the sacrifice of heroes and the overall cinematography interesting.

But it's not my favourite Mann film by far.

<font color = red>Final score:</font> 7/10

DD's Michael Mann retrospective score card:
    Thief: 9/10
    Manhunter: 8/10
    The Last Of The Mohicans: 7/10
    The Keep: 5,5/10

DD's David Fincher retrospective score card:
    Seven: 9,5/10
    The Social Network: 9,5/10
    Zodiac: 8,5/10
    The Game: 8/10
    Panic Room: 8/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: 8/10
    Alien³: 7,5/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: 7,5/10
    Fight Club: 7/10
    @DarthDimi Still can't believe you thought Fight Club was the weakest of his films. Shows how different opinions can be I suppose.
    Source Code (2011)
    Good film 7.5/10
    @DarthDimi Still can't believe you thought Fight Club was the weakest of his films. Shows how different opinions can be I suppose.

Read my thoughts a couple of pages ago.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,043
    The Debt 2011

Ok I guess, the performances were good but nothing outstanding from anyone considering some of these actors bodies of work, Worthington was better than usual I guess but Mirren, Wilkinson & Hinds have been far better. Quite tense at times but nothing too special all quite low key till the end but the silly conclusion with a rather messy altercation stretched it's credibility.

I came across 2 Bond connections, firstly Mr White himself Jesper Christensen as the villain of the piece and yet another Thomas Newman score, once again rather impressed, I'm most intrigued to see what this guy is going to bring to Skyfall.

2/5
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I had a blast with this film. Very well made, interesting concept by my favourite mashup author Seth Grahame-Smith, well shot, good fun. Not for everyone, I suppose, but most folks will enjoy this film if only they gave it a try.

abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-poster.jpg
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    595.jpg