Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• You can't throw a thirty-something in there or he'll still look young at the end of his run. Unless they commit to twenty years?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It's been a while since Leo Suter was mentioned in any depth. I'm familiar with him from a string of gentlemanly costume dramas on UK tv and would have dismissed him as too young and pretty for Bond. However, after binge watching Vikings: Valhalla I've changed my mind. Suter has certainly thrown himself with relish into the physicality and intensity required for the role and he looks like a good actor to me. Ok, he's probably a bit young at 29 and relatively inexperienced compared to what Eon are looking for, but imo definitely worth an audition.

131965545_10160715743777782_9216847663913257074_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=xgdWImMlGo0AX_-EI9W&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=00_AfCjMQqIQE99zKcPzhphl8c-HumxL6OHsvgs6_mS2ho1pg&oe=6421AA26

Love this fight scene.

Another one that gives me Dorian Gray vibes, based on the picture.

Strange, I don't think so at all. Meet Dorian Gray:

02zoNuUOSlPTXcNlnDinOssRPuEQHupyN2f7L18kA_w.jpg?auto=webp&s=8a67bf9652a0d6bf6cbe1179508d2f4a113e13a8

Is he the same guy who played in that awful adaptation in 2009?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Leo Sutter would be a good choice, he doesn't have a baby face but he still looks young. He's got a decent voice and most importantly seems like a quality actor.

If there's a mark against him, he hasn't been in enough big budget productions to carry a huge franchise like Bond.

Definitely worth a screentest though
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Leo Suter is a very promising prospect ; he has a great look, is a solid actor, possesses loads of charisma and has a good, deep voice . Definitely worth a screentest.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2023 Posts: 1,318
    I have to say, the fact that some of you prefer the most bland mediocre white actors over good POC actors, is quite telling.

I’d rather have a decent portrayal than a puritan one (that isn’t even that pure to begin with).

Bland? Have you seen Sutter act in Vikings? Get real. Sutter must be screentested, I'd wager he's pitch perfect.
    The thing that irks me about aaron taylour johnson is he doesn't seem very refined. He's a bit if a jack the lad type, which doesn't really seem suitable for the role of a gentleman spy. For me he'd be more fitting for kingsman than bond.

That being said, I would take him over a gender/race swapped bond any day, so I guess beggers can't be choosers.

I don't think Connery was well refined before 1962 either, but that didn't work out too badly in the end...
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 17,241
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Found it: Craig favoured David Mackenzie and Yann Demange was in talks as well? Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049) turned it down, because he was committed to Dune. So what's the situation now, should we check whether any of these directors are uncommitted for 2024/25?

EON also met with Morten Tyldum (he was asked to read a script, if I remember correctly), but I can't remember if it was before the NTTD production, or the SP production.

Edit: It was way back in 2013, so before SP.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2023 Posts: 7,969
    I have to say, the fact that some of you prefer the most bland mediocre white actors over good POC actors, is quite telling.

I’d rather have a decent portrayal than a puritan one (that isn’t even that pure to begin with).

Character being white = puritanism?

yeesh, it's hard to keep up nowadays. (:|
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784

If he can be blond he can be black or ginger.

Why is it only ok to deviate in one direction?
    It's been a while since Leo Suter was mentioned in any depth. I'm familiar with him from a string of gentlemanly costume dramas on UK tv and would have dismissed him as too young and pretty for Bond. However, after binge watching Vikings: Valhalla I've changed my mind. Suter has certainly thrown himself with relish into the physicality and intensity required for the role and he looks like a good actor to me. Ok, he's probably a bit young at 29 and relatively inexperienced compared to what Eon are looking for, but imo definitely worth an audition.

131965545_10160715743777782_9216847663913257074_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=xgdWImMlGo0AX_-EI9W&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=00_AfCjMQqIQE99zKcPzhphl8c-HumxL6OHsvgs6_mS2ho1pg&oe=6421AA26

Love this fight scene.

Leo-Suter-Headshot-2.svg

I really like his outfit, especially his boots. Anyone know what brand?

Love this fight scene.

Leo-Suter-Headshot-2.svg

Sope has great style, it ends there basically.

Love this fight scene.

Leo-Suter-Headshot-2.svg

Sope has great style, it ends there basically.

I could see Leo Suter in the role no doubt. I could just as easily see Sope Dirisu in the role. Just as I could see Aidan Turner, Tom Hughes or just about anyone else.

You have to admit that the entertainers of the (recent) past had more personality than their contemporary counterparts.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,895

Probably just predictive text and they meant 'purist', ie. Fleming's literary Bond. I hope so, anyway - a Puritan Bond would be a hell of a stretch, even in terms of 'reinvention'!
    Venutius wrote: »

Probably just predictive text and they meant 'purist', ie. Fleming's literary Bond. I hope so, anyway - a Puritan Bond would be a hell of a stretch, even in terms of 'reinvention'!

My bad lol. I meant purism of course.

Still waiting for a response.

Most POC don't suit the role either.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Most POC don't suit the role either.

The point is that some do, not that all do.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have Sope Dirisu very high on my list of potential Bonds.
    The issue will always be, that the actor playing Bond should inhabit some of the traits we expect from the character. But at the end of the day, the part should go to the best candidate for the job.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 3,273

Connery and Lazenby had dark eyes, and Moore and Craig had lighter hair, but they all still could pass off as the Fleming Bond from the novels, because they weren't that far off the literary description overall.

I'm sure with the billions of people on planet earth, they can find one suitable candidate that ticks all the attributes for what is required, including the exact literary description too, but I'm guessing Bond being played by a white actor may upset some people out there.

And for those people who would be upset by such a casting, I will have a quiet chuckle to myself.... ;))
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 94
    That would make David Mackenzie our best bet at the moment, because he was mentioned for NTTD and maybe does not have a project on the horizon, However, IMDB list a TV series, Gemstone, and a thriller, Relay, as in pre-production. So he IS busy after all. The question is if he still is a candidate and if he would pull out for Bond.

He doesn't have the action chops.

Neither had Forster and Fukunaga.
    From what I've seen of Mackenzies films, I think his directing style could fit with Bond.

In other news, Richard Madden stars in a new spy series for Amazon:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/02/awards-insider-citadel-first-look
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    That would make David Mackenzie our best bet at the moment, because he was mentioned for NTTD and maybe does not have a project on the horizon, However, IMDB list a TV series, Gemstone, and a thriller, Relay, as in pre-production. So he IS busy after all. The question is if he still is a candidate and if he would pull out for Bond.

From what I've seen of Mackenzies films, I think his directing style could fit with Bond.

Somehow I suspect Richard Madden will be the new Clive Owen or Michael Fassbender: many people on social media will see him as Bond, but he won't get the role.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Somehow I suspect Richard Madden will be the new Clive Owen or Michael Fassbender: many people on social media will see him as Bond, but he won't get the role.

I can live with that.
    I don't actually mind Richard Madden, and he could be a good pick for Bond. But somehow, I just feel we could do better.
    Benny wrote: »

I can live with that.
    I don't actually mind Richard Madden, and he could be a good pick for Bond. But somehow, I just feel we could do better.

Agreed. Much better actually.

I can live with that.

In terms of acting ability not really, quite the opposite.

I can live with that.

In terms of acting ability not really, quite the opposite.

He's alright.
    Madden ? Seriously ? Once again, just watch The Take, in which his own character bemoans the sad comparison between himself and the real man hero portrayed by Idris Elba. Whether you favor Elba or not, the point is made. Madden ain't it.

He is a class act.

Fukunaga had done True Detective and Maniac before Bond.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 14,800

I can live with that.

I have the same feeling about him. He would be an OK choice. Fairly competent actor, not too famous, juuust the right age now. And Scottish. But in the end, I think him being Scottish might be his biggest selling point and that's not much.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hugh talking Bond…. with a hint of regret

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    So. It's March. Where's the ATJ gun barrel?