Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Nice to have a new name at least. And interesting that the tabloids are already bored of their made-up ‘Taylor-Johnson has been hired as the new Bond’ story. Just remember: he gets unveiled in March… ;)

You never know the fact he was at Sound of 007 makes me think there is more to this then just garbage he looks like someone Babs would cast… I just don’t know what he would bring to the role nor do I know what former bond he will be most like…. Maybe George Lazenby lol

Like seriously Johnson fans help me out here lol

To be fair, if they haven't been in contact in some way I'd be surprised. And also of course his wife is a British film director so it would seem very likely that her and Broccoli aren't in contact, given Ms Broccoli's role in feminism in the film industry.
    007HallY wrote: »
    So I put the literary description of James Bond (looks like Hoagy Carmichael, cold and ruthless, scar on right cheek, blue-grey eyes, cruel mouth, cold eyes, short black hair, a comma of hair, etc) into an AI thing and this is what it made:

Lucien_Midnight_photograph_of_literary_James_Bond_in_a_tux_whit_2ffcdf03-d71e-4215-9f9b-33ae7a98492b.png?width=573&height=573

Not bad. I wish I could get it to look more like a photograph of a real person though. If it gave me something that looked like an actual photograph I was going to try to fool you guys into thinking I found the perfect actor.

Wow nice work. Which did you use?

I’ve thought for a while that the guy who marched the description and feel of Fleming’s 007 really well was Richard Johnson.
    deadlier-than-the-male-3.png

Wasn't he one of the first choices for Bond at one point? It is interesting looking at who was supposedly considered for DN (according to Wiki anyway). You have the likes of Richard Johnson and Trevor Howard - very English, gentlemanly, and arguably more along the lines of what readers of the novels would have expected for Bond at the time. Then of course there's Stanley Baker and Sean Connery - a bit more raw as performers, arguably more known for playing criminals, anti-heroes and working class characters up until that point (both certainly came from working class backgrounds in comparison to most of the other contenders too). Again, all part of that long discussion about what qualities an actor needs for Bond.

Yes it's interesting what shape the ideal of Bond in the movies could have taken if they'd gone down that path rather than the more raw, sexy one. Might it not even have survived? Impossible to know of course. Was Oliver Reed looked at? He'd have been taking off at exactly the right time and slots more into the Connery side of things.
  • AmericanBondFan1994AmericanBondFan1994 Milford, Michigan
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm sure Lucien Laviscount is a lovely guy but I've seen him in some things, he's even been an advert recently here in the UK, and lets just say in terms of acting he's not someone I'd want near Bond.

He looks like he can blend right into a hallmark movie.
    talos7 wrote: »
    It’s funny, like David Keith and Keith Dave, I tend to confuse Richard Johnson and John Richardson; the latter was said to have screentested for Bond.

There is a photo of Peter Hunt directing John Richardson doing a FRWL scene in a screentest! 'Cinema Retro' magazine depicted it in one their issues!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2023 Posts: 7,953
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    It’s funny, like David Keith and Keith Dave, I tend to confuse Richard Johnson and John Richardson; the latter was said to have screentested for Bond.

There is a photo of Peter Hunt directing John Richardson doing a FRWL scene in a screentest! 'Cinema Retro' magazine depicted it in one their issues!

He definitely had potential but would have need a little time with a trainer and a better haircut.

https://www.life.com/arts-entertainment/being-007-life-behind-the-scenes-at-james-bond-auditions/

O0bV2Tf.jpg

4PUX9n5.jpg

He definitely had potential but would have need a little time with a trainer and a better haircut.

https://www.life.com/arts-entertainment/being-007-life-behind-the-scenes-at-james-bond-auditions/

O0bV2Tf.jpg

4PUX9n5.jpg

Yeh, thats it!
    Might not have been bad at all!
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I've always felt there's a Craig look about Richardson.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,859
    So I put the literary description of James Bond (looks like Hoagy Carmichael, cold and ruthless, scar on right cheek, blue-grey eyes, cruel mouth, cold eyes, short black hair, a comma of hair, etc) into an AI thing and this is what it made:

Lucien_Midnight_photograph_of_literary_James_Bond_in_a_tux_whit_2ffcdf03-d71e-4215-9f9b-33ae7a98492b.png?width=573&height=573

Not bad. I wish I could get it to look more like a photograph of a real person though. If it gave me something that looked like an actual photograph I was going to try to fool you guys into thinking I found the perfect actor.

I’ve thought for a while that the guy who marched the description and feel of Fleming’s 007 really well was Richard Johnson.

Wasn't he one of the first choices for Bond at one point? It is interesting looking at who was supposedly considered for DN (according to Wiki anyway). You have the likes of Richard Johnson and Trevor Howard - very English, gentlemanly, and arguably more along the lines of what readers of the novels would have expected for Bond at the time. Then of course there's Stanley Baker and Sean Connery - a bit more raw as performers, arguably more known for playing criminals, anti-heroes and working class characters up until that point (both certainly came from working class backgrounds in comparison to most of the other contenders too). Again, all part of that long discussion about what qualities an actor needs for Bond.

Yes it's interesting what shape the ideal of Bond in the movies could have taken if they'd gone down that path rather than the more raw, sexy one. Might it not even have survived? Impossible to know of course. Was Oliver Reed looked at? He'd have been taking off at exactly the right time and slots more into the Connery side of things.

I suspect they always would have drifted towards the rawer, sexier actors. It was the 60s after all, times were changing and all that. I think such actors were more in vogue than the likes of Howard, Johnson and even David Niven (who I guess had their hey day in the 50s). The first Bond films were certainly made with the intention of capturing some of that more modern, swinging 60s type vibe rather than something more low key and 50s-esque if that makes sense too, so I think the producers knew they needed to find the right type of actor.

Yes, Reed was considered I think for OHMSS, but Broccoli and Saltzman said they had neither the time nor the resources to change his rough housing, heavy drinking public image. I think pre-'61 he was in quite a lot of uncredited and secondary parts so wouldn't necessarily have been on the producer's radar at that time. That and he was in his mid-20s so might have been deemed too young anyway. It is a shame. Wonderful actor, but an awful drunk.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,918
    I've always felt there's a Craig look about Richardson.

Yeah I can see that. He was a very good-looking fella, and very late-60s somehow. He never really made it very big, seemed to do lots of gallo films and the like- I'm not aware of having seen him in anything. I'd love to see some of those tests, can they really all have performed worse than Lazenby?

media.jpg

I suspect they always would have drifted towards the rawer, sexier actors. It was the 60s after all, times were changing and all that. I think such actors were more in vogue than the likes of Howard, Johnson and even David Niven (who I guess had their hey day in the 50s). The first Bond films were certainly made with the intention of capturing some of that more modern, swinging 60s type vibe rather than something more low key and 50s-esque if that makes sense too, so I think the producers knew they needed to find the right type of actor.

Yes I think they were somewhat ahead of their time there, spotting that the Cary Grant/Niven type was perhaps on the way out. Connery was a bit more modern, somehow.
    Yes, Reed was considered I think for OHMSS, but Broccoli and Saltzman said they had neither the time nor the resources to change his rough housing, heavy drinking public image. I think pre-'61 he was in quite a lot of uncredited and secondary parts so wouldn't necessarily have been on the producer's radar at that time. That and he was in his mid-20s so might have been deemed too young anyway. It is a shame. Wonderful actor, but an awful drunk.

Yes, his performances were getting a bit wilder by then also. But I wonder if they came across him for Dr No back before he was known for being wild: he was certainly around and getting started in movies, not in a dissimilar position to Connery, even. I can certainly imagine him doing it.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,859

Yes, his performances were getting a bit wilder by then also. But I wonder if they came across him for Dr No back before he was known for being wild: he was certainly around and getting started in movies, not in a dissimilar position to Connery, even. I can certainly imagine him doing it.

I think the fact that 5 out of his first 9 film roles were uncredited didn't help, and the rest are very much minor roles (much of it is stuff like like 'thug' or 'teddy boy in cinema fight'). Even Connery was always credited and played named characters, so I guess was more in the vein of a working character actor rather than a young actor at the very start of their career as Reed was at that time.

Reed of course did a film called The Assassination Bureau in '69 with Diana Rigg. Only seen it once a long time ago but I remember he had good chemistry with Rigg and seemed like he could play Bond. He's actually more or less who I imagine whenever I read the novels.
    I'm watching Treason at the moment and I've noticed a few Bond alumni in the cast. I'm wondering if there couldn't be some actors suitable for future Bond movies and maybe Bond himself?

O0bV2Tf.jpg

4PUX9n5.jpg

Yeah, yeah Richardson Shmichardson - what about that lady !!!!???!!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Since62 wrote: »

O0bV2Tf.jpg

4PUX9n5.jpg

Yeah, yeah Richardson Shmichardson - what about that lady !!!!???!!!!

Not an easy angle to see from, but could it be Ingrid Pitt? :-?
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    How traditionally suave will the new bond be?

Will he rock rings, bracelets, necklaces, tattoos etc.

It does make bond more modern but also a bit ordinary.

But could he even fit into modern society without such an update?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @ByRoyalDecree
    Can you please avoid double posting by using the edit button? Just click the little wheel you notice in the upper right corner of your post when you move the cursor.
    Thank you.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @ByRoyalDecree
    Can you please avoid double posting by using the edit button? Just click the little wheel you notice in the upper right corner of your post when you move the cursor.
    Thank you.

Not all posts should be made into one you @#$%&;!
    @ByRoyalDecree
    Thank you.

Not all posts should be made into one you @#$%&;!

I take that as a 'yes'.
    Lloyd Everitt

jez_andrews3.jpg
    MV5BNjI3NDczOTEtYWFhNi00NzhmLThkZDEtZDA0Y2RjMTUzZDVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
    lloyd-everitt_3549210.png
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Respectfully, I don’t see a single thing that says James Bond.

Me neither, although he does have screen presence from what I've seen of him. He might make an interesting Tanner, perhaps? But not Bond, not in my opinion at least.
    Not all actors have stills or performances that do their candidacy justice. I haven’t seen him in anything but I def can imagine him being named James.

Masculine, handsome, down to earth, sharp cheekbones, good voice.

———

I really like ATJ from the clips I’ve seen of bullet train. Whoever ends up in the role should hint at similar smoothness/swagger (that reminds of Vincent Vega, Frankie 4 Fingers etc.)

I think it’s one of the things that set Connery, Craig and Brosnan apart from the others.

Me neither, although he does have screen presence from what I've seen of him. He might make an interesting Tanner, perhaps? But not Bond, not in my opinion at least.

I get a British soap opera vibe from a lot of them.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Maybe it’s because it’s the only thing they’ve been cast in. You have to be able to think beyond it.

I get a soulless Marvel vibe from a lot of the other ones. It's not necessarily their own fault.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,918

Me too - and it must be an innate thing in them, because I don't even watch our soaps! ;) Watched Bullet Train yesterday and deliberately kept an eye on ATJ's performance. Nothing Bondian in it and he was only playing a comedy Londoner with a daft voice, but I have to say I was surprised by the level of his acting. He's pretty damn good. If he's also capable of pulling off a dramatic role to that standard, we could do a lot worse.
    Venutius wrote: »

Watched Bullet Train yesterday and deliberately kept an eye on ATJ's performance. Nothing Bondian in it and he was only playing a comedy Londoner with a daft voice, but I have to say I was surprised by the level of his acting. He's pretty damn good. If he's also capable of pulling off a dramatic role to that standard, we could do a lot worse.

Agree, he is a looker too. He’s got the eyes, the smirk and from the fan trailer he could def pull of a sombre Driver type performance/art film.

I similarly kept an eye on Callum Turner in Fantastic Beasts and thought he was incredibly flat.
    Callum Turner is most definitely not Bond material. Just like that other Turner -- and for the record: I have no personal beef with the Turner name or anything ;-) -- he comes off as dull to me. Both are capable actors, but they lack the "oomph" I'm looking for in Bond.
    That’s the thing though, in the right setting, I think a good director could bring out a good performance from almost anyone.
    That’s the thing though, in the right setting, I think a good director could bring out a good performance from almost anyone.

True enough, although I think we can agree that a certain minimal "Bond" has to be there first. Imagine Tom Arnold, Joe Spinell, Justin Bieber, Steven Seagal, ... 😁 The world's greatest director couldn't elicit anything even close to Bond from these fellas.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

True enough, although I think we can agree that a certain minimal "Bond" has to be there first. Imagine Tom Arnold, Joe Spinell, Justin Bieber, Steven Seagal, ... 😁 The world's greatest director couldn't elicit anything even close to Bond from these fellas.

🤣🤣
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I'm surprised FilmUpdates are only tweeting this today...

• edited January 2023 Posts: 137
    Having just finished Slow Horses Season 2 - I still think Jack Lowden is great. When he speaks with his natural accent he is also the spit of Connery. Given his character in Slow Horses is more of an incompetent, it’s played with some comic effect. But, I could really see him pulling it off with the right script, bulking up a good bit and some Terence Young inspired tailoring.

jack-lowden-arrives-for-the-premiere-of-slow-horses-at-regent-street-cinema-central-london-picture-date-wednesday-march-30-2022-2J27WJD.jpg

I also find ATJ has a habit of really mumbling his lines. In Tenet I could barely understand a word he said. I think he is an interesting choice and he is extremely well connected in the British film industry clic.