Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    The fight scene in the dancer's room in TMWTGG is pretty underrated in my opinion. Whenever I watched the film as a kid the moment where Rog grabs one of the goon's head and just starts smashing it against the wall always gave me a weirdly visceral reaction.

Yeah I think that's his best Bond fight scene. Not too many of those weird punches where he cradles the baddie's face first! :)

Out of all of the Bonds, even though he's probably the least convincing 007 fighter, he must have done more screen fights than the rest of them put together. Maverick, Ivanhoe, 118 episodes of The Saint, The Persuaders, his 7 Bond films, all with often more than one fight per episode; other movies too... that must be a couple of hundred screen dust-ups.
    Yea, even Amy Winehouse referenced Roger Moore's fighting skills.
    Wow. Barbara understood the concept of reboots even back in 2006. The lass.
    Unfortunately.
  • I agree the dressing room fight in TMWTGG is pretty underrated.

My favorite of Moore’s fights is the yo-yo palace fight from Octopussy. Excellent use of direction and editing that really gives the fight a fast paced feeling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting that news about James Higgins went under the radar somewhat. I didn't realise there was a third director.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Aren’t development and preproduction different stages?

Aren’t development and preproduction different stages?

I guess you are correct. in development
    I really hope they will go in a different, lighter direction in the next films, but to be honest, I doubt it will happen. I fear they will try to make the movies even more dark and emotional, especially since this direction was a success during the Craig era.
  • Kojak007 wrote: »
    I really hope they will go in a different, lighter direction in the next films, but to be honest, I doubt it will happen. I fear they will try to make the movies even more dark and emotional, especially since this direction was a success during the Craig era.

It's oxymoronic in theory, but I think it's possible to do both. I can see a route where they can be more dark and emotional while also have more fun and humour involved, but I think it'll probably take a different voice in the writers room to get to that point.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,430
    Kojak007 wrote: »

It's oxymoronic in theory, but I think it's possible to do both. I can see a route where they can be more dark and emotional while also have more fun and humour involved, but I think it'll probably take a different voice in the writers room to get to that point.

I liked the talk during NTTD production about how Bond can still be old-fashioned and not-so politically correct, and actually play with how a man like that would operate in today's world in an interesting way. I think this can bring both humorous moments and darker moments in an authentic way.

Bond is slightly colder and more ruthless than you expect, his kills come as a shock after so much charm. He smokes and drinks and flirts a little too openly, but he only pushes it too far when it's self-destructive.

Random, but, I can say that, as a gay man, I never want to see Bond in bed with another man.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kojak007 wrote: »

I liked the talk during NTTD production about how Bond can still be old-fashioned and not-so politically correct, and actually play with how a man like that would operate in today's world in an interesting way.

For all its faults, I thought NTTD did a really good job of putting Bond in the modern day, ironing out some of his more dated character aspects but still keeping others without laughing at him, and still making him feel like Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I think it's why I feel EON have got a really tough job on their hands, even more so this time round, because generationally we're now at a stage where who and what James Bond stood for has kind fallen away somewhat and its not gonna be easy to try and find how a character like James Bond can adapt to that.

Back in 2005, a lot of what made James Bond who he is still existed and still worked, but now we're at stage where things have changed massively and we're now gonna be having a James Bond who would've been born in the late 80s or early 90s, so overall I'll be interested to see how they handle it.
    I want Michael Clayton meets Splinter Cell.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That does sound quite good actually!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Depends. Splinter Cell is awesome to play but based on stealth. A Bond who has to hide in the shadows all the time sounds a bit dull. A little of that, however, might be cool.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Depends. Splinter Cell is awesome to play but based on stealth. A Bond who has to hide in the shadows all the time sounds a bit dull. A little of that, however, might be cool.

I'd love a good Splinter Cell style stealth sequence, I think it'd be a great PTS idea and way to introduce a new Bond in a slick fashion.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'd love a good Splinter Cell style stealth sequence, I think it'd be a great PTS idea and way to introduce a new Bond in a slick fashion.

For a PTS, yes, I can definitely agree.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A simple first outing for Bond. No extraneous characters or length, no bloat.

I blame Mendes.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,351
    So, one question I always ponder when it comes to the future of Bond and his attitudes towards the changing norms of societies is whether fans (and I myself) would be ok with Bond being depicted as out of step. Keep his attitudes as is - maybe not 50s/60s, but Brosnan‘s sexist, mysoginist dinosaur of the 90s - but then don’t act like everyone still thinks he’s the coolest guy in the room. If they f.e. had a female character who actually isn’t ok with him just stepping into her shower naked, unannounced, wouldn’t all of the anti-woke warriors scream from the rooftops: They are destroying an icon?

I don’t know why I keep picking at this thread. I don’t want the films to be a bad Johnny English-knockoff („Haha. He wants a big car, but the government will only give him an electric smart car. How silly!“). But I also feel like we can’t just be sitting here saying: The character has to stay the same AND he has to stay at his place in culture in society. On the other hand, the Bond films have been managing to imagine a world in which a British agent is still somehow relevant in world politics, so I guess they can do a lot of things if written right.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well that’s the thing; I don’t think NTTD did depict him as out of step did it? In terms of his attitudes, not that he’d retired. I can’t think of much anyway. Which I kind of liked, they’ve been to that well too often.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So, one question I always ponder when it comes to the future of Bond and his attitudes towards the changing norms of societies is whether fans (and I myself) would be ok with Bond being depicted as out of step. Keep his attitudes as is - maybe not 50s/60s, but Brosnan‘s sexist, mysoginist dinosaur of the 90s - but then don’t act like everyone still thinks he’s the coolest guy in the room. If they f.e. had a female character who actually isn’t ok with him just stepping into her shower naked, unannounced, wouldn’t all of the anti-woke warriors scream from the rooftops: They are destroying an icon?

I don’t know why I keep picking at this thread. I don’t want the films to be a bad Johnny English-knockoff („Haha. He wants a big car, but the government will only give him an electric smart car. How silly!“). But I also feel like we can’t just be sitting here saying: The character has to stay the same AND he has to stay at his place in culture in society. On the other hand, the Bond films have been managing to imagine a world in which a British agent is still somehow relevant in world politics, so I guess they can do a lot of things if written right.

It's an interesting thought. I was dwelling the other day on the idea of a modern day Bond who still smokes in a society that's largely moved past it, so he has to pick and choose where he's able to find a moment to do so.
  • If Bond 26 is even half as good as NTTD I will be happy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,944
    I think a Bond who smokes cigarettes nowadays would come off looking a bit desperate. It's just not what it was. He looked cool wearing flares in Spy Who Loved Me but it'd look terrible now.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think a Bond who smokes cigarettes nowadays would come off looking a bit desperate. It's just not what it was. He looked cool wearing flares in Spy Who Loved Me but it'd look terrible now.

As long as he doesn't start vaping, I'm fine. ;-)
  • So, one question I always ponder when it comes to the future of Bond and his attitudes towards the changing norms of societies is whether fans (and I myself) would be ok with Bond being depicted as out of step. Keep his attitudes as is - maybe not 50s/60s, but Brosnan‘s sexist, mysoginist dinosaur of the 90s - but then don’t act like everyone still thinks he’s the coolest guy in the room.
    If I recall correctly, it was one of the ideas of William Davis and William Osborne's Bond 17 script, with Bond considering he's too old for everything, being constantly told he's outdated, most notably regarding his way to approach women. It was definitely a departure from previous films with Dalton and the comedic tone was far from relevant. I guess there would be a better way to portray these ideas, but this attempt was far from being convincing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So, one question I always ponder when it comes to the future of Bond and his attitudes towards the changing norms of societies is whether fans (and I myself) would be ok with Bond being depicted as out of step. Keep his attitudes as is - maybe not 50s/60s, but Brosnan‘s sexist, mysoginist dinosaur of the 90s - but then don’t act like everyone still thinks he’s the coolest guy in the room.
    If I recall correctly, it was one of the ideas of William Davis and William Osborne's Bond 17 script, with Bond considering he's too old for everything, being constantly told he's outdated, most notably regarding his way to approach women. It was definitely a departure from previous films with Dalton and the comedic tone was far from relevant. I guess there would be a better way to portray these ideas, but this attempt was far from being convincing.

Yeah I thought their take on Bond in that story was a bit mad, to be honest; it would just turn the audience off him, wouldn't it? And Dalton didn't seem the guy to play it. I'm not sure Bond would ever be the guy to start thinking he's too old: he thinks he's amazing, that's kind of the point of him. They did have some good stunt ideas though.