'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

The 15th Doctor's new Companion will be revealed tonight during the Children in Need show. This will air on BBC One from 19.00 to 23.00 BST (or GMT)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd be surprised if they are anything other than a modern day female. It would a nice change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    At least RTD is promoting the show there has been a lot of DW chatter in recent weeks, RTD will try to make the show relevant again... hopefully. I am being optimistic. lol
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Millie Gibson 18, never heard of her?? New companion called Ruby Sunday. Apparently she was on Coronation Street.

Millie-Gibson-Kelly-Coronation-Street-7adc.png
    Rose 2.0

With the casting so far it appears they are going for a younger audience.

Children in Need...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Feels promising somehow. I can see this working.

DW_2022_DSCF6812r_halfsize-96112c07cf.jpg
    I'm not too fond of the name. After all, jokes about the Rolling Stones will certainly follow her (such as saying she'll gather no moss). But as we Bond fans got a Strawberry Fields, who are we to judge, right ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah it's catchy: Rose Tyler, Amy Pond, sort of thing.
    Genuinely can't think what Yaz's surname was now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another modern female companion. To quote The Brigadier, "Well, here we go again."
    Ruby Sunday sounds like the sort of name Russell T Davis would come up with. I like it. Seems like a decent casting choice too.

Must admit, I think I'll give these future Who episodes a go next year. Lost interest in Dr. Who half-way through Matt Smith's era to be honest (really not a fan of much of Steven Moffat's writing). Couldn't get through any of the Chibnall episodes.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,105

They clearly have good chemistry, which was lacking with Jodie and any of her companion's.
    I'll say this for him, he gives of happy positive vibes. Whether that carries over to his Doctor, remains to be seen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I like his slightly bizarre Scottish/Rwandan accent.
    Yeah, he's got a good presence for sure. His accent sounds quite nice to me too and reminds me of a couple of friends I grew up with (near Edinburgh - they weren't originally Rwandan but were half from other African countries so had a bit of a mix of accents... the Edinburgh Scottish accent has that nice distinctive sound to it I think, and I know Gatwa spent time there growing up). I hope he keeps his accent as the Doctor and doesn't go town the David Tennent route of doing an English accent.
    mtm wrote: »
    Feels promising somehow. I can see this working.

DW_2022_DSCF6812r_halfsize-96112c07cf.jpg
    She look great to me

Fantastic!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,105

Another great DW era review.

Damn, that made me miss Smith more than I already do (though series 6 was a disappointment*). That was some genius casting from Moffat.

*Especially compared to series 5.

Did everyone see the news about series 14? It's only going to be 8 episodes long, but the Christmas specials are coming back.

Damn, that made me miss Smith more than I already do (though series 6 was a disappointment*). That was some genius casting from Moffat.

Did everyone see the news about series 14? It's only going to be 8 episodes long, but the Christmas specials are coming back.

I loved the Matt Smith era though the way season 6 ended was very dissapointing Moffat was juggling two many projects at once, I did like the first half of the season,
    Amy revealed as a ganger was brilliant
    . I think the Flesh two parter is great despite a terrible monster.

I heard about the short season though after that there will be longer seasons and also DW spinoffs lined up. RTD appears to have big plans going forward.

I am hoping Smith appears in the 60th, I have a theory that the Doctors regeneration is in some kind of Flux and I would not be surprised if he randomly regenerated into other Doctors.

I loved the Matt Smith era though the way season 6 ended was very dissapointing Moffat was juggling two many projects at once, I did like the first half of the season,

I heard about the short season though after that there will be longer seasons and also DW spinoffs lined up. RTD appears to have big plans going forward.

I am hoping Smith appears in the 60th, I have a theory that the Doctors regeneration is in some kind of Flux and I would not be surprised if he randomly regenerated into other Doctors.

I only remember bits of the series 6 episodes, none stuck in my mind. Series 5 was so good, such a strong debut series, the only story I didn't like (and it is more to do with casting), is The Lodger. I just can't stand James Corden. I couldn't tolerate him back in 2010 when the episode first went out, and I can't tolerate him 12 years later.

I think it is possible that Smith could come back, and i'd like it to happen. It will have been 10 years since he left the role, that'll be enough time passed for a return. I have no idea how RTD will work in the 14th Doctor looking suspiciously similar to the 10th Doctor. There are some fan theories swirling around, involving a certain classic era villain and the reason for the regeneration.

I only remember bits of the series 6 episodes, none stuck in my mind. Series 5 was so good, such a strong debut series, the only story I didn't like (and it is more to do with casting), is The Lodger. I just can't stand James Corden. I couldn't tolerate him back in 2010 when the episode first went out, and I can't tolerate him 12 years later.

I think it is possible that Smith could come back, and i'd like it to happen. It will have been 10 years since he left the role, that'll be enough time passed for a return. I have no idea how RTD will work in the 14th Doctor looking suspiciously similar to the 10th Doctor. There are some fan theories swirling around, involving a certain classic era villain and the reason for the regeneration.

I am not a fan of Corden either, he is not funny and painfully over acts.

Season 5 was amazing Moffat is a genius, Amy's Choice was brilliant in that it was a microcosm of many of the other episodes.
    Amy being pregnant for example
    , there was so much foreshadowing in Amy's Choice.

I also heard the Ncuti Gatwa shot in the trailer has a fake background intentionally put in to hide the real location of the 15th Doctor as it will give a huge spoiler away.

ncuti-gatwa-b8fc9ce.jpg?quality=90&resize=980,654

It would be great to see that classic era immortal villian return. I also think the Meddling Monk should return at some stage.

If I remember correctly the
    Celestial Toymaker
    was set to return in the first episode of the cancelled Colin Baker 3rd Season.

Season 5 was amazing Moffat is a genius, Amy's Choice was brilliant in that it was a microcosm of many of the other episodes.

I also heard the Ncuti Gatwa shot in the trailer has a fake background intentionally put in to hide the real location of the 15th Doctor as it will give a huge spoiler away.

It would be great to see that classic era immortal villian return. I also think the Meddling Monk should return at some stage.

Celestial Toymaker

I didn't know about the backround, but now that you have brought it up, I did see something about photos of the new Tardis console room having been leaked on one site. Makes sense if that is where that clip is from. Though there was no clarification as to whether it is the 14th or 15th Doctors Tardis.

Celestial Toymaker

I didn't know about the backround, but now that you have brought it up, I did see something about photos of the new Tardis console room having been leaked on one site. Makes sense if that is where that clip is from. Though there was no clarification as to whether it is the 14th or 15th Doctors Tardis.

I have speculated that The Edge (Doctor who limbo) will return though that would seem to obvious and it was Chibnalls idea, Ncuti could be anywhere even Gallifrey?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Celestial Toymaker

I would expect it to stay the same for both. It's looking rather lovely.
    mtm wrote: »

Celestial Toymaker

I would expect it to stay the same for both. It's looking rather lovely.

I have since seen the new console room.
    I like the fusion of old and new. It has the size and layout of the modern console rooms, but the look of the classic one(s)
    Take with a pinch of salt? *WARNING POTENTIAL MAJOR SPOILERS!*...
    M5i00pF.png

eDblz9f.png

These so called leaks don't seem that far fetched to be honest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funny how these fan rumours are always based around lots of old things returning...
    Time will tell, I added an extra paragraph to the spoiler tag.
    I hope that last one is true, especially regarding Smith. And Ncuti must be charismatic, as it was only a few weeks back, that Peter Capaldi ruled out coming back (for a multi Doctor story).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Nice pic of the new Doctor.

FkMzKhzXEAAl25y?format=jpg&name=large
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm into it.