Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

Talking of rumours not being true, back in 1984 before the film's release, there were rumours that Temple of Doom was going to feature Dinosaurs...😄

I wonder why, :D It would take almost a decade for Spielberg to scratch that itch, but he probably was already in discussions about the feasibility of it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Also, this was every Spielberg directed/produced film at the time. Always a kid, always the crucial element to bring in the families-- in TOD's case, no doubt to compensate for the film's darker tone.

That's very true. I would just add that even today Spielberg has that chip on his foot. Even if there's no actual kid, there's always a reference to a disfuncional family or a divorce, or abandonment. He should have made "The Fabelmans" back in the day and be self therapeutical about it. Although, we wouldn't have those true gems like Empire of the Sun, which is a perfect film in every way.

Correct, @Univex!

Spielberg put a lot of his own emotions into his films, but the splendid outcome shaped my youth. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Glad to see someone else like EOTS. That makes... two of us? ;-)

Three! I love that movie, although it's quite different from the novel in places.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 669
    I go back and forth on the Willie character but that's all in the writing, as others have said. Capshaw herself is all in, and it's clear she's having a ball making that movie.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited December 2022 Posts: 467
    Univex wrote: »
    That's very true. I would just add that even today Spielberg has that chip on his foot. Even if there's no actual kid, there's always a reference to a dysfuncional family or a divorce, or abandonment. He should have made "The Fabelmans" back in the day and be self therapeutical about it. Although, we wouldn't have those true gems like Empire of the Sun, which is a perfect film in every way.

Which made him the perfect choice to complete Kubrick's A.I. given that the ending, which is actually cruel rather than bittersweet, implies a simulacre of David's real-life "mother" being now kind to him (while she was the one who had abandoned him), before David goes "to that place… where dreams are born", i.e. gets terminated by the modern units who wanted to study him interacting with "humans" to get an idea of what this long-gone species was like.
    I know that some people theorized that the story of Kubrick trusting Spielberg with directing A.I. while he would have taken a backseat by being the producer, was fabricated by his brother-in-law, but if you know a thing of two about the making of Eyes Wide Shut, even Kubrick would have realized that he was not in a capacity to direct a film starring a young child in the part of a robot who doesn't age, as Haley Joel Osment could have grown something like three inches and reached puberty during the fifteen months or the two years of shooting.
    And Spielberg had the right sensibility, given his own emphasis on the bound between mother and child and dysfunctional families, to execute that supposedly cute epilogue and give to the audience some glimpses of what's actually taking place.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The best thing about Temple of Doom (IMO) are the bookends so to speak. The opening sequence in the nightclub (Ford dressed like Connery from Goldfinger is a nice touch) is great fun and the climax with the rope bridge is tense and exciting (albeit with some dodgy special effects)

Talking of rumours not being true, back in 1984 before the film's release, there were rumours that Temple of Doom was going to feature Dinosaurs...😄

Can't entirely disagree; I think I'd push it a bit earlier though- once Indy is cured of the black sleep and turns good again, it's full power right to the climax.

Indy vs dinosaurs would have been pretty spot on, I think. Very 'Lost World'.

429180._UY475_SS475_.jpg
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    mtm wrote: »
    The best thing about Temple of Doom (IMO) are the bookends so to speak. The opening sequence in the nightclub (Ford dressed like Connery from Goldfinger is a nice touch) is great fun and the climax with the rope bridge is tense and exciting (albeit with some dodgy special effects)

Can't entirely disagree; I think I'd push it a bit earlier though- once Indy is cured of the black sleep and turns good again, it's full power right to the climax.

429180._UY475_SS475_.jpg

I think Indy and Dinosaurs were made for each other...😁
  • mtm wrote: »

429180._UY475_SS475_.jpg

I think Indy and Dinosaurs were made for each other...😁

Something tells me Spielberg would not have balked at the idea. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,102

Just rewatched Indy 4 trailer it is pretty good, as time has passed Ford's age in this seems less apparent. There is the possibility that if Indy 5 is not that great it coukd elevate Indy 4...

This reminds me I still need to buy these films in 4K, I may as well wait for the five film boxset.
    ---

Amusing review from Calvin, he is spot on when discussing Karen Allen.

Edited: I will take my previous comment back, it's unlikely Indy 5 will elevate Indy 4 😂
    The only way Indy 4 would elevate would be if the heavier sludge at the bottom of the sewage pit kept rising and Indy 4 floated on top of it...overdone ? Perhaps. Exaggeration for the sake of conveying a point. Personally, I liked a LOT of it (Marion yes, Kate Blanchett yes, the ants m-o-s-t-l-y, but some parts throughout (Mutt) and at the end (the aliens, who awakened to then...just...leave...) went - here it comes again - down the drain.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    John Williams says they're filming another ending at 5:50.

This lends credence to the leaks being real and getting extremely negative responses.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As I may have said before somewhere (don't remember place, time, nor occasion), Indy4 was a perfect attempt to take the pre (or within-)-war Indy story into the post-war world. And IMO it succeeded in that regard totally. Love all four of the IJ movies and am looking forward for no. 5, especially after watching the teaser-trailer. But I guess it will also be the end of the series, realistically speaking.
  • slide_99 wrote: »

This lends credence to the leaks being real and getting extremely negative responses.

Leaks are generally just a load of misinformation
    slide_99 wrote: »

Leaks are generally just a load of misinformation

I'd like to think you are right but in this case......................................
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861

No it doesn't. 2 + 2 does not equal 5.

It just means they're still working on the film, as films usually get worked on. Even Raiders had its ending added in a reshoot; does that mean that Raiders was received extremely negatively?

Notice the guy who started the rumours has just made a video about this possible reshoot. Don't you think if he was so clued in about what's going on with the film then he'd have known about this before John Williams mentioned it at a public event? And when he saw it on YouTube many hours later along with everyone else? He hasn't got any sources at all, clearly. Which lends credence to the leaks being entirely made-up.
    Raiders got a reshoot of the ending ? Good grief ! After all those wax people melted a first time they had to make some more ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Since62 wrote: »
    Raiders got a reshoot of the ending ? Good grief ! After all those wax people melted a first time they had to make some more ?

They ran out of money and were forced to use real people the second time, who sacrificed their lives in the name of legendary cinema.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »

No, Marion disappeared after the island and they realised they needed that moment on the steps in Washington with her.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

No it doesn't. 2 + 2 does not equal 5.

It just means they're still working on the film, as films usually get worked on. Even Raiders had its ending added in a reshoot; does that mean that Raiders was received extremely negatively?

Notice the guy who started the rumours has just made a video about this possible reshoot. Don't you think if he was so clued in about what's going on with the film then he'd have known about this before John Williams mentioned it at a public event? And when he saw it on YouTube many hours later along with everyone else? He hasn't got any sources at all, clearly. Which lends credence to the leaks being entirely made-up.

Glad I'm not the only one who won't take the bait.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I just don't understand people who seemingly want the film to be terrible, either. It's such wasted energy.
    I just don't understand people who seemingly want the film to be terrible, either. It's such wasted energy.

People crave "bombs", something that can cathartically dispel their anger. They can then blame the "woke" system of Hollywood, or "modern" films and why they suck, or Kathleen Kennedy who "ruins everything". They have become the very people who complained about Star Wars in 1977 and who hadn't seen a "good film" since Steamboat Bill Jr. in 1928. ;-)
  • Kathleen Kennedy somehow gets alot of abuse. I still don't get it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    She's not a man. See also, to a much lesser extent thankfully, 'Babs' being in love with Danny Craig etc.
    Regardless of our thoughts and expectations? I am so excited to see Harrison Ford as Indy on the big screen again! :-bd
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,834
    I'm really intrigued by Shaunette Renée Wilson's character. With all the talk we're having about James Bond regarding female villains and henchwomen, that's the route I hope this character takes and doesn't just fall to the wayside in an already quite large cast.

ee6g0zo8v02a1.jpg
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,448
    Kathleen Kennedy somehow gets alot of abuse. I still don't get it.

She allegedly kicked the rough masculinity out of Star Wars -- a masculinity in SW which I never got.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited December 2022 Posts: 648

It's because of what she did to Star Wars.

Except that she didn't. 😊

Except that she didn't. 😊
    But maybe something was wrong about her E-mails?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One more time for anyone who thinks the made up rumours have any credence:

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I find it rich that when you dare complain about a female executive it's because you are misogynistic or from the dark ages. But when you complain about a man it's fine. Are women not allowed to be taken to task for certain creative choices.

Lets remember that the last trilogy was all under Kathleen Kennedy's watch. We got TFA and people said it was a copy of Star Wars. Then we get the LJ where Luke's character undergoes a complete transformation and not in a good way. Then we have ROS where Rey is suddenly taking the mantle of Skywalker, even though she isn't one.

Kathleen must have had say in these and other choices. Oh and whose bright idea was it to not have Ford, Fisher and Hamill appear together in at least one scene? Squandered opportunity. I hope she is making better choices within Indy's world. I fear based on track record that we might see some similarly bad choices play out. But I am misogynistic fan! LOL