The Film Noir Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,102
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Accordingt to wikipedia, the original broadcast of CR was in color, though the survivng kinescope was in black and white.

I wonder how much truth there is to that? Be interesting to know what the film looked like in color.
    Saying that the handkerchief may actually be black looking at the original image or perhaps red? I know when films were shot in black and white certain tricks/colors were used to make things look more prominent. I am going to check the color poster for the film.

I've always been fascinated by the techniques used for classic black and white cinematography: colors of the sets, clothes and props.
    George Reeves' gray/brown Superman suit for instance.
    I imagine Barry Nelson's dinner jacket was probably a beige, buff, taupe or gray.

I would certainly like to see the color version of CR54 just out of curiosity.

I recall the Superman costume, if memory serves its also illustrated in Hollywoodland though its been years since I watched it, I have it on DVD.
    ---
    alJjE1W.jpg

TtEANOj.jpg

Out of the Past (1947) I used two different filters for this one, Jane Greer looks amazing.

Edited: Decided to watch Out of the Past, this film really is very good the dialogue is so sharp, the moment Jane Greer appears wow.
    Accordingt to wikipedia, the original broadcast of CR was in color, though the survivng kinescope was in black and white.

I wonder how much truth there is to that? Be interesting to know what the film looked like in color.
    Saying that the handkerchief may actually be black looking at the original image or perhaps red? I know when films were shot in black and white certain tricks/colors were used to make things look more prominent. I am going to check the color poster for the film.

I've always been fascinated by the techniques used for classic black and white cinematography: colors of the sets, clothes and props.
    George Reeves' gray/brown Superman suit for instance.
    I imagine Barry Nelson's dinner jacket was probably a beige, buff, taupe or gray.

I would certainly like to see the color version of CR54 just out of curiosity.

I recall the Superman costume, if memory serves its also illustrated in Hollywoodland though its been years since I watched it, I have it on DVD.
    ---
    alJjE1W.jpg

TtEANOj.jpg

Out of the Past (1947) I used two different filters for this one, Jane Greer looks amazing.

Edited: Decided to watch Out of the Past, this film really is very good the dialogue is so sharp, the moment Jane Greer appears wow.

One great scene after another. I can watch this film countless times per year and not get burned out on it.
    Slightly off topic here is a color shot of Karloff from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

1ef358bd9dea5441e25a64a93cad5b5f08c31bf_r.jpg

This was from a monster movie forum thread debating the shade of greasepaint Jack Pierce used on Karloff for the Monster. The photo is from home movie footage taken on the set. Most transfers of that footage are pretty bad in quality, especially on Youtube.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,598
    Thanks @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. OUT OF THE PAST is top 10 Noir for me. Mitchum, Douglas and Greer ... it is hard to top that!
    FgmL.gif
    ... the moment Kathie Moffat (Jane Greer) walks in ^:)^
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Slightly off topic here is a color shot of Karloff from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

1ef358bd9dea5441e25a64a93cad5b5f08c31bf_r.jpg

This was from a monster movie forum thread debating the shade of greasepaint Jack Pierce used on Karloff for the Monster. The photo is from home movie footage taken on the set. Most transfers of that footage are pretty bad in quality, especially on Youtube.

It really is amazing how iconic that make up/design became. I like seeing all the behind the scenes footage and often listen to movie audio commentaries
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Thanks @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. OUT OF THE PAST is top 10 Noir for me. Mitchum, Douglas and Greer ... it is hard to top that!
    FgmL.gif
    ... the moment Kathie Moffat (Jane Greer) walks in ^:)^

I need to watch more films with Jane Greer, amazing woman.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,598
    Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Jane Greer was quite the woman, and her beauty didn’t diminish with age. Here she is (with Richard Widmark – another classic era Noir icon) in 1984’s AGAINST ALL ODDS.
    …. It’s all in the eyes, my friend.
    MV5BMTM0MjdlZmMtMDE1ZS00MWUyLWE0MjEtMTE1YzU5ZDY3ZGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

While it is a bit outdated at this point, I recommend Femme Noir – Bad Girls of Film by Karen Burroughs Hannsberry (1998), to get something more than a thumbnail profile of many Noir actresses: Lauren Bacall to Ida Lupino (volume 1) and Dorothy Malone to Loretta Young (volume 2). There is also a "Bad Boys" companion book.

Given the renaissance that the study of classic films has experienced since this book’s publication, however, I’m on the lookout for something more up to date.
    513umslGgSL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA23%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg
    Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Jane Greer was quite the woman, and her beauty didn’t diminish with age. Here she is (with Richard Widmark – another classic era Noir icon) in 1984’s AGAINST ALL ODDS.
    MV5BMTM0MjdlZmMtMDE1ZS00MWUyLWE0MjEtMTE1YzU5ZDY3ZGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

While it is a bit outdated at this point, I recommend Femme Noir – Bad Girls of Film by Karen Burroughs Hannsberry (1998), to get something more than a thumbnail profile of many Noir actresses: Lauren Bacall to Ida Lupino (volume 1) and Dorothy Malone to Loretta Young (volume 2). There is also a "Bad Boys" companion book.

Given the renaissance that the study of classic films has experienced since this book’s publication, however, I’m on the lookout for something more up to date.
    513umslGgSL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA23%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

I have Against All Odds on DVD I only realized earlier looking at her IMDB page that Jane was in the movie, decent film great theme song by Phil Collins. actresses from that era had something that was rarely seen in later years.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, Against All Odds was a loose remake of Out of the Past and Jane Greer basically played the mother of the character she'd played in Out of the Past. Pretty good idea, I thought. I was watching Against All Odds the night the first Gulf War started - Rachel Ward had just got into it in Chichen Itza when it was taken off air because Desert Storm had kicked off!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2022 Posts: 13,882
    On the subject of Out Of The Past, the BAMF Style blog put out an entry, last month, on Mitchum's suede jacket in the film.

https://bamfstyle.com/2022/11/25/out-of-the-past-mitchum-suede/#more-68178
    On the subject of Out Of The Past, the BAMF Style blog put out an entry, last month, on Mitchum's suede jacket in the film.

That's a great article, @MajorDSmythe . I always loved the noir style in terms of faashion. I'd love to find a jacket like Mitchum's in those scenes.

Always loved Jane Greer. She looked great in her later years. There's that great Columbo episode where she plays Robert Vaughn's wife.
    Not sure how I feel about AGAINST ALL ODDS. Certainly an interesting remake, I love Jeff Bridges, and especially Rachel Ward. However, the film itself doesn't grab me as much as OUT OF THE PAST.
    I may revisit it just for Jane Greer's role.
    Fans of the Mitchum/Greer pairing in OUT OF THE PAST should absolutely check out THE BIG STEAL, a breezy, noir-ish chase film/comedy where the stars — quipping and setting off romantic sparks — make a very likable and engaging duo. It’s also interesting to see Greer play a completely different type of role opposite Mitchum.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Fans of the Mitchum/Greer pairing in OUT OF THE PAST should absolutely check out THE BIG STEAL, a breezy, noir-ish chase film/comedy where the stars — quipping and setting off romantic sparks — make a very likable and engaging duo. It’s also interesting to see Greer play a completely different type of role opposite Mitchum.

Love THE BIG STEAL. One of my favorite Mitchum flicks.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, Out of the Past's far superior, IMO. Rachel Ward was in a good version of Jim Thompson's After Dark, My Sweet back in the '90s. Not glammed up and playing a toxic alcoholic older woman, but pretty good.
    My first post on a new laptop as my old one was dying. What better thread to test this on than noir?

Here we go..................wish me luck..............

Annex%20-%20Turner,%20Lana%20(Postman%20Always%20Rings%20Twice,%20The)_NRFPT_01.jpg

Annex%20-%20Turner,%20Lana_07.jpg

Annex%20-%20Turner,%20Lana_NRFPT_06.jpg

I think this should work nicely. :D

Carry on.............

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My first post on a new laptop as my old one was dying. What better thread to test this on than noir?

Carry on.............
    Looks extremely good. Where can I buy this type of laptop?

Annex%20-%20Turner,%20Lana%20(Postman%20Always%20Rings%20Twice,%20The)_NRFPT_01.jpg

Carry on.............

ygGR5T8.jpg

:x
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Carry on.............
    Looks extremely good. Where can I buy this type of laptop?

From this gentleman............

original.jpg

He requires a year supply of earl gray, and you have to feed his cats when he's in the field.

Carry on.............

ygGR5T8.jpg

That looks great!

Carry on.............

ygGR5T8.jpg

That looks great!

Movie magic :)
    @ToTheRight. I think we buy our laptops from the same place. In my case, however, I decided to pick up this model:
    peggy-cummins-450x600.jpg

@ToTheRight. I think we buy our laptops from the same place. In my case, however, I decided to pick up this model:
    peggy-cummins-450x600.jpg

Lovely!
    Out of the Past After watching the end again
    I would have not turned Kate in.
    in the context of the movie, not reality.
    Out of the Past After watching the end again
    I would have not turned Kate in.
    in the context of the movie, not reality.

Of course if his plan had worked, Ann Miller (Virginia Huston) wasn't a bad fall-back option!
    4b4dd74ad9b35ed3c84b872b7d60bb2f.jpg
    I watched a few short documentary's on Jane Greer, wow Jane certainly had things made difficult for her by a certain multi millionaire. I often wondered why Jane was not an even a bigger star than she already was.

I never knew Jane had facial palsy.

I take it you guys are watching the new 'Film Noir' series on Sky Arts on Sunday evenings at 8pm?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I take it you guys are watching the new 'Film Noir' series on Sky Arts on Sunday evenings at 8pm?

Did not realize it was on cheers I will record it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That's a great article, @MajorDSmythe . I always loved the noir style in terms of faashion. I'd love to find a jacket like Mitchum's in those scenes.

Everyone should have suede in their wardrobe.

Everyone should have suede in their wardrobe.

It's a cool looking jacket, don't think I have had a suede jacket since I was a teenager.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    IaAWeNI.jpg
    I started using some Colorizing software today and used a few classic images to see how they look. @ToTheRight you may appreciate this image.
    Can you tell me, please, which colorizing software you use? Is it free...and safe? I guess I just want to play around a little with it, though I still have lots of B&W photos from the time between 1900 and about 1980.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    IaAWeNI.jpg
    I started using some Colorizing software today and used a few classic images to see how they look. @ToTheRight you may appreciate this image.
    Can you tell me, please, which colorizing software you use? Is it free...and safe? I guess I just want to play around a little with it, though I still have lots of B&W photos from the time between 1900 and about 1980.

It's called Palette it's actually a web page, I have only used some movie images on the site. This channel recommended Palette, the video gives a quick breakdown of the software...

I have no intention of using personal images on the site.

I have been thinking about getting some installable software that will do the same thing just not got round to it.