And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I have flapped back to the stage, Bill Conti and his orchestra have stopped playing "Make It Last All Night.

The Klebbie for hammiest performance in a Bond film goes to Jonathan Pryce for Elliot Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies. Accepting the award is the hostess Carver fired from the German studio! Proving that Carver does forgive!

Now we shall move on to another interesting category. Through-out the early films the producers often cast European actors and actresses. They were cast because of their close physical resemblance to the character in the Fleming novels. Often times these actors and actresses needed to be dubbed, as sometimes they had limited English skills, or very heavy accents. In one case the producers used a voice to highlight a villain who wouldn't appear on screen for several years.

Let's give these voice actors their due and give a Bondie to best Voice Actor in a Bond movie. I did keep this to the 1960's. If there are other actors in later films please let me know. We are voting on who most matched the on-screen actor, who brought the right voice to the character.

The nominees are:
    • Michael Collins as Goldfinger in Goldfinger "No Mister Bond I expect you to die!" perhaps one of the most iconic villain lines of dialogue ever uttered. Collins brought a voice that seemed to match Gert Frobes performance of Auric Goldfinger. As a child I thought it was Gert's voice!
    • David De Keyzer Marc Ange Draco On Her Majesty's Secret Service David had a rascal voice, one that really enhanced the portrayal of Marc Ange Draco on the screen. His monologue explaining his back story and that of Tracy was touching and also firm. David was able to capture the gangster with a heart of gold perfectly.
    • Eric Pohlmann Ernest Stravo Blofeld From Russia with Love and Thunderball menace, dark and evil. Eric was perfectly voice cast. Deep bass tones and a chilling sense of evil. Many wished his voice had been the Blofeld of YOLT. But sadly only 2 films had him voicing the character. I hesitated putting him on the list, as we didn't see an actor just the voice, however there was skill here!
    • Nikki Van Der Zyl as Honey Rider in Doctor No yes Ursula Andress brought the beauty, but Nikki brought a sweet voice that had an edge. Her voice when Honey tells the story of rape and revenge is note perfect and highlights the character perfectly. Beauty matches the voice in this performance
    • Robert Rietti as Tiger Tanaka in You Only Live Twice such warmth in this voice. Robert did a great job of bringing the character to life. Whether it was curiosity at Little Nellie, or telling Bond about Japanese plumbing, Robert had a voice that matched Tiger's physical appearance!

There you have it, our nominees for best voice actor in a Bond film. Which one deserves the honour of taking home a Bondie?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    All of them?..........
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I can't believe you reduced Nikki van der Zyl to re-voicing Ursula Andress. She re-voiced every single female role in Dr. No, except Moneypenny and Miss Taro and some Chinese girl (for altogether GBP 150), but including Eunice Gayson's Sylvia Trench (same in FRWL, where she also dubbed the hotel receptionist), Shirley Eaton in GF (where she was also hired as Gert Fröbe's voice coach, though they dubbed him after all), Claudine Auger in TB, Ursula Andress' Vesper Lynd in CR67, Mie Hama in YOLT, several of Blofeld's girls in OHMSS, at least part of Jane Seymour's lines in LALD, Chew Mee and a few others in TMWTTG and (ultimately, I guess) Corinne Cléry in MR. And would anybody say she did not match the characters in those? Hell, most of the audience never even noticed the voices were all the same.

If anything, Nikki probably deserves a lifetime achievement Bondie more than anybody else in the Bond world. At least more than anyone else who was never credited.

Take this as my vote for her here.

As for the rest: Even I as a German who had seen umpteen Gert Fröbe movies, including the German-dubbed version of GF which Gert did himself, didn't realise until much later that someone else dubbed him in the English/original version of GF. So kudos to Michael Collins indeed. But Nikki clearly takes the cake for me.
    thedove wrote: »
    I have flapped back to the stage, Bill Conti and his orchestra have stopped playing "Make It Last All Night.

The Klebbie for hammiest performance in a Bond film goes to Jonathan Pryce for Elliot Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies. Accepting the award is the hostess Carver fired from the German studio! Proving that Carver does forgive!

Now we shall move on to another interesting category. Through-out the early films the producers often cast European actors and actresses. They were cast because of their close physical resemblance to the character in the Fleming novels. Often times these actors and actresses needed to be dubbed, as sometimes they had limited English skills, or very heavy accents. In one case the producers used a voice to highlight a villain who wouldn't appear on screen for several years.

Let's give these voice actors their due and give a Bondie to best Voice Actor in a Bond movie. I did keep this to the 1960's. If there are other actors in later films please let me know. We are voting on who most matched the on-screen actor, who brought the right voice to the character.

The nominees are:
    • Michael Collins as Goldfinger in Goldfinger "No Mister Bond I expect you to die!" perhaps one of the most iconic villain lines of dialogue ever uttered. Collins brought a voice that seemed to match Gert Frobes performance of Auric Goldfinger. As a child I thought it was Gert's voice!
    • David De Keyzer Marc Ange Draco On Her Majesty's Secret Service David had a rascal voice, one that really enhanced the portrayal of Marc Ange Draco on the screen. His monologue explaining his back story and that of Tracy was touching and also firm. David was able to capture the gangster with a heart of gold perfectly.
    • Eric Pohlmann Ernest Stravo Blofeld From Russia with Love and Thunderball menace, dark and evil. Eric was perfectly voice cast. Deep bass tones and a chilling sense of evil. Many wished his voice had been the Blofeld of YOLT. But sadly only 2 films had him voicing the character. I hesitated putting him on the list, as we didn't see an actor just the voice, however there was skill here!
    • Nikki Van Der Zyl as Honey Rider in Doctor No yes Ursula Andress brought the beauty, but Nikki brought a sweet voice that had an edge. Her voice when Honey tells the story of rape and revenge is note perfect and highlights the character perfectly. Beauty matches the voice in this performance
    • Robert Rietti as Tiger Tanaka in You Only Live Twice such warmth in this voice. Robert did a great job of bringing the character to life. Whether it was curiosity at Little Nellie, or telling Bond about Japanese plumbing, Robert had a voice that matched Tiger's physical appearance!

There you have it, our nominees for best voice actor in a Bond film. Which one deserves the honour of taking home a Bondie?
    Eric Pohlmann as Blofeld, no hesitation. Without him, there's no Blofeld.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »

The nominees are:

I think I agree, although all the others were fantastic as well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    An extrmely difficult choice here. @j_w_pepper is right in that Nikki van der Zeyl deserves more credit for all the work she did than she ever got, that's for sure. The dubbing of Goldfinger, Marc Ange and Tiger were all done exquisetly well, they all belong to the list of top characters in the films. Even though I'm not much of a fan of the film Goldfinger, Fröbe hits it out of the park, and so does Michael Collins. However, I do think the Bondie should go to Pohlmann.
    'our estimates were considerably (pause) higher'.
    'competition from Latin America, prices are down'
    'I anticipated that factor!'.
    And a death centence has been spoken right then and there. I can't think of any voice beeing more authorative, directive and intimidating than Pohlmann's Blofeld.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'll put in a vote for Eric Pohlmann. I didn't realize one person did all that voice work for Dr. No, certainly very impressive, but I'm a simple man and when I see Blofeld, I vote Blofeld.
    I apologize @j_w_pepper I didn't mean to minimize Nikki and her role in the voicing of all those characters. I was amazed to discover that she did almost all the female voices in DN. I was also torn on whether to nominate her for Domino or Honey. I chose Honey as to me it was a perfect voice for the beauty of Ursula. As someone who is told I have a voice (and face) for radio, I have a soft spot for voice actors.

Maybe one day they will do a documentary on all the voice actors over the years. Many stories to be told.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 8,688
    Thanks, @thedove. No criticism intended. I just feel that she's been unjustly ignored by the EoN crowd who seem to have had a sort of fallout with her that hadn't been repaired until she died last year. Nikki's former website, in which she showed her disappointment for the total neglect of her work and at the least provided interesting insights about the production, seems to have been deleted by her heirs.

I also don't mind Eric (originally: Erich) Pohlmann, who as a Vienna-born actor chose to follow his fiancée, who was Jewish, into British exile in 1939. I have also known him from quite a few German movies and TV of my childhood in the 1960s (I was born earlier, but we didnt have a TV until 1965 - imagine!) and also liked him very much, as far as personal feelings to actors from mere TV viewers go.

Learning that he was the voice of Blofeld after it was finally possible to watch the original versions of the Bond films was another surprise. So I'm not trying to diminish his contribution in any way, though I remember him mostly as a sort of portly, jovial actor with a bald patch and a moustache, but not for his voice.

The same appreciation, of course, goes to Robert Rietti (or Rietty), probably Nikki's male equivalent in having re-voiced (aka dubbed) quite a number of actors in the Bond realm. It should also be noticed that the three I've been discussing here (Nikki van der Zyl, Eric Pohlmann and Robert Rietti/y) were Jewish or connected to a Jewish person and therefore went to Britain and/or the US in the thirties. What a waste of talent that the Fascists and particularly the Nazis created over here! I truly hope we made up for that talent drain in the meantime. Not for this generation (actually, mine and the two since) having to feel guilty about what happened 80 years ago, but in our own interest.
  • Have to go with Eric Pohlmann as Blofeld, mainly because that’s my favorite incarnation of the character.
    peter wrote: »
    All of them?..........

I appreciate your dilemma! This is a category with an embarrassment of riches.

It is a great thing that these voice actors were able to match their on-screen character so well. It is harder than it looks and they did it with considerable aplomb.

I love Pohlmann in FRWL "Let his death be a particularly unpleasant one." Said with disdain but not without OOT emotion.

He appears as an actor in one of the Pink Panther films and has a Syndey Greenstreet vibe to him. No doubt leading to the producers looking for another candidate for the job. One wonders if they had kept Jan Werich if they'd had Eric dub the voice?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I actually think the best voice actor is the one who, with such smoothness, uttered the famous of all James Bond lines:

Cai-Cai-Cairo!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 13,926
    Special mention to Shane Rimmer who voiced agent Hamilton in LALD (and maybe others?).

"Who's uh, funeral is it?"
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm definitely learning a lot this round.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    It's a tie for me between Nikki Van Der Zyl and David De Keyser, both done great jobs in dubbing those foreign actors.

Nikki Van Der Zyl had made a legacy in the Bond franchise, she dubbed many of the Bond Girls in the classic era, she also worked as a dialogue coach with Gert Frobe, whose English was limited, in the title role for Goldfinger.

She's one of the Bond legends along with the several Bond directors, screenwriters (especially Richard Maibaum), and John Barry.

David De Keyser also did a Great job as Marc Ange Draco for Gabrielle Ferzetti, it's really convincing.

But in terms of the one who created a legacy and iconic status, I would give this win to Nikki Van Der Zyl!

Ludovico wrote: »

The nominees are:

I think I agree, although all the others were fantastic as well.

Some were good, some less so, but I find it tragic thar none could match that voice. Losing the voice we lost a bit of the aura of fear. And I think casting Blofeld with both the perfect voice and look is near impossible. Christopher Lee at the time would have worked (he was great as Scaramanga, but would have been greater as Blofeld). Otherwise I honestly don't know.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Judging by her input, it looks like it really should be Nikki - but it's too damn hard to dissociate GF from Collins's dubbing. Nikki's input into all those films was heroic, when you see it broken down. Could others have achieved the same effect? It'd be difficult, but...possibly. Could anyone replace Goldfinger's voice and leave the same lasting impression, though? I think that'd be the bigger ask. So I go Michael Collins. But I feel bad for Nikki in doing so!
    This is a deep and crowded field. I don't know why I didn't think of this category sooner. Glad to have all the added bits of info about the nominees. Great stuff and wonderful talented people lending their voices in a rather thankless task.
    Thanks for the acknowledgment which was really overdue, @thedove. Not from you personally, or us here in general, but from EoN and MGM and whoever controls that franchise now.
    This is a tough one, I agree that all of them could win! But I have to go with David De Keyzer, adore Dracos voice in OHMSS, particularly when he's making his "distinguished members of the press!"
    speech pre the helicopter attack in the climax!
  • Didn’t De Keyser have a small role in Diamonds are Forever as one of those Plastic Surgeons in the pre title sequence?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Michael Collins.
    Didn’t De Keyser have a small role in Diamonds are Forever as one of those Plastic Surgeons in the pre title sequence?

I'm not sure about that. If true it would be a fun easter egg.
  • KOPKOP
    Didn’t De Keyser have a small role in Diamonds are Forever as one of those Plastic Surgeons in the pre title sequence?

c645da87365fdb77-600x338.jpg
  • KOP wrote: »

c645da87365fdb77-600x338.jpg

Thank You! I knew that voice was somehow familiar.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Dang; I've just thought of a nomination for hammiest actor which is too late: the Stealth Boat Captain in TND! "They gave their position 70 miles from here. The British Navy will never find them" - he's awful! :D
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    All fantastic but have to give it to Michael Collins. Remarkable voice acting that if taken away would change Goldfinger's character. Thought about Pohlmann as Blofeld's forboding voice is iconic as well, but the talent required is much less given the villain is faceless and does not need to be in sync.
    The Oscar nominations got my thoughts racing back to this delightful thread and our very own, Bondies (good performances) and Klebbies (the not so good performances).

I will put forward an award and lay out the field and then the esteemed community will vote for their choice. Look back on the first page of the thread if you wish to see all the categories we have tackled in the past. We may re-visit some as No Time to Die wasn't around for some of them and who knows maybe the esteemed academy has changed their opinions.

Lets wrap up the category that was left dangling for a calendar year. Best dubbed voice over artist in a lead role.

The Bondie goes to Eric Pohlmann for the dubbing of Blofeld.

Voting shows the following:
    • Michael Collins as Goldfinger 3 votes
    • David De Keyzer as Marc Ange Draco with 2 votes
    • Nikki Van Der Zyl as Honey Ryder with 2 votes
    • Robert Reitty as Tiger Tanaka with 0 votes
    • Eric Pohlmann as Blofeld with 4 votes

Since we have awarded a Bondie, lets move back to the Klebbie side of things and give an award to something that needs a good kick in the shins!

The category is Worst Acting by an Extra or Un-Credited Role and the nominees are:
    • Broom man doesn't broom QOS...this poor chap was lousy at the one thing he was supposed to do. Sweep! His broom never hitting the ground and sticking out like a sore thumb, or is that a dusty pile of failed action?
    • Taxi driver freaks at the Eiffel Tower AVTAK...this chap decided to go balls to the wall by acting way over the top as his beloved taxi gets taken from him by Bond. The dude manages to get two close up shots as he yells in his French accent
    • Bug eyed dancer at Pussfellers DN as the crowd is dancing so to is this chap. Eyes bulging, cheeks shaking and looking like he wants the attention. Pussfeller scans by him and seems non-plussed by it all, perhaps he was a regular?
    • Boy in boat TMWTGG a child actor in the Bond series is a rare thing and this little guy is about as annoying as they come. Was he playing it right? Or was he being too cute for the part? Not sure but his acting sure is hammy for the short screen time he received.
    • US General gets pick pocketed OP this General looks astonished when Magda picks his pocket. "Well I'll be! Son of a gun" Holding up the wallet to his buddy a few row back this seems to be a bit over the top given the magic trick that Magda has pulled off.
    • Stealth Boat Captain overacts in stealth This Stealth Boat Captain is meant to blend in, but yet he delivers his few lines with a sense of over dramatic flair. Not sure if he qualifies but since @mtm mentioned him seemed like a good one to round out the nominations with.

There you have it, which one deserves a kick to the shins for their screen time in a Bond film. Let us know which one is worthy of being singled out for a terrible performance in a small role/extra.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    The Oscar nominations got my thoughts racing back to this delightful thread and our very own, Bondies (good performances) and Klebbies (the not so good performances).

I will put forward an award and lay out the field and then the esteemed community will vote for their choice. Look back on the first page of the thread if you wish to see all the categories we have tackled in the past. We may re-visit some as No Time to Die wasn't around for some of them and who knows maybe the esteemed academy has changed their opinions.

Lets wrap up the category that was left dangling for a calendar year. Best dubbed voice over artist in a lead role.

The Bondie goes to Eric Pohlmann for the dubbing of Blofeld.

Voting shows the following:
    • Michael Collins as Goldfinger 3 votes
    • David De Keyzer as Marc Ange Draco with 2 votes
    • Nikki Van Der Zyl as Honey Ryder with 2 votes
    • Robert Reitty as Tiger Tanaka with 0 votes
    • Eric Pohlmann as Blofeld with 4 votes

Since we have awarded a Bondie, lets move back to the Klebbie side of things and give an award to something that needs a good kick in the shins!

The category is Worst Acting by an Extra or Un-Credited Role and the nominees are:
    • Broom man doesn't broom QOS...this poor chap was lousy at the one thing he was supposed to do. Sweep! His broom never hitting the ground and sticking out like a sore thumb, or is that a dusty pile of failed action?
    • Taxi driver freaks at the Eiffel Tower AVTAK...this chap decided to go balls to the wall by acting way over the top as his beloved taxi gets taken from him by Bond. The dude manages to get two close up shots as he yells in his French accent
    • Bug eyed dancer at Pussfellers DN as the crowd is dancing so to is this chap. Eyes bulging, cheeks shaking and looking like he wants the attention. Pussfeller scans by him and seems non-plussed by it all, perhaps he was a regular?
    • Boy in boat TMWTGG a child actor in the Bond series is a rare thing and this little guy is about as annoying as they come. Was he playing it right? Or was he being too cute for the part? Not sure but his acting sure is hammy for the short screen time he received.
    • US General gets pick pocketed OP this General looks astonished when Magda picks his pocket. "Well I'll be! Son of a gun" Holding up the wallet to his buddy a few row back this seems to be a bit over the top given the magic trick that Magda has pulled off.
    • Stealth Boat Captain overacts in stealth This Stealth Boat Captain is meant to blend in, but yet he delivers his few lines with a sense of over dramatic flair. Not sure if he qualifies but since @mtm mentioned him seemed like a good one to round out the nominations with.

There you have it, which one deserves a kick to the shins for their screen time in a Bond film. Let us know which one is worthy of being singled out for a terrible performance in a small role/extra.

Oy, if I have to choose, I choose Freaking-Out Paris Taxi Driver.

But I'd like to propose a write-in: Military Guard in OP. "And he's wearing a red shirt!"
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Gotta give it to the sweeper!