Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I wonder how Marc Fosters lighter tone would have turned out. Would it have had aesthetic and artistic implications or would the gags simply have been less quick/subtle than in QoS?

I’d have Forster back, give him a decent amount of time to work out the script and edit the film together in post.
  • QoS was to me already quite light hearted in tone, despite dealing with character traumas, moral ambiguity and grotesque villains. Was it the daytime shoots and the dialogue?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 40,465
    I still think an actor like George MacKay is still very much in the mix, and is likely to screen test.

I do hope so. He's one of my top choices when it comes to younger actors more likely to win the role.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    QoS was to me already quite light hearted in tone, despite dealing with character traumas, moral ambiguity and grotesque villains. Was it the daytime shoots and the dialogue?

And all the excellent casual wear perhaps. But yeah, a majority of it is during the day, I wonder how it compares to other Bond films in that way.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I still think an actor like George MacKay is still very much in the mix, and is likely to screen test.

I do hope so. He's one of my top choices when it comes to younger actors more likely to win the role.

Yeah, he's a good actor.

Yeah, he's a good actor.

The few things I've seen him in throughout the last few years, he's demonstrated quite a bit of range. I'd be happy with him getting the role.
    I had to look up George MacKay, and of the recent suggestions, he seems a little too young pretty boy for Bond. Seems to lack the killer's edge. Young is good, as they'd want the next one for a long commitment, but it doesn't look to me like he'd quite age into it.

Yeah, he's a good actor.

The few things I've seen him in throughout the last few years, he's demonstrated quite a bit of range. I'd be happy with him getting the role.

Yeah, He's someone I would like as Bond too.
    I had to look up George MacKay, and of the recent suggestions, he seems a little too young pretty boy for Bond. Seems to lack the killer's edge. Young is good, as they'd want the next one for a long commitment, but it doesn't look to me like he'd quite age into it.

Yeah, but considering the way the Old Dog thing was overdone after SF, I think the world would want a younger Bond next, who would grow older as he does more films.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Younger, yes, like I said, young is good, but Bond still needs an edge which I don't see with this particular actor. In my opinion, of course.
    Even Aidan Turner, who's not really my pick, could portray a younger Bond with a killer's edge. Moreso than this George MacKay, IMO.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,368
    Younger, yes, like I said, young is good, but Bond still needs an edge which I don't see with this particular actor. In my opinion, of course.
    Even Aidan Turner, who's not really my pick, could portray a younger Bond with a killer's edge. Moreso than this George MacKay, IMO.

Oh, that's fair enough. Nothing wrong in you seeing it that way. Even if I think MacKay would do justice to the role.
    And he probably would. That's why ultimately I'm excited to see who's chosen, regardless of who it is. Those in charge certainly know what they're doing, and any actor can surprise us; I think Craig certainly did.
    And he probably would. That's why ultimately I'm excited to see who's chosen, regardless of who it is. Those in charge certainly know what they're doing, and any actor can surprise us; I think Craig certainly did.

Exactly.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder how personal to Bond the next era will be? As much I love the Craig era, I do think there was a heavy handed effort to make the plots personal to Bond and other characters.
    I'd argue the more personal they be become, the less fans enjoyed them. I wonder if EON have considered that?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I would argue Skyfall was a very personal story and it was hugely successful. There is a weird mini-backlash amongst some fans, saying SF is only popular with people who don’t get the character. I consider that a fringe opinion.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder how personal to Bond the next era will be? As much I love the Craig era, I do think there was a heavy handed effort to make the plots personal to Bond and other characters.
    I'd argue the more personal they be become, the less fans enjoyed them. I wonder if EON have considered that?

Didn't GE and TWINE already have personal plots for "Brosbond"?
    I think most Bond movies since AVTAK have had some relevance to Bond's personal life. Felis in LTK, Mrs Carver, there's often a back story.

• edited October 2022 Posts: 2,888

I don't think we'll see Bond's past being intertwined with the plots in the same way it was during the Craig era, but then again it's a pretty bold move having Bond and Blofeld know each other as children in the context of the series. But no doubt there'll be some element of 'the past coming back' in one form or another, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. GE has a villain personally connected to Bond and is generally praised by fans, and I'd argue the Paris Carver subplot of TND worked rather well. Neither does it have to be personal for Bond. SF's whole premise is about M's past coming back to haunt her, and even Safin's involvement in NTTD is more about Madeline.

Also, as harsh as this sounds, I don't think the producers always care what fans think, and they'd likely have problems if they did. Even taking into account the contradictory views of different Bond fans, many of the general views represented on this forum don't equate to what general audiences seem to think on the whole. I mean, most people I know would say SF is one of the best Bond films ever made, and QOS arguably one of the worst. You wouldn't necessarily get that sense reading these forums, and I suspect the producers would want to make another film more in the vein and with the success of SF rather than QOS.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Very good point. It’s really a double edged sword for EON, they can go back to making the tried and tested formula films that carried the series through the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Or delve into the more personal side of the character, that was first explored in the Brosnan era, and further extended during the Craig films.
    I think after five films the personal stuff gets a bit much. After a while it gets far to complex and implausible, and thus the enjoyment level drops.
    Finding a happy medium may be the way to go. Or going down a new path perhaps?
    I'd enjoy something a bit more detached, fun-loving and straightforward this go around. The personal angles are fine but when they dominated virtually all of the Craig era, I'm ready for something different. Bond had a kid, found love, and died, and I guess you can't really top that when it comes to an emotional/personal narrative for the series. Go in a brand new direction or go back to the past with something more mission-oriented and less Bond-centric, if that makes sense. Either way, I'm excited to see what the next era holds.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »

I don't think we'll see Bond's past being intertwined with the plots in the same way it was during the Craig era, but then again it's a pretty bold move having Bond and Blofeld know each other as children in the context of the series. But no doubt there'll be some element of 'the past coming back' in one form or another, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. GE has a villain personally connected to Bond and is generally praised by fans, and I'd argue the Paris Carver subplot of TND worked rather well. Neither does it have to be personal for Bond. SF's whole premise is about M's past coming back to haunt her, and even Safin's involvement in NTTD is more about Madeline.

Also, as harsh as this sounds, I don't think the producers always care what fans think, and they'd likely have problems if they did. Even taking into account the contradictory views of different Bond fans, many of the general views represented on this forum don't equate to what general audiences seem to think on the whole. I mean, most people I know would say SF is one of the best Bond films ever made, and QOS arguably one of the worst. You wouldn't necessarily get that sense reading these forums, and I suspect the producers would want to make another film more in the vein and with the success of SF rather than QOS.

Excellent post, entirely agree. Personally I like it when they give Bond a bit more motivation. And fans have long been projecting things like 'the PTS of DAF is Bond going after Blofeld to get revenge for Tracy' etc. - secretly they want this stuff too :D
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Paul Mescal is getting a lot of good press again...and he's the right age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/movies/paul-mescal-aftersun.html
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    echo wrote: »

I’m afraid I don’t see a hint of Bond in him.

Personal plots have been common not only to the Bond franchise, but to every single action franchise for the last 30 years or so. And Bond became "personal" since at least LTK.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    echo wrote: »

He’s not doing anything for me.
    Looks wise he’s not terrible. But I feel we can do better, with already viable candidates.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just passing on a question from my wife: what about Harry Styles?

There, I asked.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DarthDimi wrote: »

There, I asked.

Lol, I brought him up a couple of years ago, and have said that he is my dark horse

lVOzgAg.jpg

1FAaer6.jpg

3, 2, 1… here come the photos of him in flamboyant outfits. Lol.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    2022.05.19%20Paul%20Mescal%20S1270146%20%20Col.jpg

I could see something in Mescal if he nailed a screen test.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    edited October 2022 Posts: 251

DarthDimi wrote: »

There, I asked.

He has been mentioned recently. And less recently too. There is a lot of repetition in this thread... Naturally though, considering how long it has been running.
    It's a no though,realistically .. please stop mentioning him everyone...