'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Ah, ok. I'll probably read up on those stories.

Did I miss something? I don't get why The Master did what he did.
    Couldn't he have done it as himself?

That wasn't explained, was it?

Looking at the brief snippet we got of the 2023 special, it looks very intriguing.

It made absolutely no sense to me other than it was the writers way to give us the great moment we got.

Good, it wasn't just me then.
    Ace was awesome not missed a step.

I was worried about Ace in Chibnall's hands, but she was exactly what I would think she would be like today. He wrote Ace perfectly. And Sophie Aldred knocked it out of the park.
    Was that Ian Chesterson?

It was.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,102
    It was him...
    The link works when you refresh the page, I had issues with the link.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That was a pleasant surprise too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Sophie was full of energy
    they should give her her own spin off where she can communicate with her version of the Doctors interface.
    they should give her her own spin off where she can communicate with her version of the Doctors interface.

I was thinking of an Ace & Tegan spinoff, but your idea would be much better.
    I thought The Master wearing the question mark jumper and him referring to Ace's 'Machiavellian Maestro', would be the only references to the McCoy Doctor, but then THAT happened in the volcano.

I was thinking of an Ace & Tegan spinoff, but your idea would be much better.
    I thought The Master wearing the question mark jumper and him referring to Ace's 'Machiavellian Maestro', would be the only references to the McCoy Doctor, but then THAT happened in the volcano.
    I had no idea going in of the special appearances I did not even consider it, I was hoping Tom Baker and Chris Eccleston would appear. Sophie and Silvester was the highlight of the episode. The writers totally forgot how Tegan left the Doctor so her reaction was nonsensical.

Just read the 60th anniversary will be 3 episodes.
    I thought the same. As far as The Doctor would know, Tegan left of her own accord. She wouldn't know that Tegan changed her mind and ran back for the Tardis, only to miss it. Also, is it not cannon that Tegan and Nyssa are supposed to be an item?
    I thought the same. As far as The Doctor would know, Tegan left of her own accord. She wouldn't know that Tegan changed her mind and ran back for the Tardis, only to miss it. Also, is it not cannon that Tegan and Nyssa are supposed to be an item?

Is that in Big Finish?

Is that in Big Finish?

I'm not sure, it could be. I just remember hearing about it somewhere.
    Just watched the end again
    It must be a first Jodie's Doctor clothes regenerating also it did look cool, thank god David was not wearing her clothes. Such a shame it was almost impossible to keep Tenant a secret that would have been a gob smacking reveal.
    It must be a first Jodie's Doctor clothes regenerating also it did look cool, thank god David was not wearing her clothes. Such a shame it was almost impossible to keep Tenant a secret that would have been a gob smacking reveal.
    I think happened in the first regeneration. I wondered if that plays into the degeneration, as earlier, we saw the Master wear her clothes.
    I think happened in the first regeneration. I wondered if that plays into the degeneration, as earlier, we saw the Master wear her clothes.
    Maybe at some point Tenant will degenerate in Eccleston.
    I think it is already taking the limelight away from Gatwa, who should have at least 2023 to himself, to add another past Doctor would surely be adding insult to injury.
    I think it is already taking the limelight away from Gatwa, who should have at least 2023 to himself, to add another past Doctor would surely be adding insult to injury.

Think its a desperate move by the BBC to get fans back.

You are right I totally forgot about the
    clothes
    Oh it's definitely a desperate move. But it is not a long term solution. If fans are only going to come back because of Tennant, they will leave as soon as he is gone again.

There you go, I thought so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I get the impression that part of the reason is that Gatwa wasn't available to shoot when they were making these episodes: I think he was still doing Sex Education and the Barbie movie, so they got Tennant in as a sort of stop gap. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him back, but unfortunately it's over a year away.
    I just heard on a review of the episode that originally Jodie was to regenerate into Tobey Stevens. i am sure I have heard that before.
    About Tegan and Nyssa, it was said here :

Just watched the episode on iTunes (it's very difficult to get the BBC - or any british channel, in fact - in France) and (no spoiler here) :

What a rollercoaster that was ! And I enjoyed the easter eggs as well. And glad to see Ace hasn't lost her edge. If Daleks ever have nightmares, they must have them about baseball bats.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,861
    In a surprise move, future episodes of Doctor Who will be shown on Disney+ outside the UK & Ireland.

p0d9f8ry.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/doctor-who-bbc-and-disney-branded-television

So that's the new logo? It's going retro, then.

75673619234a64500215b756291d2199.jpg
    I am happy to see the back of the previous logo, happy with the Tom Baker one.

Edited: though did that logo first appear with Pertwee.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Diamond logo for the diamond jubilee. Another update of a classic from RTD2. I did love the previous one though, so hopefully we'll get another one for Ncuti proper.

I think the more interesting thing is that Disney+ are distributing it outside the UK and Ireland. As much as I hate the monopolising nature of Disney, it's a very savvy move to increase the show's reach and I think it'll be right at home with all the Marvel and Star Wars content. And having been vocal about the measly queer rep in Loki, increasing it ten-fold just from the back catalogue alone before his era is such a power move.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns It appeared first in the title sequence for Pertwee's last series.

Edit
    Series 11. I thought it was 12.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Diamond logo for the diamond jubilee. Another update of a classic from RTD2. I did love the previous one though, so hopefully we'll get another one for Ncuti proper.

I think the more interesting thing is that Disney+ are distributing it outside the UK and Ireland. As much as I hate the monopolising nature of Disney, it's a very savvy move to increase the show's reach and I think it'll be right at home with all the Marvel and Star Wars content. And having been vocal about the measly queer rep in Loki, increasing it ten-fold just from the back catalogue alone before his era is such a power move.

I believe it's new episodes only to be on D+ rather than the back catalogue, but perhaps that'll change or be different in different countries.
    It's certainly hard to see how it won't make the show bigger and more accessible, as well as making it a bit more prestigious. I'm sure it won't be one of their most high profile titles alongside the Star Wars or Marvel ones or anything like that, but it can't hurt. Hopefully it also shows that it's having a bit of a quality upgrade too.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns It appeared first in the title sequence for Pertwee's last series.

Edit
    Series 11. I thought it was 12.

Cheers its been more than 4 years since i last watched Pertwee's 5 seasons all the way through. I thought they changed Pertwee's logo late on in his run.
    Doctor Who’s Bigger Budget Can Revive Old RTD Story Ideas
    https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-rtd-budget-old-story-ideas/
    On one hand, the increased budget with the involvement of Disney, will be a good thing. But I hope that the show doesn't loose something in the process.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    On one hand, the increased budget with the involvement of Disney, will be a good thing. But I hope that the show doesn't loose something in the process.

It's the one two punch of the Disney involvement and it being produced by a private company for the first time. I'm glad it's getting a decent budget and the potential of millions of eyeballs on it but I hope it doesn't lose its soul either.