Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah the dancing and stuff looked like it was ripped out of an embarrassing Scary Movie spinoff.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The creepiest thing about that, is how M3gan looks like the 4th Olsen sister.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In fairness, my "Terrifying" was only referring to the thumbnail.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,105
    SPIRITED Trailer (2022) Ryan Reynolds, Will Ferrel

I like both actors though this looks over produced, I will opt for rewatching Scrooged with Bill Murray.
    The only modern film we've added to our Christmas rotation is the animated Klaus, brilliant film.

For all of these Christmas Carol knockoffs we go straight to the source; Alistair Sim in 1951.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The only modern film we've added to our Christmas rotation is the animated Klaus, brilliant film.

For all of these Christmas Carol knockoffs we go straight to the source; Alistair Sim in 1951.

Alister Sim was brilliant in A Christmas Carol, one of my early viewing's of the film was the colourised version which they did with some of the Sherlock Holmes films also, I prefer the B/W version.

Scrooge with Albert Finney and Alec Guinness was good, it had an excellent cast and Finney did miserly extremely well.

Alister Sim was brilliant in A Christmas Carol, one of my early viewing's of the film was the colourised version which they did with some of the Sherlock Holmes films also, I prefer the B/W version.

Maybe controversially, but it's one of my favourite movies of all time, Christmas or not (though I only watch it at Christmas). I think about it all the time.

Maybe controversially, but it's one of my favourite movies of all time, Christmas or not (though I only watch it at Christmas). I think about it all the time.

Charles Dickens adaptions of that era in cinema were superb, notably David Leans Great Expectations and Oliver Twist.
    Intriguing. Might have to check them out.
    Intriguing. Might have to check them out.

I studied English Literature at A Level and Degree we covered a lot of Charles Dickens work, I was introduced to a lot of the movie adaptions. The David Lean films are phenomenal though for me he is one of the greatest ever directors.

Charles Dickens adaptions of that era in cinema were superb, notably David Leans Great Expectations and Oliver Twist.

Love David Leans 'Oliver Twist' Great production values, and Alec Guiness's Fagin is more scary than Robert Newtons Sykes. When iit comes to Christmas though, I prefer to watch the musical 'Oliver'
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Love David Leans 'Oliver Twist' Great production values, and Alec Guiness's Fagin is more scary than Robert Newtons Sykes. When iit comes to Christmas though, I prefer to watch the musical 'Oliver'

Alec Guiness does sinister extremely well, Guiness was equally as terrifying as Professor Marcus in The Ladykillers (one of my favorite movies).

Alec Guiness does sinister extremely well, Guiness was equally as terrifying as Professor Marcus in The Ladykillers (one of my favorite movies).

Agreed. Great movie! Hated the remake!

Agreed. Great movie! Hated the remake!

Still not watched the remake though never really felt compelled to, I am a bit hit and miss with the Coen Brothers.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,598
    Most welcomed news, most welcomed indeed!!

First, director John Carpenter will be hosting a series of on-line Kaiju film “watch alongs” on the evenings of November 3rd to November 6th.
    MastersOfMonsters_KeyArt_Godzilla_1200x1557_v8.jpg
    https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/438843/john-carpenter-to-host-kaiju-film-event-masters-of-monsters/

The schedule is as follows:
    Gojira (1954), November 3rd at 6 PM and 8 PM PT
    The film that started it all.

Rodan (1956), November 4th at 6 PM and 8 PM PT
    Toho’s first color film introduces the flying monster that would become one of Godzilla’s longest running rivals and (sometimes) friends. This film, however, just features Rodan (but there are two of them!!).

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964), November 5th at 6 PM and 8 PM PT.
    A personal favorite of mine, this film introduces the chief rival to Godzilla for the next forty years or so -- continuing with the 2019 American adaption GODZILLA: KING of the MONSTERS – in the form of the space monster Ghidorah. Plus, it features Akiko Wakabayashi who would go on to play agent Aki in YOLT a few years later.

The War of the Gargantuas (1966), November 6th at 6 PM and 8 PM PT
    Two giant Frankenstein type monsters, one good, one evil, battle it out. IIRC, according to various reports, this was suit actor Haruo Nakajima favorite film, as the construction of the monster suit actually allowed him to use his eyes to express emotion.

Check the above link for the available viewing/streaming options.

Lastly, Fathom Events will be screening – for one night only November 3rd – 2003’s GODZILLA against MECHAGODZILLA – a film that was part of the third series of “G” films from 1999 to 2004. This is the first time this film has ever been screened in the US (although its’ been available on DVD for many years).

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Godzilla-Against-Mechagodzilla

godzilla-against-mechagodzilla-feature-image.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=750&h=&dpr=1.5

Note: This screening will be in Japanese with English subtitles and be shown along with a never-before-seen featurette as well as an exclusive message for the fans from Toho.

I'm assuming that all of this is in conjunction with the annual GODZILLA DAY celebrations.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2022 Posts: 4,416

Wow what she look and sound very much on Morgan from The Good Doctor:

maxresdefault.jpg

0263444.jpg

qv7yw7zlqqv81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=8308c91a68354f8ea7fa3d82ed36d1da8e928baf
    @Dwayne, any random installments from the franchise you'd recommend? I find myself watching one (usually out of order) every now and then, and usually I'm not terribly blown away but occasionally I find a gem in the pile.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Dwayne, any random installments from the franchise you'd recommend? I find myself watching one (usually out of order) every now and then, and usually I'm not terribly blown away but occasionally I find a gem in the pile.

@Creasy47 With 29 films (not counting the US “Monster verse” or animated features) spread across four distinct eras, recommending a suitable list of Godzilla films is really hard. Like Bond, some of the films are serious (relatively speaking of course), while some are completely bonkers. There are films where Godzilla plays the villain, and some films were it (or he) plays the hero. It all depends on what your individual likes and dislikes are.

I posted this back in January of this year (which may help),

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1254636#Comment_1254636

as well as my individual reviews / impressions for

Gojira (1954): https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1234059#Comment_1234059

Invasion of Astro Monster (1965): https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1281798#Comment_1281798

Shin Godzilla (2016): https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1181714#Comment_1181714

In addition, YouTuber “UpFromTheDepths” has posted short reviews of each of the films: https://www.youtube.com/c/UpFromTheDepths88

Hope this helps.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 40,372
    Thanks a ton for that in-depth look, @Dwayne! I'll have to go off that in the future then. I appreciate it.

EDIT: Akiva Schaffer set to direct the Naked Gun reboot with Liam Neeson in talks to star:

https://deadline.com/2022/10/naked-gun-paramount-liam-neeson-lonely-islands-akiva-schaffer-1235144065/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/fraser-talks-potential-the-mummy-return/
    Fraser Talks Potential “The Mummy” Return
    By Garth Franklin

We’re living in the Fraser-naissance right now as actor Brendan Fraser has been travelling to various film festivals to show off Darren Aronofsky’s “The Whale” and scoring standing ovations for his performance in the film wherever he goes.

In terms of popularity, Fraser reached his greatest height with 1999’s “The Mummy” thanks to his role as adventurer Rick O’Connell. The actor returned for its two sequels, the last of which was released in 2008.

In a new interview with Variety, Fraser says he is open to revisiting the franchise saying:

“I don’t know how it would work, but I’d be open to it if someone came up with the right conceit.”

The first film’s director Stephen Sommers also spoke about Fraser’s casting, saying:

“He could throw a punch and take a punch, and he had a great sense of humor. You really like the guy. He never comes across as cocky or arrogant… He was game for anything we threw at him.”

Actualy it will be 9th movie with the vijf Scorpion King movies. I only have seen three Mummy movies and first two Scorpion King.
  • redherringredherring Netherlands
    edited October 2022 Posts: 15
    Hopefully we'll get to see David Fincher's adpatation of the The Killer in 2023. It's being produced by Netflix and they have been generous to him in the past, but Netflix's dwindling subscription numbers and cancellation of costly, ambitious projects is making me nervous. I'm still grieving the loss of Mindhunter.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali is also producing a Netflix series which is very exciting!

M_Balje wrote: »
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/fraser-talks-potential-the-mummy-return/
    Fraser Talks Potential “The Mummy” Return
    By Garth Franklin

We’re living in the Fraser-naissance right now as actor Brendan Fraser has been travelling to various film festivals to show off Darren Aronofsky’s “The Whale” and scoring standing ovations for his performance in the film wherever he goes.

In terms of popularity, Fraser reached his greatest height with 1999’s “The Mummy” thanks to his role as adventurer Rick O’Connell. The actor returned for its two sequels, the last of which was released in 2008.

In a new interview with Variety, Fraser says he is open to revisiting the franchise saying:

“I don’t know how it would work, but I’d be open to it if someone came up with the right conceit.”

The first film’s director Stephen Sommers also spoke about Fraser’s casting, saying:

“He could throw a punch and take a punch, and he had a great sense of humor. You really like the guy. He never comes across as cocky or arrogant… He was game for anything we threw at him.”

Actualy it will be 9th movie with the vijf Scorpion King movies. I only have seen three Mummy movies and first two Scorpion King.

The first two films were great I rewatched them both recently, if they do make another I would want Stephen Sommers to return to the directors chair.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Avatar 2 going to be 190 minutes and PG13 (Dutch rating: 12).

https://www.darkhorizons.com/avatar-sequel-clocks-in-at-190-mins/
    “Avatar” Sequel Clocks In At 190 Mins
    By Garth Franklin

20th Century Studios
    James Cameron’s first “Avatar: The Way of Water” is set to boast a suitably epic runtime.

The first of four planned “Avatar” sequels is reportedly set to clock in at 190 minutes long (three hours and ten minues). Just shy of half an hour longer than the 161 minute original, and just four minutes shorter than Cameron’s own 194 minute long “Titanic”.

It continues a trend for tentpoles this year with the upcoming “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” clocking in at 161 minutes and Damien Chazelle’s “Babylon” coming in nearly the same length as “Avatar” at 188 minutes.

Whilst Disney hasn’t released an official runtime as yet, the length of it came up when the film received its official PG-13 rating and exhibitors started inadvertently listed the running time on their websites.

“Avatar: The Way of Water opens” in North America on December 16th with the film scoring a global rollout that weekend.

Source: THR

That mean that 3D bluray/2D must be 3 disc edition minimal (2 Disc 3D Bluray + 2D Bluray), better be 4 disc (2 Disc 3D Bluray + 2D Bluray + Bonus BD) include bonusmaterial (See Titanic or The Hobbit movies) and again with 3D slipcover. At 3D on one disc in DTS-HD MA 7.1 is almoost impossible. First movie was only 1 disc with both versions and high bitrate DTS-HD MA 5.1 and second disc was a dvd and no extra's, but that was Paramount/Fox and second movie is Fox/Disney.

For 4K users in NL and flemish part in Belgium i hope there make exeption for this movie and 2 (3) disc 4K release (4K BD/Extra's + 2D Bluray or 4K BD + 2D Bluray + Bonus BD) will have Dutch subs this time on 4K disc too. Better not be exeption and do this for every movie now and use 2023 also to say goodby to use of Dutch, Belgium, French flag (and by prefer French rating text too) on front cover, so 12 logo only please!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,105
    That's a long run time, as much as I liked the first act of Avatar I found the second act a bit of a drag. It's unlikely I will go to the cinema to watch Avatar 2, unless the reviews are amazing.

I did watch Titanic at the cinema I remember that being very long well it seemed long at the time.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,105
    The Eternal Daughter Trailer #1 (2022)

Looks very well shot, I like a good ghost story.
    Nearly half an hour longer than the first one. I wonder if that'll cut down on showtimes at all once it hits cinemas, given the length.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill