Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just bought myself a Turtle beach Recon controller specifically to use with my PC, its not a bad device for the price has good extra functionality...
    199276_1.jpg

Awesome! I might look into this... Turtle Beach is a reputable company and I wouldn't mind a controller with mappable back buttons. Free up the thumbs while I'm running about in Elden Ring.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just bought myself a Turtle beach Recon controller specifically to use with my PC, its not a bad device for the price has good extra functionality...
    199276_1.jpg

Awesome! I might look into this... Turtle Beach is a reputable company and I wouldn't mind a controller with mappable back buttons. Free up the thumbs while I'm running about in Elden Ring.

Just been testing it with Dirt5, I like the feel of the controller got a good weight, I think I prefer the weight of the device compared to the Xbox One controllers its lighter. I like the grip on triggers, it has a sound boost/equalizer built in so improves the sound on my HyperX Headphones if I plug in as apposed to using my PC Amp. I have not tried the customizable buttons yet though quickly looked at a few YouTube videos seems easy enough to set up on the device itself. I opted for a two year extended warranty in case of any minor damage or wear and tear through use, though I am usually very careful with any of my tech. I tend to like aesthetics once the device is powered it looks pretty cool when lit up.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    dirt-rally-pc-mac-game-steam-cover.jpg?v=1662469663
    Yesterday I bought the first Dirt Rally on PC it is quite a contrast to Dirt4 in that it's considerably more difficult, none the less enjoying the game so far though I never truly feel I am in control of the car which adds to the challenge.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Forza Motorsport 7 is a great game.
    Forza Motorsport 7 is a great game.

Not played 7 though I own 5 and have recently downloaded 6 on Game Pass. 5 is the only one I have spent time on though some reviews say its one of the weaker games in the series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Forza games are the main reason that I bought an X Box One. Forza might have a lower number of cars than Gran Turismo, but the selection is better with Forza.

Snowrunner
    So the last two maps of Michigan don't have Garages or Petrol Stations? That makes the maps more challenging, but not impossible.
    red-faction-guerilla-re-mars-tered-review.jpg

x360_prey-110214.jpg

Just bought these two games in the sale, not played either before though i am a fan of the Red Faction series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

x360_prey-110214.jpg

Just bought these two games in the sale, not played either before though i am a fan of the Red Faction series.

Do let me know what you think of Red Faction: Guerrilla: ReMarstered. I have almost pulled the trigger on it a few times. I loved the original game way back on the PS2.
    Company of Heroes 2 is on Steam right now for $2 so I picked it up; I love RTS games and have never played a WWII version. It's not bad but one of things I love about RTS games is the base building, which there is seemingly none of in this game; just squad commanding and victory point taking. I think the Warhammer Dawn of War games were like this too.
    Either way, hard to feel buyer's remorse over $2. I'm sure I'll revisit it at some point.

Also, Risk: Global Domination is free to play on Steam; I think it could be fun to have a MI6Community Risk tournament!

x360_prey-110214.jpg

Do let me know what you think of Red Faction: Guerrilla: ReMarstered. I have almost pulled the trigger on it a few times. I loved the original game way back on the PS2.

I was a big fan of Red faction 2 I completed it a few times. Guerilla has great reviews it is currently £4.79 on Xbox. As soon as its downloaded I will have a look.
    Company of Heroes 2 is on Steam right now for $2 so I picked it up; I love RTS games and have never played a WWII version. It's not bad but one of things I love about RTS games is the base building, which there is seemingly none of in this game; just squad commanding and victory point taking. I think the Warhammer Dawn of War games were like this too.
    Either way, hard to feel buyer's remorse over $2. I'm sure I'll revisit it at some point.

Also, Risk: Global Domination is free to play on Steam; I think it could be fun to have a MI6Community Risk tournament!

Just had a quick look at Company of Heroes 2 on Steam is it similar to Command and Conquer?
    I don't think they're quite the same, Command and Conquer is more in line I think with the types of RTS I like, with a base building / resource mining component.

It looks like in Company of Heroes you start with just units and capture command points to bring in new units.

Looks like they're similar in other ways though; if you just like combat and moving squads around the map, and dislike base building, you might be into Company of Heroes. There are good mechanics with regards to moving your units into cover, using special abilities like grenades, etc.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I am just about finished with Saints Row IV Re-Elected, then will play Deathloop for a bit until Modern Warfare 2 at the end of the month.

At some point I’d also like to do another play through Super Mario Odyssey, maybe at christmas.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,104
    Red faction Guerrilla Re-MARS-tered looks great, I must be losing my memory as I owned this game way back in 2009 :)) I played this game a lot and is one of the best open world games out there when you enjoy destroying things.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, great selection with both! Red Faction: Guerrilla can be really tough at times but it still has some of the most fun destruction physics I've ever seen in a game, whereas Prey is one of the more underrated games I've ever played. I remember picking it up when it released with my own money, one of the first games I bought myself after my first summer job in high school.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,104
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, great selection with both! Red Faction: Guerrilla can be really tough at times but it still has some of the most fun destruction physics I've ever seen in a game, whereas Prey is one of the more underrated games I've ever played. I remember picking it up when it released with my own money, one of the first games I bought myself after my first summer job in high school.

Just playing Prey now, very creepy game I was not expecting to be abducted when I initially started playing. I think I can guess what the aliens are doing with the humans already looking at that stuff in the tubes X_X

Just playing Prey now, very creepy game I was not expecting to be abducted when I initially started playing. I think I can guess what the aliens are doing with the humans already looking at that stuff in the tubes X_X

Yeah that opening is unexpected and very chaotic. I love it.
    It's not what I have last played, but I have had a copy of Bloodborne for 3 to 4 years, something like that. I have never got around to it, I would buy newer games, and move them out in front. I recently stumbled across the This Is How You Don't Play, of DSP playing failing Bloodborne, and getting owned time and time again. Once I stopped laughing, I remembered that I have Bloodborne in my collection. The Gothic aesthetic appeals to me, but the difficulty intimidates me. I'm going to have to dig it out, and finally give it a try at some point.
    It's not what I have last played, but I have had a copy of Bloodborne for 3 to 4 years, something like that. I have never got around to it, I would buy newer games, and move them out in front. I recently stumbled across the This Is How You Don't Play, of DSP playing failing Bloodborne, and getting owned time and time again. Once I stopped laughing, I remembered that I have Bloodborne in my collection. The Gothic aesthetic appeals to me, but the difficulty intimidates me. I'm going to have to dig it out, and finally give it a try at some point.

It took me several attempts over a period of several years to finally start it fresh, anew, and stick with it. I ended up getting the Platinum/100% completion and absolutely loved my journey throughout. One of the finest Souls-type games I've played yet - and yes, the aesthetic and atmosphere are some of the best elements of the game. It's breathtaking. I actually missed those hauntingly detailed interiors and foggy streets throughout my playthrough of Elden Ring.

Don't let the difficulty intimidate you, especially as you start because that opening area is meant to be ridiculously challenging. Once you get a feel for the combat and make it past the first couple of bosses, you're set.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I might have to jump into Bloodborne / other Fromsoft games at some point too. I do wish the Elden Ring world was slightly more lived-in; becoming Elden Lord feels a little less gratifying when there are only like 8 people in the world. Is Bloodborne the one with the Old Hunters DLC? Or is that a Dark Souls?
    I might have to jump into Bloodborne / other Fromsoft games at some point too. I do wish the Elden Ring world was slightly more lived-in; becoming Elden Lord feels a little less gratifying when there are only like 8 people in the world. Is Bloodborne the one with the Old Hunters DLC? Or is that a Dark Souls?

I agree. And while the open world was a risky yet still rewarding endeavor, I do feel like you cover a lot of vast expanses of little to see, which gets old, especially when you consider how many easter eggs and hidden bits still lurk within. Open worlds can be tricky when there's not much extraneous-yet-fun content available.

And yes, The Old Hunters DLC is from Bloodborne.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518

I agree. And while the open world was a risky yet still rewarding endeavor, I do feel like you cover a lot of vast expanses of little to see, which gets old, especially when you consider how many easter eggs and hidden bits still lurk within. Open worlds can be tricky when there's not much extraneous-yet-fun content available.

And yes, The Old Hunters DLC is from Bloodborne.

Totally. It really leans on the atmosphere when exploring rather than the specific things to do I think; luckily the atmosphere and environments are drop dead gorgeous.

One thing that's kind of cool I think is if you start at the southern tip of the world and look at the Erdtree, you can walk straight to it without a single loading screen (by way of Ruin Strewn Precipice, rather than Dectus Elevator) indicating that even when really far away it is a real object in the game rather than a background image that's rendered up when you get close to it.

Maybe just me, but I think that's awesome.
    @NickTwentyTwo, totally agreed. I loved the sense of scale the world provided, how all the various erdtrees would get more and more monstrously large the closer you approached. They worked both as beautiful waypoints but also as sort of markers as to how my progress in the physical world was going. I loved that.

It took me several attempts over a period of several years to finally start it fresh, anew, and stick with it. I ended up getting the Platinum/100% completion and absolutely loved my journey throughout. One of the finest Souls-type games I've played yet - and yes, the aesthetic and atmosphere are some of the best elements of the game. It's breathtaking. I actually missed those hauntingly detailed interiors and foggy streets throughout my playthrough of Elden Ring.

Don't let the difficulty intimidate you, especially as you start because that opening area is meant to be ridiculously challenging. Once you get a feel for the combat and make it past the first couple of bosses, you're set.

So there's an initial difficulty at the beginning, which then levels out?

I am currently flipping between Fallout 4 and Generation Zero, I am tracking my playthrough of both games for my channel. Whichever one I finish first, it will be replaced by Bloodborne.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 40,372

I am currently flipping between Fallout 4 and Generation Zero, I am tracking my playthrough of both games for my channel. Whichever one I finish first, it will be replaced by Bloodborne.

Yeah, that's the big early going tip I got from most veterans when I began - the beginning is purposefully on the level of end game stuff, albeit in a fresh way and with weak gear because you really aren't prepared (which is funny, because that section is what put me off - and countless other players - initially). I would've stuck with it back in 2016 or so had I known that but I thought if this is this hard now, it's going to get even worse. Not the case. Once you're past that first hour or two, you'll know what to expect and have a perfect feel for how punishing the game will be.

And another good tip I'd share: go with the Hunter Axe in the beginning and never let it go. I exclusively used it throughout my entire runthrough, DLC included, never once switching it out.

As for Fallout 4, it was incredibly broken when I played it at launch and I'd bet money it still is, but having said that, I had a blast with it. There's a stupid amount of content and things to explore in it. It was one of the rare Bethesda titles I enjoyed playing in third person, only to quickly realize that the third person aiming was entirely off and I was constantly missing shots as a result. Returned to the game several years later to get 100% trophy completion, and sure enough, still a mess.

Yeah, that's the big early going tip I got from most veterans when I began - the beginning is purposefully on the level of end game stuff, albeit in a fresh way and with weak gear because you really aren't prepared (which is funny, because that section is what put me off - and countless other players - initially). I would've stuck with it back in 2016 or so had I known that but I thought if this is this hard now, it's going to get even worse. Not the case. Once you're past that first hour or two, you'll know what to expect and have a perfect feel for how punishing the game will be.

As for Fallout 4, it was incredibly broken when I played it at launch and I'd bet money it still is, but having said that, I had a blast with it. There's a stupid amount of content and things to explore in it.

The first time I tried Fallout 4, it was all fine up until the Brotherhood Of Steel. At some point, I had to speak to an NPC, that just happened to be locked behind a blast door, with no way to get to them. This playthough, I haven't had any issues yet, though I haven't reached the part where the game blocked me from proceeding in that first attempt.

As for Fallout 4, it was incredibly broken when I played it at launch and I'd bet money it still is, but having said that, I had a blast with it. There's a stupid amount of content and things to explore in it.

The first time I tried Fallout 4, it was all fine up until the Brotherhood Of Steel. At some point, I had to speak to an NPC, that just happened to be locked behind a blast door, with no way to get to them. This playthough, I haven't had any issues yet, though I haven't reached the part where the game blocked me from proceeding in that first attempt.

You know what? I think I had the EXACT same bug as you. I think I ended up having to go way, way, way back in some super old saves just to complete that and get those trophies. It was a real pain and soured my overall enjoyment near the end of the game.

You know what? I think I had the EXACT same bug as you. I think I ended up having to go way, way, way back in some super old saves just to complete that and get those trophies. It was a real pain and soured my overall enjoyment near the end of the game.

If it happens this time, i'll stop my playthough there and then. I can't reload saves, because I have uploaded my playthrough in segments, so I would have to delete those videos, which I am not going to.

If it happens this time, i'll stop my playthough there and then. I can't reload saves, because I have uploaded my playthrough in segments, so I would have to delete those videos, which I am not going to.

I don't blame you there. No sense in messing up your routine and plans because the game is still broken nearly seven years on.

I don't blame you there. No sense in messing up your routine and plans because the game is still broken nearly seven years on.

It's a Bethesda game. It shouldn't be this way, but I am expecting to be screwed over again at some point.

todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

Yeah, Todd, make another quip about the reputation your company has, as if it were just a meme.