"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

This is great.

• I watched “Now You See Him” over the weekend! Great episode, definitely in my top 3. The other 2 would be “How to Dial a Murder” and “A Friend in Deed”. But I gotta say that Jack Cassidy’s the Great Santini/Stefan Mueller might just be the greatest Columbo villain of them all! Cassidy is great in all 3 of his appearances but I think this one was his masterpiece performance! The other great guest performance that I can think of that might match this one would be Donald Pleasence as Adrian Carsini, whose character is a completely different kind of adversary for Columbo. A much more sympathetic kind. But Cassidy’s Santini is just the quintessential smug and ruthless type that made this show so great!
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    It's interesting how I've just seen this thread on the forums, realizing it exists since 2014 and I've only heard about Columbo just now. Last month I've saw a recommended piece of video from one of the episodes and I've felt in love with the series mood. It's an absolute piece of art.

What I liked the most was to see a few personalities that featured in Bond films. Amazing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Columbo on drugs:

Hilarious! Favorite bits:
    -Dale Kingston "exercising" with the box.
    -"Sorry, you can't go in there." (walks backwards)
    -"Get started with the fingering."
    -"Anyone who crimiminally causes..."
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,887
    Browsing online I saw this at Bright Lights Film Journal:

Book Review: Shooting Columbo: The Lives and Deaths of TV’s Rumpled Detective

I figure this might be slightly amusing:

Obviously a parody of this classic Henry Mancini-scored title sequence:

• edited September 2022 Posts: 6,682
    dGRCdJG.png

And as usual, an aged version:

eQ3PGxY.png

Some notes on the poster:

It was a lot of fun to incorporate a number of visual motifs from the episode into the poster, such as the SAFE and DANGER labels from the guillotine collar, the symbols on the Zener cards used for extrasensory perception experiments, and of course, the guillotine itself.

This is the first poster I've made for a Columbo episode belonging to the second era of the show. For the title text, I used the typeface typically seen in this second run of episodes.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 17,728
    That's great work as always, @mattjoes!

I meant to update the thread a while ago with the news that columbophile is bringing out a book of the classic 1968-78 Columbo episodes later on this month:

https://columbophile.com/2022/08/28/columbophile-book-to-be-released-in-september/

https://columbophile.com/2022/09/03/columbophile-book-publication-update/
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I meant to update the thread a while ago with the news that columbophile is bringing out a book of the classic 1968-78 Columbo episodes later on this month:

https://columbophile.com/2022/08/28/columbophile-book-to-be-released-in-september/

Thank you, @Dragonpol. I can see this Columbo poster hobby becoming a lifelong project. One poster for each episode.

I've edited my above post to add some notes on the poster.

I had read about the Columbophile book myself. Great to see that the blog has gained enough traction for that, not to mention it's great to have a place that brings Columbo fans together.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Thank you, @Dragonpol. I can see this Columbo poster hobby becoming a lifelong project. One poster for each episode.

I've edited my above post to add some notes on the poster.

I had read about the Columbophile book myself. Great to see that the blog has gained enough traction for that, not to mention it's great to have a place that brings Columbo fans together.

My pleasure, @mattjoes. I'm glad to hear that you plan to do more. They are always excellent. I love the little motifs you've taken from the episode. In Columbo Goes to the Guillotine, Anthony Andrews gives a great performance as fraudulent psychic medium Elliott Blake and it is a nice example of the classic locked room mystery in Columbo, one of the few in the series (Forgotten Lady would be another example). I always think that the ending is a bit hard to swallow with Columbo taking a monumental risk that Blake would act in a certain way.

Yes, it's great news that Columbophile has this book coming out so all his reviews of the classic Columbo episodes are available in one place now in book form. I've read there will be some added extras as well as some great villain caricatures for each episode. Will definitely be picking up a copy come the publication date of 20 September.
    My pleasure, @mattjoes. I'm glad to hear that you plan to do more. They are always excellent. I love the little motifs you've taken from the episode. In Columbo Goes to the Guillotine, Anthony Andrews gives a great performance as fraudulent psychic medium Elliott Blake and it is a nice example of the classic locked room mystery in Columbo, one of the few in the series (Forgotten Lady would be another example). I always think that the ending is a bit hard to swallow with Columbo taking a monumental risk that Blake would act in a certain way.
    Yes, over the years I've grown to love Anthony Andrews' performance. I also enjoy how he comes across as more of a nutcase than most Columbo murderers. I'm specifically thinking of the moment where he shows his anger at Max Dyson.

Interesting observation about the locked room mystery, I hadn't thought about that.

I agree about the ending, but I forgive it because I think it would have been so easy to fix-- it's not a structural problem with the whole script, if you know what I mean.

"I have to admit I was very cynical, Mr. Blake. The labels say safe and danger, but the truth is both sides of the collar are safe. I had this special collar made." There, fixed.

Turns out today is Peter Falk's birthday. He would've been 95. This might be a nice tribute-- I think this is probably my favorite of my own Columbo posters.

mrqEjKc.png

1E7POOi.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2022 Posts: 45,489
    @mattjoes , that is a really cool and well composed poster.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Excellent work @mattjoes

I was thinking the episode Double Exposure thematically would make a great poster.
    In celebration of Falk's birthday, I'm going to watch...

...Opening Night, in which he appears for about six seconds! :))

I may watch THE CHEAP DETECTIVE tonight. Great spoof of Bogart films with Falk.
    Excellent work @mattjoes

I was thinking the episode Double Exposure thematically would make a great poster.
    Thanks, fellas. And I agree about Double Exposure, I was thinking about that one too.

ToTheRight wrote: »

I have yet to see that one. I liked Murder by Death well enough, but it didn't really wow me. I have a feeling Cheap Detective might be better.
    Excellent work @mattjoes

Thanks, fellas. And I agree about Double Exposure, I was thinking about that one too.

I have yet to see that one. I liked Murder by Death well enough, but it didn't really wow me. I have a feeling Cheap Detective might be better.

Been ages since I've seen MURDER BY DEATH.
    THE CHEAP DETECTIVE specifically spoofs Bogie. Tons of in jokes. For those that may not know the Bogart films (like most of us on here know the Bonds), many of the jokes may seem vague.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Cheap Detective was pretty good. I had a fun time watching it.
    Excellent work @mattjoes

Been ages since I've seen MURDER BY DEATH.
    THE CHEAP DETECTIVE specifically spoofs Bogie. Tons of in jokes. For those that may not know the Bogart films (like most of us on here know the Bonds), many of the jokes may seem vague.
    I'll keep that in mind. Maybe Murder by Death would also benefit from extensive knowledge on early 20th century detectives. I took Sellers' Asian detective to be a twist on Charlie Chan.

Murdock wrote: »
    The Cheap Detective was pretty good. I had a fun time watching it.
    I thought the trailer was really funny.
    My problem with Murder by Death is that, despite all of its pretenses of being a pastiche of a bunch of famous fictional detectives, it leans so heavily on Falk that the whole thing feels more like a poor Columbo parody than anything else.
    Assuming the film was aiming for laughs, it didn't get many from me. I enjoyed it all the same, but not in a haha way.
    Curiously those are two films that I've yet to see. I know I have a DVD of Murder by Death so watching that would be a start I suppose.
    Curiously those are two films that I've yet to see. I know I have a DVD of Murder by Death so watching that would be a start I suppose.
    What Peter Falk films have you seen?

Here's what I've watched:
    -The Great Race
    -Griffin and Phoenix
    -Murder by Death
    -Happy New Year

What I want to watch:
    -It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (I've already seen his participation in it though)
    -A Woman Under the Influence
    -Mikey and Nicky
    -The Cheap Detective
    -The Brink's Job
    -The Princess Bride
    -Vibes
    -Cookie
    -and maybe The In-Laws
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

-The Great Race
    -Griffin and Phoenix
    -Murder by Death
    -Happy New Year

What I want to watch:
    -It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (I've already seen his participation in it though)
    -Mikey and Nicky
    -The Cheap Detective
    -The Brink's Job
    -The Princess Bride
    -Vibes
    -Cookie
    -and maybe The In-Laws

I can really recommend the Wim Wenders film Der Himmel Uber Berlin from 1987.
  • THE IN-LAWS is far and away Falk’s best film! Comedy classic.

“Serpentine, Shell, serpentine”. Lol. Or when he talks Chinese with James Hong. That scene had me in stitches!!!

-The Great Race
    -Griffin and Phoenix
    -Murder by Death
    -Happy New Year

What I want to watch:
    -Mikey and Nicky
    -The Cheap Detective
    -The Brink's Job
    -The Princess Bride
    -Vibes
    -Cookie
    -and maybe The In-Laws

I can really recommend the Wim Wenders film Der Himmel Uber Berlin from 1987.

I forgot about this one. I also want to watch it.
    The ones I've seen :

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Robin and the 7 Hoods

The Great Race

Anzio

Castle Keep

Murder by Death

The Princess Bride

As for Mrs. Columbo, Kate Mulgrew, the only movie of hers I saw was Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, a movie with a few Bond connections.

-The Great Race
    -Griffin and Phoenix
    -Murder by Death
    -Happy New Year

What I want to watch:
    -Mikey and Nicky
    -The Cheap Detective
    -The Brink's Job
    -The Princess Bride
    -Vibes
    -Cookie
    -and maybe The In-Laws

For someone who's seen every Columbo episode multiple times I've seen very few Peter Falk films. I remember seeing him in a comedy film where he played an old mob boss who was in hospital but that's about it. I also saw him as the preacher in the TV adaptation of Conan Doyle's The Lost World. So only really stuff from later in his career. I'd like to see the films he made with John Cassavetes and Murder Inc. for his Oscar-nominated performance there.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    His role in the Princess Bride was rather small but it does drive the story and he and Fred Savage have good chemistry. You believe they are grandfather and grandson!

Wasn't he also in In Cold Blood with Robert Blake? That was a good film but I may be misremembering him.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 6,682

-The Great Race
    -Griffin and Phoenix
    -Murder by Death
    -Happy New Year

What I want to watch:
    -Mikey and Nicky
    -The Cheap Detective
    -The Brink's Job
    -The Princess Bride
    -Vibes
    -Cookie
    -and maybe The In-Laws

For someone who's seen every Columbo episode multiple times I've seen very few Peter Falk films. I remember seeing him in a comedy film where he played an old mob boss who was in hospital but that's about it. I also saw him as the preacher in the TV adaptation of Conan Doyle's The Lost World. So only really stuff from later in his career. I'd like to see the films he made with John Cassavetes and Murder Inc. for his Oscar-nominated performance there.
    I haven't seen Corky Romano but I'm thinking it's probably that one. I haven't seen The Lost World either but I think Matthew Rhys is in it, which is probably why he was asked to be in Columbo Likes the Nightlife.

thedove wrote: »
    Wasn't he also in In Cold Blood with Robert Blake? That was a good film but I may be misremembering him.
    No, he's not in it. Scott Wilson is in it, maybe you're thinking of him.