Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

SNW. Finally! An homage to the original that has attitude and is fun. McFarland had a better feel for the original series than the actual spinoff writers until SNW. BTW, anyone notice that SM looks a lot like the wheelchair bound Pike in the second part of Menagerie?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    SM?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

A small part of me died when I watched this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

A small part of me died when I watched this.

The only good part about that game is the character models.
    J6gMC4Vh.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    His Short Trek as Mudd is a genuinely fun bit of Trek I recommend to any fan, especially those who love Lower Decks as that was by the same creator.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Watching Star Trek The Motion Picture: The Directors Edition 4K for the first time, wow I am gobsmacked what they have done here, the restoration is up there with some of the best.

I am going to have to watch this new restoration side by side with the other versions of the film.

The shot when the Enterprise has flown over V'Ger... they have altered the end of the fly over by having the Enterprise rotate 180 degree to face V'Ger, that's phenomenal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They also sorted out the terrible matte painting of the saucer section when the crew walk to V'ger, it's much nicer.
    mtm wrote: »
    They also sorted out the terrible matte painting of the saucer section when the crew walk to V'ger, it's much nicer.

Not got to that part yet though saw a glimpse in the trailer.
    Part of battle scene from DS9: Sacrifice of Angels remastered in 4K.

The ship models look stunning,
    Picard Season 3 Teaser Trailer

USS Titan (redesign looks good) in space dock that's more like it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Titan does look great. I hope that they do the TNG justice.
    Looks like that’s the Titan-A. So the one we saw featured in LOWER DECKS with Riker in command has been decomissioned sometime within the 20 years between NEMESIS and PICARD.

I’m curious about how Seven got herself a commission as an officer that eventually lead to command. IIRC, Janeway never actually commissioned her as one on Voyager, and we never learn if Seven was commissioned post-VOY prior to joining the rangers.
    titan3.jpg

Titan.jpg

star-trek-picard-season-3-starbase.jpg?fit=1200%2C+9999&crop=0%2C0%2C100%2C497px&quality=100&ssl=1

I am happy that some effort is actually being made with the ship's in Picard S3, the majority of the ship design's in Kurtzman Trek have been awful (so far so good with SNW). I despise the detached warp nacelle's in STD.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited September 2022 Posts: 554
    I'm unsure how to go about watching the concurrent 24th Century content once DS9 and Voyager start up. Are there any crossovers or references I should keep in mind? I'd also prefer to go straight on to the TNG films once I'm done with the show, but knowing that
    Worf was on DS9 while they were being released and Nemesis was made after that ended
    makes me unsure about that.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 8,000
    Crossovers are pretty minimal. I think the most we ever see between the shows is TNG and DS9, since they take place in the same quadrant and feature characters like Bashir and Quark on TNG, and then DS9 had appearances with Picard, Riker, Q, Duras sisters and more with Lwaxana Troi.

With Voyager, that takes place on the other side of the galaxy so the few crossovers they do are pretty incidental.

Here’s an airdate list of all Trek up to 2009 since the list hasn’t been updated since 2011:

http://startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html?m=1

DS9 kicked off right after TNG’s “Chain of Command” in the middle of season 6. In season 7 there actually is a world building effort between the two shows introducing The Maquis with these episodes: TNG’s “Journey’s End”, DS9’s “The Maquis”, and TNG’s “Preemptive Strike”. They’re basically building up to Voyager because the Maquis plays a key role in the pilot episode.

As for the TNG movies, there’s not much crossover elements besides Easter eggs and references. They were ultimately made with the larger audience in mind. But the few Easter eggs that are there, mostly in FIRST CONTACT, are really fun.
    Crossovers are pretty minimal. I think the most we ever see between the shows is TNG and DS9, since they take place in the same quadrant and feature characters like Bashir and Quark on TNG, and then DS9 had appearances with Picard, Riker, Q, Duras sisters and more with Lwaxana Troi.

With Voyager, that takes place on the other side of the galaxy so the few crossovers they do are pretty incidental.

Here’s an airdate list of all Trek up to 2009 since the list hasn’t been updated since 2011:

http://startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html?m=1

DS9 kicked off right after TNG’s “Chain of Command” in the middle of season 6. In season 7 there actually is a world building effort between the two shows introducing The Maquis with these episodes: TNG’s “Journey’s End”, DS9’s “The Maquis”, and TNG’s “Preemptive Strike”. They’re basically building up to Voyager because the Maquis plays a key role in the pilot episode.

As for the TNG movies, there’s not much crossover elements besides Easter eggs and references. They were ultimately made with the larger audience in mind. But the few Easter eggs that are there, mostly in FIRST CONTACT, are really fun.
    Thank you.
    Good video concerning the best crossovers episodes, but spoiler warning.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

0:29-Mickey Mouse is on board.
    TNG S3 was very consistently good (although it's interesting they frontloaded it with Evolution, probably the most 'OK' episode of all). If they can keep this kind of quality up I'll be very happy.

1. Sarek
    2. The Survivors
    3. Yesterday's Enterprise
    4. Sins of the Father
    5. The Best of Both Worlds Part I

Just finished Devil's Due from S4. Really enjoyed it. S1 felt like TOS, but out of time and lacking the charm that show's cheapness had. In this episode, it works.
    One of my complaints in the first season is how the crew takes a ridiculously long time to figure out what’s happened. Picard is usually left flummoxed until the last five minutes, with Riker saving the day. This gets tedious especially when audiences are way ahead of the crew. I think this is because they didn’t know quite how to write Picard as the heroic figure, so they always leaned onto Riker because he was the closest thing to Kirk.

They eventually fix that, and one of the most glowing examples for me is “The Survivors” because it’s during the middle of the episode that Picard already suspects or has figured out what’s happening and acts on it.
    Just finished Devil's Due from S4. Really enjoyed it. S1 felt like TOS, but out of time and lacking the charm that show's cheapness had. In this episode, it works.

Funny thing, “Devil’s Due” was originally an abandoned ship for what would have been the sequel series to TOS. All they did was swap a few things like have Data replace the role of the Enterprise computer. The Devil was originally supposed to be male, so they weren’t really going for the flirtatious vixen on Kirk surprisingly.
    One of my complaints in the first season is how the crew takes a ridiculously long time to figure out what’s happened. Picard is usually left flummoxed until the last five minutes, with Riker saving the day. This gets tedious especially when audiences are way ahead of the crew. I think this is because they didn’t know quite how to write Picard as the heroic figure, so they always leaned onto Riker because he was the closest thing to Kirk.

They eventually fix that, and one of the most glowing examples for me is “The Survivors” because it’s during the middle of the episode that Picard already suspects or has figured out what’s happening and acts on it.
    I wonder if Rodenberry and the rest of the old guard were writing more in the style of what they planned for Phase II, with the older Kirk/Picard being slightly less the protagonist with the dashing young Decker/Riker (who of course would've replaced Shatner fully if he became uncooperative). They didn't even change the first name between those two.
    I think they did use that as a springboard. Picard would be the wiser philosopher and Riker would be the man of action. And there was that idea of Riker taking over after S3 if Stewart decided to bow out.

But the writers of the first season weren’t happy with how the show was turning out either. Roddenberry kept rewriting everyone’s scripts while drunk, sometimes up to hours before shooting began. It was truly chaos. By the end of first season the old guard had completely left the show.
    I'm getting a little sick of 'evil entity turns the crew into assholes' episodes. At least there could be variety with the god like beings.
    There is one scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture that is one of the greatest moments in cinematic history in 4K it enhances its greatness.

Star Trek The Motion Picture in 4K is God mode, this film is amazing. I love Wrath of Khan though this film is better.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is great art.

Masterpiece of science fiction.
    Way I sum it up is that TMP is a great piece of film production while TWOK is great stripped down storytelling. I’d even put THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY as another example of the latter.

THE FINAL FRONTIER is then a big production let down by Shatner’s directorial decisions behind the scenes.
    There is one scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture that is one of the greatest moments in cinematic history in 4K it enhances its greatness.

Star Trek The Motion Picture in 4K is God mode, this film is amazing. I love Wrath of Khan though this film is better.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is great art.

Masterpiece of science fiction.
    Can't agree, I think TWOK is a much better film. The effects are great, but so much time is devoted to them that it beats the pace to a pulp. The character work is very half baked- Kirk's arc fizzles out, Spock and McCoy being where they are is never explained. Decker is only ever mildly annoyed with Kirk, or mildly snarky when Ilia dies. The cast spend ages just watching a screen. The whole environment is sterile, especially so for a film that claims to be about the human adventure. Khan has better pacing, better character work, better executed thematics. There's a sense of energy TMP doesn't have.

And on a minor note, the uniforms are much better...
    Way I sum it up is that TMP is a great piece of film production while TWOK is great stripped down storytelling. I’d even put THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY as another example of the latter.

THE FINAL FRONTIER is then a big production let down by Shatner’s directorial decisions behind the scenes.
    I think there's a really good movie in Final Frontier that just needed two 9r so more drafts to come out.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've come to really enjoy Star Trek V over the years. I wasn't a fan of it at first but I really enjoy it now. Warts and all.
    Star Trek V is great though it does suffer from the absence of ILM. I was lucky enough to see Star Trek V as well as many other Trek films at the cinema, the opening shot in the desert waste land is fantastic.