Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

GF
    GOLDFINGER
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Man this is close for me because Goldfinger is classic, I love the iconic theme song, it has some bizarre and memorable elements (most notably Easton being painted gold), and well, it is solid. LTK is a very good movie but has a totally different feel: a darker and action-crammed Bond film, with a gutsy and believable performance by Dalton, and a better climatic fight/ending. Maybe a toss up for me. OK, I am going with License to Kill... by a tiny fleck of gold, or should I say blood.

I do think LTK is the better movie, even though Goldfinger is a classic (and the most iconic Bond song) and I think Eaton, Sakata, and Connery are all memorable.
    GF - LTK might have better pacing, but GF feels more like classic Bond to me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Licence To Kill would be my pick.
    GF has dropped considerably down my rankings. Yes it's supposedly iconic, and the Bond film that everyone remembers. But it really is a typical Hamilton mess. Bond becomes less leathal, more reliant on gadgets and almost boring.
    The film itself is rather boring and slow. LTK easily wins the round with Daltons performance alone. Add the wonderful villain that Robert Davi provides, some excellent action scenes, and a darker Bond film.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    My counting suggests that:
    License To Kill has 14 votes;
    and
    Goldfinger has 7.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well GF helped define the 1960s, being the film that -more than any other - launched the spy craze and made Bond the ultra cool man of adventure.

I appreciate the general feeling that GF fails to live up to it's reputation, but few of us on here can really hold our hands up and say we understand just what an impact it made in 1964.

And of course Connery simply smolders. He doesn't set himself on fire because he's super cool at the same time.

LTK? I have criticised TD so much for his gurning performance that I just can't think of a new way of saying it. And so many love him on here, including a couple of my very good Mod-friends, that I wouldn't want to say any more. ;-)
    However, whilst TLD is a splendid peice of action cinema, LTK leaves the worst kind of taste in my mouth.

Therefore GF is undoubtedly in my eyes the greater Bond
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    GF defined the cinematic Bond and remains a high class entry almost 50 years on.

LTK has some good points but lacks the flaire and panache GF effortlessly exibits.

Dalton himself would even say GF is the better Bond film.

There is only one winner here Goldfinger

LTK's big downfall? It's not CIN-E-MATIC
    Goldfinger
    Goldfinger for me, it has Connery, John Barry score, shirley bassey tune, iconic images and the DB5. I love LTK too but Goldfinger is in my top 3. IMO only FRWL and OHMSS beats it.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:

And? None of the Bonds are going to say "my films were best, I was much better than that guy"

GF, I love it but it's the definition of overrated.
    BAIN123 wrote:

And? None of the Bonds are going to say "my films were best, I was much better than that guy"

Indeed, I'm sure if the word were looked up in the dictionary, Goldfinger would be the very definition itself, with no further explanation needed!
    Neither will ever reach legendary status for me. I'm always a little disappointed with License to Kill, Dalton or not, but it's a clear winner over Goldfinger
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Goldfinger obviously. LTK is very good too but there's really no comparison.
    This is a tough one. Both are good, very good. But both have problems.

GF holds the distinction of being both a classic and overrated. It set the standard for years to come. Connery is at his near best. But it drags in parts, lacks action, and Bond spends far too much time hanging out in the bad guy's lair as a captive.

My problem with License to Kill is that the story was just too.......small. For a Bond film it just lacked that epic scope. I mean, Bond takes down drug dealers. Big deal. Add a shaggy haired partner and a muscle car and you've got an episode of "Starsky and Hutch".

I love them both. LTK is marginally the better film, but I'm probably more likely to put in GF on any random Bond night. Put another way, LTK is the better film, GF is the better Bond film.

So I guess my vote goes to Goldfinger.
    LTK

I'm not sure why Goldfinger is regarded so highly. It's a great film, but FRWL and TB have always been higher for me. LTK is the best Dalton movie. I prefer TLD, but LTK was very well polished.
    Licence to Kill
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LTK.
    The soundtracks are about the same, but maybe Knight has the upper hand on that. Bad year for Bond girls for both releases. Sanchez whips Frobe in being the best villain. But a total lack of excitement in both and which keeps the interest. I always found the Goldfinger last twenty minutes to be more exciting than it's rival maybe
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The soundtracks are about the same, but maybe Knight has the upper hand on that. Bad year for Bond girls for both releases. Sanchez whips Frobe in being the best villain. But a total lack of excitement in both and which keeps the interest. I always found the Goldfinger last twenty minutes to be more exciting than it's rival maybe

GF only has a raid, and then nothing exciting after, while LTK has an epic trucker chase, explosions, and vehicular parkour!

I never liked the Kenworth truck chase, it is merely Thunderball, but out of water, goes on far too long, and is all rather uninteresting even. A few fancy stunts with the large trucks, a rocket launcher and a lot of dust and that's about it, it is worth staying for the finale when Sanchez gets torched though, seems almost worth the wait

Goldfinger is a disaster, watch it with your eyes closed, it's better that way, but - the ending at Fort Knox IS worthwhile, has some genuine suspense as Bond tries to get to the bomb device and subsequent fight with Sekata. It's the highlight of that years movie for me, so all is not lost
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I enjoy both films, but Goldfinger undoubtably wins for me - my second favorite Bond film and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

*Goes over to the 'controversial Bond opinions' thread*
    I never liked the Kenworth truck chase, it is merely Thunderball, but out of water, goes on far too long, and is all rather uninteresting even. A few fancy stunts with the large trucks, a rocket launcher and a lot of dust and that's about it, it is worth staying for the finale when Sanchez gets torched though, seems almost worth the wait

Goldfinger is a disaster, watch it with your eyes closed, it's better that way, but - the ending at Fort Knox IS worthwhile, has some genuine suspense as Bond tries to get to the bomb device and subsequent fight with Sekata. It's the highlight of that years movie for me, so all is not lost

Yes I agree that the Fort Knox battle is the highlight of the movie, but I wouldn't say it was better than the tanker chase, not at all. Reason being is that the fight with Oddjob is quite slow and is really just Oddjob grabbing Bond and throwing him around; not a real fight involved there, just a good slamming by the bigger man. Now, the fight between Bond and Sanchez isn't terrific either because it is much too short, but everything leading up to that moment, such as Bond taking over the tanker, destroying two tankers, Sanchez killing Truman-Lodge, and Bond outwitting Braun and Perez is a lot more exciting than the Fort Knox finale I think. The latter as I said before is just a bigger man's beating on a smaller man and a few gunshots here and there to remind us that there's a battle going on outside.

No, thats GE.

I will go for GF but LTK is a top ten Bond.

• JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Currently 19-16 in favour of Licence To Kill...I think
    Pretty split then at the minute?!!!
    Goldfinger wins this one easily. I think is one of the worst Bond movies, and for sure the one which feels least Bond, so:
    20. Licence To Kill
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
  • It baffles me how this could be so close. Shocking, positively shocking....etc, etc. Every opinion is valid and varied, which it what makes this site so interesting. It does go to show how differently Bond fans view the films, as opposed to general film fans, though.

Goldfinger by a mile.
    Thanks to @JrW_008 for being such a good score-keeper! It's closing time again for this round, and License to Kill has trumped over Goldfinger by the slim margin of one vote! What a match!

Next round: The Man with the Golden Gun vs. Die Another Day