How would you feel if a black JAMES BOND was cast?

Comments

Whats next, a Swedish Charlie Chan?

Oh wait.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 140
    z

So what's the point of asking the question - and why black?
    GD however does mention that WIll Smith and Jamie Foxx have expressed serious interest in the role, so it's not a question out of thin air. I don't think he intended to cause a stir.

Will Smith and Jamie Foxx being serious about Bond - that is as probable as both of them holding a KKK meeting in the chief wizard's ranch in Texas. Just another couple of actors being media hungry whores again.

Then again Orson Welles, Alec G, Pete Pos (oh i can't spell it) did play black or brown characters and they caused a stir. I think Jamie and Will should white up for the Bond role if they want to be taken seriously.

I was already ticked off they cast a black Felix Leiter! I'd feel the same way if they cast an Asian as Moneypenny or a Spanish guy as Q...

wait old quoting is dead?
    anyway i agree about leiter part but assian moneypenny sounds interesting :)
    if we have black bond would suck a lot
    honestly i heard that angelina jolie was asked to be bond girl and she refused saying that if she is part of 007 movie she will be in it only as a bond
    so how would you feel if female james bond was cast?
    Sorry GD but what a silly thread - you're either gong to out the racists here or thankfully have the status quo agreed upon by everyone - minus the aryan brothers.

So what's the point of asking the question - and why black? why not brown, why not etc? Is black the obvious thing to say to cause a stir; who cares really? Next thing you'll BE telling me is there will be a black AmerIcan president oh ok, let's say a black female catholic lesbian Muslim president.

In fact that should be the new thread title - Should Bond be a black lesbian Muslim woman?
    The point of this thread is to examine such a PC notion and gauge reactions to the idea from true hardcore fans of the character and explore what a stupid notion it really is. The idea was cooked up in the press some time ago.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    It would be the end of James Bond as we know it. It would suck, and I hope it never happens, James Bond is a whitey!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    No. Fleming created Bond as a White British Man. There is no need to change that.
    I agree with the majority on here. A black bond would be the down fall of the franchise. Ian Fleming made the character the way he is, why change it ?
    Every Bond cast in the films have been reinvented but to reinvent him as black, brown, yellow,green or purple would not sit well with the hard core fans out there as well as the majority of people behind the production.
    No, one thousand times infinity.
    I would say no, because it seems to me that the only reason for doing such a thing would be to stir up controversy. Make up a new character if they want- I always considered Robinson from Brosnan's movies to be a 'black version of Bond' anyway.

Honestly, if you want an American Bond, watch the Jason Bourne movies. If you want a black action hero Bond, watch any Will Smith or Denzel Washington action movie .
    Right- and about P Diddy 'expressing interest'? Yeah, I'd love to play him too, but that s*** ain't happening
    I think, what would matter more, is not the fact that the actor is black, white, or whatever, but the intent behind it.
    If a black actor was hired to appease the pc masses, then this would not be a good idea.
    A good actor is a good actor, but they do have to be a convincing representation of the original concept in my opinion.
    I'd probably would be called a racist since I would most certainly ignore the future movies and consider it the worst idea since the Inquisition. Enter Monty Python........... :!!
    Bond is white and British so that's that. Non-British can act British but how does non-white be white?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,699
    One old argument was that Colin Salmon would make a good Bond, and he spoke of it himself soon after Brosnan finished. My argument at the time was that Salmon would be a terrible Bond. Nothing to do with colour, everything to do with charisma. He didn't have what it took to carry a Bond film. Otherwise he would already be a top star.
    The only black actor that's struck me as ever at all 'feeling right' as a potential Bond is Adrian Lester. But then, that's only in terms of personality, charisma and the fact that, well, he can play a well-educated, British smoothie with a glint in his eye. But that's not all it takes. You have to look more or less physically right, otherwise it just won't chime with the audience - hardended fans or otherwise. Classically, that's always meant tall, dark, handsome, physically fit and with an air of authority, insouciance and a lot of cool. The goalposts were somewhat moved in the last decade with the casting of the first fair-haired chap as Bond; but that's not moving the goalposts that far in the great scheme of things. Casting a black actor as Bond wouldn't be so much moving the goalposts as moving the whole shebang to another football stadium.

Maybe, if the cinematic Bond lasts long enough, this may prove to be a generational thing. The next generation may have no problem with an actor who's black being cast as 007. Who knows? But right now, the fanbase and the general audience, I suspect, wouldn't accept it (just as all of us seem not to), so Eon are well aware it's a no-no, meaning it's highly unlikely to happen with the casting of Bond #7...
    Fans of the films may one day accept a black actor for Bond, but I think that fans of the literary Bond, myself included, will never accept anything that isn't true to the spirit of what FLEMING created
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 23,562
    I doubt that people will accept a Bond who looks distinctly different than the Bond we've had for nearly sixty years, both in books and films. It's like having Brosnan voice Darth Vader or Ratner remaking 2001: A Space Odyssey. As a joke, a spoof, anything non-EON-ic, I don't mind. But there's only one Bond and he's as straight as Bill Clinton and as white as William Shatner. And he's naughty.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 49
    as straight as Bill Clinton and as white as William Shatner. And he's naughty.
    haha. Nice comparisons.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Such a take on Bond is simply impossible to make. How would EON be allowed to use 'Ian Fleming's James Bond 007' on a vision of the character that contradicts every aspect of the character is unimaginable. And the heirs of Ian Fleming would simply refuse and veto such a film using the James Bond brand being made.

So not only the hardcore Bond fans and casual fans would not welcome such take on Bond, but EON would see their rights on Bond removed by the Fleming estate, which will find another company that will treat the James Bond name better.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2011 Posts: 4,449
    With black actor it wil look like this

Will Smith already have made Spy movie in 1998. There can have made sequels.
    Denzil Washington get his agent movie with Man On Fire, but because there haven't tryde it yet, dificult to say or he be a good spy agent.
    Eddie Murphy in I Spy. Again i haven't mind to see a sequel.

I see Colin Salmon or Nicolas Cage replacing Ethun Hunt or get there own spy franchise.

Jamie Fox i see more as Bourne releated chacter. This because there haven't tryde it yet too with him.

Of course there are stil things what can be a problem with casting a black actor. A chacter like 006 for example.

If a black actor playing Bond you expect atleast 2 people around him who be black too to make it intresting/work. But Bond Started as a white chacter. Nothing stop them to make a new spy franchise with a black actor.
    if there was a Black Bond actor, he'd be guaranteed to be killed off in the 2nd reel.
    Wouldn't bother me. The way the character has changed post Moore, I really don't think anyone would notice (if you know what I mean). After Connery and Moore all films in the Bond franchise, to me anyway are just films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Wouldn't bother me. The way the character has changed post Moore, I really don't think anyone would notice (if you know what I mean). After Connery and Moore all films in the Bond franchise, to me anyway are just films.
    What a load of nonsense. :/ So I take it you are not a Bond fan ?
    "With black actor it wil look like this" - what is that film? looks all right
    With black actor it wil look like this
    Interesting find @M_Balje! I'm almost convinced it could work...almost. That video is more of a take on Daniel Craig's Bond, rather than James Bond himself--which in itself is Daniel Craig playing a Jason Bourne version of James Bond (which here we have Black Actor playing DC playing Jason Bourne playing Bond! ~X( ). So what your video brings to light is the generic take DC, at times, has on Bond. Having a Black James Bond only reinforces the lowest common denominator genericism of what Bond will become if let to slide too far from the original Fleming conception.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 565
    I think Daniel Craig's blonde hair caused enough of a commotion (not that this ever bothered me; look at Moore)...and you want to consider changing the skin color?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    However, the last time I checked, the films are still about "Ian Fleming's James Bond" - http://screenmusings.org/QuantumOfSolace/pages/QoS_0071.htm - and that character is a white Brit with Scottish and Swedish ancestry.
    The next Bond?

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/sven-goran-eriksson-1.jpg

Actually stick a PPK in his hand and I reckon he might just pull it off. Certainly no worse than Rog in AVTAK.

If we're going black though what about the bloke who plays Johnson in Peep Show. Certainly got the charisma and is British and looks like he might be able to handle himself in a ruck.

So what if Bond was cast black or Asian? I just don't care. Coloured people sometimes have english names. I know I chinese bloke with a Bond surname. I rather be the Black Dirty Harry.
This discussion has been closed.