Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Imagine how often it must have happened to Broccoli or Wilson that some wannabe tries to impress them with his Bondishness at some kind of function.. Must be the absolute worst.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m not recommending Jon Hamm for the role of James Bond; these are two very interesting looks at the casting process. I can very much see it being played out in much the same way as they cast the next 007.

You know, I'm not even going to watch that Jon Hamm video about casting, I'm just going to look at that still and make up my own story.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    :))
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    @JeremyBondon does such a bad job of selling Aidan, I’ll do it for him.

poldark-6-things-1920x1080.jpg
    7bafa6521ef865b4461149c6ef31848f.jpg
    0dfe6161a7ff91827a1c7bedfdc33f6d.png
    efa276cc136f1e0c005158c2d8f8f821.jpg
    tumblr_ptcnst3QBd1vjj8gbo7_1280.png
    original.gif
    5b67debe92082124de4bff75ce481f3e.gif

Careful, old boy ; )

da9255a55591eae890bac44793c4ccf6.gif
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    But yes, it would be funny if an American got the role.

I guess so many American superheroes get played by Brits (even two out of the three Spider Men in the last film were Brits!*) it would be only fair :)

*yes I know Garfield is half American

Yep, Batman, Superman... Wow, even Henry 'Action Man' Cavill can do the American accent. Makes sense I suppose. America's the bigger market so its more likely actors wanting to break in would spend more time trying to emulate that accent than the other way around... that and your Dick Van Dykes etc. have enough star power and likability in the role to get away with dodgy accents.

Anyway, as I've said before I don't think it's unlikely the next Bond will have to put on an accent for the role, even if they're British.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think there should be a thread about the actors people think should not be Bond.

Surely it'd be more or less the same as this thread? Just with slightly more of me whinging about why I don't think Aidan Turner should get the part.

Maybe, except in this thread we talk about who should be Bond and people bring objections to it (or not). The other thread would be more ranting and we could have a good laugh at some of the weird suggestions the media brought up over the years (Robbie Williams, anyone?)

I guess so many American superheroes get played by Brits (even two out of the three Spider Men in the last film were Brits!*) it would be only fair :)

Yep, Batman, Superman... Wow, even Henry 'Action Man' Cavill can do the American accent. Makes sense I suppose. America's the bigger market so its more likely actors wanting to break in would spend more time trying to emulate that accent than the other way around... that and your Dick Van Dykes etc. have enough star power and likability in the role to get away with dodgy accents.

Anyway, as I've said before I don't think it's unlikely the next Bond will have to put on an accent for the role, even if they're British.
    I think there should be a thread about the actors people think should not be Bond.

Surely it'd be more or less the same as this thread? Just with slightly more of me whinging about why I don't think Aidan Turner should get the part.

Maybe, except in this thread we talk about who should be Bond and people bring objections to it (or not). The other thread would be more ranting and we could have a good laugh at some of the weird suggestions the media brought up over the years (Robbie Williams, anyone?)

Wait, Robbie Williams? That would explain this...

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Let's hope the current silence from EON leads to something significant concerning Bond 26 in October.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,522
    I hope so mate

Back in 2005, were there any concrete rumours about Craig's casting, before his mum accidentally leaked it? Or was it all rumours till the announcement?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Can't remember, tbh. I remember him being on some of the shortlists that the tabloids ran with. I also remember going 'What? Nah...'! :))
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I hope so mate

Back in 2005, were there any concrete rumours about Craig's casting, before his mum accidentally leaked it? Or was it all rumours till the announcement?

It was rumoured as far back as April 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4416037.stm

Wait, Robbie Williams? That would explain this...

This explains why some people (his fans) said he should be Bond.
    All I remember is that a board member , who I believe went by the name “Luds” , guaranteed that Clive Owen was going to be announced; he even gave a date . Lol.
    All I remember is that a board member , who I believe went by the name “Luds” , guaranteed that Clive Owen was going to be announced; he even gave a date . Lol.

I remember him!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Luds still pops in from time to time. He was a big advocate for Clive Owen as Bond.
    But that was back on the old KTBEU forum, were you a member back then @talos7 ?
    Benny wrote: »

Luds still pops in from time to time. He was a big advocate for Clive Owen as Bond.

I will say it again, I cannot understand what people saw in Clive Owen that would have made him a potential Bond.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 176

I will say it again, I cannot understand what people saw in Clive Owen that would have made him a potential Bond.

He had dark hair and these pictures from Croupier were posted to message boards constantly:

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2005%2F02%2F1266__cowen_l.jpg&q=60

croupier.jpg

I remember liking Owen at the time, but I also liked Gerard Butler, Jack Davenport, and James Purefoy as well.

That reminds me, I got on archive.org the other day and looked up an old webpage I made back in 2004 when I was basically a kid that listed the James Bond candidates and had a poll. The page itself is pretty embarrassing, but here are the poll results, which are interesting:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041225001917/http://www.votations.com:80/asp/resultsview.asp?pollid=115969&lang=

A shockingly high 956 people had voted on it (this is just a snapshot from December 2004 though). Adrian Paul was winning with 319 votes, with Hugh Jackman coming in 2nd and Clive Owen coming in 3rd. And I completely forgot about Roger Moore's son Geoffrey, who received 11 votes.

He had dark hair and these pictures from Croupier were posted to message boards constantly:

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2005%2F02%2F1266__cowen_l.jpg&q=60

croupier.jpg

I remember liking Owen at the time, but I also liked Gerard Butler, Jack Davenport, and James Purefoy as well.

That reminds me, I got on archive.org the other day and looked up an old webpage I made back in 2004 when I was basically a kid that listed the James Bond candidates and had a poll. The page itself is pretty embarrassing, but here are the poll results, which are interesting:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041101100201/http://www.votations.com/asp/resultsview.asp?pollid=115969&lang=

A surprisingly high 653 people voted on it. Adrian Paul won with 183 votes, with Hugh Jackman coming in 2nd and Clive Owen coming in 3rd. I forgot about Roger Moore's son Geoffrey, who received 7 votes.

Okay I still don't see it. He can wear a tuxedo, so what? So can I. So can Mark Addy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,994
    I never saw Jack Davenport as being right at all, but then he did that little cameo in Kingsman which made me think he might've been able to pull it off after all.
    Purefoy or Jason Isaacs would have been pretty ideal at the time.
    I remember mid-90s Jeremy Northam seemed a good alternative.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited June 2022 Posts: 554
    There's a universe out there where someone else was cast as Bond #6 and we're all laughing about how people thought Daniel Craig, the guy with long blonde hair in indie films, could ever play Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,934
    There's a universe out there where someone else was cast as Bond #6 and we're all laughing about how people thought Daniel Craig, the guy with long blonde hair in indie films, could ever play Bond.
    Indeed. As HarmonyRockets' old poll shows, there was a period in the late 90s and early 00s where Adrian Paul looked like the clear natural successor to Brosnan. Sure, he was already 40 in 2002 but he looked 35 until he was about 60! Screentested twice, down to the last three one time, on Cubby's radar since the late 80s, met with BB for discussions - he's even the godfather of Sir Rog's grandson! Couldn't act beyond tv level, though, so in the alternative universe where Adrian got it the series continued DAD-style and isn't in anything like as good a shape as Craig left it. We got the best deal.
    I remember thinking Clive Owen looked alright. I also thought James Purefoy and Dougray Scott had potential. Had a conversation the other day with someone who still thinks Alex O'Loughlin could be Bond. I actually think he looks more Bondian now at 45 than he did back in 2005.

I'd have taken any of these guys as Bond over pretty much ALL the actors today touted as Craig replacements.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,994
    Venutius wrote: »
    Indeed. As HarmonyRockets' old poll shows, there was a period in the late 90s and early 00s where Adrian Paul looked like the clear natural successor to Brosnan. Sure, he was already 40 in 2002 but he looked 35 until he was about 60! Screentested twice, down to the last three one time, on Cubby's radar since the late 80s, met with BB for discussions - he's even the godfather of Sir Rog's grandson! Couldn't act beyond tv level, though, so in the alternative universe where Adrian got it the series continued DAD-style and isn't in anything like as good a shape as Craig left it. We got the best deal.

I honestly never thought he was ever likely to get near it. He wasn't good enough, as you say, which was the main issue, but also he was a Connery lookalike. I never saw them going for someone who actually looked like Connery.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember thinking Clive Owen looked alright. I also thought James Purefoy and Dougray Scott had potential. Had a conversation the other day with someone who still thinks Alex O'Loughlin could be Bond. I actually think he looks more Bondian now at 45 than he did back in 2005.

I'd have taken any of these guys as Bond over pretty much ALL the actors today touted as Craig replacements.

Yes we do seem to live in a time without strong candidates, which is a pain because it's exactly when we need them :)

No, I don’t think so. What does that stand for?

I thought that I remember his posting about Owen on this board.

As far as Owen, I think he gave off a very strong Bond bib in the series of excellent BMW adverts .

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    KTBEU = Keeping The British End Up. It's what this forum used to be called before the 2011 redesign. There are still a few of us fossils around from those days. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Keeping The British End Up
    It was the forum before we became MI6 Community.

Quite a few of the members are still around.
    In a tux and looks wise in 2005 Owen looked ok. But acting wise….Craig is clearly the better actor.
    I would’ve picked Jackman at the time, but the end result after five films is quite satisfying.
    The next Bond is going to be a hard act to follow, not only amongst fans, but also the press.
    Ah yes, I was a member.

Jackman would have been an outstanding Bond; he would have had had the charm and light touch of Moore combined with the physicality, brutality and intensity of Craig.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Jackman would have been sort of not as interesting as Craig, if that makes sense? But he certainly would have done the job very well and I can't imagine I'd have had any complaints.

No, I don’t think so. What does that stand for?

I thought that I remember his posting about Owen on this board.

As far as Owen, I think he gave off a very strong Bond bib in the series of excellent BMW adverts .

Okay so he can sit behind a wheel and push buttons. I don't see James Bond, I see a pastiche with Clive Owen driving a BMW.
    I was around back in the old KTBEU days, though under a different user name.
    I messed up my password and got locked out for years. I happened to be watching CR when I signed up again. As the torture scene played I was inspired with a better user name.

I particularly remember the forum during 2005 as everyone voiced their opinions on who could be Bond in CR. I also vividly remember discussions in the "other movies" thread on SUPERMAN RETURNS. There were some pretty funny comments regarding that film.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    Henry Cavill

Henry%20Cavill.jpg?ts=1639761828
    auaBJI1.jpg
    Henry-Cavill.jpg
    16392224614865.jpg
    henry-cavill-56743795.jpg
    des14o7-86c853c6-fe28-4b88-af78-3d0af8f9bfef.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2Y0NTJhYTJjLTBjNjQtNGJiZi1iMDY1LTk0MmI4ZGJkYThiYlwvZGVzMTRvNy04NmM4NTNjNi1mZTI4LTRiODgtYWY3OC0zZDBhZjhmOWJmZWYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.duqx5NgN3HXUagZTFeDnmZqFGReaVbRYa-JWDMM7CzE