Harry Palmer returns

14567810»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Nice interview with John Hodge about writing this, and also a brief mention on his experience of getting dropped from No Time To Die:
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/mar/04/the-threat-of-nuclear-annihilation-hasnt-gone-away-the-timely-return-of-the-ipcress-file?ref=quuu

Ratings-wise, Ipcress got 3.50 million, with Peaky Blinders on the other side getting 3.54m. I don't think that's a bad showing at all.
  • After watching the entire series, I can safely say that was actually quite a bit better than I expected.

I also like how it handled Ashley Thomas' character in particular. Almost felt like an active subversion of some modern tv storytelling cliches. Though of course, that could just be me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm still going but I agree with you; I didn't expect it to be quite this good. I certainly hope there's more coming, and I really like Cole's Palmer.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I'm waiting to binge it. I don't mind spoilers, though, so spoil away! :D
    Might any folks know whether it is available yet in the US, legally ? Or - when it will be and who will stream it ? Ew...first time I ever realized the term "stream" is a bit of a piss-poor term, eh ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looks like AMC+ has picked it up, if that means anything to you? (Means nothing to me, being a Britisher! :) )
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like AMC+ has picked it up, if that means anything to you? (Means nothing to me, being a Britisher! :) )

It does. Thanks !
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Since62 wrote: »
    Might any folks know whether it is available yet in the US, legally ? Or - when it will be and who will stream it ? Ew...first time I ever realized the term "stream" is a bit of a piss-poor term, eh ?

I suppose the clues were there all along as "stream" and "piss" are words that are intimately linked with each other. ;)

so when can an American like me see it
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No idea I’m afraid, although I can’t imagine there’s any reason to hold off showing if for very long..?
    Any news about a physical release? I doubt the series will find it's way to TV or a streaming service I have access to anytime soon.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s listed as a DVD, not no BR.
    It’s listed as a DVD, not no BR.

Thanks! Not surprised it's only listed as a DVD. Endeavour, which is also an ITV show, is only released on DVD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s a shame, I think I’d be tempted to get the BR if they did one.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 17,241
    Me too, but I'll settle for a DVD if it means I actually get to see it.

The strange thing about Endeavour, is that you can get US Blu-ray releases of each series. Why ITV haven't made similar releases is beyond me. The US broadcast of each episode is also edited down apparently, but I can't imagine that to be the case for the Blu-ray releases.
  • mtm wrote: »
    It’s a shame, I think I’d be tempted to get the BR if they did one.

Yeah. The colour grading actually looks much nicer and more detailed in HD, than I thought.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I haven't been binging this, but I just watched episode 4 and I thought it was really terrific stuff. It really did feel like reading a spy novel of the time.
  • KOPKOP
    Should probably have been called Harry Palmer Meets --
    the Manchurian Candidate.
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Palmer's return. I miss the "old days" where spy fans used to soak up and embrace everyone from Bond, Solo, Flint, Helm and so many more. Yeah, i know, it's a Boomer thing.
    Watched the final episode the other evening. Think I'll stick with the original movie, far more entertaining!
    They should have included a romantic angle, with some comedy. Try something different since the serious spy story already was told, after all. This one could have been: When Harry Palmer Met Sally...a British version of the "I'll have what she's having" scene would be so discreet, polite and subdued and, therefore, quite funny due to the contrast with the original...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Just watched the first two episodes of The Ipcress File as far as UK TV shows goes its better than average, some of the acting is a bit hokey. For the budget they do a good enough job of recreating the era. At times I feel like I am watching an episode of The Avengers.
    KOP wrote: »
    Should probably have been called Harry Palmer Meets --
    the Manchurian Candidate.

Yes, I thought that as well, with a dash of The Day of the Jackal thrown in too.
    It's coming to AMC in the US on May 19th...two days away...apologies if I am repeating s posted comment...
    Since62 wrote: »
    It's coming to AMC in the US on May 19th...two days away...apologies if I am repeating s posted comment...

It's good to know that US viewers will be able to watch it too.
    Starts tomorrow ! I am quite interested in seeing it on its own terms, as well as with the Michael Caine, et al. film in mind.