Harry Palmer returns

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    I think that sounds good, I hope it is.

Is Ross not in it?

Agreed. Odd about Ross.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I want to like the Palmer casting a lot, but both trailers make me worried Joe Cole plays it too "cool" and understated. There are almost no shots of him talking, and in the shots he does his mouth hardly moves. I think it's a performance that probably plays out over a scene, and these "sexy" trailers are suited to display it. Looks interesting; if I can find it in the US I'll watch it.

Are you saying Joe Cole is really...Joe Cool ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The biggest frustration for me is cinematography. I know it's ITV and they probably didn't give the show a big budget, but you'd think with this adaptation specifically that they'd want to try and do something interesting with it, especially considering how iconic the cinematography of the original film is?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The biggest frustration for me is cinematography. I know it's ITV and they probably didn't give the show a big budget, but you'd think with this adaptation specifically that they'd want to try and do something interesting with it, especially considering how iconic the cinematography of the original film is?

Pretty much every shot is a dutch angle, they're clearly trying something out of the ordinary. It's even mentioned in one of the links AKillToAView shared with us.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Pretty much every shot is a dutch angle, they're clearly trying something out of the ordinary. It's even mentioned in one of the links AKillToAView shared with us.
    I'll be honest, I didn't even notice them. I think its mostly the tone, it just reminds me of those biopic series about how a classic soap was made.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I think the location work looks great but I know what you mean about the actual image not looking glossy- not like something like The Tourist managed to look. But they do seem to have tried something with the camera angles.

The original film is not just about dutch angles but extraordinary compositions as well. Not that this new project has to have those elements.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,952
    Yes I know it wasn’t just Dutch angles in the film, I didn’t say it was. In truth I’ve always found the camerawork in Ipcress rather grating. Give me Funeral just shooting it straight any day.
    "Dutch angles" ? That means things are just, sort of, off ? Sounds like an expression one would expect from the father of Austin Powers, going off on the Dutch again. Portrayed by...heyyyy, wait a minute -- MICHAEL HARRY PALMER HIMSELF CAINE !!!
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 440
    ITV has released an official clip from the series.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    It's gonna take a lot for me to get past the cinematography. It seems like no grading was done. Looks like one of my college projects.
    Good grief. Does the Palmer actor even shave yet ? If so, his entire face or just a few fuzzy bits ? Perhaps just invite a cat to lick it off with milk applied here and there ?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Bizarre thing is, Cole's nearly 10 years older than Michael Caine was when he made the film! Post-war rationing must've taken it's toll on the young Mickelwhite ... ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    Bizarre thing is, Cole's nearly 10 years older than Michael Caine was when he made the film! Post-war rationing must've taken it's toll on the young Mickelwhite ... ;)

And some folks just have a more mature look. Still, I have great difficulty processing that Cole is nearly 10 years older than M Caine in his Palmer debut...whaaaaat ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Venutius wrote: »

Are you kidding? They're almost exactly the same age in their respective Ipcresses.
    Dunno, I was going by the googles where it says that Caine was 32 when he made the film, while Cole will be 41 this year. I don't know much about either of them, so don't know how accurate that is!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Michael Caine born 1933, so 31/32 during filming Ipcress (1965).
    Joe Cole born 1988, so 33/34 during filming.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I suspect that Venutius has googled and found Joe Cole the former Liverpool and England midfielder.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Yeah, that'll be him! :D
    Hey, at least I didn't mix him up with Joe Cole, former Black Flag roadie, born 1961, murdered 1991, eh!
    Although, I'm surprised I didn't mix him up with that Joe Cole, going by that piece of defective googling... :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Quite interesting thing in the opening credits: Harry Saltzman’s son and daughter are exec producers. So presumably ownership of the character is in the family..?
    Well jurys still out on Cole! Just cant get Caine out of my head! And his glasses were wrong choice, too distracting! But I'll stick with it, for now!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,952
    I actually thought Cole was rather excellent: that was a proper lead performance, I feel like a lot of other actors wouldn't have been that strong. He made a very engaging and likeable Palmer, with lots of the recognisable Palmer traits like his insubordination and sense of humour, but delivered in a nicely different way, and he's even got a bit of toughness I wasn't expecting.

Overall I enjoyed that, a bit more than I expected to even. Feels like it could have done with a bit of image grading or a nicer lens to make it look a bit more quality, and the music takes a few dives into being quite bad; but I enjoyed everything else really. All of the performances were good: obviously Tom Hollander is never going to be bad. I like what they've done with Palmer's situation in all this too- making more of the thing that he's working under duress for Dalby and even actively trying to escape. That's actually slightly more interesting than the film, where in retrospect he seems to accept his situation as a spy a bit too readily.
    It won't exactly set the world on fire or anything and isn't anything stunning, but a bit of Cold War spy stuff makes a nice change from regional detectives investigating murders on beaches on ITV on Sunday nights. I thought the period was well-staged too.
  • I'll be interested to see how much of a hit this is given that it's going up against Peaky Blinders and has fairly lacklustre marketing.

I hope it is, because I'd like to see some of the unadapted books get a chance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The general reaction in reviews and on Twitter is very positive; it’s nicely surprising. I’d like to see Harry return already, I agree; the signs at the moment seem positive.
    Bear in mind they seem to have been selling this internationally as well, so if it has sold well a second serial might not even be down to its ratings here.
    Quite interesting thing in the opening credits: Harry Saltzman’s son and daughter are exec producers. So presumably ownership of the character is in the family..?

Could have something to do with the fact that it seems Harry is named after Harry. Actually, I would bet that Harry purchased partial or full rights to the character in perpetuity back in the '60s. Same goes for Matt Helm.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 1,707
    Since62 wrote: »
    Good grief. Does the Palmer actor even shave yet ? If so, his entire face or just a few fuzzy bits ? Perhaps just invite a cat to lick it off with milk applied here and there ?

He's a fine actor and shading his performance with Caine undertones but he just looks too damn young and not world weary enough for my tastes.
    delfloria wrote: »

He's a fine actor and shading his performance with Caine undertones but he just looks to damn young and not world weary enough for my tastes.

That's what struck me. He looks like a kid. That'll be nice for him when he's on in years, but for this...Still, I do look forward to watching it. That "flat" Cold War stuff is a great genre. By "flat" I mean plain, no big action scenes, just the real, tense stuff. If you like it, too, I recommend seeing Benedict Cumberbatch, Rachel Brosnahan, Zeljko Ivanek, Elina
    Alminas et al. in The Courier (2020). Big recommendation. Also - real life story.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I enjoyed this very much - I like the characters and care about them, and the opening with the old-skool ident had me yelping with joy.

Liking Cole's performance, too - yes, he's young, but his army experience has aged him up, made him cynical and given him knowledge of the world.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes the ident was a lot of fun wasn’t it? :)
    delfloria wrote: »

He's a fine actor and shading his performance with Caine undertones but he just looks too damn young and not world weary enough for my tastes.

Palmer is young and cocky in the original films: he’s not world weary.

He does have plenty of street smarts though, and this version does too. I thought the bit where he goaded the officer into punching him so he could hide something under the carpet when he was knocked down is a perfect bit of Palmer. That’s how he operates: he lets people think they’re getting one over on him.