The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Bond makes asses of M and the Minister of Defense by having them wear gas masks.
    Pretty funny scene. I find that sense of humor easy to follow.
    I love Bond's Seiko here. One of my favorite gadgets as he blows the door to escape.
    Bang on time.

I had a cheap Casio that kind of looked like Bond's watch here.
    I should get another one. A beater I could wear to work and not worry about it getting damaged.

That hit the spot. Another fun viewing. Actually the first Bond film I saw as a baby.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 6,816
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Bond makes asses of M and the Minister of Defense by having them wear gas masks.

Unlike Drax! Yes, great scene! Moonraker, for all its faults (and it has many!) is still damn fine entertainment! My younger brother and I watched its T.V. premiere together on ITV (Christmas, if I recall?) And loved it, always have a soft spot for it, despite the daftness!!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Unlike Drax! Yes, great scene! Moonraker, for all its faults (and it has many!) is still damn fine entertainment! My younger brother and I watched its T.V. premiere together on ITV (Christmas, if I recall?) And loved it, always have a soft spot for it, despite the daftness!!

As silly as it is, I love that it sticks with it's chosen tone.
    The few moments of darkness: Corrine's death, the centrifuge scene have all the more impact, IMO.

Michael Lonsdale's performance on that scene is priceless.

He has some of the best lines and line delivery of all the Bond villains, IMO.
    "May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?"
    "At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery."

He has some of the best lines and line delivery of all the Bond villains, IMO.
    "May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?"
    "At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery."

And my favourite...
    "You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season!"
    Brilliant!
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,009
    NSNA: Well, if Douglas Slocombe's photography wasn't Indy-like enough, Pat Roach and Connery fighting it off in Shrublands sure is! And Roach/Lippe surreptitiously celebrating the goal on TV. :) By the way: what kind of weapon is he wealding? It looks like a metallic, spring loaded whip.

On a more artistic level, I said it before and I'll say it again: Sean should have played Bond as he was back in 1983; bald and sporting facial hair. I think his performance would have benefited from it. Still, his performance is better than on YOLT, and looks better than on DAF.

I love Edward Fox as an actor, but his M is pretty stranglable. Same goes for Nigel Small: If I watched Rowan Atkinson on NSNA before knowing him from Blackadder or Mr. Bean, I sure never would have bothered to watch these shows. Luckily, I knew about and admired his TV career way before I ever knew he was Nigel.
    Gavan O'Herlihy, on the other hand… Man, I love to hate that guy: he was the smuggest of them all, be it Superman III, Death Wish 3 or NSNA, where he manages to be at least somewhat pitiable: Jack Petacchi is far from evil, but, alas, drugs are bad. When I read about O'Herlihy's passing several months ago, it really felt like a loss. Great, great character actor.
    One thing that surprised me is the sheer amount of stuntmen that worked on both OP and NSNA: George Leech, Andy "009" Bradford, Nick Hobbs, Ray Alon, Terry Cade, Clive Curtis, Jim Dowdall, Bill Weston, Eddie Powell among others. And some of them with bit parts in both movies.
    I see that infamous British Minister is still at large 12 years even after the utter failure of the Ludovico treatment. He's there with M after recieving Blofeld's ultimatum. Yarbles! That grahzny veck has arranged for a dobby horrorshow sladky retirement, droogies!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Love the chromatic aberration and wobbly text on the NTTD titles. Great little touches.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Watching SP this time, it is obvious that the score just brings me down even more than the script. It’s uncomfortable, most of the time, and offputting.
    It's time for my favorite movie of all time.................

NO TIME TO DIE

Considering this one keeps going up and down in my rankings, let's give it another go, shall we?
    I don't have to work tonight and I have many hours to spare.

Will I agree with Barbara that Daniel Craig is the greatest actor on this planet?

Probably as he's my favorite living actor.
    Actually ALL the living Bond actors are my favorite living actor.

I do love Safin's intro here.
    This is a superb PTS.
    This opening makes me want to watch a horror movie. Maybe a Hammer horror after this?
    Madeleine was a bad ass as a young kid.

Does he really have his heart on the opposite side like Dr No?
    Not really clear. I think so, though.

I still maintain the belief that Rami would make a great Count Dracula.
    Yay! It's my hero, James Bond played by the greatest actor on this planet, Daniel Craig!
    I love that first shot of him. It's his best first shot out of his 5 films, IMO.
    Beautiful colors in this nine hour PTS.
    Finally Bond gets laid. Well, we're only a few minutes into this film, so tradition remains.
    I do find this scene at Vesper's grave moving. I think this little moment is one of the best performances by any actor as Bond.
    In addition, I really like Bond's outfit here.

Great WTF moment.

Amazing explosion.
    Great stunt work as well as James leaps the bridge.
    I forgot how much I like Primo as a henchmen.
    My favorite Craig era henchman, now. Sorry, Hinx.
    Hinx was excellent, too actually.

Although this PTS is about 12 hours long it does seem to fly by.
    Excellent pacing throughout this Bond epic.
    I still only have this on DVD. I should upgrade.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 15,818
    The tension as Bond and Swann are in the DB5 as it's being shot is unsurpassed,
    Madeleine is my new favorite Craig era Bond girl.
    Well......actually it's a tie between her and Camille.
    .................now into my second favorite title sequence of the Craig era.
    Kleinman has outdone himself this time.
    Quite possibly my second favorite title song of the Craig era, too.

I'm so glad he didn't use that LOVE BOAT font during the titles.
    Maurice Binder would be proud.
    I LIKE ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest line in cinema history.

Right after

MR WHITE OF COURSE!!!!

I think the next member here who reads this post should go and get their hair cut like Primo.
    If you do that, I'll get mine cut like Ralph Fiennes in this movie.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 15,818
    Just spent a couple hundred bucks on a vent valve for my car today.
    Price shopped with a couple mechanics, one who said don't waste my money until my inspection is due. An evap code doesn't really cause any harm. He quoted me a lower price. However I went to my other mechanic and paid a little more.
    Why procrastinate? We had to wait 6 years for NTTD and so far 15 for INDY 5.

I bring this up because Bond's vehicle in Jamaica breaks down. Had NTTD come out earlier, perhaps he wouldn't have this trouble?
    I love Bond's moment of contemplating the situation before letting Felix know he's in.
    Even more I love Felix's reaction.
    Now we get to possibly the most popular section of this film, the Paloma scenes.
    Craig's rapport with Ana is amazing. These scene are a delight.
    And we get some Bond theme chords. Wonderful stuff here.
    We also get a wonderful "Shaken not stirred" delivery by Craig in this film.
    I love that he says the line in an understated tone.
    I really like the SPECTRE party sequence.
    The film gets pretty outlandish and over the top from here on.
    It's pretty wild when the SPECTRE agents start dying out.
    I love Jeffrey Wright as Felix.
    ...........and again I leave the room while Felix bites the dust. :(
    This time to go and feed my cats.

Now we get the big BOND IS BACK moment. I love this section as Bond adjourns to MI6.
    Safin hasn't aged much since the 1990's.