Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Venutius wrote: »
    I know they'll probably go younger this time, but there's limits - Harry Styles is 12, man...

He’s 28
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah, there's these things called 'jokes', see, and...ah, never mind. It's difficult for anyone from the UK to see Harry as anything but the young kid out of the boyband. To be fair, though, I haven't seen him act in anything, so I could well be doing him a disservice. What's a good thing to check him out in?
    Yeah, there's these things called 'jokes', see, and...ah, never mind. I

Lol, I’m sure, if you dig real deep, you could manage to be more condescending.; on second thought probably not.

• edited March 2022 Posts: 784
    Paul Mescal vs Dan Stevens

paul-mescal-normal-people-connell-855x570.jpg

The-Gues.jpg

Paul Mescal reminds me a lot of Daniel Craig, handsome but not traditionally, and possesses very distinctive masculine features. I think he stands a very good chance if Barbara has a type.

Yeah, there's these things called 'jokes', see, and...ah, never mind. It's difficult for anyone from the UK to see Harry as anything but the young kid out of the boyband. To be fair, though, I haven't seen him act in anything, so I could well be doing him a disservice. What's a good thing to check him out in?

To answer your question: Dunkirk. Very little dialogue in the entire film, and likewise for him. He played a very young guy, which makes sense, of course.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 7,961
    The film that will be a good gauge of his acting is the up coming “ Don't Worry Darling”, a 1950s era noir.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/12/02/harry-styles-behind-the-scenes-dont-worry-darling-set-florence-pugh-13687935/amp/
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Cheers, talos, I'll check them out.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 14,816
    I'm not sure I find these dilemmas really useful. What's next, Robbie Coltrane versus Mark Addy for Bond? (On a side note Mark Addy as a villain would be great, as long as he has a beard or something else to harden his face.)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I will say the only move that would be on par with race-bending the character would be signing a big star like Harry Styles. Something to consider! I feel like he's worth a screen test.
    They've used actors from prior films for a different character in a subsequent film before: Eg. Charles Gray - who appeared in YOLT as a Bond ally, and in the same film another actor (Donald Pleasance) portrayed Blofeld, and who then appeared two films later (in Connery's next after taking one off) in DAF as Blofeld ! and Joe Don Baker - who appeared in TLD as a villain and then, just two films later with a different Bond actor, as a "good guy" in GE. However, I doubt we would see an actor who played a part in a Bond film return as Bond. Therefore, Robbie Coltrane, who appeared as Zukovsky in GE and then, 2 films later, with the same Brosnan Bond, as the same Zukovsky character, in TWINE, is not likely, per past practice, to return to the series and this time as Bond....by the way - is that "2 films later" a thing, or what ?
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm not sure I find these dilemmas really useful. What's next, Robbie Coltrane versus Mark Addy for Bond? (On a side note Mark Addy as a villain would be great, as long as he has a beard or something else to harden his face.)

Ok, I stop.

Since62 wrote: »
    They've used actors from prior films for a different character in a subsequent film before: Eg. Charles Gray - who appeared in YOLT as a Bond ally, and in the same film another actor (Donald Pleasance) portrayed Blofeld, and who then appeared two films later (in Connery's next after taking one off) in DAF as Blofeld ! and Joe Don Baker - who appeared in TLD as a villain and then, just two films later with a different Bond actor, as a "good guy" in GE. However, I doubt we would see an actor who played a part in a Bond film return as Bond. Therefore, Robbie Coltrane, who appeared as Zukovsky in GE and then, 2 films later, with the same Brosnan Bond, as the same Zukovsky character, in TWINE, is not likely, per past practice, to return to the series and this time as Bond....by the way - is that "2 films later" a thing, or what ?

I was speaking in jest of course, but I meant by it that it's a false dilemma: we don't have a pool of two candidates (not at the moment anyway) and it's possible to have two candidates equally unsuitable when placed in competition.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 784
    Ludovico wrote: »

I was speaking in jest of course, but I meant by it that it's a false dilemma: we don't have a pool of two candidates (not at the moment anyway) and it's possible to have two candidates equally unsuitable when placed in competition.

As the field of candidates is arguably bigger than ever before, I thought head to head matchups (along with a bracket or point based system) would ease in eliminating candidates.

I am only including candidates mentioned in this thread so far, so the responsibility for unlikely suggestions are rather on you than me.

Also some people seemed to enjoy it, and I did it for them rather than you.

As the field of candidates is arguably bigger than ever before, I thought head to head matchups (bracket/point based system) would ease in eliminating candidates.

I am only including candidates mentioned in this thread so far, so the responsibility for unlikely suggestions are rather on you than me.

Also some people seemed to enjoy it, and I did it for them rather than you.

I understand that, I just think it's fairly pointless, given that there are so many potential candidates now.

Oh, gosh, I know. Just having more fun with it. My jest is that the reason - as if it were the only reason - for which Mr. Coltrane would not portray Bond is that he's already played another character in two earlier Bond films. At this point, he's also too old, since they'd want someone available for a string of, what, at least three, and look as good in that last one as in the first.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 9,767
    I really like Jack bannon
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I really like Jack bannon

He's very plausible as a candidate. Also he has the exact hairline that Ian Fleming envisioned Bond having.

yq-pennyworth-28062029.jpg?VersionId=s2QYCLC0LA0AYBuq9zZNopzcvh8CUiMa

220px-Fleming007impression.jpg
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Does anybody maybe want to set up some kind of March Madness-type elimination tournament in it's own thread? I do like the head-to-head comparisons as a bit of a diversion and different take on the debate and I think @ByRoyalDecree has so far done a good job of finding fun match-ups and not just two random dudes, but they sometimes clog up the thread and I think it would help if they worked towards some goal and not just "this guy or that guy".
    So maybe it would be fun to do a candidates tournament in the "Trivia & Games" section? I don't know whether that has been done before or works within the board rules.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Does anybody maybe want to set up some kind of March Madness-type elimination tournament in it's own thread? I do like the head-to-head comparisons as a bit of a diversion and different take on the debate and I think @ByRoyalDecree has so far done a good job of finding fun match-ups and not just two random dudes, but they sometimes clog up the thread and I think it would help if they worked towards some goal and not just "this guy or that guy".
    So maybe it would be fun to do a candidates tournament in the "Trivia & Games" section? I don't know whether that has been done before or works within the board rules.

Sounds like a good idea. Personally I enjoy the match ups!
  • Does anybody maybe want to set up some kind of March Madness-type elimination tournament in it's own thread? I do like the head-to-head comparisons as a bit of a diversion and different take on the debate and I think @ByRoyalDecree has so far done a good job of finding fun match-ups and not just two random dudes, but they sometimes clog up the thread and I think it would help if they worked towards some goal and not just "this guy or that guy".

That's what I was thinking. I would set some criteria for the actors though, such as an age limit (39 or under maybe?), and not too well known. Because some of the actors he's doing seem like long shots to say the least, like bald 58 year old Mark Strong. This would make the candidate list more manageable, otherwise you'd end up with hundreds of candidates.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited March 2022 Posts: 3,389
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Anybody mentioned Jonathan Bailey? I know zilch about him but saw a few pics from Bridgerton and he seems to have the look. Otherwise no idea about his height, his voice, his skills. At 33 he'd be at the right age too.

Having watched a bit of Bridgerton, I think Bailey could do it, but I wouldn't think he's all that likely to get it. He ticks a lot of boxes, but doesn't knock any specific aspect out of the park, I would say. Although, if we go by - what sometimes seem to be - the most important characteristics: he's not too short, he has a good voice, is mostly clean shaven, has dark hair, looks like an adult and doesn't have a weak chin. So he's almost perfect.
    MI6HQ wrote: »

I've seen a lot of their work. They've got some great images of literary characters, but I know they've also had to go back on a couple that didn't feel 'right' (the image they did of Humbert Humbert from Lolita is an example, and Neil Gaiman even suggested changes to their version of Mr. Wednesday from American Gods after it was brought to his attention which they took). This is another example of that problem I think - technically it's not incorrect based on the description, but I don't think this is what Fleming or readers in general have/had in mind when they read the books.
    007HallY wrote: »

I've seen a lot of their work. They've got some great images of literary characters, but I know they've also had to go back on a couple that didn't feel 'right' (the image they did of Humbert Humbert from Lolita is an example, and Neil Gaiman even suggested changes to their version of Mr. Wednesday from American Gods after it was brought to his attention which they took). This is another example of that problem I think - technically it's not incorrect based on the description, but I don't think this is what Fleming or readers in general have/had in mind when they read the books.

Quite so ! The books give another big piece of information which these folks could have/should use: that Bond looks rather like Hoagy Carmichael. I don't think Bond has a disappearing upper lip, either. The scar is too pronounced. He does not have such a high forehead/hairline. His eyes should appear to be blue. His comma of black hair falles over his forehead, closer to the middle but not in the middle, and not - as shown here - a curl over his temple. I do not recall whether his ears bulged out in the middle then in at the top but I don't think that's right as shown. Again - refer to H. Carmichael. Mind you - Fleming did not describe Bond as a doppelganger for Carmichael, nor vice-versa, but it should be helpful.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 2,871

Quite so ! The books give another big piece of information which these folks could have/should use: that Bond looks rather like Hoagy Carmichael. I don't think Bond has a disappearing upper lip, either. The scar is too pronounced. He does not have such a high forehead/hairline. His eyes should appear to be blue. His comma of black hair falles over his forehead, closer to the middle but not in the middle, and not - as shown here - a curl over his temple. I do not recall whether his ears bulged out in the middle then in at the top but I don't think that's right as shown. Again - refer to H. Carmichael. Mind you - Fleming did not describe Bond as a doppelganger for Carmichael, nor vice-versa, but it should be helpful.

A young Hoagy Carmichael, yes. So like this for those interested:

Hoagy-Carmichael.jpg

I know Carmichael was American but there's something very 'English' about his face. It's telling that Fleming had specific actors in mind for Bond in '62 such as David Niven. He also famously wasn't a fan of Connery's more earthly, rugged looks (I believe the quote goes 'he looks like a balding lorry driver') so I think his initial image of Bond was very specific - more clean cut and generically handsome with just hints of that inner darkness through the eyes, the scar and mouth.

Interestingly, Bond's appearance was starting to morph before the films. That famous illustration I posted before was an early concept drawing before the comic strips started coming out in the late 50s adapting Fleming's work. It was deemed too 'pre-war' so they made Bond a bit more rugged.

So this:

fleming007impression.jpg

Became this:

james-bond-comic-john-mclusky-333x324.jpg

Not sure if the Carmichael reference in itself helps us, or indeed the producers, finding the next Bond actor (by this logic someone like Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch would be ideal, but my suspicion is they wouldn't be particularly good Bonds/convey the correct intensity and demeanour required for the role) but it's interesting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,930

I can only see a lady in that face.

Oh I just thought: they always seemed to say that NTTD was the 'current' Bond film until after the Oscars- I guess that means that they'll be starting to think about Bond 26 and the new actor from around now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »

Same here. It reminds me of someone, but I can t put my finger on who it is.
    mtm wrote: »

Same here. It reminds me of someone, but I can t put my finger on who it is.

Just as well. Not polite to finger someone you don't know...or know, without their invitation.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Hoagy-Carmichael.jpg

I know Carmichael was American but there's something very 'English' about his face. It's telling that Fleming had specific actors in mind for Bond in '62 such as David Niven. He also famously wasn't a fan of Connery's more earthly, rugged looks (I believe the quote goes 'he looks like a balding lorry driver') so I think his initial image of Bond was very specific - more clean cut and generically handsome with just hints of that inner darkness through the eyes, the scar and mouth.
    Worth showing another picture of Carmichael as he can look quite different:
    Pv8NOVp.jpg
    He's more conventionally handsome in this one, and consequently closer to a lot of standard 'middle-of-the-road' suggestions.

Hoagy-Carmichael.jpg

Interestingly, Bond's appearance was starting to morph before the films. That famous illustration I posted before was an early concept drawing before the comic strips started coming out in the late 50s adapting Fleming's work. It was deemed too 'pre-war' so they made Bond a bit more rugged.

So this:

fleming007impression.jpg

Became this:

james-bond-comic-john-mclusky-333x324.jpg

Not sure if the Carmichael reference in itself helps us, or indeed the producers, finding the next Bond actor (by this logic someone like Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch would be ideal, but my suspicion is they wouldn't be particularly good Bonds/convey the correct intensity and demeanour required for the role) but it's interesting.

Excellent ! Well done finding and inserting those images in your post. I don't think Connery's appearance was that far off from the artist's latter rendering. I find the rendering of Ms. Moneypenny (or would it be Ms. Goodnight) amusing, particularly her "Oh, my !" expression, but also her hairdo and glasses. An aspect of Carmichael's appearance which I do not recall Fleming distinguishing away was his nose. It is an aspect I just assumed from when I first read it that Fleming did not intend to be descriptive of Bond's nose. I also note that Connery had those handsome vertical lines in his face and Carmichael had at least one, on his right side.