No Time To Die - VFX Breakdown by Double Negative

edited February 2022 in No Time To Die Posts: 440

Nice thing about this video is that it has some uncropped 35mm and IMAX footage.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That was great, thanks. Love seeing the breakdown of a shot. Didn't realize they modeled the trawler - I assumed everything we saw was the full-size rig.
    What I would give for them to release a version of the film on physical media with the varying aspect ratios.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Cool video. Thanks for sharing. Why is the island shown with snow?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's not intended to be snow. I think it's just another layer of the visual process for creating detail and texture on the element.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

It's not intended to be snow. I think it's just another layer of the visual process for creating detail and texture on the element.

I thought about that, too. (Not exactly the way you describe it because I know nothing about this visual process...) But it really looked like snow to me and was curious anyway.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks for that; I wish they’d shown a bit more- there weren’t many massive surprises in there. Maybe seeing the head replacement on the Bond/Ash fight would have been good. The bit with Paloma’s leg was funny.
    BMB007 wrote: »
    What I would give for them to release a version of the film on physical media with the varying aspect ratios.

Yes indeed, I’m not sure why the BR doesn’t have the IMAX ratio. I don’t think it even varies in the cinema does it? The whole film is full screen.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @mtm The cinema one does vary the ratios between the imax one and the “normal” one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting, I didn't spot that.
    mtm wrote: »
    Interesting, I didn't spot that.

That is if you’re watching it in IMAX.

They do hide it well, the end of the pretitles and the kaleidoscopic effect mask the changing aspect ratio into the London skyline. Its more obvious when they cut to Bond on his boat, and the transition in the Cuba scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It's always hard to spot the changes in the London IMAX where I saw it as the screen is so big the top and bottom are almost out of your peripheral vision! :D
    I don't understand why they don't release the IMAX versions on home formats as it would fit a TV screen better.
    @mtm It really depends on the movie. All the Nolan films have the expanded ratio on the blu-ray, as does First Man, MI Ghost Protocol etc.

I imagine, much like Skyfall, they want a set aspect ratio for the film for all future use. Which is a shame, I’d love the 1:90:1 Skyfall on blu one day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Does Ghost Protocol? I didn’t think it did, I’ll have to check mine.