Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I'm not even a huge Marvel fan, but this looks really promising.

Moon Knight looks good
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I rewatched ETERNALS for the first time since theaters.

Played a lot better than I thought. But I can understand why most would be bored by this. It's less a character film, more a film about gods grappling with their place on Earth. There aren't really any fleshed out characters, more archetypes which is probably as far as a movie can take with a cast of a dozen actors.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Played a lot better than I thought. But I can understand why most would be bored by this. It's less a character film, more a film about gods grappling with their place on Earth. There aren't really any fleshed out characters, more archetypes which is probably as far as a movie can take with a cast of a dozen actors.

I always found it funny how the studio that stumbled across several large pots of gold by very, very slowly introducing one character after the other in their own film and in the background of other films and whatnot to only have them come together as a huge event in the 6th films and then further build and build until they could blow the top off in the 19th and 22nd films, would go: "Yeah, so there's this team of 10 gods with an incredibly complicated mythology weaving through all of human history who we've never mentioned before, so we'll just introduce all of them at once and immediatly have earth-threatening stakes and loads of beats depended on character development. Should work."
    I don't actually know if there would have been another way to do it, but it's just such a 180-turn, it's fascinating.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't know what to make of Moon Knight. I guess I'll trust in Oscar Isaac.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of Moon Knight. I guess I'll trust in Oscar Isaac.

Have been waiting for years. Shame it is on Disney+.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Looks pretty good? Will assume this character will crossover into the Blade launch possibly? Looking forward to seeing this either way?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Looks pretty good? Will assume this character will crossover into the Blade launch possibly? Looking forward to seeing this either way?

Could well be, since they both deal with Dracula.

I always found it funny how the studio that stumbled across several large pots of gold by very, very slowly introducing one character after the other in their own film and in the background of other films and whatnot to only have them come together as a huge event in the 6th films and then further build and build until they could blow the top off in the 19th and 22nd films, would go: "Yeah, so there's this team of 10 gods with an incredibly complicated mythology weaving through all of human history who we've never mentioned before, so we'll just introduce all of them at once and immediatly have earth-threatening stakes and loads of beats depended on character development. Should work."
    I don't actually know if there would have been another way to do it, but it's just such a 180-turn, it's fascinating.

We haven’t heard of them throughout all the previous films because they were no longer active by then, due to them believing they’ve finished all the deviants. That’s really not much of a stretch.

Looks like shite to be honest.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I got about 30 minutes into Eternals and got bored. Switched over to Thor Ragnarok to be entertained.

Disney+ is amazing for the marvel and star wars content.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    You went from the absolute nadir to the absolute best of cinematic Marvel, in my estimation.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,416
    Thor Ragnarok was amazing . It was my first viewing from start to finish. Top 5 Marvel film in my opinion and it got me excited for Love and Thunder. I started Loki last night and its good so far. I have a hard time getting into non-Avenger Marvel films or series. If there's Avengers or the supporting casts from those films, I tend to enjoy them immensely. Even the lesser ones such as Iron Man 2, Thor 2 etc.

I will say this from Eternals. From what I saw, I would love for Richard Madden to be Bond
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    The best any of the Disney Marvel shows have risen to is passably entertaining for me.
    I’ve enjoyed them all, LOKI probably the most because I like how out of the world it is. But yeah, aside from that, I may never rewatch any of those shows again.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,394
    I got about 30 minutes into Eternals and got bored. Switched over to Thor Ragnarok to be entertained.

Except that they don’t have the Tom Holland Spidey movies which every real MCU fan has in their collection ( or The Incredible Hulk ).

Also,do we really want to get started about how Disney has ruined the SW franchise? That Boba Fett show is getting awful reviews and losing viewers every week.

• I’ve enjoyed them all, LOKI probably the most because I like how out of the world it is. But yeah, aside from that, I may never rewatch any of those shows again.

The more I think about Loki the less I like it. I may say I borderline hate it. It’s definetly well made but some of the creative decisions are so stupid they just about ruin any creative decision Marvel made before that series.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Except that they don’t have the Tom Holland Spidey movies which every real MCU fan has in their collection ( or The Incredible Hulk ).

Also,do we really want to get started about how Disney has ruined the SW franchise? That Boba Fett show is getting awful reviews and losing viewers every week.

I can live without those as No Way Home was the only one I'd truly rewatch. I liked Nortons take on Banner but I've grown so accustomed to Ruffalo that i forgot about Nortons film until now.
    Recently saw Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings..
    What a waste of time, simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There was nothing good about it, not one thing.
    Worst ever? I thought it was fine, but I’d never classify it among the worst when there’s SO MUCH worse comic book movies out there.
    Worst ever? I thought it was fine, but I’d never classify it among the worst when there’s SO MUCH worse comic book movies out there.

There are some equally bad, but none worse.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah it's fine. It passed a couple of hours amiably enough and, as you say, there are much, much worse. There are worse Marvel movies alone.
    I still vividly remember audiences laughing when Battfleck screamed “WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAAMME???!” I never felt so embarrassed for a cast than those in BATMAN V SUPERMAN
    What a waste of time, simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There was nothing good about it, not one thing.

I just refuse to watch it,considering what a douchebag the lead actor is.He’s even worse than Brie Larson with all the SJW nonsense he’s been spewing on social media ( He claims to be the first ever Asian action star that kids can look up to ).

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I was born in the mid 70's and I looked up to Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Samo Hung and Yuen Biao. I loved all there movies when I was a kid.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

I just refuse to watch it,considering what a douchebag the lead actor is.He’s even worse than Brie Larson with all the SJW nonsense he’s been spewing on social media ( He claims to be the first ever Asian action star that kids can look up to ).

If you can ignore stupid things actors say and do, like Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise, it shouldn’t be difficult to do the same for others.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,956
    Or Sean Connery even.
    This guy gives a very good lead performance I’d say; he’s very charming and likeable. Much better than Brie Larson: I have nothing against her as a person (I don’t follow any of that stuff) but she’s the weakest Marvel lead I’d say.
    It’s always interesting to note when certain people appear to badmouth folks who aren’t white men.
  • mtm wrote: »
    Or Sean Connery even.
    This guy gives a very good lead performance I’d say; he’s very charming and likeable. Much better than Brie Larson: I have nothing against her as a person (I don’t follow any of that stuff) but she’s the weakest Marvel lead I’d say.
    It’s always interesting to note when certain people appear to badmouth folks who aren’t white men.
    I disagree. Brie Larson is a very talented and capable actress with nothing to work with as Captain Marvel. She does try to add a spark, but the scripts don’t let her. Simu Liu is very charismatic but I found his inexperience quite noticeable. It does help Liu in that he was a very quirky Akwafina to play off and Tony Leung is amazing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,956
    Fair enough. I find Larson’s smirks to be really quite cold and distant but that may just be me. I certainly agree that Tony Leung is amazing: he’s a real touch of class and raises the whole thing. I like Liu a lot and I think he does nothing wrong, but you do kind of just want Leung as the lead: he never seems too old or anything.
    Tony Leung wasn t bad per se. I guess he was to this garbage heap of a movie what Lashana Lynch was to that other garbage heap Captain Marvel.