NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    As Bond says in QoS "I don't think the dead care about vengeance"

But the living do. ;-)

I can't think of a pithy retort, so... fart.

You could've said, "The dead don't care about the living," and then I would've said, "But the living care about the dead." But "fart" is good. ;-)

That is good. Can I change my response?

It depends on the wronged person. Would they like the protagonist to get revenge? Or is it a case of "live and let live"? (Metaphorically speaking, of course, as the wronged person is usually kinda not alive)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

But the living do. ;-)

Until they learn it’s not worth it. ;)
    At least that’s the lesson Bond lears in QoS.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    matt_u wrote: »

But the living do. ;-)

Until they learn it’s not worth it. ;)
    At least that’s the lesson Bond lears in QoS.

And in FYEO... not counting the PTS... and Bond knocking Locque off the cliff. But Melina can't do it. Because she has to be prepared to dig two graves. That very same moralistic Bond is, by the way, the very same guy exacting gruesome revenge on Sanchez and tons of other people in his organisation. I mean, that's what some folks here cling to, the notion that it's all the same Bond. ;-)

1969:
    Tracy is killed.

Two years later:
    Bond is clearly over it because, hey, Blofeld, nice seeing ya. Yeah, making mudpies, good joke. And something about the wrong pussy. Oh, and I'm not going to kill you, I'm just going to drop you in the ocean in something built to... work in the ocean. May I live to kill you another day.

Another six years later:
    don't mention Tracy! It still hurts.

Another four years later:
    FINALLY, I get to kill Blofeld. "Oh, you... wanna get off?" *Smile, smile*. Because now it's a laughing matter again. Except that vengeance isn't. Melina, it's wrong. Be a good girl and don't attempt any vendetta. It's just wrong. Because it is.

Another eight years later:
    See this face? I am PISSED, y'all! And I'm going to EF this organisation and Sanchez up like a tornado high on bloodlust.

Another decade or so later:
    For England? No, for me. Revenge is a philosophical matter.

Yes, same Bond. \sarcasm
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So he is conflicted. Aren t we all?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Response of the day! Well done old man. :))

Oh but he can't be, you see. He's Fleming's Bond, you see. And Cubby's, yes, Cubby's too. It's unfair that the guy who smacked a girl's bottom in 1964 can no longer do so in 2021. Because it's the same Bond, you see.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Man, Greene is easily the worst villain.

“pleez dunt tolk to mee lick ayem STOOPID”

Sorry Greene, you kinda are.

Funnily, after QOS they somehow preferred to ignore him, he only gets a short mentioning in SP, but they decided to make the late Silva the more important villain. Understandably.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    After all, Greene was always just a middle man as far as he’s concerned. Hence why Greene doesn’t carry as much significance.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    After all, Greene was always just a middle man as far as he’s concerned. Hence why Greene doesn’t carry as much significance.

Couldn't you say the same about the likes of Largo, though? Kronsteen & Klebb (in the film)?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Funnily, after QOS they somehow preferred to ignore him, he only gets a short mentioning in SP, but they decided to make the late Silva the more important villain. Understandably.

You make it seem as if that was the plan all along, when it's blatantly obvious SF was a stand alone Bond film until they had the bright idea to shoehorn a non-existent link between Blofeld and past villains in SP.

The scene where their pictures are blutacked to the wall in MI6 has to be the stupidest in the Craig era.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

You make it seem as if that was the plan all along, when it's blatantly obvious SF was a stand alone Bond film until they had the bright idea to shoehorn a non-existent link between Blofeld and past villains in SP.

The scene where their pictures are blutacked to the wall in MI6 has to be the stupidest in the Craig era.

I agree!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

And the fact that they're clearly photos that wouldn't be on file anywhere, merely shots freeze-framed and printed from the films themselves. It's hilarious.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 23,530
    Creasy47 wrote: »

And the fact that they're clearly photos that wouldn't be on file anywhere, merely shots freeze-framed and printed from the films themselves. It's hilarious.
    I love the film but yeah, that small section was handled like a joke. If this was supposed to be the big moment of binding things together, it should have been executed differently. And what the hell is Silva doing here? His beef was with M. What, Blofeld coerced him to go after M so that Bond would be punished because he really respected M? That's insultingly far-fetched.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I love the film but yeah, that small section was handled like a joke. If this was supposed to be the big moment of binding things together, it should have been executed differently. And what the hell is Silva doing here? His beef was with M. What, Blofeld coerced him to go after M so that Bond would be punished because he really respected M? That's insultingly far-fetched.

Incredibly. Toss in the fact (that's a little more explainable) that Bond is led to MI6 by two goons, yet has the way painted for him inside with little pictures on display throughout. What if Bond hadn't tried to escape? It would've made the prospect of Blofeld and his guys scurrying about, taping up photos even more ridiculous.
    I have to admit, when Bond was watching Safin's helicopter take Maddy and Matilde away, I thought 'use your magic helicopter pistol! It's right by your canister of bat shark-repellent'.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Couldn't you say the same about the likes of Largo, though? Kronsteen & Klebb (in the film)?

The big difference is that he wasn’t using them to get to his real target like he was with Greene. Once Bond got what he wanted out of Greene he ditched him in the dessert.

The big difference is that he wasn’t using them to get to his real target like he was with Greene. Once Bond got what he wanted out of Greene he ditched him in the dessert.

Fair point. At least Greene had a tasty last meal! ;)

Incredibly. Toss in the fact (that's a little more explainable) that Bond is led to MI6 by two goons, yet has the way painted for him inside with little pictures on display throughout. What if Bond hadn't tried to escape? It would've made the prospect of Blofeld and his guys scurrying about, taping up photos even more ridiculous.

Suppose Bond had said, "screw it, let the bitch die!", and walked away to grab a BLT and a beer in the nearest night shop. He could have then sat on a bench while the building exploded and said, "yo, Alec, I guess I'll need another Martini to silence this scream."

Suppose Bond had said, "screw it, let the bitch die!", and walked away to grab a BLT and a beer in the nearest night shop. He could have then sat on a bench while the building exploded and said, "yo, Alec, I guess I'll need another Martini to silence this scream."

This would have been so much more farfetched than anything else in the Craig era.

A 24 hour BLT place? Please.
    You guys are a great comedy team.
    You can join if you like.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Blofeld obviously had bought the Bond 50 boxset.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

That ending sounds much better 😄
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

I did not make it to seem... And, for the record, I also considered SF a standlone (and still prefer to take it as a standalone), until some genius (Logan? P&W? Mendes?) had the brilliant idea making Silva a SPECTRE agent instead of a former MI6 agent seeking revenge for believing that he had been betrayed by M.

Yepp. But then, in SF the identities of the MI6 agents can be uploaded on YouTube...
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,261

That might have worked a tad better, then what we got in the end. And maybe he then should have gone to a Karaoke bar and sing all the past Bond theme songs...

Yepp. But then, in SF the identities of the MI6 agents can be uploaded on YouTube...

In 1967 one could lock on to satellite imagery from a car to watch another car dropped into an ocean. Technology is so amazing.
  • GBFGBF
    chrisisall wrote: »

In 1967 one could lock on to satellite imagery from a car to watch another car dropped into an ocean. Technology is so amazing.

When SPECTRE is involved, there are cameras everywhere :-)
    I have to admit, when Bond was watching Safin's helicopter take Maddy and Matilde away, I thought 'use your magic helicopter pistol! It's right by your canister of bat shark-repellent'.

As undeniably idiotic as that moment in SPECTRE is, if there was any fictional character who I think could take down a helicopter with a pistol shot, it would be James Bond.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526

As undeniably idiotic as that moment in SPECTRE is, if there was any fictional character who I think could take down a helicopter with a pistol shot, it would be James Bond.

Also, @coloneladamski why would he want to shoot down a helicopter with Madeleine and Mathilde on it?