NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Personally, I never enjoy interviews with these people. It always uncovers how much I actually dislike them all.
    I know what you mean. I wish I'd never read that interview with Craig ("how many have I got to do?"). I liked it much better when the actors acted like they enjoyed playing the character.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I know what you mean. I wish I'd never read that interview with Craig ("how many have I got to do?"). I liked it much better when the actors acted like they enjoyed playing the character.

Don’t be daft. There’s a difference between enjoying playing a character and having to work on a six month shooting schedule. Filmmaking is not all sunshines and rainbows
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,161
    How about not calling others daft? Attack the idea, not the member.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,025
    Birdleson wrote: »
    How about not calling others daft? Attach the idea, not the member.

Okay; “don’t be silly”?

I only used “daft” because I’ve noticed it’s his favorite word. My mistake.
    How about not call him anything "Don't be...". Why is it that so hard for some of you? I could think that another member had the most ludicrous idea I've ever heard, but I would never remark on them or their comment as being silly for stupid or daft or such. I'd either ignore it or give the opposite point. Do you really think you convince anyone of anything with that approach?
    How about not calling others daft? Attack the idea, not the member.

I'm used to it on here. There's a few people who seem to enjoy talking down to others. It's easy to do behind a screen name. I suppose it's the nature of forums. I wouldn't do it myself, as it always comes across a little embarrassing, but if others want to, that's up to them. I don't let it bother me.
    You bring up a good point. I have spent time with half a dozen members in person, some a lot of time. And not once has a personal barb or snide remark ever arose. It probably is the comfort of anonymity.
    How about not call him anything "Don't be...". Why is it that so hard for some of you? I could think that another member had the most ludicrous idea I've ever heard, but I would never remark on them or their comment as being silly for stupid or daft or such. I'd either ignore it or give the opposite point. Do you really think you convince anyone of anything with that approach?

I’m not trying to convince anyone. It’s clear those who hated the ending made up their minds.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 511

If you watch that Variety roundtable from earlier last week, it's apparent how much he loves the character. His eyes light up when he gets to talk about the story. You can tell how much pride he takes in getting to make actually dramatically compelling movies with this character, exploring the metaphors and all that.

He loves it so much he worked his tail off to make them great, artistically compelling movies. Pushing the caliber of filmmaker they got involved.
    You bring up a good point. I have spent time with have a dozen members in person, some a lot of time. And not once has a personal barb or snide remark ever arose. It probably is the comfort of anonymity.

Oh yes, I'm sure these people wouldn't say such things to my face. Completely.
    You bring up a good point. I have spent time with have a dozen members in person, some a lot of time. And not once has a personal barb or snide remark ever arose. It probably is the comfort of anonymity.

Oh yes, I'm sure these people wouldn't say such things to my face. Completely.

Don’t be too sure.

;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Personally, I never enjoy interviews with these people. It always uncovers how much I actually dislike them all.

Because of how they ended NTTD or other things?
    Because they’re MURDERERSS!!!!

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You bring up a good point. I have spent time with half a dozen members in person, some a lot of time. And not once has a personal barb or snide remark ever arose. It probably is the comfort of anonymity.

When we met that one time I seem to remember calling you a Denebian Slime Devil to your face. :P
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    It would be fun to do some sort of meetup. I’m sure it’s been done / at least discussed in the past. Then we can do all our personal attacks of one another... in person!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It would be fun to do some sort of meetup. I’m sure it’s been done / at least discussed in the past. Then we can do all our personal attacks of one another... in person!

We need to set up a Thunderdome for it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    chrisisall wrote: »

I guess a @Thunderfinger will have to do.

When we met that one time I seem to remember calling you a Denebian Slime Devil to your face. :P

Was scotch involved?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    mattjoes wrote: »

I guess a @Thunderfinger will have to do.

I don’t know know if I want to be around a thunderfinger honestly. Don't know what one is but it sounds uncomfortable.
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    I saw the WGA Q&A yesterday which featured Daniel, Michael & Barbara, Cary, Sandgren, Zimmer, Tildsley as well as the re-recording mixer and one of the editors. It would be very interesting to the casual fan or perhaps uninvolved spectator (the real audience for this broadcast), but it was a lot of talk regurgitated just the way we have heard it in numerous interviews. And considering it was for the WGA, only one co-writer (Cary) was involved. Still happy to have seen it though, as it made me pop the Blu-ray in and watch the film yet again!
  • I know what you mean. I wish I'd never read that interview with Craig ("how many have I got to do?"). I liked it much better when the actors acted like they enjoyed playing the character.

Don’t be daft. There’s a difference between enjoying playing a character and having to work on a six month shooting schedule. Filmmaking is not all sunshines and rainbows

Not just shooting but promoting it as well. Those promo junkets must be so boring, being asked the same questions all day.

I appreciate how straight talking Craig is personally, and I think it’s really unfair to make those sorts of assertions based off what we see in interviews. He’s clearly never enjoyed the celebrity of the role. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t like the character or anything like that.
    BMB007 wrote: »

If you watch that Variety roundtable from earlier last week, it's apparent how much he loves the character. His eyes light up when he gets to talk about the story. You can tell how much pride he takes in getting to make actually dramatically compelling movies with this character, exploring the metaphors and all that.

He loves it so much he worked his tail off to make them great, artistically compelling movies. Pushing the caliber of filmmaker they got involved.

Teared up talking about leaving the role on Graham Norton too. And yeah exactly, I don’t understand the fan narrative around Craig to be honest. He hates Bond, but also he’s had too much creative control. I think you’ve got to pick one. Either he’s passionate or he isn’t. Irregardless of your thoughts on his creative decisions, he wouldn’t be pushing for that kind of involvement if he didn’t care.
    YBYbADn_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I don't imagine there will be a backlash against the Craig era. The same people who don't like it now probably will continue to not like it, but on the whole I think people will be happy to have this 5-film arc that does something a little different than the 20 films preceding them. They certainly weren't perfect, but they did a lot of things right, and the first billion dollar Bond film certainly isn't bad for the franchise, regardless of your thoughts of the film itself.

Indeed, it is all a "matter of perspective." Two Bond films, in particular, that were not well-received at the time were OHMSS and LTK. Both have since been re-evaluated and have much greater standing in the Bond community. NTTD was mostly a hit with fans and critics alike, so it isn't exactly the same thing, but I do think that NTTD and the entire DC era will be looked upon quite fondly many years from now.

Long before this film. I find them all (this generation of EON) very self-important, with very little in the way of natural humor or grace, unless it’s towards each other.

Hey, could you post that picture again?
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,025
    *dp*
    The only personality I liked out of all of EON was Tom Mankiewicz. I could listen to him telling stories all day.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,279

Long before this film. I find them all (this generation of EON) very self-important, with very little in the way of natural humor or grace, unless it’s towards each other.

That's exactly how I think they come across too. I appreciate Craig does care about the character of Bond, it comes across this way in interviews, but I feel the direction he was pushing the character in wasn't the way I wanted the series to go.

The only actor to play Bond that felt was on the right course was Dalton, and before that probably early Connery, going by interviews they said at that time.

But I do find the gushing over Craig by Babs a little sickly, and lots of pretentious back slapping each other when the cast and crew are interviewed, but I guess this is the nature of the beast these days in Hollywood and filmmaking circles. It's expected.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't imagine there will be a backlash against the Craig era. The same people who don't like it now probably will continue to not like it, but on the whole I think people will be happy to have this 5-film arc that does something a little different than the 20 films preceding them. They certainly weren't perfect, but they did a lot of things right, and the first billion dollar Bond film certainly isn't bad for the franchise, regardless of your thoughts of the film itself.

Indeed, it is all a "matter of perspective." Two Bond films, in particular, that were not well-received at the time were OHMSS and LTK. Both have since been re-evaluated and have much greater standing in the Bond community. NTTD was mostly a hit with fans and critics alike, so it isn't exactly the same thing, but I do think that NTTD and the entire DC era will be looked upon quite fondly many years from now.

I watched QoS last night (was on TV), and enjoyed it far more than I was expecting. In many ways it's at least equal to SF, and is infinitely better than both SP and NTTD.

I personally don't think NTTD will be remembered fondly in years to come. The 2 stand out films that will be remembered from the Craig era will be CR and SF. I actually think NTTD will eventually be seen as the black sheep of the family, the film we all try to forget, the same way DAD now is (but for obviously different reasons).