1) Timothy Dalton de-aged.
    That would be Aidan Turner.
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

"It's fine...tell Barbara too stop the search. I'm here!"

;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Without a doubt Daniel is a great actor, but there’s a danger of dismissing potential candidates because they’re “ not Daniel “ ; another actor may be equally skilled but have a completely different style.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Benny wrote: »
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

"It's fine...tell Barbara too stop the search. I'm here!"

;)

Hahaha quite accurate I'm sure @Benny
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

That’s the next James Bond right there.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Aidan Turner looks sort of like the middle ground between Dalton and Adrian Paul, so I could see him as a logical successor to Paul if he'd been Bond - but following Dan? It's a huge ask and I've not seen enough of Turner to gauge if he's up to it. He looks the closest to classic Bond, but Craig raised the acting stakes so high, they can't just cast on looks, surely?
    My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed POLDARK.

Turner is definitely up to the task of filling Bond's shoes. He can do the Dalton/Craig intensity thing but is also capable of humor and lightheartedness.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Aidan Turner looks sort of like the middle ground between Dalton and Adrian Paul, so I could see him as a logical successor to Paul if he'd been Bond - but following Dan? It's a huge ask and I've not seen enough of Turner to gauge if he's up to it. He looks the closest to classic Bond, but Craig raised the acting stakes so high, they can't just cast on looks, surely?
    My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed POLDARK.

Turner is definitely up to the task of filling Bond's shoes. He can do the Dalton/Craig intensity thing but is also capable of humor and lightheartedness.

I can only say you and your wife have splendid taste in who the next Bond should be. Your assessment is on point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never thought Clive Owen really had the force of personality to be Bond. Not that that stopped Pierce, obvs ;). Aidan Turner looks sort of like the middle ground between Dalton and Adrian Paul, so I could see him as a logical successor to Paul if he'd been Bond - but following Dan? It's a huge ask and I've not seen enough of Turner to gauge if he's up to it. He looks the closest to classic Bond, but Craig raised the acting stakes so high, they can't just cast on looks, surely?

Owen is David Schwimmer minus the fun. He was great in Sin City though, but that monotonous style suited the character.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Never thought Clive Owen really had the force of personality to be Bond. Not that that stopped Pierce, obvs ;). Aidan Turner looks sort of like the middle ground between Dalton and Adrian Paul, so I could see him as a logical successor to Paul if he'd been Bond - but following Dan? It's a huge ask and I've not seen enough of Turner to gauge if he's up to it. He looks the closest to classic Bond, but Craig raised the acting stakes so high, they can't just cast on looks, surely?

Owen is David Schwimmer minus the fun. He was great in Sin City though, but that monotonous style suited the character.

The closest that I ever saw Owen as a possible Bond was in the BMW spots; they also had the advantage of having a stellar group of directors.

• OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Being a good actor doesn't mean diddly squat if you can't carry the role naturally. Anyone who is hired as Bond needs to already be Bond, if that makes sense. I have no idea if a guy like David Gandy can or cannot act, but he carries himself like Bond. When he was interviewed alongside Naomie Harris, he said that he had done some acting, but I digress.

I don't know what's gotten into people when they say that Daniel Craig has set a new bar for the role. Daniel Craig is a good actor, but I never saw the natural ease of slipping into the character like Connery had. Connery moved like a panther, he was tall, smug, brash, and outright entertaining. Even if he wanted to, I doubt that Craig could emulate any of his predecessors in demeanor.

So, yes, it would help for the next actor to be of quality, but I want someone who is diametrically opposite to Daniel Craig in every way.

That's the word for him: monotonous. He fits some characters. I can even think of some roles he'd be good or great in. But not Bond.
  • Zarozzor wrote: »
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

I can't understand how anyone can look at that photo and not immediately see James Bond. That is James Bond.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,665
    parkert5 wrote: »
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

I can't understand how anyone can look at that photo and not immediately see James Bond. That is James Bond.

Plus he has the voice, the commanding presence, the room to grow in the role, ... Still, he probably won't be Bond, simply because we're not in 1994, and the world requires some subversion of the archetypical types, and because people don't care about intelectual property anymore. Most people advocate things with "it doesn't matter anymore", and they live by it. Not that I'm a conservative type, but the ideia that a man who looks like Bond, is available to play the role, wants it, is the right age, is embraced by most fans, ..., and doesn't get to play it, baffles me. Not that I've seen his audition tape, but I'm willing to bet it was rather good.

I was here in 2004 and such, and none of the candidates, not even Owen had the consensus that Turner has. Just saying.

But...he won't be Bond. Right, EON? :P
    Nobody made consensus back in 2004. Not Owen, not anyone. I'm not even sure Owen was that popular a prospect. That's what made that time so interesting: an interesting pool of potential candidates, but no heir apparent. And I will also add that Turner does not make consensus now.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Nobody made consensus back in 2004. Not Owen, not anyone. I'm not even sure Owen was that popular a prospect. That's what made that time so interesting: an interesting pool of potential candidates, but no heir apparent. And I will also add that Turner does not make consensus now.

Depends on your definition of consensus within this little democracy we call mi6community. A while ago a lot of members voted and Turner won by a landslide, so in a way a consensus I'd argue.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Depends on your definition of consensus within this little democracy we call mi6community. A while ago a lot of members voted and Turner won by a landslide, so in a way a consensus I'd argue.

When was that? And I'm not even talking about this community, but fans and viewers at large. I think only Brosnan made some kind of consensus when cast and it was due to a number of circumstances that are not here anymore and may never happen again. Otherwise there was no heir apparent when he left the role and there's no heir apparent now.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I actually had to look up "consensus" lol, "A general agreement" apparently, which is fair to say Aidan Turner has around here. I would say I'm a 'pesky detractor', one of the minority for sure. But I can definitely see his appeal.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

Works for me. If they cast him I will officially yell
    WE'RE BACK
    WE'RE BAD
    YOU'RE BLACK; I'M MAD!
    I actually had to look up "consensus" lol, "A general agreement" apparently, which is fair to say Aidan Turner has around here. I would say I'm a 'pesky detractor', one of the minority for sure. But I can definitely see his appeal.

So can I, bit I don't see the consensus. I think here Turner has as many detractors as fans, and there are the ones that remain to be convinced.

As for the general public if there's a consensus it might be for someone like Jude Law or one of the Game of Thrones actors.
    As far as acting talent goes, hypothetically, if Craig were to indeed be nominated and win the BEST ACTOR Oscar for his performance as Bond in NTTD would that set the standards even higher?
    Would Barbara then focus only on Oscars winners to play Bond and go for a Daniel Day Lewis type? Perhaps we'd only get one Bond film once per decade but if each film brings a statue, would it be worth it?
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,665
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As far as acting talent goes, hypothetically, if Craig were to indeed be nominated and win the BEST ACTOR Oscar for his performance as Bond in NTTD would that set the standards even higher?

It would certainly set the Academy standards lower (even lower, I mean). You think his performance in NTTD is Oscar worthy? I know, I know, hypothetically :) Craig's one cool cookie, and generally a very good thespian, his performance in both CR and SF was phenomenal for the most part, but that Blofeld interrogatory scene in NTTD has some of the worst acting I've ever seen on screen.

That being said, Daniel Day Lewis as Bond. Now wouldn't that be something? ;)
    Univex wrote: »

It would certainly set the Academy standards lower (even lower, I mean). You think his performance in NTTD is Oscar worthy? I know, I know, hypothetically :) Craig's one cool cookie, and generally a very good thespian, his performance in both CR and SF was phenomenal for the most part, but that Blofeld interrogatory scene in NTTD has some of the worst acting I've ever seen on screen.

Somewhere I read Barbara submitted Daniel for consideration for the Academy Awards. I thought it was a joke, but not quite sure. I certainly hope it was, TBH.

Somewhere I read Barbara submitted Daniel for consideration for the Academy Awards. I thought it was a joke, but not quite sure. I certainly hope it was, TBH.

I'd love to see it myself! Best Bond performance in the franchise for my money, and just the novelty of having a Bond performance be nominated once would be great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,861
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

It takes more than a photo, though.

I'm not down on him, but I remain to be convinced he can carry a movie.
    My choices:
    Hear, hear!

Turner checking in

CkJa9XFWYAApojS.jpg

Plus he has the voice, the commanding presence, the room to grow in the role, ... Still, he probably won't be Bond, simply because we're not in 1994, and the world requires some subversion of the archetypical types, and because people don't care about intelectual property anymore. Most people advocate things with "it doesn't matter anymore", and they live by it. Not that I'm a conservative type, but the ideia that a man who looks like Bond, is available to play the role, wants it, is the right age, is embraced by most fans, ..., and doesn't get to play it, baffles me. Not that I've seen his audition tape, but I'm willing to bet it was rather good.

When did he audition? Or are you talking about Cavill?

No idea what you mean about people not caring about intellectual property: Danjaq own Bond and clearly are very protective of their rights.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,898
    OOWolf wrote: »
    I don't know what's gotten into people when they say that Daniel Craig has set a new bar for the role. Daniel Craig is a good actor, but I never saw the natural ease of slipping into the character like Connery had. Connery moved like a panther, he was tall, smug, brash, and outright entertaining. Even if he wanted to, I doubt that Craig could emulate any of his predecessors in demeanor.
    Connery absolutely embodied the role. No doubt. 'Sean Connery IS James Bond', as the publicity used to have it. That's not what I meant, though - it's the standard of Craig's actual acting that's set a new high bar. On acting ability, he's far and away the best actor that's played Bond (IMO, obvs) and after 15 years with a genuinely world class actor in the role, it'd be a big drop to cast a model or a tv actor just because they looked the part. They need to be able to really act if they're to follow Craig. Problem is, Barbara Broccoli said that she thought Daniel Craig was the best actor of his generation and she may well be right - which is a hell of a high bar for anyone to match. I've not seen Poldark, but if Aidan Turner is as good as people are saying, he'd get my vote - a combination of the classic Bond look and great acting chops would make him ideal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He was good in Poldark, but not on the same level as Craig I'd say. Whether he can move up to that level; I don't know. I'd like to see him lead a reasonable-sized movie to see if he has the presence for it.
  • Babz is a hype woman. She knows how to play the game. Craig the best actor of his generation?
    dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

Craig is a good actor but for the most part his character pouted his way through 5 Bond films as if that's what makes Bond cool.
    When you look at how his predecessors carried themselves and walked into a room, there was a cool and natural sauntering, whereas with Craig, there's always something forced and exaggerated. I feel like Craig is overrated in the role and his performances are amplified by how largely well-made and crafted his films are.

Again, Craig is a good actor but he's far from great imo, of course. I don't see anything in his performances that any competent actor could easily do. He didn't have to say much particularly in his first 3 Bond films but when he started talking more in the latter 2, especially in NTTD we got the cringe stuff we saw.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Babz is a hype woman. She knows how to play the game. Craig the best actor of his generation?
    dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

Craig is a good actor but for the most part his character pouted his way through 5 Bond films as if that's what makes Bond cool.
    When you look at how his predecessors carried themselves and walked into a room, there was a cool and natural sauntering, whereas with Craig, there's always something forced and exaggerated. I feel like Craig is overrated in the role and his performances are amplified by how largely well-made and crafted his films are.

Again, Craig is a good actor but he's far from great imo, of course. I don't see anything in his performances that any competent actor could easily do. He didn't have to say much particularly in his first 3 Bond films but when he started talking more in the latter 2, especially in NTTD we got the cringe stuff we saw.

I concur.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    OOWolf wrote: »
    Connery absolutely embodied the role. No doubt. 'Sean Connery IS James Bond', as the publicity used to have it. That's not what I meant, though - it's the standard of Craig's actual acting that's set a new high bar. On acting ability, he's far and away the best actor that's played Bond (IMO, obvs) and after 15 years with a genuinely world class actor in the role, it'd be a big drop to cast a model or a tv actor just because they looked the part. They need to be able to really act if they're to follow Craig. Problem is, Barbara Broccoli said that she thought Daniel Craig was the best actor of his generation and she may well be right - which is a hell of a high bar for anyone to match. I've not seen Poldark, but if Aidan Turner is as good as people are saying, he'd get my vote - a combination of the classic Bond look and great acting chops would make him ideal.

But maybe this role doesn't need to be performed with the highest acting chops. I may be in the minority, but I didn't find Craig's acting in 'SPECTRE' or 'NTTD' particularly compelling or moving. I didn't buy the relationship between he and Madeleine and although it was Purvis and Wade who had probably come up with that "affair," Craig didn't do much to make it any more convincing. To me, the role just wasn't made for him.

If we're always going to go back to Fleming, then I can say that Bond is no actor. The way we see him in the books might not even translate fully to the screen, but Connery was able to find a good balance. Ultimately, Bond amounts to a tall, dark-haired man with a sense of humor, danger, and a dose of natural nonchalance and cockiness. If modern audiences can't take that kind of character because they lack a sense of humor, then maybe Bond should be retired once and for all.

I can't vouch for Turner, but he sure does look the part.