NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    @4EverBonded has No Time For French
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    The PTS was absolutely thrilling. No PTS will ever unseat my #1 but if I had to sit down and rank them, NTTD would have an argument with a few others for #2. I believe that the DB5 spinning in the square will go down as one of the more iconic scenes of the franchise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,554
    I think I have finally figured out what Safin is up to...

The great thing about watching NTTD via VOD is that I can pause it and rewind it and rewatch sections as I please.

In doing so, I uncovered some clues about Safin's motivation. I think that this was one of the sticking points in the film's plot: trying to figure out what made Safin tick. There are some lines, when Safin shows Mathilde the poison garden, that might offer some clues.

When Mathilde reaches out to grab one of the flowers--and Madeleine screams for her to stop--Safin explains that this plant makes one do as told. I always thought he was being figurative. But maybe not. He was being ironic. There actually is such a plant that causes people to become odedient: The Devil's Breath (Scopolamine). Now, the plant we see in the film does not necessarily resemble the Devil's Breath, but Safin's delight in explaining how a plant can make one "obedient" may explain what his master plan is: wiping out half the planet and making the other half subservient, as a result. He is not just harvesting Heracles; he's likelty harvesting a whole lot of bad stuff. He further discusses this with Bond when he says:

"The thing that no one wants to admit is that most people want things to happen to them. We tell each other lies about the fight for free will...but...We want to be told how to live."

To me, things are making more sense, now.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,925
    Well, Safin wouldn't be the first multi-billionaire who thinks the world's vastly overpopulated and that there needs to be a Great Cull, followed by a Great Reset, with the survivors conditioned into becoming social credit drones for a small elite. Right, Bill? Er, so I've heard...
    Venutius wrote: »
    Well, Safin wouldn't be the first multi-billionaire who thinks the world's vastly overpopulated and that there needs to be a Great Cull, followed by a Great Reset, with the survivors conditioned into becoming social credit drones for a small elite. Right, Bill? Er, so I've heard...

Yep
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Minion wrote: »
    @4EverBonded has No Time For French

hahaha! ;) No time for subtitles either! (I do love the sound of French and wish I could speak it. And other languages.)
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Venutius wrote: »

Not to mention

Karl Stromberg reveals his true plan: to fire nuclear missiles from the stolen submarines at Moscow and New York City, thus framing each other's government and triggering World War Three, which would lead to humanity utterly destroying itself and allow him to create a new civilization under the oceans.

or

Aerospace mogul Hugo Drax plans to launch a deadly gas attack on earth from space to wipe out the human race. He then wants to repopulate it with hand-picked, genetically ideal humans and create an “ultimate dynasty”.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    The PTS was absolutely thrilling. No PTS will ever unseat my #1 but if I had to sit down and rank them, NTTD would have an argument with a few others for #2. I believe that the DB5 spinning in the square will go down as one of the more iconic scenes of the franchise.

I love that but I love the preceding moments more, when Primo is firing round after round at the car, Madeleine keeps screaming "James!" (how far we've come from Stacey Sutton), and Bond, processing being betrayed again, seeming not to care if he dies until...he does the donut.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, Lea's acting in that car scene is incredible, so brilliant.
    I loved the bit where Safin is walking through his lair, and there's women dressed in old 1800's style clothes, and they stop and bow as he walks past like it's some freaky religious cult.
    I bet there's lots of back-story stuff they didn't use about Safin's story. In the old days we'd have novelisations that we could scour for background details, as they were often based on early screenplays.

vlcsnap-2021-11-09-22h29m13s614.png
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    He inherited his family’s pharmaceutical empire, he’s a billionaire. There are some bits about his past and family in the article on White’s desk.
  • mrlynxmrlynx Maine
    TripAces wrote: »
    I think I have finally figured out what Safin is up to...

The great thing about watching NTTD via VOD is that I can pause it and rewind it and rewatch sections as I please.

In doing so, I uncovered some clues about Safin's motivation. I think that this was one of the sticking points in the film's plot: trying to figure out what made Safin tick. There are some lines, when Safin shows Mathilde the poison garden, that might offer some clues.

When Mathilde reaches out to grab one of the flowers--and Madeleine screams for her to stop--Safin explains that this plant makes one do as told. I always thought he was being figurative. But maybe not. He was being ironic. There actually is such a plant that causes people to become odedient: The Devil's Breath (Scopolamine). Now, the plant we see in the film does not necessarily resemble the Devil's Breath, but Safin's delight in explaining how a plant can make one "obedient" may explain what his master plan is: wiping out half the planet and making the other half subservient, as a result. He is not just harvesting Heracles; he's likelty harvesting a whole lot of bad stuff. He further discusses this with Bond when he says:

"The thing that no one wants to admit is that most people want things to happen to them. We tell each other lies about the fight for free will...but...We want to be told how to live."

To me, things are making more sense, now.

Interesting!!! I took it to be almost a sick dad joke of sorts. He goes on about how the plant makes one obedient while looking at Madeleine, and her shouting to Mathilde not to touch it causes the child to obey her. Safin's sense of humor was roundabout in that way (IE his "memory box" and "light as a feather")
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I live next to a city where some speak German, some speak French and some speak both. We can watch films dubbed in German (without subtitles) or in French or in English with german and french subs at the same time. NTTD was shown in different languages in the same cinema multiplex at the same time. I watched the german dubbed version once and some guy was very confused and shouted: Isn't this the german one??!. I assured him that he was attending the right screening.

The german dubbing wasn't too bad but it was strange that Safin didn't have an accent at all. I preferred his strange english talking. It nade him a bit more unique.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Those flowers that makes you obedient is what Safin puts in Swann’s tea, for obvious reasons, since he wanted to force her to live with him in his island.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    I loved the bit where Safin is walking through his lair, and there's women dressed in old 1800's style clothes, and they stop and bow as he walks past like it's some freaky religious cult.
    I bet there's lots of back-story stuff they didn't use about Safin's story. In the old days we'd have novelisations that we could scour for background details, as they were often based on early screenplays.

I thought that odd, too ... the women dressed in traditional Russian peasant garb, at least to my untrained eye, like something out of time.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

This movie DESERVES a novelization.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just saw it. So crazy full of stuff. I liked it a lot.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,252
    Initial impressions: Solid and fitting conclusion to the Craig era (after all 00's have a very short...), but mixed feelings as to how it fits into the series. Probably works better if one treats the first 20 films as their own thing, and the Craig era as a separate franchise (not even a reboot. A separate entity altogether)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I wonder if spectre is a better prequel to NTTD, than NTTD is a sequel to SP?

I’m watching NTTD now, and I’m thinking it would be extremely enjoyable to watch SP immediately after.

I’m watching NTTD now, and I’m thinking it would be extremely enjoyable to watch SP immediately after.

You're on to something.

I plan to watch the five films in reverse order; I think it would be a fascinating approach to DC's era: about 700 minutes, starting with the white gun barrel and ending with "The name's Bond. James Bond."
    TripAces wrote: »

You're on to something.

I plan to watch the five films in reverse order; I think it would be a fascinating approach to DC's era: about 700 minutes, starting with the white gun barrel and ending with "The name's Bond. James Bond."

Yeah, I think so. It was around the time of Blofeld's appearance in NTTD that I had this thought.

If only because, the Belmarsh scene is actually a great introduction to Blofeld, extremely menacing. Then, it would be interesting to go back and see Blofeld "in his prime", at the meeting in Rome, in Vauxhall at the end of SP, etc., after the events of NTTD.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    So, I just watched NTTD for the fourth time, this time at home. I was happy that I just watched CR as it put NTTD in the context of the other Bond films for me finally. Here are some new thoughts I had while watching it this time (There is swearing, but at this point, we're a fan site dedicated to films that now feature the F word, so...):
    Madeleine says in the car, “James, there’s something I have to tell you”, and then doesn’t tell him. When Bond says “You won’t, you’ll never see me again” as Madeleine gets on the train, Madeleine holds her stomach. She was going to tell him that she’s pregneant.

Voldo is fucking hilarious. Don’t care what anyone says.

The lab break in; Moneypenny goes in to tell M about it, he says “I’ve seen it”, proceeds to look at it and be surprised about it??

Felix in Jamaica: “I want to go back and tell my family I saved the world again, don’t you?” Bond has no family… until later. I wonder if it would have been cool if one of his last lines was, “I saved the world again”, when talking to Madeleine?

What’s Nomi’s objective in Jamaica? Make sure Bond doesn’t find out about Valdo/the kidnapping, and if he does, tell him Valdo’s off limits? Later M says Bond is so far off the grid that they thought he was dead, so how did they know to send Nomi there? Were they following Felix Leiter?

Then M after the phone call says “the CIA have the advantage”, so he knows that Bond is working with Leiter. I think what they’re telling us is that MI6 knew Leiter would make contact with Bond, and so following him would lead them to him. Which answers the previous question, Nomi was following Leiter.

Bond in Cuba. “Something about a hat… paris?” I’ve always loved these code phrases, and this play on the cliché is great.

Bond: “Let’s get a drink.” Fear. Fear of yet again entering the ring with Spectre.

Bond watching Paloma drink her martini is very Moore-Bond IMO. Another big Moore-Bond moment in this film is the physicality of Bond when he enters M's office alone and says, "oh, does that bother you?" to Nomi.

Clearly the Spectre Birthday Party was the scene meant for the MayDay cameo (perhaps when Bond utters the line "Spectre agents... all of them.", but it's easy to see why there would have been minimal screentime, and why Grace would bow out. unfortunately for us.

It would have been very cool to have the bald henchman that chased Q near the Hoffler Klinik in Spectre to return as one of the three bald henchmen carrying Blofeld's eye around.

I love the CIA safeboat drenched in red in the ocean. Great visual.

I've said it before, but the transition of:
    Bond finds lifeboat.
    Bond in lifeboat, furious, mulls over the cigar that was meant for his friend.
    Wideshot to large vessel that will bring Bond back to Britain.
    Black.
    Is absolutely brilliant. This film has *very* clear endings to act 1 (this) and act 2 (Madeleine's capture), which I think is cool.

Primo is a fantastic henchman, and has buckets of presence.

It was around there that I stopped taking notes because I was too captivated by the film.

The scene where Bond meets up with M outside in London (the "Just the Usual" scene, if you will), is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I love how they reconnect after the adversity of the Heracles Project. They're on the same team. They're up against what they're always up against, a threat to the principles of this... of This. The music here is perfect too; I'll reiterate that the OHMSS theme has not much to do with Tracy's death (that's for WHATTITW); the OHMSS theme is perfect for what it says on the tin; being On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Very regal, very Brittania, perfect for Bond and M rejoining forces to take on the global threat.

I think the moral of these Craig stories, ultimately could be; nobody escapes this life. It is the fate of glass to break. First Mathis, then Leiter, and finally Bond. A spy can win this good life only by finding some meaning for themselves along the way. And Bond did just that. He found, in my opinion, what he'd been looking for his whole life; the ability to feel for something, and to have that feeling returned. After that, he "saved the world again", and ultimately a spy couldn't have asked for a better way to go.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I like your thoughts @NickTwentyTwo
    M saying in his first scene:"I've seen it" was already odd to me the first time. It doesn't make sense...
    I like your thoughts @NickTwentyTwo
    M saying in his first scene:"I've seen it" was already odd to me the first time. It doesn't make sense...

Maybe he knew what happened but hasn’t actually seen the footage or something? He did bring it up really quickly… it is just a scene that feels weird I think.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Was watching some parts again, it looks to me that Bond crosses Nomi on the road, while he drives into town after having found Felix cigar. She's like one of the passer by as he drives.

Bond last line "I love you", is very important. He has learned to love again, just as he is about do "die". He's arc started with CR is complete.

Did we list the songs used on the soundtrack somewhere?

I love how Bond's rescue boat looks like it came out of Thunderball.

Anyone noticed M use the word "F--k" on the pier?

Grace was supposed to reprise her role of May Day. They wanted to show her in Jamaica as a crime boss and Bond's friend.

@NickTwentyTwo Yes I believe Nomi was following Leiter because the CIA was already in advantage regarding the kidnap of Valdo and once Felix landed in Jamaica she figured it out Felix wanted to ask Bond's help so then she goes to Bond as a professional courtesy in order to show him how good and cool she is.

The big question is: why Swann feels safe at her cabin? Why she comes back there since Safin knows that location?
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    Stamper wrote: »
    Was watching some parts again, it looks to me that Bond crosses Nomi on the road, while he drives into town after having found Felix cigar. She's like one of the passer by as he drives.

Bond last line "I love you", is very important. He has learned to love again, just as he is about do "die". He's arc started with CR is complete.

Did we list the songs used on the soundtrack somewhere?

I love how Bond's rescue boat looks like it came out of Thunderball.

Anyone noticed M use the word "F--k" on the pier?

I noticed that Bond passes Nomi on the street in Jamaica on my second viewing!

Oh yes I noticed M's F bomb. Cary said that Ralph Fiennes dropped that in on one of the many takes they take so they decided to keep it in!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    matt_u wrote: »
    Grace was supposed to reprise her role of May Day. They wanted to show her in Jamaica as a crime boss and Bond's friend.

@NickTwentyTwo Yes I believe Nomi was following Leiter because the CIA was already in advantage regarding the kidnap of Valdo and once Felix landed in Jamaica she figured it out Felix wanted to ask Bond's help so then she goes to Bond as a professional courtesy in order to show him how good and cool she is.

The big question is: why Swann feels safe at her cabin? Why she comes back there since Safin knows that location?

Yes. Thank you for bringing this up.
    This undermines the entire 3rd act for me... NO reason at all for her to go somewhere (with her child...) known to Safin, and therefore Logan Ash.
    I know they wanted to 'repeat Maddy's history' by having Swann, Mathilde and Bond in the SAME cabin, thus showing Swann's repeat of her mothers' mistake ("is that what you like, Madeleine, assasins?!" ... but for heaven's sake. It destroys the plot.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    AceHole wrote: »

This undermines the entire 3rd act for me... NO reason at all for her to go somewhere (with her child...) known to Safin, and therefore Logan Ash.
    I know they wanted to 'repeat Maddy's history' by having Swann, Mathilde and Bond in the SAME cabin, thus showing Swann's repeat of her mothers' mistake ("is that what you like, Madeleine, assasins?!" ... but for heaven's sake. It destroys the plot.

It might be a stretch but the only reason I can came up with is that Swann thought Safin came to her just to ask her the favor in return, since she was the only one able to confront Blofeld in person achieving his personal goal to wipe out SPECTRE. Then, she came back to the cabin knowing Bond would've followed her, and protect her, since she told him about "home" back when they were together. Going "home" aka the cabin was their plan after leaving Matera.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    AceHole wrote: »

It might be a stretch but the only reason I can came up with is that Swann thought Safin came to her just to ask her the favor in return, since she was the only one able to confront Blofeld in person achieving his personal goal to wipe out SPECTRE. Then, she came back to the cabin knowing Bond would've followed her, and protect her, since she told him about "home" back when they were together. Going "home" aka the cabin was their plan after leaving Matera.

I think my only problem with this is that Safin threatens "the person she loves" i.e. Mathilde if she doesn't do it... Then when Bond touches her hand in Belmarsh she leaves and says she's going home as you say...

She then asks Bond in Norway if Blofeld is dead or not so it really is a bit of a silly decision if she had no idea whether she'd done exactly as Safin asked or not.