Rank the 5 Daniel Craig Bond films (no discussion, just list)

1234689

Comments

  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 539
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Quantum of Solace
    3. Skyfall
    4. Spectre
    5. No Time To Die
    Same!
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,171
    Well it's another 8 days before I get to see NTTD. So I'll do this for the four I've seen.

    1. CR
    2. SF
    3. SP
    4. QOS

    After I've seen NTTD I will of course update this. I realize the fate of the world rests on this ranking of mine. ;)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Posts: 3,345
    1. CR
    2. SF
    3. NTTD
    4. SP
    5. QoS
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,725
    This may or may not be of interest to the OP and this thread - but I'm fascinated by this vast disconnect between the fans' ranking and that of the general public+popular media...

    ...having really read up on all the publications and asked just about everyone I know from work colleagues to friends/family then the latter (and for the record not my own) ranking would be more like:
    SF
    NTTD
    CR
    SP
    QoS

  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Posts: 3,345
    So that is basically just SF flipped with CR. I can see why, though: While CR was heaven for the fans, SF just had it all - and don't forget the power of Adele's title track all around the world.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,725
    zebrafish wrote: »
    So that is basically just SF flipped with CR. I can see why, though: While CR was heaven for the fans, SF just had it all - and don't forget the power of Adele's title track all around the world.

    Well, not for everyone. I put CR and QoS' - early Craig - if you like, firmly at the top.

    But yes SF benefitted HUGELY from the 2012 Olympic vibes, Adele, and the massive PR machine that drove it forward.
    There wasn't a film-critic or newspaper in the UK that dared to give it a mediocre review...
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited November 2021 Posts: 357
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Watched yesterday. First feeling for now after more then 12,5 hrs a go i left the cinema:

    1. QOS
    2. Spectre
    3. No Time To Die
    4. Casino Royale
    5. Skyfall

    Love this ranking. Skyfall is like the Mona Lisa; you know it’s well made and art or whatever, but once you’ve seen it you’ve seen it. ;)

    Interesting

    Is that because it all leads to the death of M, and therefore can feel like a defeat rather than a victory?

    In which case might you not feel the same about NTTD after a while? (as in, death of Bond, very harrowing and moving, but do you want to go through it all again?)

    Or was due to the dubious "character development" of M during Skyfall?

    I would feel more like watching SF again if M had been portrayed differently, but the lack of a moral compass displayed by M during the movie was such that by the end I found it hard to care about her anymore, or understand why Bond did.

    I can see QOS is the closest Craig came to a "normal" Bond movie without any personal relationship baggage.

    Spectre also had the stated intention of wanting to be more like an old school Bond movie, but ends up being side-tracked to some extent by the Brofeld angle

    But Casino Royale in 4th is hard to fathom?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,552
    Seve wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Watched yesterday. First feeling for now after more then 12,5 hrs a go i left the cinema:

    1. QOS
    2. Spectre
    3. No Time To Die
    4. Casino Royale
    5. Skyfall

    Love this ranking. Skyfall is like the Mona Lisa; you know it’s well made and art or whatever, but once you’ve seen it you’ve seen it. ;)

    Interesting

    Is that because it all leads to the death of M, and therefore can feel like a defeat rather than a victory?

    In which case might you not feel the same about NTTD after a while? (as in, death of Bond, very harrowing and moving, but do you want to go through it all again?)

    Or was due to the dubious "character development" of M during Skyfall?

    I would feel more like watching SF again if M had been portrayed differently, but the lack of a moral compass displayed by M during the movie was such that by the end I found it hard to care about her anymore, or understand why Bond did.

    I can see QOS is the closest Craig came to a "normal" Bond movie without any personal relationship baggage.

    Spectre also had the stated intention of wanting to be more like an old school Bond movie, but ends up being side-tracked to some extent by the Brofeld angle

    But Casino Royale in 4th is hard to fathom?

    Honestly, none of that stuff bothers me. The death of M, and how M was handled throughout, I liked. I agree with you about QoS and Spectre. And I agree that CR in 4th is hard to fathom, I think I just liked the ranking because so many Craig rankings are very similar, CR, SF, QOS, SP. NTTD throws a nice wrench into it too as it seems to appear all over the place for people.

    My issue with SF is that in my mind it tends to drag a bit, especially the third act. To me it feels longer than SP and NTTD. It's, like, perfectly competently made, but just lacks something intangible that to me makes it *interesting*, I guess. Hard to put my finger on it.

    My "Craig Films I Want To Watch" ranking is probably like, CR, SP, QOS, SF. But I know that SF is a better film than SP and QOS, so it's hard for me.

    I'm intentionally leaving out NTTD of my rankings until I've sit with it a bit longer, but it's high up.

  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Posts: 1,774
    Seve wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »
    LTK
    TLD

    But as with Craig films they're very close.

    I like LTK but that scene where the female companion gets to kick all the arse, while "chauffeur" Bond gets the boat ready, always sticks in my craw...

    Plus they underuse henchman Benicio Del Toro and the destruction of the very interesting looking villains lair seems rushed

    I agree that LTK's villain's lair is very interesting; some more action there would have been nice.

    And to duly give the upper hand in this thread to TLD:
    1. TLD
    2. LTK

    Lol, sorry, but I just watched LTK again the other night and I'm going to flip flop back the other way and vote LTK ahead of TLD now

    Somehow the things I criticised it for before didn't seem so bad this time around, and now my only real dislike is the truck wheelie though the fire near the end (IMO a very Rog moment)

    Also Cary Suzuki should have been used more, but sadly that's the story of his whole career...

    Oh no. Now I'll have to recruit two more TLD likers to set things right again.

    I guess you mean Cary Tagawa; well, he's been too busy setting it up for years, for Sanchez.
  • 1. SF
    2. CR
    3. NTTD
    4. SP
    5. QoS

    Overall, I think DC has had a very solid run. Two undisputed classics in his tenure, which is pretty impressive. (Of course, now that I've said that, people will start disputing. LOL)
  • My personal ranking is something like this:
    CR > QOS > SF > NTTD > SP

    However, if you asked me which films felt the most (cinematic) Bondian, I'd rank them like this:
    SF > SP > CR > QOS > NTTD

    But if you asked me which one was the best film (based on story, acting, production, etc), with my personal preferences aside and ignoring how "Bondian" they were, I feel like it should be more like:
    NTTD > CR > SF > QOS > SP
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 7,327
    I don't understand why people would label NTTD "unbondian"? In fact it follows the formula to a tee, and arguably more so than any of the other Craig films.
  • Posts: 10,790
    jobo wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would label NTTD "unbondian"? In fact it follows the formula to a tee, and arguably more so than any of the other Craig films.

    Personally I don’t understand that either. SP and NTTD are more traditionally “Bondian” than the first 3 Craig films, though it’s worth noting that does nothing for me in quality one way or another since I’m not a big fan of SP but really like NTTD.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 5,552
    I really liked NTTD and SP, so I'll put it down to a latent ability I have to detect a classic Bond film. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 6,027
    In this moment…. I’m going to be controversial, but I am evaluating from an absolutely emotional and vulnerable position. My ranking, as of this moment, is:

    (despite some flaws, the bigger, emotional plot points hit me so hard) 1/NTTD
    Followed closely (by centimetres) 2/SF
    Followed closely (by a half inch) 3/CR
    Followed (by an inch) 4/QOS

    Then… by a country mile behind these four…..
    SP….
  • Posts: 523
    SP reminds me of Moore Bond films, and NTTD reminds me Brosnan films. Neither of those qualities are positive for me smh. :-S
  • No Time to Die
    Skyfall
    Casino Royale


    Quantum of Solace




    Spectre
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Posts: 357
    marc wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

    Lol, sorry, but I just watched LTK again the other night and I'm going to flip flop back the other way and vote LTK ahead of TLD now

    Somehow the things I criticised it for before didn't seem so bad this time around, and now my only real dislike is the truck wheelie though the fire near the end (IMO a very Rog moment)

    Also Cary Suzuki should have been used more, but sadly that's the story of his whole career...

    Oh no. Now I'll have to recruit two more TLD likers to set things right again.

    I guess you mean Cary Tagawa; well, he's been too busy setting it up for years, for Sanchez.


    Doh! your right, that's the fella, what was I thinking?

    Dz0WTKmUYAArWL5.jpg

    Don't worry, next time I watch TLD my Dalton ranking will probably turn on it's head again...

  • JMPJMP
    Posts: 10
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Skyfall
    3. No Time to Die
    4. Quantum of Solace
    5. Spectre
  • 1. SF (#5)
    2. CR (#6)
    3. SP (#16)
    4. QoS (#19)
    5. NTTD (#25)
  • CR
    QoS
    SF
    NTTD
    SP
  • CR
    SF
    SP
    QoS
    NTTD
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,171
    As I've literally just got home from my first viewing of NTTD, the adrenaline and honeymoon period are still very much in full effect. So this could change over time.

    1. CR
    2. NTTD
    3. SF
    4. SP
    5. QOS

    I think after five films, Daniel Craig knocks this one out of the park. A brilliant final Bond film from a Bond actor. Wonders never cease.
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    CR
    QoS
    SF
    NTTD
    SP

    The Same for me. Big gap between the last two.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 6,027
    NTTD SF CR
    QOS



    SP
  • 1. Spectre
    2. Skyfall
    3. Quantum of Solace
    4. Casino Royale
    5. No Time to Die
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,171
    I'm adjusting mine slightly.

    1. CR
    2. NTTD
    3. SP
    4. SF
    5. QOS
  • 1. CR
    2. NTTD
    3. Skyfall
    4. Spectre
    5. QoS
  • 1. CR
    2. NTTD
    3. Skyfall
    4. Spectre
    5. QoS

    This would work for me totally if I could get over the last part of NTTD. Perhaps one day..
  • Posts: 2,264
    Mine hasn't actually changed, I think it's just kind of staggering how set in stone it has become after seeing NTTD so many times. I don't see spots 3-5 ever changing, but given that the top 2 are both also in my all-time top 25 films, it's not impossible that they could switch positions in the future.

    1. No Time to Die
    2. Casino Royale
    3. Skyfall
    4. Quantum of Solace
    5. SPECTRE
Sign In or Register to comment.