Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

we have two scenarios either a Casting next year (along with writer and director coming on board for Bond #7/Bond 26

OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

We will be thankful for the new novel fom Horowitz and the new video game from IO interactive
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »
    we have two scenarios either a Casting next year (along with writer and director coming on board for Bond #7/Bond 26

OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

We will be thankful for the new novel fom Horowitz and the new video game from IO interactive

And NTTD on BluRay of course! :)
    AceHole wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    my guess is in a year from now we will know the 7th actor for 007
    Yes, I’m willing to bet the same. And they better nail it. After all, it’ll be the 7th 007 and the 60th anniversary. And they’ve painted themselves into quite of a corner, by repeatedly stating Daniel Craig was their best Bond, and by providing the biggest clean slate in the series. All eyes are on them now.

No pressure, EON ;)

Well I for one think this may actually help the new actor to take on the mantle... DC's James VI is dead. Long live James VII

It is basically even more of a clean slate than they had before CR.
    If anything Dan has paved the way for the public and fans to accept a radically different interpretation of 007 than the predecessor offered.
    This.
    It does not guarantee a good take on Bond, but it does provide the actors and filmmakers the biggest degree of freedom since Dr No.
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Madden frequently looks too glum.

And Styles is my dark horse; he’s got charisma to spare, is steadily building his acting cred, has a good voice and is entertaining the right age range. Far fetched? Yes, but…

Yeah, stranger things have happened.

0_GettyImages-1318029871.jpg

Looks like a schoolboy...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Get him a tan , a trainer . a better haircut and three to five more years to hone his acting skills .

AS I said, my dark horse.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My wife insists that Harry Styles should be the next Bond. Don't worry... I shall 'correct' her.

FN6CLd2.gif

Grady. Delbert Grady. :-t
    I'd be fine with Madden in the role. Just get him a haircut that doesn't scream boysband. Something more European, parted on the side, slightly combed back, slightly longer. And don't let him loose all of that Scottish accent ;)
    Man, the Broccoli’s missed out on Robert Pattinson. Damn it.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Man, the Broccoli’s missed out on Robert Pattinson. Damn it.

Really? Not impressed by his acting at all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yeah, to be honest, the latest Batman trailer really ruled him out as Bond for me; too angsty teen, even for that role.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think the quote from Barbara Broccoli was that they will start thinking about the next actor in 2022. That could mean they are already working on other parts of pre-production like script, direction and so on. On the other hand, I am sure comments to the press aren't the leading source of milestones for them. They make their decisions when it suits them.

As for the question whether she has a shortlist. I am sure she has a very rough list in her head and it's probably just a reflex for her - quite similar to how it is for us - to think "could this be him?" when she sees a British actor somewhere and to kind of slot them into "fits" and "doesn't fit" to varying degrees. Plus, she probably gets comments about it everytime she talks to agents and some such. What is up in the air to me is whether and how quickly she is able to get over losing Daniel. They really seem to have a genuine connection and I wouldn't be surprised if she has (or just fears she has) trouble seeing possible replacements at face-value at the moment because of that. On the other hand, she's a pro and it's her job to get going on the next era, so they'll probably figure it out.

I wonder if she asks Craig for input...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Yes, I’m willing to bet the same. And they better nail it. After all, it’ll be the 7th 007 and the 60th anniversary. And they’ve painted themselves into quite of a corner, by repeatedly stating Daniel Craig was their best Bond, and by providing the biggest clean slate in the series. All eyes are on them now.

No pressure, EON ;)

Well I for one think this may actually help the new actor to take on the mantle... DC's James VI is dead. Long live James VII

If anything Dan has paved the way for the public and fans to accept a radically different interpretation of 007 than the predecessor offered.
    This.
    It does not guarantee a good take on Bond, but it does provide the actors and filmmakers the biggest degree of freedom since Dr No.

Exactly. How they choose to use this freedom is my greatest concern...

Babs and M.G.Wilson are renowned for being very reactionary with Bond since the reboot - CR after Bourne 1&2, QoS after Bourne Ultimatum, SF after The Dark Knight, SP & NTTD following Marvel-esque paths
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the quote from Barbara Broccoli was that they will start thinking about the next actor in 2022. That could mean they are already working on other parts of pre-production like script, direction and so on. On the other hand, I am sure comments to the press aren't the leading source of milestones for them. They make their decisions when it suits them.

As for the question whether she has a shortlist. I am sure she has a very rough list in her head and it's probably just a reflex for her - quite similar to how it is for us - to think "could this be him?" when she sees a British actor somewhere and to kind of slot them into "fits" and "doesn't fit" to varying degrees. Plus, she probably gets comments about it everytime she talks to agents and some such. What is up in the air to me is whether and how quickly she is able to get over losing Daniel. They really seem to have a genuine connection and I wouldn't be surprised if she has (or just fears she has) trouble seeing possible replacements at face-value at the moment because of that. On the other hand, she's a pro and it's her job to get going on the next era, so they'll probably figure it out.

As you say, they’re professionals, I don’t think there’s any reason to worry about getting over Craig- it’s more whether they can see a fresh direction for the series.

No pressure, EON ;)

This.

Exactly. How they choose to use this freedom is my greatest concern...

Babs and M.G.Wilson are renowned for being very reactionary with Bond since the reboot - CR after Bourne 1&2, QoS after Bourne Ultimatum, SF after The Dark Knight, SP & NTTD following Marvel-esque paths

Arguably it started much earlier with Moonraker (and to some extent LALD) ...but if the assumption that they have "done" Marvel already is correct, so much the better!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

More than anything I just think it was a situation like Cubby had with Moore in the 80s. Looking for a new 007 is difficult, plus audiences loved Moore in the role, each film was doing brilliantly at the box office, and so why change it if you can squeeze one more film out of him? They obviously pushed it too far with Moore, given the general opinion of AVTAK (I love it, but the BO was down on OP I believe). With Craig, they had an actor who audiences and critics liked, and so they hung onto him and were loyal to him (by not discussing any possible replacements at all) until it was necessary to end it.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727

As you say, they’re professionals, I don’t think there’s any reason to worry about getting over Craig- it’s more whether they can see a fresh direction for the series.

Yes. I have pretty solid faith in Babs &co. when it comes to appointing the next 007 - it is the creative team, mainly the writers, that I am weary of. P&W need to be thanked and replaced, and don't pander to populism by letting PWBridge or similar do rewrites, it convolutes.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Some really interesting input on here.

My gut feeling is that while the official line has been "we'll look in 2022." they also have a movie to promote right now and searching for a new 007 while that is out dilutes the message.

Behind closed doors, however, I've no doubt that there's been a number of questions and queries out there for quite some time. Very basic ones, but they will have been there.

I don't think she will ask Craig for input and even if she did I strongly suspect that his response would be "You've had your pound of flesh. Thanks but no thanks." Love him or hate him but he has put in the legwork for the last 15 years and it's time to let him go for both their sakes.

I've got a feeling he might continue to have a working relationship with EON on other non-Bond projects (there's that stage play coming up and with them he has an opportunity to rack up those co-producing credits while he's at it). I think there's a lot of admiration and respect there between both parties for their professional efforts.
    Even though 2022 has been designated the beginning of the search for the next Bond it’s naive to think that aren’t a number of actors on EON’s radar. Prior to Craig announcing his return, over dinner, Barbara and Cary discussed possible candidates .
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

More than anything I just think it was a situation like Cubby had with Moore in the 80s. Looking for a new 007 is difficult, plus audiences loved Moore in the role, each film was doing brilliantly at the box office, and so why change it if you can squeeze one more film out of him? They obviously pushed it too far with Moore, given the general opinion of AVTAK (I love it, but the BO was down on OP I believe). With Craig, they had an actor who audiences and critics liked, and so they hung onto him and were loyal to him (by not discussing any possible replacements at all) until it was necessary to end it.

Yes indeed, I don't think I've seen anyone criticise Craig for being too old or doing too many films with the release of NTTD: I think they judged it well.

Yes. I have pretty solid faith in Babs &co. when it comes to appointing the next 007 - it is the creative team, mainly the writers, that I am weary of. P&W need to be thanked and replaced, and don't pander to populism by letting PWBridge or similar do rewrites, it convolutes.

I'm not sure success = populism. These are Bond films after all, they're not exactly niche! :D P&W still seem fine to me, it seems to be a bit of a repeated meme that they're awful but I'm not sure why.
    Even though 2022 has been designated the beginning of the search for the next Bond it’s naive to think that aren’t a number of actors on EON’s radar.

A touch superior ;)
    Yes, Craig got out at the right time.

P&W get a bad rap and maybe some of might be deserved, but I also think they are scapegoats a lot of the time. Why are we criticising them and not PWB for example? Anything good in a script gets attributed to the co-writers or those doing the polish, and anything bad gets blamed on P&W. Seems a tad unfair.

If anyone has a problem with the general tone or direction of the series they need to have a word with Broccoli and Wilson. They are in charge. These are not writers and directors films (and all the better for it).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I think if he'd stopped at Spectre we'd all be thinking he had one more in him: this is the perfect amount, as you say.
    P&W get a bad rap and maybe some of might be deserved, but I also think they are scapegoats a lot of the time. Why are we criticising them and not PWB for example? Anything good in a script gets attributed to the co-writers or those doing the polish, and anything bad gets blamed on P&W. Seems a tad unfair.

Indeed, and on something like Skyfall they came in fairly late on someone else's script and reworked that, so it does feel like a bit of a repeated meme in that sense.
    They also seem to come up with lots of fresh ideas every time to me, even back to their first.
    If anyone has a problem with the general tone or direction of the series they need to have a word with Broccoli and Wilson. They are in charge. These are not writers and directors films (and all the better for it).

Plus of course Wilson has actually written on these films himself before: I daresay that experience means he's steering the story quite a bit too. As we've heard many times, these films are a big team effort.

Yeah I think if he'd stopped at Spectre we'd all be thinking he had one more in him: this is the perfect amount, as you say.

Indeed, and on something like Skyfall they came in fairly late on someone else's script and reworked that, so it does feel like a bit of a repeated meme in that sense.
    They also seem to come up with lots of fresh ideas every time to me, even back to their first.

Plus of course Wilson has actually written on these films himself before: I daresay that experience means he's steering the story quite a bit too. As we've heard many times, these films are a big team effort.

I am sure there are some out there who can pinpoint whose ideas were whose but I'm not clued up on that. I know Some Kind of Hero goes into this sort of thing a bit. Haven't read it recently though.
  • Clip with Madden in "Eternals":

But I also agree with P2D about him lacking charisma on screen. He's an example of an actor who is much more charismatic whilst giving interviews than he is when playing characters on screen (again, imo).

Agree, but maybe it will depend on the script (and director), too. I think he has some potential.
    well someoneI know close says its going to be a while and if it is so be it. honestly we just got 5 strong films 2 i have had to seriously reconsider .. (spectre and No time to die ave their issues BUT they are funnish)

we have the new novel and the new video game so we have plenty to enjoy

of course on the other hand Hardy could be cast tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised.
    I feel sorry for the next fella whoever that may be. They're going to know that no matter how good they are they will always play second fiddle to Barbaras beloved Daniel.
    It's funny but it seems on other boards, fans are happy to tag any actor who is young and appears somewhere wearing a smoking as the new Bond.

It's not enough to wear a suit and look the part to qualify. You have to wear the film, to carry it on your shoulders. That is what Babs and Michael are looking into next, they are not crazy.

The next Bond is going to be someone who can carry the film. Not a coat hanger who looks the part.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    Stuart Martin seems like a good candidate. Scottish. Now on Netflix's Army of Thieves.

No ideia how the man looks without a beard though. Seems to be a problem with every actor we talk about. Even Theo James rarely appears with a clean shave. I know razors are expensive and that it takes some effort and ritual for a man to keep himself shaved everyday, but these kids don't seem to have the pep or the pride.

Me? I don't even feel clean without a shave. Don't know how they manage. It's simply not honourable, it looks like idleness and lubberliness. And it's a poor way to make yourself look manly, IMO.

Speaking of Army of Thieves, Ruby O. Fee could very well play a femme fatale, and Nathalie Emmanuel the main Bond girl, maybe?
    Stuart Martin seems like a good candidate. Scottish. Now on Netflix's Army of Thieves.

No ideia how the man looks without a beard though. Seems to be a problem with every actor we talk about. Even Theo James rarely appears with a clean shave. I know razors are expensive and that it takes some effort and ritual for a man to keep himself shaved everyday, but these kids don't seem to have the pep or the pride.

Me? I don't even feel clean without a shave. Don't know how they manage. It's simply not honourable, it looks like idleness and lubberliness. And it's a poor way to make yourself look manly, IMO.

Speaking of Army of Thieves, Ruby O. Fee could very well play a femme fatale, and Nathalie Emmanuel the main Bond girl, maybe?

I think Stuart Martin has a very weak lower face and uses a beard to compensate.

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665

I think Stuart Martin has a very weak lower face and uses a beard to compensate.

You may be right ;)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    I just can’t see anyone fitting the role better than Tom Hardy. I know he’s in his 40’s, but he can dang sure act. He can do the physicality. Makes me think of Fleming’s Bond. He starred in Fury Road, and critically, that’s one of the greatest action movies ever made. I forget the name of the movie, but the entire film is him having dialogue on a phone -how many people could pull that off? I think when Craig introduced the cut, athletic physique, there’s no getting away from that I’m the future. James Bond should not have an average body. The man is a world class assassin and physicality is inevitable. Did anyone seriously look at Brosnan and say, “gosh, I wouldn’t mess with him.” And honestly, you could say that about all of the Bonds before Craig. DC left a huge imprint. Also in regards to Hardy, he has charisma to burn.