NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    matt_u wrote: »
    JamesK wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    How is killing him pure Fleming? I'm honestly curious, as Fleming himself never did it (though maybe he'd planned to?)

FRWL was the closest. He wanted to give himself the option to walk away.

Agree its close - but I don't think Fleming made it as clear in that novel as they may have done in the NTTD.

Definitely. The film is categorical. The novel never explicitly states Bond is dead.

The film ends with "James Bond will return"

IMO the film is just as "categorical" that he will survive

If you were watching the film without any outside knowledge of "internal Bond politics", which is most people, there will be likely be some confusion on that point.

It's a contradiction the audience hasn't had to deal with before, being asked to accept that it's only one actors incarnation of Bond that is dead.

However it's no less strange than having two Bonds at the same time back in in 1983, so I'm sure we'll all come to terms with it, either way, in time.

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited October 2021 Posts: 652
    I think it’s a bit much to call survival a theme of the series. Most Bond films don’t really have themes, they were just going for escapism. Which is why he always survived.

They're basically the same thing.
    "He died chasing a dream. Isn't that the way to go?"
    "I'd rather not go at all."
    The Craig era has gone for something a bit “deeper” (hate that word, sounds very pretentious, but I wasn’t sure how else to put it) and has heavily focused on themes and character beats, even at the expense of plot at times. And all of that seemed geared towards Bond dying to me, some of us had been predicting it for a while. It’s fine not to like it, but I don’t think you can dismiss all that forshadowing and accuse them of chasing trends just because you’ve seen some films recently with character deaths.

That's interesting, because the soap opera-ish nature of the last three Craig films actually makes them seem less deep to me, and more contrived, but to each his own.
    I haven’t seen Star Wars, but Bond’s death was nothing like John Connor’s imo. One was a sudden shock at the start of the film, a contrived way of continuing a story that should’ve been left in the past. While the other was the conclusion to a story that needed a closed off ending, and had made clear that Bond can never have a normal life.

I don't see why the Craig era needs a closed-off ending, especially one where they kill off his Bond. Why, to keep his family safe? Spectre is gone. Bond's enemies are all dead. Who's there to threaten his family? Eon could have written any number of endings but they chose to follow a trend instead. At least, that's how it seems to me.
    As for being replaced by a female character, Bond hasn’t been really, they’ll just reboot it next time (not sure there’s any anti-male agenda in the other examples either, it’s just your standard “passing of the torch” idea, which we see a lot of because Hollywood loves milking a franchise, coinciding with women getting more roles in action films lately).

NTTD seems to be a giant subversion of the Bond formula where Bond himself becomes the sacrificial lamb in order to atone for all the women he got killed like Solange, Fields, and Severine. So he (and Felix) dies protecting the women. It's why they gave his Bond a daughter and not a son.

The thing is, since Bond didn't directly get any of those women killed, and since they died while he was on missions to protect the (perceived) greater good, his death doesn't come off as any kind of heroic act, but rather a bitter statement derived from the feminist resentment of certain people involved in the production. Is Bond also atoning for all the men he's killed? Apparently not, since he doesn't save any.

• slide_99 wrote: »
    I think it’s a bit much to call survival a theme of the series. Most Bond films don’t really have themes, they were just going for escapism. Which is why he always survived.

The Craig era has gone for something a bit “deeper” (hate that word, sounds very pretentious, but I wasn’t sure how else to put it) and has heavily focused on themes and character beats, even at the expense of plot at times. And all of that seemed geared towards Bond dying to me, some of us had been predicting it for a while. It’s fine not to like it, but I don’t think you can dismiss all that forshadowing and accuse them of chasing trends just because you’ve seen some films recently with character deaths.

That's interesting, because the soap opera-ish nature of the last three Craig films actually makes them seem less deep to me, and more contrived, but to each his own.
    I haven’t seen Star Wars, but Bond’s death was nothing like John Connor’s imo. One was a sudden shock at the start of the film, a contrived way of continuing a story that should’ve been left in the past. While the other was the conclusion to a story that needed a closed off ending, and had made clear that Bond can never have a normal life.

I don't see why the Craig era needs a closed-off ending, especially one where they kill off his Bond. Why, to keep his family safe? Spectre is gone. Bond's enemies are all dead. Who's there to threaten his family? Eon could have written any number of endings but they chose to follow a trend instead. At least, that's how it seems to me.
    As for being replaced by a female character, Bond hasn’t been really, they’ll just reboot it next time (not sure there’s any anti-male agenda in the other examples either, it’s just your standard “passing of the torch” idea, which we see a lot of because Hollywood loves milking a franchise, coinciding with women getting more roles in action films lately).

NTTD seems to be a giant subversion of the Bond formula where Bond himself becomes the sacrificial lamb in order to atone for all the women he got killed like Solange, Fields, and Severine. So he (and Felix) dies protecting the women. It's why they gave his Bond a daughter and not a son.

The thing is, since Bond didn't directly get any of those women killed, and since they died while he was on missions to protect the (perceived) greater good, his death doesn't come off as any kind of heroic act, but rather a bitter statement derived from the feminist resentment of certain people involved in the production. Is Bond also atoning for all the men he's killed? Apparently not, since he doesn't save any.

I don't think Bond got any women killed so much as they "all ended up dead" as Blofeld puts it. So I didn't view Bond atoning for anything; rather he was finally able to protect the women in his life at the expense of himself. Considering his previous failures at doing so had haunted him, I found it to be a deeply personal closing to his character, not any kind of feminist statement.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I get that in this one they were trying to 'make a statement' or 'subvert the character', etc. but it honestly feels like what they were really tying to do is pander to the critics and maybe win an award or two rather than craft a film for fans of the world Fleming created.

I honestly don’t think they were pandering to anyone but themselves. I think they did it because they thought it’d be a thematically solid end to this era, that’s part of why I had a lot of respect for how they handled it. It seemed like a natural end to me, rather than something they did for the sake of shock value. Bond becomes the literal embodiment of ruining everything he touches (all those dead women and allies), so he has to sacrifice himself to give his kid the chance that he, Madeline, and a bunch of his baddies never had (by ensuring Madeline survives to raise her). Bond’s inability to have a normal life because of the baggage he carries from the spy world, ruined childhoods leading to more messed up recruits. I thought it all came together really well, and I think they did it because it was fitting, rather than for the sake of subversion.

As for deviating from Fleming, this may be controversial, but I honestly don’t see the source material as the be all and end all. The series never would’ve survived if they’d just stuck to the books, and he died over half a century ago. Bond would be public domain in a few years if it wasn’t for the interests of certain mega corporations, and then anyone could do anything they wanted with it. I think when a story lasts this long, and becomes this sort of cultural lightning rod, you’ve got to expect change and different takes on it. As long as the essence of the character is still there, I don’t mind them pushing Bond into new places, personally. I always imagined Bond dying eventually anyway (there’s that bit in MR, about not expecting to live to mandatory retirement age) so I had no problem seeing it myself.

This is really well said. And I have said, and felt, since first viewing of NTTD, that this was a fitting finish for Daniel Craig's Bond. It is heroic, noble, and quite appropriate. It would not work with any other Bond we have had. It completes his story arc, and I think they did it incredibly well. To have Bond die, in any way, has to be the most difficult task anybody could come up with for a Bond movie. It could have easily been mishandled by a different director, actor, or script. The story is not seamless, but it is very good and holds together well and serves the purpose of giving us this story, as a complete finish for this particular Bond. I really appreciate NTTD.

Also, I agree that Fleming as a source should not be the be all/end all of requirements. As the touchstone, yes, and there is still plenty of details to use. But bring in other elements, while still keeping it true enough as Bond - not go any Marvel superhero route, etc. EON can do that, stay on course enough. I am not slavish about Fleming, but I respect it should be at the core. I think several members want more and more Fleming, direct from the books; but I don't think that way.
    BlondeBond wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »

I don't think Bond got any women killed so much as they "all ended up dead" as Blofeld puts it. So I didn't view Bond atoning for anything; rather he was finally able to protect the women in his life at the expense of himself. Considering his previous failures at doing so had haunted him, I found it to be a deeply personal closing to his character, not any kind of feminist statement.

Exactly.
  • 9IW9IW
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    My first impression coming out of the movie was "Wow, it was amazing".

After some time has passed, I don't think it'll be in my top 5 or anything. But it's still somewhat above average.

Somewhat similar. I came out thinking "that was a really good movie." Not necessarily a great Bond movie. After letting it soak for over a week, I don't think I will see it again at the theater, will definitely stream it again at some point. Ending doesn't really bother me now. Overall, I was just a bit underwhelmed by the action and the story. At the end of the day, it is probably a top 10-13-ish Bond film for me.
    I do think the whole movie is extraordinarily good, so well done. Not just a good Bond film; I experience it as a great one. I couldn't ask for more in way of it being a beautiful, well paced, exciting with great action scenes, spot on humor, superb acting, and depth. I think it will stay in my top 10 permanently; I currently rank it higher.

Somebody wrote NTTD is: a bitter statement derived from the feminist resentment of certain people involved in the production. Is Bond also atoning for all the men he's killed? Apparently not, since he doesn't save any.
    Well. I just spotted that. Geez! Sigh ... so NO. Nope, that is not it. Not a "feminist resentment". I'll let it go at that. I agree with Jobo and BlondeBond re that comment.
    I still can't believe that the gag of Bond and Paloma having a drink mid-shootout, for how ridiculous it is on paper, works as perfectly as it does in the actual film. Talk about movie magic.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I do think the whole movie is extraordinarily good, so well done. Not just a good Bond film; I experience it as a great one. I couldn't ask for more in way of it being a beautiful, well paced, exciting with great action scenes, spot on humor, superb acting, and depth. I think it will stay in my top 10 permanently; I currently rank it higher.

Somebody wrote NTTD is: a bitter statement derived from the feminist resentment of certain people involved in the production. Is Bond also atoning for all the men he's killed? Apparently not, since he doesn't save any.
    Well. I just spotted that. Geez! Sigh ... so NO. Nope, that is not it. Not a "feminist resentment". I'll let it go at that. I agree with Jobo and BlondeBond re that comment.

That is a foolish comment indeed. So Bond doesn't bed every female he crosses paths with, and the 007 number is assigned to a woman... Feminist resentment?? Why must everything that might be squeezed into a certain box also necessarily be taken there? Sometimes, an idea is just an idea, and there's no hidden agenda.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,925
    he was finally able to protect the women in his life at the expense of himself. Considering his previous failures at doing so had haunted him, I found it to be a deeply personal closing to his character
    This is by far the best way to look at it, I think. The way Craig played it at the end would also fit with Bond himself viewing it this way. I know there's an element of projection and consolation in that interpretation, but I do think it stands up.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    he was finally able to protect the women in his life at the expense of himself. Considering his previous failures at doing so had haunted him, I found it to be a deeply personal closing to his character

Couldn't he just "successfully protect the women in his life"?

Why does it have to be "at the expense of himself"?

Are you saying Craig-Bond had some kind of Deathwish?

0823a968d88ab860293903cba4faee36.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    Venutius wrote: »
    This is by far the best way to look at it, I think. The way Craig played it at the end would also fit with Bond himself viewing it this way. I know there's an element of projection and consolation in that interpretation, but I do think it stands up.

This is my take too. You can dislike the circumstances but I struggle to see how you can dislike his actions in said circumstances.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,925
    Yes, exactly. I dislike the circumstances, I dislike the whole idea of Bond's death - but in the scenario they gave us, Bond giving his life for Madeleine and Mathilde's future, knowing that his sacrifice means that, finally, 'all the women in his life' don't 'end up dead'...well, there's more than one element of closure in that.
  • RC7RC7
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. I dislike the circumstances, I dislike the whole idea of Bond's death - but in the scenario they gave us, Bond giving his life for Madeleine and Mathilde's future, knowing that his sacrifice means that, finally, 'all the women in his life' don't 'end up dead'...well, there's more than one element of closure in that.

👍
    This ending fits very well for Craig's Bond. It does. Another one would be fun, nice, but I think not as entirely appropriate. This just feels like the end that suits him, and I like having his 00 story from beginning to end. I don't think they ever need to have Bond die in any film in the future. It's been done, and done so very well. I like that. It feels like a gift to me, a longtime Bond fan.

I think some part of me had been secretly thinking that some day they may want to show Bond dying and how on earth could they make it work? Until Craig, it made me shudder. Not that I thought of it frequently; I did not. But NTTD settles it for me, and all involved can be proud of getting that right. It was handled with respect for Bond, in a beautiful film shot with realism and symbolism, superb acting from exactly the right cast for this story, and done with integrity.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I could do without closure.

Closure happens. Like it or not, closure and taxes are the only certainties in life.
  • slide_99 wrote: »

Out of universe: the baggage. Craig’s connected mini series had a lot of baggage. Vesper, Madeline, SPECTRE, Brofeld, the realistic aesthetic (even NTTD, as old school as it is in some ways, could only push those classic Bond elements so far; compare Saffin’s base and army to Blofeld’s in YOLT). If they wanted to go a bit more fantastical next time, for example, then it would’ve felt strange to jump from the Craig era straight into a film with a flying spy car or whatever. Equally, after a few films of quite an emotional connected story, it might feel strange to jump into a standard Bond on a mission film with no emotional baggage whatsoever. Closing off the Craig era allows them a clean slate, free of any baggage or expectations.

In universe: Well, the baggage again. Just think about what the virus/nanobot thing really represents. Bond ruining everything he touches, unable to leave the baggage of the spy world behind. Spectre are dead, but who’s to say more enemies wouldn’t crawl out of the woodwork? He can’t have a normal life, as we saw from the PTS. He’d always be looking over his shoulder. And that would’ve screwed Mathilde up, same as him, same as Madeline, same as Saffin. He could’ve abandoned his family and gone back to MI6, but that wouldn’t have been very narratively satisfying.

Better to leave all that behind and start fresh imo, and I thought his death felt like a fitting way of doing that.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Apparently not, since he doesn't save any.

I found Saffin’s plot towards the end the weakest part of the film (didn’t really get it), but I’d assume the consequences of that virus getting out would be deadly for the whole world, right? So, he did save men as well as women.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Seve wrote: »
    How is killing him pure Fleming? I'm honestly curious, as Fleming himself never did it (though maybe he'd planned to?)

Agree its close - but I don't think Fleming made it as clear in that novel as they may have done in the NTTD.

Definitely. The film is categorical. The novel never explicitly states Bond is dead.

If you were watching the film without any outside knowledge of "internal Bond politics", which is most people, there will be likely be some confusion on that point.

It's a contradiction the audience hasn't had to deal with before, being asked to accept that it's only one actors incarnation of Bond that is dead.

The movie is categorical. Bond dies. End of the story. Game over. The fact that the end credits end with the classic JB will return card doesn’t mean Craig’s incarnation of Bond survived. It just means the saga will continue with a brand new Bond in the future. That’s not about opinions or points of view. That’s just reality, or accepting reality. Craig’s Bond after five adventures died. The fact that the missiles killed him shouldn’t be even discussed and I’m frankly tired of being forced to repeat the obvious.
    I think either way can be thematically valid with regard to Craig-Bond's version of the character, whether he sacrifices himself and dies, or lives to finally finds inner peace away from "The Life"

It's just a matter of personal taste which you prefer

If it's done well, I can accept it either way

I just wish I could go and see for myself...

But whether you like NTTD or not, just remember you are all more fortunate than me in NZ Level 3!

LockedOut.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    I think either way can be thematically valid with regard to Craig-Bond's version of the character, whether he sacrifices himself and dies, or lives to finally finds inner peace away from "The Life"

But whether you like NTTD or not, just remember you are all more fortunate than me in NZ Level 3!

LockedOut.jpg

Hang on, have you not seen the film?
  • JamesKJamesK Canada

The movie is categorical. Bond dies. End of the story. Game over. The fact that the end credits end with the classic JB will return card doesn’t mean Craig’s incarnation of Bond survived. It just means the saga will continue with a brand new Bond in the future. That’s not about opinions or points of view. That’s just reality, or accepting reality. Craig’s Bond after five adventures died. The fact that the missiles killed him shouldn’t be even discussed and I’m frankly tired of being forced to repeat the obvious.

Not sure if you're being forced to repeat anything, but I could be wrong...and as myself and others have pointed out, there is reason to question how they're going to frame the transition to the new Bond - whether some sort of continuation of the world they've built the last 5 movies, whether significant or minor, or a clean slate.

I certainly agree that Daniel Craig as Bond (or "Daniel Craig's Bond", if you like) is done - hard to argue that isn't true, and they will now reinvent the series.
  • JamesKJamesK Canada
    Birdleson wrote: »

Yes. We've never really had it in a Bond story before and that formula is obviously working. Why do we have to start now...
  • RC7RC7

Yes. We've never really had it in a Bond story before and that formula is obviously working. Why do we have to start now...

Because it makes sense? Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen every other film.
  • JamesKJamesK Canada

It makes sense because of the few plot elements introduced in the last few minutes of the film, which absolutely didn't have to be there. But anyways, ultimately some of us are happy with it, some of us are not. There's no right or wrong here; in my view anyway.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited October 2021 Posts: 564

LockedOut.jpg

I assume you're in Auckland. Best wishes to you from Wellington.

But by doing it, they've created a world of different 'Bonds' relative to the actor. It doesn't make sense to me, as someone who was bought up with Cubby's idea of 'no actor is bigger than James Bond'.
    Killing him off then saying he'll be back in the credits doesn't make any sense at all. And the only argument I can see for it making sense on here is - "oh, it's a reboot, like Batman/Superman/Captain Caveman or whatever, so there'll be another reboot'.
    It's all daft.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

But by doing it, they've created a world of different 'Bonds' relative to the actor. It doesn't make sense to me, as someone who was bought up with Cubby's idea of 'no actor is bigger than James Bond'.
    Killing him off then saying he'll be back in the credits doesn't make any sense at all. And the only argument I can see for it making sense on here is - "oh, it's a reboot, like Batman/Superman/Captain Caveman or whatever, so there'll be another reboot'.
    It's all daft.

Agreed. I read an IMDB review that said that the psychological effect of seeing Craig's Bond die has repercussions for the series as a whole. I'd agree with that, too. Craig's movies being a self-contained timeline isn't really the point. The point is that having any incarnation of Bond being killed off fundamentally damages the character. Each Bond actor survives to pass the baton to the next. Except Craig's. Because he's special. Or something.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 1,003
    I must say I'm surprised how many people on here don't see killing off Bond as a massive problem. I can only assume that because I'm not a superhero or sci-fi fan, that I'm somehow out of the loop in how acceptable it is these days to just ignore the plot of a previous film in a series. I always approached the Bond films as a series of movies about the same person, who was portrayed by different actors. But now I'm being asked to accept that Daniel Craig was somehow in a different reality. It's all a bit Star Trek for me I'm afraid.
    And yes, I know it's also impossible that Bond was in his fifties in 2021 and his thirties in 1962, but that stretch wasn't nearly as problematic as blowing him to smithereens on screen and then saying "it's okay, he'll be back".
    Eh? So he didn't die?
    As I've said before, how can we invest any emotion in the death scene when they'll just bring him back for the next film anyway. Is he like Wile E Coyote where he can get blown up but still survive or something?
    Beep beep!
    What bollocks!
  • JamesKJamesK Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 35
    I agree wholeheartedly with @slide_99 and @ColonelAdamski

Doesn't mean everyone needs to, but I'm definitely in that boat.

I guess Bond has never really worried to much about continuity from actor to actor, or sometimes even from film to film, but at the very least we always left him alive at the end of each novel / film (or at least with a reasonable degree of certainty he may have survived) and therefore able to return, if he so chose, to the next adventure. Choosing to kill him, if that's what they did, undermines that element of the character in my eyes.

Give it one thing, it's certainly controversial and generating discussion. Maybe the most controversial film so far.
    I assume you're in Auckland. Best wishes to you from Wellington.

Cheers