Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mtm wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Why so sure it wont be Henry Cavill @Univex ?
    Having made it too the final candidates for CR, he's obviously made an impression to EON.
    Though I'm not entirely sold he'd be the best choice.
    This list on IMDb has some interesting choices...
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls086368006/

Yeah Cavill would certainly not be an exciting choice to me and I don't think he's very good, but he's also fine. He'd do an okay job and we'd be happy enough with him.
    I would hope for someone a bit better, a bit more dynamic, but I could live with with easily enough.

I don't think I'd take it so well, lol. I'd be very disappointed. Less than fine, IMO.
  • AceHole wrote: »
    Having made it too the final candidates for CR, he's obviously made an impression to EON.

A few minor reasons...

-far too expensive
    -far too famous
    -far too an iconic role previously played
    -acting ability of a cassowary

Also, he will apparently play a lead role in Matthew Vaughn's next spy movie (Argylle) that is intended to be the first of its own series. If it is a success and that it leads to sequels, Eon won't have any interest in casting an actor that already is the star of a spy franchise.

What is interesting however is that Vaughn now seems more interested in Argylle than in Kingsman, meaning that The King's Man may only be a one-shot. If it is the case, then its lead, Harris Dickinson, would be free. Supposing Eon wants to cast a young Bond, he could be a solid contender as he is now 25.

tumblr_puqoy2TppA1w4hxg8o3_540.gifv

22692.jpg

Yeah @Univex spill the beans already ;)

7390ee0d-a3f5-43e4-81d4-25a744ab3773_text.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861

Yeah Cavill would certainly not be an exciting choice to me and I don't think he's very good, but he's also fine. He'd do an okay job and we'd be happy enough with him.
    I would hope for someone a bit better, a bit more dynamic, but I could live with with easily enough.

I don't think I'd take it so well, lol. I'd be very disappointed. Less than fine, IMO.

Yeah I wouldn't be enthused at all, but he's okay in Fallout so I guess I'd take some solace in that. I'm certainly hoping for someone a bit more interesting; fingers crossed Ms Broccoli has her eye on all of the young upcoming guys.
    AceHole wrote: »

A few minor reasons...

-far too expensive
    -far too famous
    -far too an iconic role previously played
    -acting ability of a cassowary

Also, he will apparently play a lead role in Matthew Vaughn's next spy movie (Argylle) that is intended to be the first of its own series. If it is a success and that it leads to sequels, Eon won't have any interest in casting an actor that already is the star of a spy franchise.

What is interesting however is that Vaughn now seems more interested in Argylle than in Kingsman, meaning that The King's Man may only be a one-shot. If it is the case, then its lead, Harris Dickinson, would be free. Supposing Eon wants to cast a young Bond, he could be a solid contender as he is now 25.

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing that, I can imagine if he's good in that he will make a few lists; and I don't think his doing that film would put Eon off him - very similar to Bond but still different enough I think. He could well be a top contender.
    Actually, when I said the other day that Richard Madden is the only name that has been in the press who I like for Bond, that isn't true; I was conflating that with the fact that I also think Madden is the only one of those names who has a legitimate CHANCE.

I forgot about Henry Golding, who I think would be terrific.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    I still think the next Bond will be someone NOBODY is thinking of.
    I'm not so sure about that. When Eon wanted to move from Connery, they needed the already established and popular Moore to succeed and I think the situation with Craig is pretty similar to Connery's one. An actor already known for, at least, TV works might be in the interest of Eon to better establish their new lead.

The difference there is that there was a large chunk of the audience already receptive to the idea of Moore taking over, he had been anointed by the public as eminently suitable, from playing the original "International Man Of Mystery", "The Saint"

And when Moore retired there was Brosnan in a similar position of having been acclaimed by the public as possessing Bond-like qualities

I'm not aware of anyone around today who is in a similar position?
    Henry Cavill has no track record to speak of as a Bond-like personage
    Nor Tom Hardy
    I think the odds on them taking over are about on a par with what Clive Owen's were back in the day

IMO get ready for another candidate from the ranks of the unknowns, who gave us Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig

How about a ginger beardy Bond?

redhead-ginger-27.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One I’m not entirely sure of, but could have potential. I know he’s been mentioned before.
    Max Irons
    5olbwwkct8ds.jpeg
    b38lxch3ru05.jpeg

I think Cavill's candidacy is a drawback from the Brosnan era: it would have made sense for an actor like him to succeed Brosnan, Dalton, Craig. Now it would feel by-the-number and rather meh. Especially since Cavill has grown into a rather limited actor since he was considered for CR.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    So do you think it's harder to find an actor now than it was after Brosnan? It feels like back then there were probably more obvious choices.

Out of interest did anyone correctly guess Craig? I can't see anyone doubling down on that choice back then so I'm curious if that might mean were in for an equally surprising casting for #7.
  • I think someone like Cavill, Richard Madden or Aidan Turner could attract the younger new audiences and women.
  • 131425.b6d592ef-bcb9-4823-bc69-b9c917613ab3.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413
    This guy looks cool too. Tom Cullen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    So do you think it's harder to find an actor now than it was after Brosnan? It feels like back then there were probably more obvious choices.

Out of interest did anyone correctly guess Craig? I can't see anyone doubling down on that choice back then so I'm curious if that might mean were in for an equally surprising casting for #7.

It's a good question; I don't remember anyone mentioning him. But if you watch that Sword of Honour mini series he did around DAD time I feel like it seems obvious in retrospect.
    00Heaven wrote: »

I don't know if it is harder now, but I know the pool of candidates, confirmed or speculated, seemed more promising.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    131425.b6d592ef-bcb9-4823-bc69-b9c917613ab3.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

I'm not sure why with this picture but my mind instantly went to Mr Bean. I'm sure there are more flattering pictures of Tom Cullen out there that would sway me (We all have our bad days) but this one in particular gave me a chuckle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Blimey, I wish I looked that much like Mr Bean then! :D
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 573
    Hahaha.

All joking aside. It's the suit that's doing it. He's pretty. Too pretty for me though.
    Perhaps they should do a reboot of a sexy Mr Bean? ;)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    jobo wrote: »

I don't know whether I'm intrigued or disgusted. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Well, he has the look. So that's the first hurdle cleared. Is there anything you could recommend to see him in?

Well, he has the look. So that's the first hurdle cleared. Is there anything you could recommend to see him in?

Downton Abbey. Quite good, he is.
  • Unconventional pick, but I think Daniel Kaluuya could be a good choice. I could see him as a modern Moore type gentleman Bond, but he’s also got the chops to make sure that it wouldn’t feel like a step down from DC, I think the depth would still be there.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    Unconventional pick, but I think Daniel Kaluuya could be a good choice. I could see him as a modern Moore type gentleman Bond, but he’s also got the chops to make sure that it wouldn’t feel like a step down from DC, I think the depth would still be there.

here-we-go-joker.gif

(Ignore this post, I just feel the need to vent it out, being a non racist liberal who defends intelectual property. But do keep suggesting fringe candidates from other racial backgrounds who don't correspond to the phenotypical depiction of the literary character at all, so people will ignite and have endless discussions about it... Oh, who cares anymore?)
    Univex wrote: »
    Unconventional pick, but I think Daniel Kaluuya could be a good choice. I could see him as a modern Moore type gentleman Bond, but he’s also got the chops to make sure that it wouldn’t feel like a step down from DC, I think the depth would still be there.

here-we-go-joker.gif

(Ignore this post, I just feel the need to vent it out, being a non racist liberal who defends intelectual property. But do keep suggesting fringe candidates from other racial backgrounds who don't correspond to the phenotypical depiction of the literary character at all, so people will ignite and have endless discussions about it... Oh, who cares anymore?)

You realize you bring it on yourself with stupid remarks like this, right? You had the option of saying nothing and chose not to. Don't start whining again when the backlash comes.
  • Univex wrote: »

here-we-go-joker.gif

I mean, I don’t care mate, I’ve made my position on Bond’s race perfectly clear over the years. You’re welcome to disagree, and that’s fine, but I’m not going to stop suggesting actors I like for it because some people disagree with me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »

here-we-go-joker.gif

+1

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Leaving aside the whole debate about Bond's race for a second....

I'm likely in the minority on Kaluuya but beyond Get Out, which he was great in, I've found him an irritating presence on screen. As a result, I've enjoyed him more in villainous parts (like Widows, where he's supposed to be hated).

So it would depend on the direction he gets.
    jobo wrote: »

=))
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    The racial debate is only a debate for the sake of it. It ignites things the wrong way, as this thread has so constantly proven, and I pointed that out and someone called my remark stupid. This was the remark I believe @StirredNotShaken said it was stupid:

"(...) keep suggesting fringe candidates from other racial backgrounds who don't correspond to the phenotypical depiction of the literary character at all, so people will ignite and have endless discussions about it..."

If this is stupid. Then I'm out of this debate, for your joy and comfort. But bear in mind, @StirredNotShaken, that I truly feel you didn't understand the cautionary nature of my post. If I went to Indiana Jones forums and constantly said Indy should be played by an asian actor, I'd be called a troll. These days, it seems Bond is open ground for every agenda to be fought. And I wish that simply people would understand and respect the original intelectual property and material, and allowed for an heterosexual male caucasian character to persist without calling that a racist movement by the producers or some "elitist" "purists" fans.

Now if that's stupid, then I'm out.

And you know what, if everybody's right, then no one's wrong, and if everybody's wrong, then no one's right. But I guess that's the motto these days. So why bother, and who cares? Nihilism at its most fallacious form.

But do cary on. I'm just "stupid".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Moving on..

He's a brilliant actor but I haven't seen him play a part like that, I can't quite see it at the moment. I feel like he's maybe on a path to more worthy stuff too, although I know he did a little role in Black Panther.
    lol. But of course.

That's all.