Are you happy to see the DB5 return in B25?

167891012»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Getafix wrote: »
    I thought it went out in a blaze of glory in GF

Is Thunderball next on your list to catch up with? :D
    Not a huge TB fan
    I came back from the cinema and I must say that I really enjoyed what they done with Aston Martin DB5 in NTTD.
    Great car chase and cool gadgets. What else could I ask for? :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    YES! Loved seeing the DB5.
    Nice clip in here, which many of you have already seen ...
    https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/producers-used-five-aston-martin-db5-stunt-cars-to-make-no-time-to-die/
  • I think the DB5 has been used too frequently recently. Still, I liked it in NTTD because now for the first time in decades it was involved in an action scene again.
    I always enjoy seeing it. The action scenes in NTTD are outstanding. I love the whole sequence in Italy with the DB5.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I always enjoy seeing it. The action scenes in NTTD are outstanding. I love the whole sequence in Italy with the DB5.

It is probably the best DB5 sequence in the entire series.
    Oh I think it is; yes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agreed. It s outstanding.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 299
    Now I hope that DB5 will come back in future James Bond movies.
    Of course with style.
    And some gadgets.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The iconography of the DB5 racing through Matera is undoubtedly one of the highlights of the series.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    only two db5 were real in the chase, all the damaged ones are replicas.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I'm probably in the minority but I don't care for the DB5 and it's ridiculous gadget-laden chase, although the Matera sequences are beautifully filmed and I'm not faulting the action or direction. But jamming in the DB5 again (I don't rate SF as highly as most) just feels jarring and out of place for Craig's tenure... didn't he win it in a poker game in Nassau in this 007 universe..???

Using the V8 Vantage in a similar way to the DBS in QoS' pre-title-sequence would have been far more fitting for Craig's arc. Who cares that it was the DB5 that went off into the sunset at the end of SP - it's not as if EoN has been particularly fussed about maintaining tone and continuity :|
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    only two db5 were real in the chase, all the damaged ones are replicas.

Yeah it is amazing how they did that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I wasn't overly keen on the idea of it returning but it ended up being one of the highlights of the movie. I honestly wouldn't have minded if that sequence was a bit longer, that's how much fun it was!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,311
    I wasn't overly keen on the idea of it returning but it ended up being one of the highlights of the movie. I honestly wouldn't have minded if that sequence was a bit longer, that's how much fun it was!

Yes, I am with you on that. I would imagine that once it was decided to make a fifth film that concentrated on Bond and Madeleine, it flowed naturally to pick them up again where we left them at the end of SP. Hence we got a PTS with the DB5 in its fullest glory ever. For me, the entire action sequence, including the bike stunt, epitomizes BOND!

Now for the next film, there needs to be a fresh start to it. I would not think that any director thinks he/she can top the NTTD DB5 scene, so we will not see that car for a while. Unfortunately, as long as Aston Martin is linked to the franchise, there is no chance the Lotus would reappear (with a couple of new tricks up his bumpers). Therefore one would expect the TLD V8 to reappear sooner or later alongside the newest (electric) AM models. I am sure Bond's V8, which is now Madeleine's, has a couple of clones somewhere in Q's vaults.
  • I think NTTD had the best usage of the DB5 since GF.

That being said, let's see the 1969 DBS make a return in 26. That is now the only classic AM to not make a reappearance in the modern era.

With all the OHMSS-NTTD connections, I'm kind of surprised it was the V8 Vantage used instead of the DBS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think NTTD had the best usage of the DB5 since GF.

That being said, let's see the 1969 DBS make a return in 26. That is now the only classic AM to not make a reappearance in the modern era.

With all the OHMSS-NTTD connections, I'm kind of surprised it was the V8 Vantage used instead of the DBS.

Yeah I agree there; I love the V8 but even while watching it I thought that the DBS would have been a better fit: it’s more classically beautiful and pure and even apart for the OHMSS connection I think it would have worked better at the end. Still, I love the V8 so I’m not going to complain!

We have V8 instead of DBS from OHMSS because Cary Joji Fukunaga during his visit in Aston Martin office saw this car and liked it very much.

(around 13 min.47 sec.)

I like the V8 too so I’m also not going to complain.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    I absolutely adore the DB5, most beautiful car ever built in my opinion.