NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

Yes, but this was not the Mallory from SF and SP. And their relationship wasn't the same either. But hey, maybe the man got offended by Bond's departure, and maybe they fell off, and he fell off, and unto the wagon, I might add, seeing he now drank more that Barbara Mawdsley, and that's saying something.

BTW, anyone else thinks Bond was depicted as somewhat of an alcoholic in this one? Loved that he got himself two drinks as he entered the room with Nomi.
    ertert wrote: »
    Trying to inject some positivity in this thread after reading 80 pages of mostly negative responses.

Well I saw in IMAX last night. It was incredible. Loved how colorful and vibrant everything was. Seriously what a beautiful film. The soundtrack was booming and suited the film so well. and wow, what an ending.

I loved Safin, he was very creepy. I loved how Madeline's assistant says "he's weird".

Still putting together my thoughts as it was so much to take in. I thought Blofeld was excellent and was properly unhinged compared to his more understated performance in Spectre.

Craig blew me away. I was not prepared for how powerful his performance would be.
    Everything about this film screamed energy and vibrancy. There was so much life in it compared to how muted and low-key Spectre was.

They really went all out this time and fully delivered. Fukunaga and co. knocked it out of the park. Time will tell if it beats Skyfall as my favorite but they are completely different films I find it hard to compare. NTTD has so much more going on than the extremely simple Skyfall.

The way they built the tension throughout was so well-done, especially in the Norway sequences. I was on the edge of my seat during that car chase.

I really hope it isn't another 5 years before the next one and that they get their act together and get things moving rather quickly. I'm ready for a completely clean slate next time and I look forward to what comes next.

I understand that expectations were sky high after the long wait and that this is a very divisive film but good lord people emailing Eon is just childish and embarrassing. No one is going to read that or care at all. Vote with your dollars if you hate the film. That's what actually makes an impact. I really hope there isn't any online mobbing of Cary like there was with Rian Johnson after The Last Jedi.

I sure hope there is no online mobbing of Cary. I want him to direct the next film!
  • DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    I saw it last night, and will now require roughly 23 more viewings to become emotionally okay with them killing James Bond for the first time. I adored the film overall, the direction, cinematography, dynamic action (the entire Cuba sequence is 10/10), but that ending gut punch is all I can think about. Watching Skyfall will hit so different knowing the end of Craig's story.

I also don't truly understand why Safin planned on killing a huge chunk of the population? I guess he was targeting other people he thought were evil? Who knows, that wasn't explained really at all.

Overall though, I'm a fan. Was fun to watch, had a tonne of personality, and kept me gripped throughout

JK, the gunbarrel had no blood. 0/10
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, Mallory was at that time at least drinking a tad too much. Why?
    As Bond put it succinctly at one point: "Mallory, what have you done?" ... Mallory feeling a bit responsible for accidentally promoting potential death of millions. A bit heavy guilt and stress weight on him just then. I liked the scenes with Mallory in NTTD.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    thetruth wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Trying to inject some positivity in this thread after reading 80 pages of mostly negative responses.

The haters are just way more vocal since the ending really triggered them but the overall response inhere isn’t negative. Anyway, glad you like it!

Yes, people who dislike the film are "triggered". Let's have a more mature discussion please, rather than a war between "sycophantic fanboys" and "triggered haters".

Mature? Lol I’m not the one who feels violated or betrayed because EoN killed off Bond in order to end a self contained story arc. That ending triggered a lot of people inhere, that’s a fact. Tons of posts in this thread proved it.

It seems they're not the only ones who've been triggered. Don't take the discussion so seriously.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Birdleson wrote: »
    thetruth wrote: »

The haters are just way more vocal since the ending really triggered them but the overall response inhere isn’t negative. Anyway, glad you like it!

Yes, people who dislike the film are "triggered". Let's have a more mature discussion please, rather than a war between "sycophantic fanboys" and "triggered haters".

Mature? Lol I’m not the one who feels violated or betrayed because EoN killed off Bond in order to end a self contained story arc. That ending triggered a lot of people inhere, that’s a fact. Tons of posts in this thread proved it.

"Proves"? Knock it off.

What? There’s a guy who wrote endless posts about how “Bond can’t be dead”. At least ten users had a first reaction so negative about Bond dying that they wanted to skip it. Some, perhaps, persevered. Someone wrote that NTTD’s ending ruined the entire franchise for him. Without mentioning a lot of similar, very, very, very disappointed and frustrated reactions after Bond’s fate leaked even before seeing the thing. Lot of people inhere just hated the concept and some reacted pretty bad. Those are facts. I’m not judging. I’m just reporting what happened.
    Univex wrote: »

I'm not a hater, far from it, but I did find many faults in almost 2/3 of the film, and the ending was NOT one of them.

I'll probably enjoy it more in the 2nd viewing, although I already knew all the spoilers before my 1st, and was nonetheless eagerly waiting to enjoy the entirety of the film.

I didn't like M's characterisation, Blofeld and Spectre's easy dismissal, the interrogation scene and the conversation in M's office acting by Craig (he was faultless in the rest of the film, though), the confusion/convolution between "poisons" and "nanobots", Bond's daughter being so prominent in the 3rd act, and I'll never be crazy about the film's title and song, despite them fitting the film well, I just don't like them by themselves.

But If they wanted to kill off Bond, this was the way to do it. Well done to that. Even though I had to process it for a while, emotionally, I mean, because logically, it makes sense. I don't get it how so many don't get it. James Bond dies. New James Bond and James Bond reality beings. Easy enough.

Perhaps NTTD won’t ever be one of your personal favorites but I think that after a few more views you’ll find more things to enjoy!
  • Anyway I've had my cathartic week of commenting on here to vent my spleen, so I think I'm over what I consider the latest disappointing film in the series, may watch again when on streaming for free. Maybe I'm in a minority or not, who cares, but I've found the usual hostility from the "sycophantic Fanboys" (Thanks for that @thetruth) trying to force anyone off the site who disagrees with them, so this isn't you pushing me away it's my choice, your becoming as boring as the second half of NTTD.

I, unlike some, don't bear a grudge, so farwell for now & take care all, see you & who ever's still around in however long it takes the slackers at EON to make the next movie.

BBFN. >:)
    Yes, definitely learn which posters consistently post things that bother you and ignore the post as soon as you see who it's from. I've survived years on this fine forum ONLY due to that acquired skill. ;)
    Perhaps NTTD won’t ever be one of your personal favorites but I think that after a few more views you’ll find more things to enjoy!

I do hope so, Mr. Roark ;) Counting on it, actually.
    I do find "fanboy" and "fangirl" insulting. So let's knock that off too, okay?
    I assumed that Mallory’s drinking was a callback to the real-life Bernard Lee. IDK though.
    Bond does a lot of drinking in this film. Over compensating for the lack of gratuitous bonks imho
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Don't read the posts of the posters that annoy you. So many of us get by just fine doing that. Unfortunately, I man not always able to be in that position.

@Birdleson thank you for being one of the senior members of these boards and a knowledgeable fan. Bond fans should have "licence" to different views and yours is most welcome.

But I do genuinely feel awful for those who waited so long for this film only to be disappointed in it. I can only imagine.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I do find "fanboy" and "fangirl" insulting. So let's knock that off too, okay?

They are because they imply someone is reacting to something with no real judgment while being driven only by his/her obsession for the subject…
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Don't read the posts of the posters that annoy you. .
    Which of course only works once you have determined those posters' identity and recognize them. Still you might be missing some sensible and reasonable remarks they might have made in their more enlightened moments.

And the entire concept doesn't really work with new posters whose screen name seems unfamiliar.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Still trying to understand how they went with NTTD as the title when we clearly know what happens at the end. Or is it supposed to be sheer irony?
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Still trying to understand how they went with NTTD as the title when we clearly know what happens at the end. Or is it supposed to be sheer irony?

I've only started to like it when I thought about it being ironic ;)
    Haha oh wow so much infighting now that the film has been released.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    Haha oh wow so much infighting now that the film has been released.

Infighting? I think members are actually reacting quite well, considering the divisive nature of the material. This could be very worse. Remember a couple of gaslighting members from the production thread last year? That was far worse.

It's fine. It's all fine.

The film's a beast, a mammoth, and a miracle, considering its production, at least on that we all agree :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I just took it that M knew full well what he'd done with Heracles and that's why he'd turned to the grog.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I loved how pissy Bond was toward M and the dangerous situation. The man wasn't his superior anymore.
    This movie will divide viewers100 years from now.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,921
    I loved how prickly Bond was toward M and the dangerous situation M created. The man wasn't his superior anymore; Bond owed him no deference.

And I'm pretty sure Craig and Fiennes enjoyed playing new dimensions of their characters.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    This movie will divide viewers100 years from now.

Perhaps. I will forever be reminded of the circumstances of its release and its connection to the pandemic.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Most film goers are not genuine fans so won't care Bond is dead. As I mentioned earlier in this thread... a true fan has an emotional connection to the source material. For example Rian Johnson was not a true Star Wars fan. He got to direct Star Wars ep 8 and decided Luke was to toss away his lightsaber as if were chewing gum. Any true fan would know that was disrespectful to the source material

Really? The same Luke who tossed his lightsaber away and declared himself a Jedi at the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI?

Lol, whatever buddy.

What scene is that? I thought Luke was Jedi at the start of ROTJ when he easily manages to break into Jabba's Palace to rescue Han.

Do you have a time mark for your comment? I'll be happy to check out the scene and report back. Pardon my going off topic.
    If we get into SW territory, this thread will be lost. Keep it Bondian, gentleman. Remember, manners maketh...oh, right, different film :D
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I loved how prickly Bond was toward M and the dangerous situation M created. The man wasn't his superior anymore; Bond owed him no deference.

Here it made sense and I bought it. In SP it made no sense at all, Bond came off as a whiny brat in that opening post-Credit scene.

I agree, it worked much better here. In SP I think it was probably an unfortunate hangover from an earlier draft of the script, that they completely overlooked. At one point, Mallory was meant to have C’s role in the story iirc, and be revealed as a SPECTRE member (Fiennes vetoed the idea). Bond’s mistrust of him probably made more sense in that draft.

I think NTTD handled the regulars better across the board. They were all used just the right amount, and they all had something to do to keep the story going (rather than just the obligatory post PTS office scenes), but this time it felt much more natural, and it didn’t slow the action down.
    Everybody already seen this? Anyway, here you go. Not to digress a lot; just thought you all may enjoy this one.
    Good old George. Still the man who starred in the best film in the series ;)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    "hater" seems a rather dismissive way to disregard people with problems and questions regarding the film. Does everything have to be a subtle poke or dig? I do not get the appeal of even attempting to make another feel stupid, "less" or guilty for their thoughts on a movie.

Yes, but you also once famously went on a tirade about how you want Madeleine and "the chick 00" to die, die, die (January 2020, look it up) so you're hardly the moral compass to preach.