NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 3,160
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Now can we get back to:

They're not going back to this. The subversion is only going to get worse, especially if this movie makes a ton of cash.
    I know. It is wishful thinking. It's only for Tarantino and Clint Eastwood movies. In Eastwoods latest he is 91, and the much younger women, all just want to sleep with him, while he curses at some of them. The tagline even reads that he "finds redemption through teaching the boy what it means to be a good man", :-) :-)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 573
    DCisared wrote: »
    It's just dawned on me how they went to all that effort to create Bond's Jamaican home for such little screen time ha. I applaud the attention to detail though!

If you read my post in the Production Thread from a few days ago I managed to identify a shed load of books that they had for that set. I love the details. Truly fascinating. Still disappointed we didn't get to see his CD collection (in the images I managed to blow up from an article online they were clearly there but unreadable).

Would love more official Jamaica images like that but alas I think those were the last.
    Yeah but what about A Reason to Die..?

Holy cow. Talk about giving the game away with that one. Glad they didn't name it that.
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    edited October 2021 Posts: 43
    Finally saw it last night in IMAX. What a hungry man's feast of a movie. I certainly got my money's worth.

Magnificent performance from Craig. He gets to laugh. He gets to cry. He gets to say "I love you." The Jamaica and London scenes were among my favorites as a result of that. After the past few performances of stoic one-liners, it felt more 3-dimensional, it was refreshing seeing him act like, well, a GUY again. The interrogation scene is the only bit that doesn't work--and it really doesn't work--but if that's what got me the most riled, great success.

The supporting cast, great. I adored Nomi (aside from one really awful line that is hardly Lynch's fault), Ralph Fiennes gets a meatier role, and Billy Magnussen was such a hoot. I'm really amazed at how easily I warmed up on Madeleine. VERY on the fence about Valdo. Some bits made me laugh, others made me cringe hard. Certainly could've taken another pass on that area of the script.

Safin is the only part of this feast that's really undercooked, and I'm sure certain portions of his character ended up on the cutting room floor. He's serviceable (and creepy) enough. The "if you don't want my protection" scene got a big laugh from my crowd, but I kind of liked it. He's a sad, weird, neglected geek trying to play house and almost forgetting the steps.

Fukunaga. Sandgren. What a beautiful looking movie. So stylish. And the action speaks for itself. The opening car chase, CUBA, the Norway sequence, the one-take on the stairs...these will no doubt go down as some of the best thrills this series has to offer.

I don't seek out spoilers (I found out via YouTube recommended videos of all places) but my policy on them has always been "if it's done well, it won't matter whether I know it's coming or not." I knew the ending was coming. Still got weepy. Is it the absolute best execution? No. Does it still play? It did for me!

What a final shot. What a sendoff for Craig. So worth the wait.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    00Heaven wrote: »
    It's just dawned on me how they went to all that effort to create Bond's Jamaican home for such little screen time ha. I applaud the attention to detail though!

If you read my post in the Production Thread from a few days ago I managed to identify a shed load of books that they had for that set. I love the details. Truly fascinating. Still disappointed we didn't get to see his CD collection (in the images I managed to blow up from an article online they were clearly there but unreadable).

Would love more official Jamaica images like that but alas I think those were the last.

Holy cow. Talk about giving the game away with that one. Glad they didn't name it that.

I bet his CD collection would be full of Beatles albums ;) Craig is from Liverpool afterall
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 573
    jobo wrote: »

I bet his CD collection would be full of Beatles albums ;) Craig is from Liverpool afterall

Pfft. Well, Bond hates the Beatles as I'm sure you know ;) . But I did identify this book which I thought was hilarious:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Longest-Cocktail-Party-Insiders-Million-dollar/dp/1841956023
    jobo wrote: »

Pfft. Well, Bond hates the Beatles as I'm sure you know ;) . But I did identify this book which I thought was hilarious:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Longest-Cocktail-Party-Insiders-Million-dollar/dp/1841956023

Haha, that's brilliant :D ;))
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    jabali wrote: »
    What a sendoff for Craig. So worth the wait.

Agreed! 100%!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The stair well scene near the end was awesome, I was on the edge of my seat.

Me too. Gripping action sequence!
    Sorry to interject. I’m just watching the hall of fame star feed. Wtf is DC wearing? I’m his age and shape and I would no sooner sport a grey double breasted suit than, well, anything really. And a black tie ffs. Awful. And I rate him for so many things. The trousers don’t even fit. Though that in Hollywood is not unusual. Jiminy cricket what a waste.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    So now that Bond's dust is literally settling... I remember way back when they hadn't quite announced the title yet that they were considering "Genome of a Woman."

Suddenly that all makes sense.

OMG, you are right!

I don't know why they didn't just call it All The Time in the World.
  • Was I the only one who was slightly disappointed that in Cuba Paloma didn’t touch her ear piece so Bond could say “Stop touching your ear!”. It would have played into Paloma’s inexperience.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I remember that A Reason to Die was attached to this film right up until the night of April 24 2019, but was dropped on the eve of the press event in Jamaica. So that one was scary close.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    muzz100 wrote: »
    Sorry to interject. I’m just watching the hall of fame star feed. Wtf is DC wearing? I’m his age and shape and I would no sooner sport a grey double breasted suit than, well, anything really. And a black tie ffs. Awful. And I rate him for so many things. The trousers don’t even fit. Though that in Hollywood is not unusual. Jiminy cricket what a waste.

Yeah, that was my take away as well. DC normally looks good in just about anything. But this wasn't his finest fashion hour..
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Sorry to interject. I’m just watching the hall of fame star feed. Wtf is DC wearing? I’m his age and shape and I would no sooner sport a grey double breasted suit than, well, anything really.

Double-breasted jackets - just say no, kids.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Sorry to interject. I’m just watching the hall of fame star feed. Wtf is DC wearing? I’m his age and shape and I would no sooner sport a grey double breasted suit than, well, anything really.

Double-breasted jackets - just say no, kids.

Yep, double-breasted jackets are for grown men not for kids.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Was I the only one who was slightly disappointed that in Cuba Paloma didn’t touch her ear piece so Bond could say “Stop touching your ear!”. It would have played into Paloma’s inexperience.

My reading of the scene is that when Paloma says she is inexperienced, it's specifically in regards to running a field operation, but that she is expertly trained in fighting and firearms, and has probably worked with earpieces before.
    This film will certainly split opinions among bond fans. I saw the film two days ago and whilst I was initially left shell shocked by the ending, I have now more or less come to terms with it. I would encourage anyone in doubt about seeing the film to take the dive and do it. There were weak points to the film but on the positive side we saw dimensions of Bond that we've never been seen before which made the film interesting. Personally as a father, I don't understand why Bond didn't leave the island with madeleine and mathilde. This could have solidified the fact that he found something more important than work, whilst also acknowledging that it was time to hand over control to a new generation of MI6. Nomi certainly came across as a capable agent but no one would ever replace James Bond and the "it's only a number scene" was perfect between the two. I was close to tears myself like many others only because I felt Bond deseved that happy ending he'd been searching for.
    HOWEVER: At the end of the day, I think it's best to view this film only as the culmination of DC's 5 film interpretation of the character. He's my favourite Bond by far and has added so much depth to the character it's unreal. Above all else, "James Bond will Return" and he may potentially be better.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I'm glad they didn't do the joke again, as we already got the callback in Skyfall, but if they were gonna do it, I would've done it in reverse. So, for example, Bond hears Blofeld over the earpiece after they've patched in, and touches his ear out of confusion, and then it's Paloma who says "stop touching your ear." Again, I think bringing back the joke would've been unnecessary, but it might be have been another fun way of addressing how Bond hasn't been on a mission in just over five years.
    Trying to inject some positivity in this thread after reading 80 pages of mostly negative responses.

Well I saw in IMAX last night. It was incredible. Loved how colorful and vibrant everything was. Seriously what a beautiful film. The soundtrack was booming and suited the film so well. and wow, what an ending.

I loved Safin, he was very creepy. I loved how Madeline's assistant says "he's weird".

Still putting together my thoughts as it was so much to take in. I thought Blofeld was excellent and was properly unhinged compared to his more understated performance in Spectre.

Craig blew me away. I was not prepared for how powerful his performance would be.
    Everything about this film screamed energy and vibrancy. There was so much life in it compared to how muted and low-key Spectre was.

They really went all out this time and fully delivered. Fukunaga and co. knocked it out of the park. Time will tell if it beats Skyfall as my favorite but they are completely different films I find it hard to compare. NTTD has so much more going on than the extremely simple Skyfall.

The way they built the tension throughout was so well-done, especially in the Norway sequences. I was on the edge of my seat during that car chase.

I really hope it isn't another 5 years before the next one and that they get their act together and get things moving rather quickly. I'm ready for a completely clean slate next time and I look forward to what comes next.

I understand that expectations were sky high after the long wait and that this is a very divisive film but good lord people emailing Eon is just childish and embarrassing. No one is going to read that or care at all. Vote with your dollars if you hate the film. That's what actually makes an impact. I really hope there isn't any online mobbing of Cary like there was with Rian Johnson after The Last Jedi.

I might add that when I spent a day from my office watching DC - literally - walk in and out of a bookshop while filming Enduring Love, I had a mtm 3 button mid grey single breasted from Roderick Charles hanging on the back of the door, lilac silk lining. Let’s not speak of the intervening 20 years save to say he’s got no excuse for being so badly attired, a mere, what, $50m later, and he doesn’t have to pay for his own tailoring
    ertert wrote: »
    Trying to inject some positivity in this thread after reading 80 pages of mostly negative responses.

The haters are just way more vocal since the ending really triggered them but the overall response inhere isn’t negative. Anyway, glad you like it!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Most film goers are not genuine fans so won't care Bond is dead. As I mentioned earlier in this thread... a true fan has an emotional connection to the source material. For example Rian Johnson was not a true Star Wars fan. He got to direct Star Wars ep 8 and decided Luke was to toss away his lightsaber as if were chewing gum. Any true fan would know that was disrespectful to the source material

Really? The same Luke who tossed his lightsaber away and declared himself a Jedi at the end of RETURN OF THE JEDI?

Lol, whatever buddy.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm glad they didn't do the joke again, as we already got the callback in Skyfall, but if they were gonna do it, I would've done it in reverse. So, for example, Bond hears Blofeld over the earpiece after they've patched in, and touches his ear out of confusion, and then it's Paloma who says "stop touching your ear." Again, I think bringing back the joke would've been unnecessary, but it might be have been another fun way of addressing how Bond hasn't been on a mission in just over five years.
    That would have been quite fun. I didn’t need the joke I just thought that was the direction they were going and was slightly disappointed they didn’t go with it. It also would have been a line that probably would have gone over a lot of people heads, especially people who aren’t as familiar with Craig’s films as we are. I just thought it would be a nice continuous gag that keeps cropping up throughout Craig’s run.

• matt_u wrote: »

The haters are just way more vocal since the ending really triggered them but the overall response inhere isn’t negative. Anyway, glad you like it!

Yes, people who dislike the film are "triggered". Let's have a more mature discussion please, rather than a war between "sycophantic fanboys" and "triggered haters".
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    matt_u wrote: »

Haters are always more vocal. Just check the reviews of items on Amazon. It's always those that dislike something that overwhelmingly comment on it, even when 50 or 100 times the number of people are quite satisfied. But most don't bother to write a comment just to confirm that a product is as expected. And why should they, actually...at least unless the product is outstanding beyond expectations.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »

Haters are always more vocal. Just check the reviews of items on Amazon. It's always those that dislike something that overwhelmingly comment on it, even when 50 or 100 times the number of people are quite satisfied. But most don't bother to write a comment just to confirm that a product is as expected. And why should they, actually...at least unless the product is outstanding beyond expectations.

On Amazon you get people who are paid to leave great reviews.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665

I'm not a hater, far from it, but I did find many faults in almost 2/3 of the film, and the ending was NOT one of them.

I'll probably enjoy it more in the 2nd viewing, although I already knew all the spoilers before my 1st, and was nonetheless eagerly waiting to enjoy the entirety of the film.

I didn't like M's characterisation, Blofeld and Spectre's easy dismissal, the interrogation scene and the conversation in M's office acting by Craig (he was faultless in the rest of the film, though), the confusion/convolution between "poisons" and "nanobots", Bond's daughter being so prominent in the 3rd act, and I'll never be crazy about the film's title and song, despite them fitting the film well, I just don't like them by themselves.

But If they wanted to kill off Bond, this was the way to do it. Well done to that. Even though I had to process it for a while, emotionally, I mean, because logically, it makes sense. I don't get it how so many don't get it. James Bond dies. New James Bond and James Bond reality beings. Easy enough.
    I'd also like to point out that I thought Ralph Fiennes was magnificent. He almost reminded me of Voldemort when he was angry with Bond, particularly when he said "you are irrelevant!". I could almost see him becoming the villain.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    thetruth wrote: »

Yes, people who dislike the film are "triggered". Let's have a more mature discussion please, rather than a war between "sycophantic fanboys" and "triggered haters".

Mature? Lol I’m not the one who feels violated or betrayed because EoN killed off Bond in order to end a self contained story arc. That ending triggered a lot of people inhere, that’s a fact. Tons of posts in this thread proved it.
    “ and I'll never be crazy about the film's title and song.”

Given how essential the music has been to Bond for me, I find it very hard to accept how peripheral the theme tunes have become since CR. Yes, they’re by current artists, but they’re truly atrocious as Bond themes. Unspeakably, sorry, limp and uninspiring.