NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• 00Heaven wrote: »
    Apologies if this is already covered... Did anyone spot Michael G Wilson's cameo?

Yes, the bit where Bond enters the Spectre party in Cuba.. As he walks through MGW is staring right at him in the left side of the shot.

Thanks. Thought it was probably in that scene.
    Great posts just above, thank you. I’m still upset though :(. Can’t decide whether to see it again tomorrow (bargain Monday, kids).
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    00Agent wrote: »
    Had my first viewing at the Albert Hall on premiere night which was a mindblowing experience, but i struggled with the ending for days, couldn't stop thinking about it. Didn't really get it either.

But on second watch, on Friday in my home cinema, it completely clicked. You need to see the movie with the ending in mind to understand the structure, and the heroes journey. That way it makes sense, and i wasn't even sad at the end. It's easily the most profound ending to a Bond film ever (which obviously isn't saying much really), and it's uplifting in a way. I definitly felt much better about it this time.
    In his final moments, James Bond realizes what matters most to him in life, and what all this "jumping and fighting" was about, he's fully realized as a character, the hero's journey is complete. Narratively there is nowhere left to go. Daniel plays it confidently and self assured, he is not a victim of his circumstances. He makes a decision here.

If he can't live with what he treasures most (and he knows that life from Jamaica), he rather goes out in a blaze of glory, as he always knew he would (and secretly strived for in Flemings writing). It's an exclamation mark of an ending to his Bond and very fitting to Craigs tenure in my opinion. But since this is uncharted territory, it's natural that it will divide and piss off a lot of people... for a while at least.

I'm not bothered by the dying part anymore because i see it more as a metaphor, James Bond has fullfilled his purpose and completed his journey. You couldn't have him drive off into the sunset with Madeline once more, if you prefer that ending you can watch Spectre and pretend that NTTD never happened.

How did you manage to watch it in your home cinema?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Had my first viewing at the Albert Hall on premiere night which was a mindblowing experience, but i struggled with the ending for days, couldn't stop thinking about it. Didn't really get it either.

But on second watch, on Friday in my home cinema, it completely clicked. You need to see the movie with the ending in mind to understand the structure, and the heroes journey. That way it makes sense, and i wasn't even sad at the end. It's easily the most profound ending to a Bond film ever (which obviously isn't saying much really), and it's uplifting in a way. I definitly felt much better about it this time.
    In his final moments, James Bond realizes what matters most to him in life, and what all this "jumping and fighting" was about, he's fully realized as a character, the hero's journey is complete. Narratively there is nowhere left to go. Daniel plays it confidently and self assured, he is not a victim of his circumstances. He makes a decision here.

If he can't live with what he treasures most (and he knows that life from Jamaica), he rather goes out in a blaze of glory, as he always knew he would (and secretly strived for in Flemings writing). It's an exclamation mark of an ending to his Bond and very fitting to Craigs tenure in my opinion. But since this is uncharted territory, it's natural that it will divide and piss off a lot of people... for a while at least.

I'm not bothered by the dying part anymore because i see it more as a metaphor, James Bond has fullfilled his purpose and completed his journey. You couldn't have him drive off into the sunset with Madeline once more, if you prefer that ending you can watch Spectre and pretend that NTTD never happened.

home town cinema*
    Mallory wrote: »

home town cinema*

Ah, I see 😉
    I'm off to see it again today with a friend who is watching it for the first time. The more I've thought about it and I really loved the film, the more I do think a bit of a Marvel-like post-credit fan service would have appeased people. A few quick seconds of Q at his desk and in the background the blue trident icon appears on a screen all be it briefly. Then a James Bond will return. That knowing nudge that there's some hope he made it. As it stands the credit promise of a return seems strangely hollow this time around.

But, I guess my big counter-point is that at least they went all the way with something. Even Nolan couldn't quite see fit to totally kill off Batman in TDKR and I feel like that conviction to make it so high stakes does take balls.

I also think this also really sets up everything nicely for a new actor, with a new cannon of characters to sit apart from DC's tenure. This time I don't see anyone making the move over, like Judi Dench. I also think there's so much to mine in terms of plotting. You could start with Bond's parent's death, his time in the navy, boarding school...
    People keep going on about the ending, so I feel almost the obligation, for the sake of variety, to reiterate that my dislike of the film has little to do with Bond dying. There's so many other things. Like his relationships and demeanour from Cuba onwards.

And simply the over stuffing of suffering and drama elements he has to endure. Heck, I'd make little effort to survive in the end as well:

Retirement is boring, the job is over demanding, my boss turned out to be a pr*ck, my probably dubious wife hid from me my child for 5 years, all of my friends are dead, people didn't seem to miss me much, there's actually a new and proficient 007, and it turns out the best psychologist (they changed her to a psychiatrist, btw) I could see to save me is the dubious wife/ex-girfriend... so...

But, again, I loved the first hour of this film sooooooo much.

Just had to reiterate that as well.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    So now I've seen it. Talk about rebounding after a damp squib!
    Re: the ending. To me, it couldn't end for CraigBond any other way. The circle is closed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,034
    Univex wrote: »
    People keep going on about the ending, so I feel almost the obligation, for the sake of variety, to reiterate that my dislike of the film has little to do with Bond dying. There's so many other things. Like his relationships and demeanour from Cuba onwards.

And simply the over stuffing of suffering and drama elements he has to endure. Heck, I'd make little effort to survive in the end as well:

Retirement is boring, the job is over demanding, my boss turned out to be a pr*ck, my probably dubious wife hid from me my child for 5 years, all of my friends are dead, people didn't seem to miss me much, there's actually a new and proficient 007, and it turns out the best psychologist (they changed her to a psychiatrist, btw) I could see to save me is the dubious wife/ex-girfriend... so...

I guess you just hate that the film took risks and made big, bold choices @Univex. ;)
    NoWiseman wrote: »
    Bueno1694 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig as Bond is my hero (yes, I’m 45, you can laugh).

Just signed in only to respond to this. I know exactly, what you mean. I'm in a bad mood since 3 days now after watching the film. Once you've seen it, it sticks with you. For gods sake i'm a 51 year old man and i feel kind of traumatized. No movie in the world should do this to me. I'm sad, frustrated and angry at the same time. This character and the love for the movies accompanied my life for over 40 years now. But as of now i don't want to see a Bond movie ever again. Believe me, it's rubbish to feel this way.

Glad I'm not alone in this. I'm nearly 50 and feel exactly the same. The film has stayed with me for days afterwards, and not in a good way. I just feel so disappointed now that I am finding it hard to look fondly at Craig's reign at all, as I feel he has been instrumental in pushing this vision of Bond, and Babs has indulged and allowed it to happen.

CR was the only film where Craig had no real clout, and looking back on his tenure now, it really shows. Its the only film that is more or less universally praised, and the last time it felt like it connected properly to the Bond world that Fleming created.

Ever since then the producers and Craig have pushed the envelope a bit further each time, straying further away from the formula, and Ian Fleming, to a kind of warped Fleming re-imagined world, where the emotional stakes get higher and higher with each movie. NTTD is Craig's DAD. They threw the kitchen sink at this one, like they did with Brozza's last outing, only replaced outlandish stunts and CGI with emotional angst and Last Jedi shocks galore.

I never came out of the cinema feeling sorry for Bond, but this has now happened with NTTD. Who the hell wants that from the screen hero they grew up with?
  • BelinusBelinus Scotland

Just signed in only to respond to this. I know exactly, what you mean. I'm in a bad mood since 3 days now after watching the film. Once you've seen it, it sticks with you. For gods sake i'm a 51 year old man and i feel kind of traumatized. No movie in the world should do this to me. I'm sad, frustrated and angry at the same time. This character and the love for the movies accompanied my life for over 40 years now. But as of now i don't want to see a Bond movie ever again. Believe me, it's rubbish to feel this way.

I read this comment out to my wife and son. They both thought I had written it!

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677

I guess you just hate that the film took risks and made big, bold choices @Univex. ;)

That's what they'll say ;)

CR took risks and made big, bold choices, so did SF, and I love them. This isn't making big, bold choices, this is making too many choices, and cramming them into a forced narrative. They learned to relish the shock and the freedom that gave them, and went with it one more time, full force.

When I hear someone say they threw everything plus the kitchen sink in, I always remember two people:

1) MGW about DAD;
    2) R. attenborough:
    71700541.jpg

And we know how those 2 things ended up, don't we?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 49
    I really don't see any characters from Daniel's era being in the next Bond film. No need to ever mention Madeleine or their daughter again. It's a fresh start, a new take on Bond. MI6 crew of course will be there, but probably/undoubtedly different actors.

I have read a number of your posts here and I happen to entirely agree with you.

In 2018 I remember a speculation thread where I said the only logical conclusion was Bond would die, some disagreed then. The evolving discussion made clear to me that some people see Bond as one person played by six actors. I see Daniels Bond in its own separate universe it began with CR went through a journey and ended with NTTD.

His journey has no part in any other Bonds journey BUT the callbacks the foundation plot from YOLT, the heavy echoes of Majesties and even the The Spy Who Loved Me novel anchor it in the Bond Universe.

I would be very happy for Bond to end here. If it does not I am not seeing from my point of view how ANY of the actors can play with another Bond. I know Judy played with Pierce and Daniel but even she began again but for the ensemble family to work with a different Bond is/would be quite odd to me.

Expectations for Bond 26 are largely unchanged for me, now having seen NTTD:
    1. A new James Bond 007
    2. A complete continuity reset
    3. New Actors in the MI6 roles (if they choose to bring them back)
    4. A return to individual films with closed stories and characters (I hope).
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 49
    "He went to see NTTD with me. He is in very poor health, a lot older now. He likes what Craig has done because he feels like it made Bond more relatable. He bleeds. He aches. He's not indestructible.

He came out loving the movie saying it was one of his favourites of Craig. He thought the three hours flew by. I've remarked this before but the ultimate subversion for me being a woman is that I'm glad I saw this with my dad. It isn't a father/son movie.... it felt like a father/daughter movie. It'll annoy so many people but I don't give a damn.

Good dads often do not get the chance to show their feelings but will do anything especially for their daughters and their families.

And that made me come out and want to hug my dad a little harder. And I'm OK with that.[/quote]"

Interesting at 66 I am from 1964 with a James Bond week my father took me to. I borrowed his books and read them.

I sat next to a couple for NTTD they were father/daughter and like me they never left their seats until the credits stopped. She was good with my hyperventilating.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 303

Glad I'm not alone in this. I'm nearly 50 and feel exactly the same. The film has stayed with me for days afterwards, and not in a good way. I just feel so disappointed now that I am finding it hard to look fondly at Craig's reign at all, as I feel he has been instrumental in pushing this vision of Bond, and Babs has indulged and allowed it to happen.

CR was the only film where Craig had no real clout, and looking back on his tenure now, it really shows. Its the only film that is more or less universally praised, and the last time it felt like it connected properly to the Bond world that Fleming created.

Ever since then the producers and Craig have pushed the envelope a bit further each time, straying further away from the formula, and Ian Fleming, to a kind of warped Fleming re-imagined world, where the emotional stakes get higher and higher with each movie. NTTD is Craig's DAD. They threw the kitchen sink at this one, like they did with Brozza's last outing, only replaced outlandish stunts and CGI with emotional angst and Last Jedi shocks galore.

I never came out of the cinema feeling sorry for Bond, but this has now happened with NTTD. Who the hell wants that from the screen hero they grew up with?

Send an email to Eon Productions. Be polite not rude and express your view. Tell them why you feel killing off James Bond was a grave error of judgement. I sent an email.

They may or may not read your emails but no harm sending one. 😉
  • NoWisemanNoWiseman Germany
    edited October 2021 Posts: 34

That's exactly it. It took the joy out of James Bond for me. This should be a time for me to celebrate this character. A new film ist out. Watching it 3-4 times, listening to the soundtrack, all these things that made it special to me, are lost.

I deeply love CR, but i cant't even think of watching it again in the foreseeable future. I never stood at this point up to now. They've ruined it for me completely.

At least i'm finding a quantum of solace in the fact, that there are others, who feel the same.

• JohnBarryJohnBarry Dublin
    I've seen some comments (not necessarily here) that suggests people who dislike the ending simply don't understand it and the meaning behind it. It is perfectly possible to completely understand the ending and the filmmakers' intentions but still totally dislike it.

• edited October 2021 Posts: 3,279
    I deeply love CR, but i cant't even think of watching it again in the foreseeable future. I never stood at this point up to now. They've ruined it for me completely.

This is one of the strangest outcomes from those like us who did not like it. The fact that it has bizarrely affected the other Craig films because of it, and CR in particular. As it stands right now, the series for me ends with Dalton's LTK, because I was not a fan of the Brosnan era either. I cannot bring myself to re-watch any of Craig's films at the moment.

Well done Babs and co for completely destroying everything your father and Fleming built. You had briefly redeemed yourself with CR, but even that has been ruined now.

At least I have the 60's through to the 80's to look fondly back on, and the novels. Everything after 1989 has been mainly garbage - from P&W overcooked scripts, mainly trash songs (save CR and SF), ignoring everything Fleming wrote and dreaming up your own garbage instead, with ZX Spectrum CGI surfing and invisible cars, through to Brofeld, Bond being a daddy and getting killed off.

Bond as a character is no longer a live hero that all men want to be, and all women want to sleep with, but now a deceased one who we felt genuine pity for instead, in his final tragic moments on screen. Well done EON!

RIP Bond! :(
    JohnBarry wrote: »
    I've seen some comments (not necessarily here) that suggests people who dislike the ending simply don't understand it and the meaning behind it. It is perfectly possible to completely understand the ending and the filmmakers' intentions but still totally dislike it.

That's just pure ignorance on their part.

Maybe Bonds demise makes sense in the context of this film. The point is, once you've decided, where your story is headed, you will develop the script with this end point in mind. Everything that happens, has to strengthen the conclusion. And i really hate, that Broccoli/Wilson/Craig/Fukunaga thougt, this is the right ending for a Bond movie and did everything to make it plausible.

That's just pure ignorance on their part.

Maybe Bonds demise makes sense in the context of this film. The point is, once you've decided, where your story is headed, you will develop the script with this end point in mind. Everything that happens, has to strengthen the conclusion. And i really hate, that Broccoli/Wilson/Craig/Fukunaga thougt, this is the right ending for a Bond movie and did everything to make it plausible.

Exactly! They could very easily have changed the angle of the final explosion, so its left ambiguous to whether Bond really did die or not.

Either that, or gone with an adaptation of the just as tragic YOLT final chapter - Sparrows' Tears. They were going in this direction anyway, why not remain faithful to the author's original vision. It would have still worked, still would have given us that sense of loss, but not kill off the character completely, which was totally unnecessary, as was killing off Felix.

This was EON's Last Jedi, and Craig's DAD. Throw everything but the kitchen sink at it, with cheap shock thrills throughout, regardless of what it does to the franchise, its fanbase, or its legacy.
  • When I think about it it kinda wouldve been nice to go with the Amnesia ending because it wouldve meant Craig's Bond wouldnt have to live with the guilt of never seeing his family again, and he can start afresh away from the spy game.
    When I think about it it kinda wouldve been nice to go with the Amnesia ending because it wouldve meant Craig's Bond wouldnt have to live with the guilt of never seeing his family again, and he can start afresh away from the spy game.

This was the only way to end it without causing such controversy and pissed off fans. It also would keep in line with Fleming, and would have set up the opening for the next actor brilliantly with TMWTGG.

For all EON make out that they are bold and adventurous, this would have taken real balls to have done, instead of the cheap gimmick they went for.
    There are many, critics and fans, who are calling the producers brave to let James Bond die. In my opinion it feels very cheap. Going for the biggest emotional shock possible. That's not intelligent story telling in a genre film.

Look what Nolan did. Inception. Or TDKR. Like it or not, but this man has a lot to tell about his characters without sacrificing an cultural icon. I easily could have handled an ambigious ending. Bond is dead. But is he really? One last question mark to think and discuss about. Way better than leaving the cinema depressed and miserable.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I do have an issue when people say that NTTD is a revolutionary Bond movie that plays around with the formula. I am not sure it does. Aside from introducing the family elements and the obvious ending, it is the most traditional of the Craig films in terms of narrative structure and look. So that's why I don't agree with people criticising those who dislike it as being boring, conservative traditionalists who aren't 'open minded'.

Yes, this echoes my thoughts too. Him dying is the least of my problems with the film.

Absolutely. It is actually quite arrogant to assume people don't understand it.
    Craig's Bond died that way and the new actor's Bond will die in a different way. But Connery's, ..., Brosnan's Bond didn't die. Perhaps NTTD is to be treated as the last Bond, even though more films will be made. I don't buy it anyway.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    While I did enjoy the film very much and the ending didn't offend me, something about it felt a bit empty in my opinion, I've figured out what it is.
    I don't buy Bond and Madeline's love. Although her character was better written this time and Lea Seydoux had more to do I've felt no chemistry between the two of them for 2 films now.
    In Spectre they had an antagonistic introduction, hardly a meet-cute, then a desperate shag on a train! Then they're in love. A love that is so strong that after 5 years apart and a brief meet up Bond gives his life up because he can't be with her (and child, that's fair enough I guess). I don't believe in it.
    If he had to die it would have been more satisfying to do it to 'save the world', manually having to keep the blast doors open until the missiles hit.
    I also think they should have written Safin out and instead made him Blofeld. Clearly it couldn't have been the exact same plot, and maybe slightly hokey with Blofeld escaping, but him in the garden of death and shooting Bond and then Bond throttling him with the 'Die' line etc would have been better - especially after SP when they made Blofeld out to be his ultimate nemesis.

One way out of the hokeyness of Blofeld escaping could have been him being released because he has influential members of the British government in his pocket, and M being powerless to stop it happening. Something like that. So that it comes out of what we learn about Quantum (am I right in thinking Quantum is a front for Spectre? - I haven't watched SP for a while).

Anyway, Blofeld rather than Safin would have linked back to the books in a far stronger way imo.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 73
    It also would keep in line with Fleming, and would have set up the opening for the next actor brilliantly with TMWTGG.
    I think that by Skyfall EON decided that Craig's tenure is going to be its own selfcontained universe, with references being made to Bond's age, etc. Now that arc is completed and Craig's end being as definitive as it is leaves the slate clean.
    So they killed the character, James Bond. I ask, so what? It certainly breaks conventions of the franchise, but does it really betray the character Ian Fleming created? A character whom Daniel Craig made into a living breathing human being instead of a cypher (I am looking especially at you Pierce Brosnan)? In my opinion it does not. And to me, that is most important.
    And when it comes to TMWTGG novel, that is the one Ian Fleming should have not written. YOLT ended perfectly with amnesiac Bond heading towards Vladivostok where he - as we readers would know - would face a certain death. Whenever I have my Fleming binge that is where I stop. It was a perfect ending to a man whose profession was death and who knew he could die whenever and therefore lived his life the fullest he could.
    I wholeheartedly understand why someone was upset with the ending. But to me it was just perfect. I did cry, both of sadness and elation. James Bond is dead. Long live James Bond.

Whom, as we all know, will return.