Harry Palmer returns

Comments

The first few Harry Palmer films IMO were better than Deighton’s books anyway, so if the new version draws on both I’d be happy.

I’m looking forward to this very much.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It definitely will do in some way as it's got Harry Palmer in it! :)
  • "UK-based ITV Studios (ITVS) has struck pre-sale deals for a several shows, and also unveiled a wide slate of English and non-English language scripted titles due to be launched next week.

Pre-sale deal include the 6 x 60-minute Altitude Films series The Ipcress File, which has gone to Seven Network in Australia, Now TV in Hong Kong, Tohokushinsha in Japan and to Lionsgate Play for India, Indonesia and Malaysia."

https://tbivision.com/2021/09/30/itvs-unveils-fall-scripted-sale-inks-global-pre-sale-deals/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So does that mean it'll be shown fairly soon?
  • mtm wrote: »
    So does that mean it'll be shown fairly soon?

Apparently, there's a big ITV showcase next week so I imagine that's where the release date is going to be unveiled. My guess is either late this year or early next year.
  • New synopsis courtesy of Australia's Channel 7.
    The Ipcress File tells the story of Harry Palmer, a British army sergeant turned black market hustler, is a man on the make in Berlin. But when the law catches up with him, everything comes crashing to a halt. However, a gentleman from British intelligence has a proposal. To avoid jail, Harry will become a spy.

From Berlin to London, Beirut to the Pacific, Harry embarks on his first undercover mission in Harry Palmer: The Ipcress File, a globe-trotting tale of abducted scientists, brainwashing, treason and a possibly unwise romance. This reluctant spy may take no pleasure in his new job – but he’s bloody good at it.

From renowned film and television studio Altitude Film Entertainment, this bold reimagining brings together an outstanding creative team, with key producer, writer and director talents behind landmark hits such as The Crown, Trainspotting, The Beach, The Woman In Black, Diego Maradona and McMafia.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    New synopsis courtesy of Australia's Channel 7.
    The Ipcress File tells the story of Harry Palmer, a British army sergeant turned black market hustler, is a man on the make in Berlin. But when the law catches up with him, everything comes crashing to a halt. However, a gentleman from British intelligence has a proposal. To avoid jail, Harry will become a spy.

From Berlin to London, Beirut to the Pacific, Harry embarks on his first undercover mission in Harry Palmer: The Ipcress File, a globe-trotting tale of abducted scientists, brainwashing, treason and a possibly unwise romance. This reluctant spy may take no pleasure in his new job – but he’s bloody good at it.

From renowned film and television studio Altitude Film Entertainment, this bold reimagining brings together an outstanding creative team, with key producer, writer and director talents behind landmark hits such as The Crown, Trainspotting, The Beach, The Woman In Black, Diego Maradona and McMafia.

Thabks for that. It sounds like it might be based a bit more on the novel than the 1965 film version was. Looking forward to this hitting the small screen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They’ve given it a slightly new title too. Which suggests they’ll hope it’ll be an umbrella title for sequels, but that’s obviously not much of a surprise.
    Fingers crossed this is good, you really never know.
    mtm wrote: »
    They’ve given it a slightly new title too. Which suggests they’ll hope it’ll be an umbrella title for sequels, but that’s obviously not much of a surprise.
    Fingers crossed this is good, you really never know.

Yes, putting the character name in the title to remind people who he is and introduce him to new viewers too. It also sets it apart from the iconic 1965 film version.
  • Australia's 7 Network will air this in 2022. Doesn't necessarily mean this will also apply to the UK, but it's certainly suggestive.

https://www.watoday.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/australia-s-got-talent-seven-to-revive-mkr-four-talent-shows-in-2022-20211012-p58z9t.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ITV can be funny and hang into things for years, it may even air there first!
    I must admit I couldn't get through Horse Under Water, but I should probably give it another go.
    Horse Under Water was going to be the fourth Harry Palmer movie by Saltzman, but due to The Billion Dollar Brain performing badly, it was eventually scrapped. I would still liked to have seen a fourth Saltzman Palmer production, but alas...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Indeed, that's why we were talking about it :D
    Indeed, that's why we were talking about it :D
    =)) I just read the first page and immediately posted. Now I can see the above comments. That'll teach me.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 440
    According to Instagram account for the Knowsley Estate, a stately home near Liverpool, not only was Harry Palmer: The Ipcress File filmed there, but said filming involved actors portraying JFK, and Harold MacMillan.
    "Perhaps the most impressive room of all at Knowsley Hall is the State Dining Room, its arching interior created for the visit of George IV in 1820 remaining largely unchanged except for a re-hanging of the family portraits by Lady Derby in recent years.

Lockdown was made more exciting by the appearance of US President JF Kennedy and Prime Minister Harold Macmillan dining in our State Dining Room for the filming of the Ipcress File!"
    Cjhx2HZ.jpg
    The stately dining room in question.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Curious, that's a bit different!
    bondsum wrote: »
    I must admit I couldn't get through Horse Under Water, but I should probably give it another go.
    Horse Under Water was going to be the fourth Harry Palmer movie by Saltzman, but due to The Billion Dollar Brain performing badly, it was eventually scrapped. I would still liked to have seen a fourth Saltzman Palmer production, but alas...

Read more about the plans to film Horse Under Water in my article here:

https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/george-lazenby-and-film-of-horse-under.html
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

Read more about the plans to film Horse Under Water in my article here:

https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/george-lazenby-and-film-of-horse-under.html

Very interesting point that both Caine and Connery made their last films at the same time, I hadn't noticed that before. No wonder Saltzman had cold feet with it.

There was a further 'Palmer' adaptation in the 70s called 'Spy Story', although the main character wasn't called Palmer in it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 440
    Curious, that's a bit different!

Indeed. Given what we know about the series it seems so unlikely that they'd just have them pop into the story as full supporting characters.

My guess is that this was either for something like fake newsreel footage with characters from the series in it, or perhaps appearing in the background of a couple of scenes while the MI6 men watch.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 440
    ITV have released a new synopsis, stills, and teased that the show will air during their winter schedule. So either late 2021 or early 2022.
    “It’s 1963. Cold war rages between West and East. Nuclear bombers are permanently airborne. In this highly charged atmosphere, we join Harry Palmer – a British army sergeant on the make in Berlin. In this newly partitioned city, a sharp working-class young man with sophisticated tastes can make a lot of money. Wholesaler, retailer, fixer, smuggler, Harry’s varied interests bring him into contact with everything and everyone – until the law catches up and it all comes crashing to a halt.

Harry finds himself sentenced to eight years in a grim military jail in England, all his prospects abruptly torn away.

But his impressive network and efficiency have not gone unnoticed, and a gentleman from British intelligence has a proposal. To avoid prison, Harry Palmer will become a spy. And the case on which he cuts his teeth will be The Ipcress File.

Harry’s links to the man suspected of kidnapping a missing British nuclear scientist result in him being conscripted for a dangerous undercover mission that takes him from the Beatles’ London to the Berlin Wall, from the back alleys of Beirut to the white hot sand of a Nuclear Atoll in the Pacific.

A twist-laden spy thriller with a rich cast of characters, The Ipcress File is a stylish and tense tale of abducted scientists, brainwashing, inter- departmental rivalry, treason, and a possibly unwise romance.”
    ursfSYM.jpg
    lbJG7vZ.jpg
    ZFal3M4.jpg
    7p9LtWC.jpg
    Ih1fTmO.jpg
    7MYNv8E.jpg
    InyAW36.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Can’t beat a bit of Hollander in a hat.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Can’t beat a bit of Hollander in a hat.

He'll steal every scene he's in.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Heh! Yep, inevitable. Is he Dalby?
    Heh! Yep, inevitable. Is he Dalby?

I believe so, yes.
    When compared to Caine, this Palmer seems a bit on the young and soft side. I guess it's just me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Same age I think.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 440
    Leaked promotional image I found on Twitter. The original link has since been taken down.

Does seem to be missing the "Harry Palmer: The Ipcress File" titling, though. Possibly just a demo design? The pictures are certainly new, though.

J6WKbgj.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ooh interesting. Fingers crossed it's not too far off then.
    Ooh interesting. Fingers crossed it's not too far off then.

Hopefully, yeah.

My guess is probably at some point in either January or early February.