NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    My question regarding the ending is: Does Bond...............
    go to a Heavenly spot, or a place where it's terribly.........................HOT?

@ToTheRight. Thanks for that laugh. =))
    Dwayne wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    My question regarding the ending is: Does Bond...............
    go to a Heavenly spot, or a place where it's terribly.........................HOT?

@ToTheRight. Thanks for that laugh. =))

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
    On the gunbarrel
    have found that transition from the Universal logo odd as well and actually asked some people who were at the US screenings - apparently just the MGM logo at the start of their version. So they may have it cleaner, with the dots going left to right...

Oh and it's in FULL 1.43 IMAX

formulating thoughts...posted a couple on my Twitter but man...I cried. So worth the trip
  • If it were up to me, "You Know My Name" would have been used in the end titles.
  • Just finished watching it. I'm not even sure how to articulate what I just watched. This felt like the least Bond film of all 25 films. Craig's performance of Bond's demeanor reminded me for the most part of his behaviour when he and Vesper check into Hotel Splendid but dialled up to 11. Nothing wrong with it per se but when interacting with characters like M, it just became a bit too snarky. It just didn't feel like Bond.

The pacing of the film is probably the best thing about it. All the best bits are the more Bond-esque moments which ended after Cuba and seemingly all too quickly.

There's more I need to say, like, Bond strangling Blofeld and telling him to die...uh, that just felt so out of character for cinematic Bond. Valdo's goffiness wore out its welcome and I'm pretty sure there was a moment Zimmer copy and pasted a track from TDKR.

Loved hearing Vesper's theme and her and Mr White being referenced.

Ranking of the Craig era:
    CR
    QoS
    SF
    NTTD
    SP

It's not a terrible film, it's just not that great and a little disappointing, and doesn't remotely live up to the hype.
  • I cried like a little bitch, especially when We Have all the Time in the World played right at the end.
    Posted in the non spoiler thread but here's a slightly more detailed version...
    Yeah I cried, Fukunaga you madman.

Is it basically Dark Knight Rises, right with all its messiness relative to the previous high bar (in this case CR and SF)? yes. Firmly in the middle of the pack there of the Craig era.

Did I still love it? Yes. It's everything I wanted it to be not just from when I walked out of Spectre, but when I saw my first big screen Bond which was - yes - QoS. This and SP being the films where Bond goes after the bastards.

Was it worth the however many miles away I am for full 1.43 IMAX? YES. EVEN THE GUNBARREL and opening credits!

As people have said it's emotional, it wears its heart and inspirations very much on its sleeve - almost to a fault (dunno how to feel about that needle drop at the end) - it also is the real "let's throw everything and the kitchen sink at Craig" film - it mixes so much tonally (again much like TDKR, it really really bounces between tones) but somehow all works out in the end, there was a hanging thread I was thinking about as the denouement played out and even that ended up delivering at the end. And did not drag at all pacing wise...just flew by.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Anyone seen the title sequence yet, and if so, what is in it?
  • Anyone seen the title sequence yet, and if so, what is in it?

Guns shaped like dna double helixes, db5 falling into the ocean floor, some flashback image of Vesper, Blofield...it was okay.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,011
    Now that I’ve read the plot on James Bond wikia, I’m convinced the writers lifted key elements from the Metal Gear Solid series and specifically the first game… which is not all that surprising, considering it’s the video game equivalent of the Bond movies.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 328
    Yep. Foxdie instantly came to mind and M coming off like Campbell, keeping things from Snake/Bond.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    So they really did it huh?

Don't exactly know how to feel about that... I wonder if this was Boyle's big idea.

Someone mentioned in the last page that the US screenings didn't have a Universal logo, was there a UAR one?
  • From the day the synopsis was released, I've been saying the plot was similar to Metal Gear Solid, LMAO.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    So they really did it huh?

Don't exactly know how to feel about that... I wonder if this was Boyle's big idea.

Someone mentioned in the last page that the US screenings didn't have a Universal logo, was there a UAR one?

From what I read, it’s only the MGM logo
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Yep. Foxdie instantly came to mind and M coming off like Campbell, keeping things from Snake/Bond.
    So in 2020 we finally got Nolan’s Bond movie - Tenet. And 2021 gave us the long awaited MGS movie - NTTD 😬
  • The PTS was great. Loved the universal logo turning into the white dots and gunbarrel. Creepy opening with Safin coming to the house.
    I thought the Matera car chase and the land rover chase was going to top QoS opening car chase. They didn't. QoS' car chase reigns supreme as the best car chase in any Bond movie.

NTTD also cements Mr White and Vesper as absolute legends. I was also surprised that Vesper really messed Bond up. He still missed her. What was the time line for the events of CR? Because Bond's entire emotional fabric was fundamentally ripped apart by Vesper in a very short space of time.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    antovolk wrote: »
    On the gunbarrel
    have found that transition from the Universal logo odd as well and actually asked some people who were at the US screenings - apparently just the MGM logo at the start of their version. So they may have it cleaner, with the dots going left to right...

Oh and it's in FULL 1.43 IMAX

formulating thoughts...posted a couple on my Twitter but man...I cried. So worth the trip
    Makes me wonder the differences in music placement between the US and UK openings. Like, was it quiet during the CGI lion in the UK, and the music build up with the Universal logo? And then for the US the music begins starting with the CGI lion?
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,164
    In UK version, both logos were squeezed into the one cue, especially Universal...slow fade out of the globe (and UNIVERSAL text) to white dot where I'd imagine the US version will be like SP where the horns play over black.

The treatment of the Uni logo in that MGM style colour is really interesting though. But yes at the expense of ruining the effect of the dots coming onto screen
    Weird!
    Rainy wrote: »
    What's the repeat viewing factor? Are you wanting to see it again ASAP or you don't feel like there's any excitement to see it again so soon?

Saw it twice already. And it even was better the second time.
    For me this is the kind of movie that grows with every screening.
    AND it is a movie for the biggest screen possible. Just saw it in IMAX and was blown away by it, even if I knew everything, that will happen, because I saw it already.
    A group of teenage girls in the row in Front of me all teared up in the end hugging each other. This is for sure a movie for people who are willing to be touched by it.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 389
    Got back an hour ago from midnight showing, my good I went in with low expectations but this really was like trying to polish a turd.
    It is so bad, poor wishy washy villain, Craigs Bond flips between angst ridden killing machine to some kind of retarded emotional Mod Edit wit, everybody dies, Felix, Blofeld, all of bloody Spectre, this previously invincable shadow organisation and to top it off Bond is blown to bits......?

I'm sorry but this is a Bond I'll be glad to see the back of. Loved CR, even quiet liked QoS but started to go wrong as I've said before with SF.

Some of the action set pieces were good but overall it was a bloody big mess.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited September 2021 Posts: 469
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Now that I’ve read the plot on James Bond wikia, I’m convinced the writers lifted key elements from the Metal Gear Solid series and specifically the first game… which is not all that surprising, considering it’s the video game equivalent of the Bond movies.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    So in 2020 we finally got Nolan’s Bond movie - Tenet. And 2021 gave us the long awaited MGS movie - NTTD 😬

Ah, fellow MGS fans!

First thought I had about the bioweapon was FOXDIE. It's practically lifted wholesale from MGS1 - A gene-targeting nanomachine virus that the hero gets unwittingly infected with, that curses him throughout. He is infected and used as a weapon against a certain organization of bad guys without his apparent knowledge, and the virus, later on comes back to curse him specifically, in a way designed to hurt him the most. Snake with an early death, and Bond with never being able to come into contact with Madeleine and Mathilde.

The scene where Bond kills Blofeld accidentally is pretty much the scene from MGS1 where Snake accidentally kills the 'DARPA chief' with the DNA targeted nanomachine virus.

Also not to mention how much Q's mobile lab setup reminds me of Otacon in MGS4, down to him coordinating the push into Safin's lair, and the Qdar is pretty much the Soliton Radar. The nanomachines also make a comeback from SPECTRE and track Bond and Nomi.

And Nomi. Pretty much filling in Raiden's role from MGS2 - inexperienced and cocky agent who takes a retired legend's codename and believes that they have everything under control until the old hero returns and is thrown into their complex world, coming to realise they know a lot less than they thought they did about their job and the old hero.

Some parts of Safin's speech mirror the goals of the Patriots - especially about controlling people, and how they think people want to be told what to do? I was really hoping for more of that type of theme in the movie tbh.

I haven't played MGS4 yet but I've heard that the NTTD ending mirrors it a little, what with the hero sacrificing himself in some manner, and a little girl being cared for by the people he leaves behind and being told his legend. Of course, Snake's fate is uncertain, but the way he leaves behind a lot of people grieving and telling his twisted story is reflected in how Madeleine tells stories of Bond to Mathilde, and how the MI6 crew grieve him.

Oh, and the title sequence with its DNA motif - MGS2 also had a similar DNA motif in its title sequence!

It really does feel like they put a few elements of each MGS game into a blender and wrote down what came out. I cannot wait for how Kojima reacts to this - given that MGS itself owes its existence to the Bond series, it's weird to see a Bond movie that itself owes its existence to multiple MGS plot devices and themes.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    @antovolk I was sat the row behind. You were easy to spot with the mask on and empty seats you'd booked either side of you. Awesome that screen wasn't it (glad those annoying fellas with the torches sorted themselves right before the film was about to start smh)

I have so many thoughts about the film, I don't know where to start other than I loved the majority of the action, Paloma and all of Madeline's screen time. The film felt small and intimate, in an almost soap opera way ( but that's not a negative) and then felt simultaneously like one of the biggest bond films we've had in years in terms of spectacle. It's an odd one but in a good way I think. There is SO much to unpack. Good thing I'm seeing it again tomorrow. Just felt and still do really deflated by the ending. One of the most depressing things I've ever watched.

My girlfriend just said to me that the film works perfectly for her ( a fan of only Daniels five films and as someone who doesn't care if they never make another one again) .

I get why they've done it but at the same time, I really don't lol. Just so depressing lol

just can't believe the bond film where they've decided to give Bond a daughter that that's not the biggest talking point like wow

Like others have said, it never drags or gets boring, I even thought at times it needed more time to breathe.

Thought Ralph was very voldermorty at the beginning. Is M the real villian of NTTD? Could be for some. The Heros and the villians get all mixed up ofc.

Nomi was great. As were all the usual mi6 gang. Don't know about anyone else? But when Q had 20 mins until his date arrived I would 100% of had tanner ring the doorbell to reveal he was the date. They could've played around and had great fun with that( imagine bonds and moneypennys faces).

Didn't like the title sequence much. Just wasn't what I imagined in my head, I wanted more purples lol

Thought the gunbarrel was actually quite satisfying actually.

Realise I'm babbling and working backwards but I'm goosed and there's so much to unpack. Will give more slightly less muddled thoughts tomorrow.

Bloody hell.

The death scene has made its way to YouTube.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 302
    Got back an hour ago from midnight showing, my good I went in with low expectations but this really was like trying to polish a turd.
    It is so bad, poor wishy washy villain, Craigs Bond flips between angst ridden killing machine to some kind of retarded emotional Mod Edit wit, everybody dies, Felix, Blofeld, all of bloody Spectre, this previously invincable shadow organisation and to top it off Bond is blown to bits......?

I'm sorry but this is a Bond I'll be glad to see the back of. Loved CR, even quiet liked QoS but started to go wrong as I've said before with SF.

Thanks for your review. I was hoping I was in a bad dream and was imagining the reviews about Bond actually dying! Oh well... it really happens.

I don't want to see a film where Bond dies but then... guess what.. he's alive in Bond 26! It's silly and in my opinion disrespectful to Barbara's father's legacy.

If Bond isn't really dead, no body found and missing in action and that is confirmed in Bond 26's teaser trailer, I can buy into that premise. However, if Eon have 100 percent killed off Daniel Craig's James Bond then no thanks. I don't want to invest 2 hours 40 mins waiting to see him die.

It's also incredible/mind boggling/depressing to know all the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and on YouTube don't seem to care Bond dies. A 59 year long cinematic hero dies and it's like "who cares?" If you're a genuine Bond fan or even a paid critic you would think you would question the decision to kill off James Bond (albeit in a contrived way as we all know James Bond will return.)

How do you kill off James Bond but in the end credits state Bond will return? It's a contrived gimmick. Eon are literally having their cake and eating it. They can exploit the emotional impact of Bond's death but also dismiss that impact in three/four years time when they make Bond 26 with the new back from the dead/rebooted Bond.
    bondywondy wrote: »

Thanks for your review. I was hoping I was in a bad dream and was imagining the reviews about Bond actually dying! Oh well... it really happens.

I don't want to see a film where Bond dies but then... guess what.. he's alive in Bond 26! It's silly and in my opinion disrespectful to Barbara's father's legacy.

If Bond isn't really dead, no body found and missing in action and that is confirmed in Bond 26's teaser trailer, I can buy into that premise. However, if Eon have 100 percent killed off Daniel Craig's James Bond then no thanks. I don't want to invest 2 hours 40 mins waiting to see him die.

It's also incredible/mind boggling/depressing to know all the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and on YouTube don't seem to care Bond dies. A 59 year long cinematic hero dies and it's like "who cares?" If you're a genuine Bond fan or even a paid critic you would think you would question the decision to kill off James Bond (albeit in a contrived way as we all know James Bond will return.)

How do you kill off James Bond but in the end credits state Bond will return? It's a contrived gimmick. Eon are literally having their cake and eating it. They can exploit the emotional impact of Bond's death but also dismiss that impact in three/four years time when they make Bond 26 with the new back from the dead/rebooted Bond.
    Once you watch it you’ll see that they 100% kill him off.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,020
    If you're a genuine Bond fan or even a paid critic you would think you would question the decision to kill off James Bond (albeit in a contrived way as we all know James Bond will return.)

There’s no need to question it. It’s part of the story.

I’ve learned that killing Bond is something of a nonnegotiable dealbreaker for some fans. You’ll have to learn that it isn’t for some fans.
  • This is the first time I've deliberately spoiled a film for myself and I don't regret it... I cried like a baby in the Leicester Square IMAX when Han Solo got stabbed up by his son (because JJ Abrams had instead promised me "pure joy") and would like to save myself similar embarrassment with this one.

Although now I've accepted it, I'm strangely excited for my 7.20pm showing tonight... looking forward to doing (friendly) battle with some of you on the fated ground! :))
    It's interestig to consider, re the different universe concept of Bond, who is still working for MI6 after NTTD. I know spinoffs have been a topic of conversation but now we have the increased complexity of spinoffs within different universes. And what of the existing supporting characters? Will we see them again? This is how the whole "universe" thing gets too twisted for me and possibly for the mainstream?

And, sorry to go on, stuff like the "go ahead, eject me" scene in SF. So, it's a different universe but with the same M, same car make/model, same colour, same ejector seat with same button location as another Bond from a completely different universe. Perhaps my brain is too old for this?!
  • TR007 wrote: »

Once you watch it you’ll see that they 100% kill him off.
    When I heard the leaked Final Ascent track, the stubborn side of me kept saying “well it’s going to be someone like Madeleine, Moneypenny, or Q”

But deep down I knew who it would be.