NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

You know what, I need to just step away from these forums probably until 2022. I was elated by this film and I thought the fact that we finally had this film would be a joyous thing. Instead there are people jumping ship on the entire series without even seeing the damned thing who are then going to turn around and tell me I'M the "casual fan" because how dare I love the film? Then you have other people going into OTHER threads and flat out saying
    Bond dies
    because, what? They have a chip on their shoulder with EON? I'm grateful to the universe I was at the premiere because I couldn't possibly imagine what it felt like to be someone who went into the ranking thread and saw THAT waiting for them.

See you next year, or something.
    tqb wrote: »
    Why are fans so toxic?
    Univex wrote: »
    So, for those who've seen it? Do we get lots of Jamaica time and Bondian scenes in his retreat? Or are they just fleeting?
    Lots? No honestly. There's maybe 4 or 5 scenes in Jamaica before it moves to Cuba.

Damn it. Now this gets me sad, not the other thing. But are the boat scenes still there? And the harpoon with the fishes? And do we get to see the house interior?
  • foo_yukfoo_yuk Canada
    You know what, I need to just step away from these forums probably until 2022. I was elated by this film and I thought the fact that we finally had this film would be a joyous thing. Instead there are people jumping ship on the entire series without even seeing the damned thing who are then going to turn around and tell me I'M the "casual fan" because how dare I love the film? Then you have other people going into OTHER threads and flat out saying
    Bond dies
    because, what? They have a chip on their shoulder with EON? I'm grateful to the universe I was at the premiere because I couldn't possibly imagine what it felt like to be someone who went into the ranking thread and saw THAT waiting for them.

I jumped ship from Star Wars fandom during the TLJ anger and haven’t looked back. Still love my SW and watch every new installment/series, but don’t need the “community” negativity. Hopefully that doesn’t happen here.
  • Bad_TigerBad_Tiger Somewhere over Kansas
    I haven't seen the film yet but I can understand all the varying reactions here. When you have a franchise that's run as long as Bond has, people will have their own opinions about what they like and don't like.

Having watched this series for over 40 years, I usually find elements to enjoy in every Bond film, so I'm not worried about NTTD letting me down. From early reactions, it sounds like a film that might leave you nonplussed, or emotionally devastated, but it will not leave you unmoved. For a series that (let's face it) has had plenty of entries that settle into comfortable mediocrity, that sounds like an intriguing prospect, and something I look forward to unpacking.
  • tqbtqb
    Why are fans so toxic?
    So, for those who've seen it? Do we get lots of Jamaica time and Bondian scenes in his retreat? Or are they just fleeting?
    Lots? No honestly. There's maybe 4 or 5 scenes in Jamaica before it moves to Cuba.

Damn it. Now this gets me sad, not the other thing. But are the boat scenes still there? And the harpoon with the fishes? And do we get to see the house interior?

Yes all that is still there :)

Why are fans so toxic?

Thank heavens :) Thank you.

The saddest thing is, most people who've seen it, fans included, are so centred on "the thing", that they're not commenting on probably many cool things that happen in the film :(
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Bond dies

Don't be too discouraged @StirredNotShaken. Your views are much appreciated.
    Why are fans so toxic?

The saddest thing is, most people who've seen it, fans included, are so centred on "the thing", that they're not commenting on probably many cool things that happen in the film :(
    An ending can ruin everything else or take one’s mind off everything that came before. Oculus is one such movie for me.
    Is there any ambiguity about the ending at all like even a 1% bit... I just it breaks my heart that after all this waiting this is what we get
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It's supposed to break our hearts!
  • foo_yukfoo_yuk Canada
    Question for those who’ve seen it:

Does Safin get a memorable demise? I don’t mean elaborate, just impactful at least? I loved Silva’s death, Le Chiffre, Trevelyans, etc. Some of my favorite franchise moments are the baddies deaths.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Is there any ambiguity about the ending at all like even a 1% bit... I just it breaks my heart that after all this waiting this is what we get

0% ambiguity
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 820
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Why are fans so toxic?

An ending can ruin everything else or take one’s mind off everything that came before. Oculus is one such movie for me.

Maybe not actually a spoiler, but...

...yes, I'm witnessing that happening in the reactions too. Certainly the ending is the biggest element to talk about, but there is an absolutely classic Bond film unfolding in the other 2 hours and 42 minutes around it. And trust me, there is so much to discuss that fans will pick apart and love.

For goodness' sakes, there is even a deep cut Die Another Day reference I noticed that put a smile on my face. That's 20 years ago. We've come far enough now, the Bond film that was the mother of all reference-stuffing is now getting its references stuffed elsewhere! Ha!

• patb wrote: »
    Something I'm a little confused on. I completely get the idea that CraigBond is in a completely different/unique universe. But I have also heard that there are references to other "non-CraigBond" movies (therefore, accessing the emotions/heritage beyond the Craig universe) - are they trying to have their cake and eat it?

They need to acknowledge sometimes that the "CraigBond" as you rightfully call it is loosely related to the famous old real Cubby Broccoli Bond series and is "Bond 25" for marketing purposes.
    matt_u wrote: »
    It's supposed to break our hearts!

but why if i i am reading this right it really feels like Barbra Broccoli and Michael G wilson kicked me in the balls for being a bond fan... but whatever I have the new game and novel to i guess be excited about I just ...

I knew the ending 2 years ago when it first leaked and we all found out about it but I was like hoping for some sort of ... hoep that we were wrong or that there would be a chance of ambiguity... a friend up in Section C canada said he is happy.... usually him and I agree but this time...

this making Moonraker, Diamonds Are Forever, A view to a Kill, Die another day, and Spectre look good

I bought my tickets for next thursday I will still go but jeez what a bloody stupid trend to jump in on... I hate to sound like an old fart at only 34 soon to be 3 but remember when films were fun and entertaining?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Found the NTTD gunbarrel online. I'll be honest, it's kinda weird.

Any chance you'll pm it to me? ;)
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 295

Fitting the hero
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Based on all the reviews online, we're seeing a massive disconnect. Vaat majority of casual Bond films not caring if Bond is dead vs small minority of hardcore fans having serious reservations. This is the problem with franchises. They rely on the goodwill of a vast majority of casual fans. The minority is not important. Not one critic review has said "how dare they kill off a cinematic icon!"

You'd think that would be a legitimate reaction from some reviewers but nope... not a peek of disapproval.

Strange times.

STOP TALKING ABOUT ME LIKE I'M SOMEONE WHO JUST SAW THEIR FIRST F#$%ING BOND FILM. "New member" my ass. You just joined these forums to be a troll.

Never mentioned your name. No idea why you're shouting at me. I was giving my opinion.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited September 2021 Posts: 3,018

Any chance you'll pm it to me? ;)
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 9,730

uhm you cant put leaked video like that on the main discussion
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343

Just watched it. I loved it. Even if there’s no blood it’s very cool. Craig’s silhouette fading into the white (light) is a perfect nod to the end of the film.

The Universal logo blending into it didn’t convinced me tho, it felt weird. Cool to see Leo and not his silly CGI replica!
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified

Well that was….certainly strange. Not gonna lie, the way it segues into the PTS was pretty neat.
    That transition with the forest mirrored inside the gun barrel is cool as hell. This is a vast improvement from the last three.
    matt_u wrote: »
    That transition with the forest mirrored inside the gun barrel is cool as hell. This is a vast improvement from the last three.

Yeah, that was really cool.
    NTTD’s gun barrel reminded me, coincidentally, the OHMSS ‘s one where George’s silhouette disappears from the white circle, washed away by the blood. Here’s Craig’s silhouette disappears into the light. Beautiful.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 207
    Risico007 wrote: »
    None. One of the missiles land right in front of him and the explosion engulfs the screen in a light so bright that you can’t see a body or anything, but it’s made clear that he dies. If they say he survives that, it’s more ridiculous than all of of the crazy things in the Moore movies combined.
  • TheNickofItTheNickofIt Devon
    Not keen on the transition from the Universal logo into the actual sequence. The idea is sound but the fade is messy. I quite like the rest of it though...
  • I actually like the gun barrel. A lot better than the last three movies in my opinion.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I love that gun barrel. Very cool. It's perfectly fine to take the traditional elements and twist them around a bit.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 207
    Even though I’m not enthusiastic about the ending of the film, I do like the hint in the gun barrel toward it.