NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    One thing that is nice is that I haven't seen a single person say that Craig is too old for it.

No, but one who does is A.A. Dowd at AV Club, who says Craig is too long in the tooth. Most reviews are lathering lavish praise on Craig’s performance, but Dowd says DC is borderline bored.

https://www.avclub.com/no-time-to-die-is-a-sentimental-unsatisfying-end-to-th-1847765251

I don’t know. I hold Dowd in pretty high regards as a writer, but he’s definitely an outlier on this
  • mtm wrote: »
    One thing that is nice is that I haven't seen a single person say that Craig is too old for it.

No, but one who does is A.A. Dowd at AV Club, who says Craig is too long in the tooth. Most reviews are lathering lavish praise on Craig’s performance, but Dowd says DC is borderline bored.

https://www.avclub.com/no-time-to-die-is-a-sentimental-unsatisfying-end-to-th-1847765251

I don’t know. I hold Dowd in pretty high regards as a writer, but he’s definitely an outlier on this

I used to be a regular reader of the AA club but have gone off them entirely lately. I generally think well of Dowd too, but not so for the platform generally, so I suppose I'll take that review with a grain or two of salt.
    octofinger wrote: »

I used to be a regular reader of the AA club but have gone off them entirely lately. I generally think well of Dowd too, but not so for the platform generally, so I suppose I'll take that review with a grain or two of salt.

Absolutely with you there. AV Club has deteriorated shockingly over the last couple of years. Dowd is the only writer I still read on that site.
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    At this point one has to see it just to find out what people are talking about. There are some head-scratchinh conflicting reports.

Yes I know. One review says there is hardly any action, and other says there is too much.

Oh, Craig looks TERRIFIC in this. Aside from Lazenby I'd go so far as to say he's the Bond actor who looks the best in their final film haha
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    It appears most reviews are positive though here in Belgium the newspaper film reviewer of De Standaard calls the direction terrible, the humour non-existent and the storytelling poor.

He rates it one star out of five with a review that’s been titled Bond reaches end- and lowpoint.

By far the worst-rated NTTD review I’ve come across so far.

Damn.

This is going to be divise. And the worst bit is that we'll be left to this divisive discussion for years.

Who cares what the Belgians think

I hope you’re not being serious.

Of course not. I meant the Dutch. 😄
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    At this point one has to see it just to find out what people are talking about. There are some head-scratchinh conflicting reports.

Yes I know. One review says there is hardly any action, and other says there is too much.

For a franchise that’s 60 years old, fans truly do look for different things. If EON had made a movie like DR. NO where it was made more in the vein of a Fleming spy thriller with minimal action beats I don’t think it would be well received. DN as it is only gets a pass today because it was the first and fans understand the formula wasn’t solidified.
  • Looks like we're up to 91% with 43 reviews! I tend to ignore critic reviews typically other than the ones I like. Still I always hope for a good consensus on a Bond film. We shall see!
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    JoeBond wrote: »
    Looks like we're up to 91% with 43 reviews! I tend to ignore critic reviews typically other than the ones I like. Still I always hope for a good consensus on a Bond film. We shall see!

Nope mate, we are now 88% and 51 reviews. at this low numbers, one negative review bring it all down
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    It appears most reviews are positive though here in Belgium the newspaper film reviewer of De Standaard calls the direction terrible, the humour non-existent and the storytelling poor.

He rates it one star out of five with a review that’s been titled Bond reaches end- and lowpoint.

By far the worst-rated NTTD review I’ve come across so far.

Damn.

This is going to be divise. And the worst bit is that we'll be left to this divisive discussion for years.

Who cares what the Belgians think

I hope you’re not being serious.

Of course not. I meant the Dutch. 😄

Haha! :))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,087

Of course not, the reel has been left on a shelf for 3 years.
  • JoeBond wrote: »
    Looks like we're up to 91% with 43 reviews! I tend to ignore critic reviews typically other than the ones I like. Still I always hope for a good consensus on a Bond film. We shall see!

Nope mate, we are now 88% and 51 reviews. at this low numbers, one negative review bring it all down
    Yep it changed not long after I posted it. Still pretty good overall.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I never cared about what critics think. They're not in our heads in terms of Fandom and I especially don't give two flying fudges about wannabe critics who blog from their mother's basement
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,087
    Mendleson was right about SPECTRE, and he really got the knives out this time, but he says it doesn't fall as low as SPECTRE or Quantum which is a positive. Many people are saying the film starts strong but gets bogged by the second half trying to wrap up loose ends from the other movies. I always said it would have been better to stay away from those plot elements, and make B25 a thematic conclusion for the character rather than a literal "tie everything in a bow" Ending. But they do say that when the movie is just acting as the next Bond adventure, it achieves that. The Rise of Skywalker comparison is apt, because they basically crammed a whole lot of story into one really long movie, and both films are described for their breathless pace, like things keep moving and it's hard to keep up. And they are both trying to carry a lot of weight, especially later, but we still don't know what that means exactly in this case. We do know it's a decent enough conclusion for Craig that tick enough boxes, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I’ve never been particularly fond of hearing what the critics have to say, about Bond or otherwise. When it comes to reviews, this community’s been my barometer to how a new Bond film is received and then, ultimately, it comes down to my own pair of eyes.

I’m just looking forward to seeing NTTD and forgetting all about the positive, yet upsetting and mixed reactions that I’ve read so far. As long as it’s
    better than Spectre, I think I’ll be alright.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,677
    I think there are things in SP that I like, and I’m sure there’ll be things I like in NTTD. The last Bond film I loved in every possible aspect was TB. I find faults in every other Bond film. Since 1965 there hasn’t been a perfect Bond film, IMHO. I still love many of the others. But, for me, they aren’t perfect.

But I do love them. And I’ll love this one.
    Calvin dyson has said that the movie has some of the best of the Craig Bond and also some of the worst. So basically the film is a mixed bag, but with parts that Bond fans can enjoy.
    I respect Dyson and that's interesting. One of the factors I personally look for in my favourite Bond movies (all movies actually) is consistency of tone (hence I love SF). A few reviewers seem unconvinced re this ellement of NTTD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 40,471
    I'm guessing the tone is all over the place, if we're getting ranging thoughts of "too much action" vs. "not enough action" or "the most serious Craig installment yet" vs. "goofy, ridiculous, akin to a Moore era installment." It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Hopefully it works.
    With a production like the one we’ve had, what were we expecting? A miracle?
    Dyson "I do wonder if, for mainstream audiences, it's too much of a shift into camp" ?! I'm getting so many mixed messages re this movie. All will be revealed tomorrow.
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    Dyson said that he'd rank it in the middle of Craig's tenure so CR/SF> NTTD > QoS/SP. Has both highs and lows of Craig's films. He notes that he needs to watch it again before really formulating his full opinions on it.
    He also compares the tone to that of TSWLM
  • I'm ignoring reviews. I like Spectre and the reviews were sniffy about that.
    If it ranks in the middle of Craig's run there is no need to complain about anything. The length is a bit concerning but whatever. At the end of the day it's better to have more of it all since this is his last. I know I would regret it later if they didn't just toss everything possible up on the screen in order to send him off with a bang.

Still, I hope they scale down the spectacle and streamline any future films. Historically they have done just that. After the zaniness of MR we got FYEO and what a fantastic spy thriller that movie is.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Can't imagine people would be calling it "silly" if he died — but I could be wrong.

Maybe he fatally slips on a banana peel.

Hence the Funny AND the Emotionally Heavy ! Ain't that life, though ?
    matt_u wrote: »

After so many films it is perfectly fine to do things differently, and this has been true a long while -- starting with OHMSS ! Never mind the "Purists" - if you just make another one according to formula they'll complain of a lack of originality and that it merely copies other, earlier, superior works. Nonsense. Different group, but over in Star Wars land, if anything is too familiar the criticism erupts for copying earlier work, and if anything is different they whine, piss and moan about that. Screw 'em all. Make art. Do good work.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    If it ranks in the middle of Craig's run there is no need to complain about anything. The length is a bit concerning but whatever. At the end of the day it's better to have more of it all since this is his last. I know I would regret it later if they didn't just toss everything possible up on the screen in order to send him off with a bang.

Still, I hope they scale down the spectacle and streamline any future films. Historically they have done just that. After the zaniness of MR we got FYEO and what a fantastic spy thriller that movie is.

Given the inevitable hit this film will have to take with its triple marketing campaigns, that may be an inevitability.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agreed. The films needn't keep increasing in budget and runtime, that's for sure. Sometimes you can do a lot more when you're more constrained.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    After 5 years a lot of people still say that SP has Moore-esque influences. I remember that back in 2015 the mantra was Craig meets Moore, SP meets camp. I still don’t see any Moore-esque stuff in SP. So I don’t bother those camp comments.