Saying goodbye to DC, the final scene...ideas.

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    I just want it to be a fist pumping positive one for an actor who has done so much for the franchise.

I concur

I think Bond will die in Madeleine's arms. There has been a theme throughout the Craig films of people close to him dying in his arms. I think it mirror that nicely to no have that happen to 007. The fate that he saw so many suffer becomes his own.

hqdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20150427075739
    6ae22a6f5e3bb312724b04d2646bb2ca.jpg

ooooooohh? Could be quite controversial that one? But I can certainly see your point?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2020 Posts: 563
    I've always maintained that they can do whatever they want if they can make it work, but I can't really imagine Bond dying and it being satisfying. Actually, I think the best way to end it would be a more classic ending with Craig in Lea's (or even Ana's) arms after killing Malek. They don't even have to tell us whether he goes back to MI6 or not. Just end it like GE, with a shot of the rescue choppers approaching in the distance. Not the most original ending I know. But we haven't had one for a while.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    We had a traditional ending in SP when bond ends with a girl in Aston Martin. Yes it didn't end with a kiss but it was close to traditional.
    Bond saves the day.Kills the bad guy.Gets the girl.Retires from MI6 for good this time to be with Madeline.

Then they both die from Covid-19.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Bond saves the day.Kills the bad guy.Gets the girl.Retires from MI6 for good this time to be with Madeline.

Then they both die from Covid-19.

Haha!
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837
    I just want a definitive, closed ending. Keep the Craig era as its own seperate thing. I think that’d be the most dramatically satisfying option, after the last few films have made a point of giving him an ongoing arc, and it also has the advantage of keeping some of the missteps away from any future Bond films (e.g. they could use Blofeld without him being his brother, or have an M and Moneypenny played by actors lower enough in profile to give small roles).

Him dying could be cool. The Craig era will be remembered for its risks and subversions of the traditional formula, and Bond being killed would be the ultimate example of that. A daring way to finish that run off and potentially a very dramatic, emotional ending.

I disagree with those saying it’d confuse audiences too, if they killed him then rebooted with the next one. We’ve had how many Batmen and Spidermen now? This is how films are now. Reboots aren’t a confusing concept at all.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I very much doubt they will kill him off, but if they do I won t mind.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Once again agree @thelivingroyale, and like with any concept in any film, if it's done right, it could be a most worthy ending. And as you say, whether he dies or not, a definitive, closed ending is probably the better option. It'll give the producers and the following actors free reign over the route they take for the next era, rather than being tied down by overarching narratives and commitments.

As for audience confusion, I think that'll come more from the clickbait articles that'll try and tell everyone "whats gonna happen" before EON have even made any decisions, which is to be expected these days. There'll be people who are led to believe Craig's Bond will be brought back in some TMWTGG-type scenario, and they'll be some who believe Nomi really is the next James Bond, which will be egged on by these articles.

And hopefully most of us will sit in the bliss knowing that James Bond will return with a fresh face and a new era for us to get excited about.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Once again agree @thelivingroyale, and like with any concept in any film, if it's done right, it could be a most worthy ending. And as you say, whether he dies or not, a definitive, closed ending is probably the better option. It'll give the producers and the following actors free reign over the route they take for the next era, rather than being tied down by overarching narratives and commitments.

As for audience confusion, I think that'll come more from the clickbait articles that'll try and tell everyone "whats gonna happen" before EON have even made any decisions, which is to be expected these days. There'll be people who are led to believe Craig's Bond will be brought back in some TMWTGG-type scenario, and they'll be some who believe Nomi really is the next James Bond, which will be egged on by these articles.

And hopefully most of us will sit in the bliss knowing that James Bond will return with a fresh face and a new era for us to get excited about.

I think you are dismissing the tabloid tittle tattle too readily. If Bond dies at the end of NTTD then there will be numerous calls for it to end permanently, or for the series to continue with Nomi as the lead (and there will be denunciations of a man returning in the role if and when the series resumes). This will seep into the consciousness of the public and risks the entire franchise. As I have said before, young people don't like Bond in the same way as they used to. The whole thing is on borrowed time anyway, and EON have seemingly done everything they can to speed up the process of ending the series.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869

I think you are dismissing the tabloid tittle tattle too readily. If Bond dies at the end of NTTD then there will be numerous calls for it to end permanently, or for the series to continue with Nomi as the lead (and there will be denunciations of a man returning in the role if and when the series resumes). This will seep into the consciousness of the public and risks the entire franchise. As I have said before, young people don't like Bond in the same way as they used to. The whole thing is on borrowed time anyway, and EON have seemingly done everything they can to speed up the process of ending the series.
    But do they need the franchise to become what it used to be right now? and are EON that beyond getting people on board when they have a chance reinvigorate the franchise again? The franchise still makes a lot of money, and still sells tickets. And after No Time to Die, with a new James Bond on the cards, they have the best chance to get people onboard again. But time will tell, and we'll see what happens. I don't think we're at doomsday just yet that's for sure.

And also I dismiss the tabloid tittle tattle because while it's inevitable, it also eventually can be moved past. The franchise has hit this wall with the press many times and survived. Granted, in a different way, but I think it's very easy for people to get heated and frustrated in the moment, but after some time people will "forgive and forget" by the time news of Bond 26 comes around, unless they actually did decide to have Nomi be the new James Bond, which isn't going to happen.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837

But do they need the franchise to become what it used to be right now? and are EON that beyond getting people on board when they have a chance reinvigorate the franchise again? The franchise still makes a lot of money, and still sells tickets. And after No Time to Die, with a new James Bond on the cards, they have the best chance to get people onboard again. But time will tell, and we'll see what happens. I don't think we're at doomsday just yet that's for sure.

And also I dismiss the tabloid tittle tattle because while it's inevitable, it also eventually can be moved past. The franchise has hit this wall with the press many times and survived. Granted, in a different way, but I think it's very easy for people to get heated and frustrated in the moment, but after some time people will "forgive and forget" by the time news of Bond 26 comes around, unless they actually did decide to have Nomi be the new James Bond, which isn't going to happen.

Completely agree. To be honest I don’t even think anyone would get frustrated. There’d be a few articles from woke types saying Nomi should take over. A few articles from right wing outlets saying she is taking over, to bait out the PC gone mad Partridge types. But like most things in this culture war, it wouldn’t have an impact on normal people at all. Eventually it’d pass and they’d reboot with another actor, and nobody would care. I’m not expecting Bond 26 til the end of the decade anyway, so I reckon most people will have forgotten about the whole thing by then.

And I really doubt the whole thing is on borrowed time. Bond is one of the biggest brands in cinema, and Skyfall and Spectre are two of the highest grossing films of all time in the UK. Even if the next one flopped, they’d still try rebooting it in a few years. Hollywood doesn’t do originality anymore and Bond is one of its most iconic franchises. It’ll outlive all of us.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Completely agree. To be honest I don’t even think anyone would get frustrated. There’d be a few articles from woke types saying Nomi should take over. A few articles from right wing outlets saying she is taking over, to bait out the PC gone mad Partridge types. But like most things in this culture war, it wouldn’t have an impact on normal people at all. Eventually it’d pass and they’d reboot with another actor, and nobody would care. I’m not expecting Bond 26 til the end of the decade anyway, so I reckon most people will have forgotten about the whole thing by then.

And I really doubt the whole thing is on borrowed time. Bond is one of the biggest brands in cinema, and Skyfall and Spectre are two of the highest grossing films of all time in the UK. Even if the next one flopped, they’d still try rebooting it in a few years. Hollywood doesn’t do originality anymore and Bond is one of its most iconic franchises. It’ll outlive all of us.

The culture war is more polarising and hot than it has ever been. The 'normal people' who are unaffected by it are declining in numbers as the years go by. The future is streaming platforms, and people interacting via social media. I am not saying Bond won't exist, but if it does it will be in a form that is unrecognisable. I obviously hope both of you are correct and I am wrong. But I have to say I am pessimistic about the future. It maybe affects me more because I haven't really enjoyed Craig's tenure as much as some of you for a variety of reasons.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I really hope that it ends with Bond in bed with De Armas, like a traditional Bond film. End credits...James Bond will return.

Of course we won't get that, but one can hope.
    How about Bond faking his own death and living happily ever after with Madeline.Sort of paying off on what Mallory said to him in Skyfall '' You had the perfect out,you could have just stayed dead ''.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Amnesia could help.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    We will believe Bond is dead. Madeleine will be left to raise their child.

Then, somewhere on the shore of a nearby island, an overhead shot: a man swimming and reaching the beach. We can't make out who it is. Then, suddenly, a flare goes up, and a tent inflates. It is the union jack (a shot similar to that in TSWLM). The Bond theme blasts. And there, sitting under the tent, is Bond, a wry smile on his face.

Fade Out.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    The movie will end simply with Bond walking off into the sunset after a successful mission. Fade to black. Then out comes the words "James Bond Will Return." Followed by the end credits with the Bond theme playing. Simple and classy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 10,588
    TripAces wrote: »
    We will believe Bond is dead. Madeleine will be left to raise their child.

Then, somewhere on the shore of a nearby island, an overhead shot: a man swimming and reaching the beach. We can't make out who it is. Then, suddenly, a flare goes up, and a tent inflates. It is the union jack (a shot similar to that in TSWLM). The Bond theme blasts. And there, sitting under the tent, is Bond, a wry smile on his face.

Fade Out.
    I’ve been thinking about how this film might end and I have a strong feeling that it’ll end in similar style to The Bourne Ultimatum, in that we are lead to believe the protagonist is dead until the very last moment where we are given an indication, direct or indirect, that they are in fact alive. Bearing that in mind, anyone else also get the impression that this snippet from the orchestral version of Eilish’s song might be the ending music to NTTD? It would make a lot of sense:

• Bond escapes Safin's Castle of Death with a bullet grazing the side of his skull, and he is amnesia ridden. He doesn't know who he is anymore and sails off into the sunset to find out who he is - basically the ending to YOLT.

This opens nicely for the next actor, and to finally use the brilliant opening of TMWTGG for the PTS.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I don’t think it will happen @jetsetwilly, only because making the new James Bond actor a follow-on from Craig’s era is just a bad idea imo, narratively, especially if they get a much younger guy, which is probably gonna be the case.
    Bond escapes Safin's Castle of Death with a bullet grazing the side of his skull, and he is amnesia ridden. He doesn't know who he is anymore and sails off into the sunset to find out who he is - basically the ending to YOLT.

This opens nicely for the next actor, and to finally use the brilliant opening of TMWTGG for the PTS.

Let’s hope they think of that. I’d love it!
    After being poisoned by some gene-altering substance in Safin s lair, he returns home , and while staring into the mirror (just like in CR after killing Obama) his face transforms into that of the next actor.
    JAMES BOND WILL RETURN
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    After being poisoned by some gene-altering substance in Safin s lair, he returns home , and while staring into the mirror (just like in CR after killing Obama) his face transforms into that of the next actor.
    JAMES BOND WILL RETURN

Is this confirmed? Makes perfectly sense to me.
    JAMES BOND WILL RETURN

Yes, would be really weird if this doesn t happen.
    JAMES BOND WILL RETURN

Yes, would be really weird if this doesn t happen.

Yes, sometimes the most obvious decision is also the best.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd love to see it be something similar to either Casino or Skyfall. An ending that leaves you with a smile on your face.
    I don't want Bond to die and I don't want an open-ended ending. I thought that was a big problem with Spectre, I wasn't thinking about the bits of the film I loved, I was left wondering if Bond had retired and if that really was Daniel's last film

Forget these elaborate endings, let's just have Bond survive in an orange dingy with Paloma
    A classic ending like the Connery or Moore ones would be great...but very unlikely...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Bond is presumed dead after he heroically saved the day at the base. Everybody mourns him. Swann drives the V8 that Bond left at her cabin in Norway through the Italian coastline. She enters Matera. She drives to the hotel where they spent their “honeymoon” 5 years before. She arrives and, shocked, she sees the DB5 parked in front of it. The JB theme kicks in. Both Swann and audience understand Bond is alive. Cut to black. “JB will return”. The end.
    Not bad at all. Who “deserves“ to be seen in the last moment of the movie if it isn t including Bond? If Swann is an enough likeable character in NTTD, I'm definitely fine when the movie ends with her, i.e. a smile of her...
  • Rapsodia_154Rapsodia_154 Aragon
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bond is presumed dead after he heroically saved the day at the base. Everybody mourns him. Swann drives the V8 that Bond left at her cabin in Norway through the Italian coastline. She enters Matera. She drives to the hotel where they spent their “honeymoon” 5 years before. She arrives and, shocked, she sees the DB5 parked in front of it. The JB theme kicks in. Both Swann and audience understand Bond is alive. Cut to black. “JB will return”. The end.

Love it!!!