Saying goodbye to DC, the final scene...ideas.

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Has anyone seen this…..

There has been such confused reporting on this point. First it was said in August 2018 that Boyle didn’t want to kill Bond now. Then in April 2019, it was his idea to kill Bond and apparently the thing that got him kicked off…………………..

Personally, I can’t see how they can’t kill off Craig’s 007. He already got the film where he quit and returned to active service at the end (SF) and then he got the film where he resigned properly and rode off in the sunset (SP).

We have already seen him as a rookie agent (CR) and mature into 007 (QOS). What else is there to do with the character aside kill him off?

There isn’t a cat in hell’s chance that Broccoli and Fukunaga are going to do a routine Bond film with Craig where he completes his mission and the film ends. In fact, he isn’t going to be an MI6 agent for a huge chunk of NTTD.

So something has to happen. I’m pretty certain that it will be James Bond’s death……….
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Well, he wasn't quite mature in QOS. He was in SP, actually. In QoS he was blinded by anger and always on the point of crossing the line. But I agree, something should happen to close this era in a unique way.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A cliffhanger where he may or may not die would be a better approach
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For an ending, not sure if it's been suggested that Bond fake slitting his wrists toward mission's end. For effect.
    Another idea:

Bond and Moneypenny sit on the same bench (SF) in the art gallery looking quietly at the same painting.

MP: You know, they told me never to have favourites.

Bond: That sounds like good advice.

Another pause.

Bond: I almost forget.

Bond hands MP the same metal box from the SF scene. He stands up. MP continues to stare at the painting, trying to "keep it together". Bond leans over, gently kisses her on the head.

Bond: Goodbye Moneypenny.

He walks away into the crowd. Moneypenny, now alone, opens the box and sees the pistol and the radio. A tear runs down her cheek.

MP:Goodbye James.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Yikes, too melodramatic.
  • patb wrote: »
    Another idea:

Bond and Moneypenny sit on the same bench (SF) in the art gallery looking quietly at the same painting.

MP: You know, they told me never to have favourites.

Bond: That sounds like good advice.

Another pause.

Bond: I almost forget.

Bond hands MP the same metal box from the SF scene. He stands up. MP continues to stare at the painting, trying to "keep it together". Bond leans over, gently kisses her on the head.

Bond: Goodbye Moneypenny.

He walks away into the crowd. Moneypenny, now alone, opens the box and sees the pistol and the radio. A tear runs down her cheek.

MP:Goodbye James.

Eurgh...a little cloying and self-aware. We all know it's Daniel Craig's last film as 007 but the characters in the story aren't.

It's a difficult needle to thread. But there are ways to neatly close the arc and address the finality of the story.

1.) The Happy Ending:

Spectre-1384.jpg

Firstly, you can have Bond retire and live happily with Madeleine. Craig's Bond began as a bruised, egotistical blunt instrument. Nonetheless, he struggled with the decisions he made. In particular, murdering people. He met Vesper and saw another life. However, she betrayed him. Madeleine was seemingly a Vesper surrogate. Only this time, she was loyal.

It looks like NTTD will show that (much like Vesper) Madeleine will too betray Bond. Therefore, NTTD will test their relationship and at the end, Bond and Madeleine's relationship is solidified and they drive off into the sunset. He gets his happy ending.

2.) Bond returns to MI6:

Spectre-1357.jpg

This is the more difficult ending to pull off. Bond returning to MI6 may seem trite. However, much is dependent on execution. If Madeleine and him resolve their issues and he makes the conscious decision to not be with her, then it may work. After all, Bond always wanted a normal life in the novel but knew he had to be the 'silhouette.' It would go back to the roots of Fleming. We all remember that ending of the Moonraker novel.

3.) The Death of James Bond:

Spectre-0965.jpg

If there was a time to do this story arc, it's now. Craig's films have clearly shown that his Bond is ageing and there is a clear serialisation to the storytelling. We have seen him as a newly-recruited 00 on his first mission. It would therefore come full circle that we would see his last mission. It would complete a clear five-film arc.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think he’ll be offered such a big pay cheque for one more that he’ll return for number 6.
    Objections to an ending with melodrama are very fair but, from what I have seen so far of NTTD, there is plenty there already so a dramatic ending to the DC era could be in keeping?
    patb wrote: »
    Objections to an ending with melodrama are very fair but, from what I have seen so far of NTTD, there is plenty there already so a dramatic ending to the DC era could be in keeping?

I’m coming around to the idea that Bond takes on the role of the ‘silhouette’……

It jibed with me that Mendes chose such a picture-esque ending for SP. Especially if it was intended for Craig’s final Bond film.

I’m not the biggest fan of Fleming, but one thing I adore is his characterisation of Bond in those more morose and contemplative passages. The idea of the weary killer who resigns himself to a life he’d rather not be living.

Anyone who has read the last chapter of Moonraker understands that. Maybe this is the actual fitting end to the Craig era?

It be different to SF as Bond returning to MI6 was celebratory in that film. Here it would be with a heavy heart.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 2020 Posts: 2,520
    This is my biggest concern with this film is how they end it (that and the whole Nomi 007 thing, but I digress) because I feel most endings will feel unsatisfying. I think this because in my opinion every Bond film in Daniel's run has had a great ending (not including Spectre) and I think they've been so varied, which ever they go for will either feel like a redo or a disappointment

I think the best ending for me would have been Quantum's, had we not seen it, because that was one of my favourite parts of that film.

I'd like to see them do something similar to QOS, Bond has got away and has vanished into the shadows. Like @Pierce2Daniel mentioned the last chapter of Moonraker, "The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette". That would feel like a perfect book end to Daniel's run as Bond. The first time we see him he appears from the shadows in Dryden's office, the last time we see him he disappears into the shadows.

I can't even think about the possibility of Bond dying or even hinting at him dying
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 565
    I think it would be fun for whatever way NTTD ends, that the next Bond picks up from there.

Example: Say that the last scene shows DC fading into a silhouette. Then the new Bond should emerge from a silhouette, perhaps in a similar setting but intentionally different.

From a PR standpoint, I think it would be wise to leave it open ended for fans to guess whether it is a continuation of the DC timeline, a return to the "normal" timeline, or a creation of a new one altogether. Give enough to suggest any which way is correct.

I love the loose ambiguity the Bond films traditionally have had, because so often these franchises are stiching a timeline for you and sometimes when they take themselves too seriously, it just makes an ugly mess. This way no one can be wrong or right and it generates debate and interest.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I think he’ll be offered such a big pay cheque for one more that he’ll return for number 6.
    Or will/did the creative team of Fukunaga and all come up with a killer follow-on concept that still fits Craig. To execute for BOND 26.
    Bond slashes his wrists,because he couldnt be bothered doing another mission.The End.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    https://www.gq.com/story/daniel-craig-james-bond-no-time-to-die-cover-2020

This article from GQ seems to shed light on the ending of No Time To Die.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Given that pace that they make the films these days,Craig should be about 60 by the time they start filming!
    Had a new thought about the final scene of NTTD. If Bond survives, perhaps we see him on a new mission or in retirement.

Basically in the final scene have him meet someone for the first time. Then that person can ask, 'Who are you?' Cut to Bond who just gives a sly smile. Cue credits and Bond theme.

It be a neat way to end the Craig era as CR ended with the iconic line and theme. Here, you can just hint towards it before cutting to black. The audience know what comes next. It'll put a huge grin on the audience's faces when they walk out of cinemas.

giphy.gif

Going to be interested to come back in November and see who got the ending correctly....
    Well, it's an opportunity for the writers to create one of the great Bond scenes of all time. I hope they "don't cock it up"
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Bond having a cig would be a good 2 finger to the PC brigade,

It's not offensive or anti-PC, it's just lame.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think I've said this before, but if he dies, I'd like something kinda like what they did with the end of Blade Runner 2049. I'll put the clip in spoiler tags for those who haven't seen the film.
    On his own "bleeding to death" is a decent enough concept and, also, you can pass out from blood loss so it can be left open re was it a "death scene"
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,554
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think I've said this before, but if he dies, I'd like something kinda like what they did with the end of Blade Runner 2049. I'll put the clip in spoiler tags for those who haven't seen the film.

I love this film, love the ending, @Denbigh .

My only concern is that with Craig, it would mimic the ending of Layer Cake.
    That's a really good point re LC but a couple of thoughts. LC was a revenge killing at at a time when the character was about to turn his back. Plus the tone was rather gangster with blood all over and little time for thought. With Bond, I would assume the wound would be gained in a successful attempt re escape/protection plus (as with BR) it would be a smaller wound, allowing the character (and the audience) to reflect and perhaps say goodbye.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    That's a really good point re LC but a couple of thoughts. LC was a revenge killing at at a time when the character was about to turn his back. Plus the tone was rather gangster with blood all over and little time for thought. With Bond, I would assume the wound would be gained in a successful attempt re escape/protection plus (as with BR) it would be a smaller wound, allowing the character (and the audience) to reflect and perhaps say goodbye.
    The only thing I'm thinking are the similarities with M in Skyfall, who died from blood-loss, but if done right it might even make the death more poignant.

And yes @TripAces, it's a great film. I really hope Denis gets to do a Bond film at some point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond dies, but then it turns out it was just a clone.
    Madeline at Bonds grave,an old woman walks by and says '' No ones been here in years,who are you? ''

Madeline looks off into the distance,sees the force ghost of Bond and says...

'' Madeline.......Madeline Bond ''
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Madeline at Bonds grave,an old woman walks by and says '' No ones been here in years,who are you? ''

Madeline looks off into the distance,sees the force ghost of Bond and says...

'' Madeline.......Madeline Bond ''

Brilliant.
    How about

"Bond... Madeleine Bond."

But I think the film will have a Fleming flourish of an ending. Nice to consider the possibilities while we can.
    I just want it to be a fist pumping positive one for an actor who has done so much for the franchise.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I just want it to be a fist pumping positive one for an actor who has done so much for the franchise.

I concur

I think Bond will die in Madeleine's arms. There has been a theme throughout the Craig films of people close to him dying in his arms. I think it mirror that nicely to no have that happen to 007. The fate that he saw so many suffer becomes his own.

hqdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20150427075739
    6ae22a6f5e3bb312724b04d2646bb2ca.jpg